Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 839 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that The B1G is in the cards, but I truly hope that The ACC or Big 12 is. There needs to be stability in both basketball/football scheduling and a revenue stream that allows the AD to maintain its high levels of success.
I imagine one day, those in the B1G will think "you know, it would be nice to be able to win a title in basketball".

Reaction Score
That's the issue with The Big East. Despite the nostalgia of the return along with a handful of shorter trips, it will never be a natural fit for UConn. When you have 10 teams aligned in both their athletic and economic vision for what a conference should be, and 1 team essentially caught between two worlds there will always be tension.

I'm not sure that The B1G is in the cards, but I truly hope that The ACC or Big 12 is. There needs to be stability in both basketball/football scheduling and a revenue stream that allows the AD to maintain its high levels of success.
I think we are having success in the big east

Reaction Score
Maybe...the magnetic poles will once again shift...

Basketball ...could it start carrying more weight ?

The magnetic poles switched in the 90's. Basketball was more of the breadwinner than football and then..boom ! Football started taking off in media contracts.

Example...When FSU joined the ACC, FSU made about 40% more per year than the top SEC school. In 1995, FSU's ACC payout was $5.6 million. The top SEC school was just under $4 million. As late as 2001, FSU's payout from the ACC was $9.5 million, while the top SEC school (Kentucky) pulled in just over $7 million.

From the time FSU joined the ACC until the early 2000s, the ACC was the most "lucrative" conference in college athletics. And Swofford has said that the conference did not see the pole switch coming but tried to recover. A basketball conference in a football world. But, like an ocean liner, conference culture does not swiftly turn.

The question is...will basketball start to regain more of a monetary share ?

Reaction Score

The magnetic poles switched in the 90's. Basketball was more of the breadwinner than football and then..boom ! Football started taking off in media contracts.

Example...When FSU joined the ACC, FSU made about 40% more per year than the top SEC school. In 1995, FSU's ACC payout was $5.6 million. The top SEC school was just under $4 million. As late as 2001, FSU's payout from the ACC was $9.5 million, while the top SEC school (Kentucky) pulled in just over $7 million.

From the time FSU joined the ACC until the early 2000s, the ACC was the most "lucrative" conference in college athletics. And Swofford has said that the conference did not see the pole switch coming but tried to recover. A basketball conference in a football world. But, like an ocean liner, conference culture does not swiftly turn.

I don't think so. 30 or so regular season BB games per team vs. 12 FB games. Except for the fans of a specific team, the casual fan isn't interested in that many BB games which translates to fewer advertising $$ which translates to lesser media contract $$ until March Madness.

Reaction Score
I think we are having success in the big east
In basketball without a doubt. UConn Men's Basketball is the class of the NCAA. Personally, I think it has more to do with Hurley being a stud coach than The Big East being some kind of magic elixir, however you might not have Hurley if the program remained in the AAC.

Football however remains a problem. The school is going to have to decide if they want to compete at a high G5/Low P5 Level and fund the program appropriately or deemphasize the sport altogether. There is no universe where the Womens' Basketball Coaching Staff should be better funded than the school's FBS Football Team.

I'm not sure it is sustainable playing 2-3 regional foes, a bunch of completely random G5 matchups, and a handful of body bag games year in and out. JMO but UConn needs to do whatever is in their power to position themselves for the next upheaval. The ACC or B12, whichever is open for business needs to be the end goal.

Reaction Score

Maybe FSU should have to pay back that sum, when they were making more than SEC schools. Seems only fair given their current arguments.

Reaction Score
Huh?

I don't understand...if the argument is fair dealing, open and transparent (they have only asked the court to define what the contracts mean)...I don't see it.

If you mean general unhappiness with the ACC...I think DLandy said something re UConn that hit me as also true for FSU..

That's the issue with The Big East. Despite the nostalgia of the return along with a handful of shorter trips, it will never be a natural fit for UConn. When you have 10 teams aligned in both their athletic and economic vision for what a conference should be, and 1 team essentially caught between two worlds there will always be tension.

And FSU is caught between two worlds...their primary rival is an SEC team, they recruit from the same areas as the SEC..the campus is 30 miles from the Georgia border and 90 miles from Alabama.

FSU is a football school and basketball may not even be the second sport....

Never really a comfortable member of the Tobacco Road culture...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Huh?

I don't understand...if the argument is fair dealing, open and transparent (they have only asked the court to define what the contracts mean)...I don't see it.

If you mean general unhappiness with the ACC...I think DLandy said something re UConn that hit me as also true for FSU..

And FSU is caught between two worlds...their primary rival is an SEC team, they recruit from the same areas as the SEC..the campus is 30 miles from the Georgia border and 90 miles from Alabama.

FSU is a football school and basketball may not even be the second sport....

Never really a comfortable member of the Tobacco Road culture...
Are you saying the ACC is starting to resemble the Old Big East ? We all know how that worked out .

Reaction Score
The OBE was always partial to a faction...and the power of the ACC has been Tobacco Road...

North Carolina has four teams in the conference, the ACC offices are in North Carolina, the majority of championship tournaments will be in North Carolina...Swofford was a UNC Old Boy with a building on campus named for him.

Clemson and FSU have always been the uncool kids...football programs that live in the midst of the SEC. Duke and UNC are basketball powers and they see themselves as the original and still, flagbearers of the ACC.

Yeah...the ACC has big problems...BC and Syracuse never fulfilled the promise of more viewers because they would bring in tons from Massachusetts and New York....And, with football paying the bills, Wake, Duke, Virginia, and UNC don't move the dial..

Much like the OBE...conflicting interests.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has mentioned this:

IMG_1869.jpeg

Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has mentioned this:

View attachment 100261

I think we’ve reached the stage of fan fatigue/apathy (I know I have). Get to an end product/format and recalibrate.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What for?

A potential $4+ billion settlement against the P5 for unpaid NIL going back years. I look forward for your explanation for how it will be bad for UConn.

Reaction Score
A potential $4+ billion settlement against the P5 for unpaid NIL going back years. I look forward for your explanation for how it will be bad for UConn.
Not in a million years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not in a million years.

Why do you jump to the trolls' protection every chance you get if it is a story that could be spun as bad for UConn?

As for the "not in a million years", you should call the P5 leagues immediately and tell them they are going to be victorious in this litigation, because it looks like they are planning to settle. It is good that you, an Internet poster, know more about this situation than they do.

Reaction Score
Why do you jump to the trolls' protection every chance you get if it is a story that could be spun as bad for UConn?

As for the "not in a million years", you should call the P5 leagues immediately and tell them they are going to be victorious in this litigation, because it looks like they are planning to settle. It is good that you, an Internet poster, know more about this situation than they do.

why do you want to turn UConn into Seton Hall?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
why do you want to turn UConn into Seton Hall?

You literally just defended the two trolls, while I have never said I want UConn to be Seton Hall, making that a silly justification for your anti-UConn, doom and gloom trolling.

Reaction Score
You literally just defended the two trolls, while I have never said I want UConn to be Seton Hall, making that a silly justification for your anti-UConn, doom and gloom trolling.
People aren't trolls because they disagree with you. You said something quite outrageous. For instance the idea that the schools retroactively owe money to players. They don't. If they do there is no limiting factor. Should a lineman from 1972 get his money not given to him?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom