Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 85 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only thing I said was if all independents are forced to join conferences that I would hope the AAC would add Army and Air Force to boost the tv contract. If you're Army and you are being FORCED to join a conference why would they choose to join any conference besides the AAC? They're not getting into a P5. And I never said this was happening antime soon. All I said was if they're forced to join one the AAC should get them.

They won't be forced so it's not worth worrying about but in hypothetical land I'd expect they would end up in the MAC.

pj

Reaction Score
On that topic but independent of my response to Terry, I think the independence excuse is bunk anyhow; or rather, hypocritical. If Notre Dame were really about an identity of independence, they should have never joined a league for all the other sports. To say 'we're Notre Dame, we value our independence' but proceed to join a conference in all other sports beyond football devalues that stance.

The reality is that if that ideal is one Notre Dame values, it sold out long ago when it joined the Big East.

It's a good observation but it only establishes that Notre Dame values money first, independence second. That still may distinguish Notre Dame from other universities which value money first and money second.

Reaction Score
It's a good observation but it only establishes that Notre Dame values money first, independence second. That still may distinguish Notre Dame from other universities which value money first and money second.

ND would have made much more money in the Big Ten, but did not want to be there. If money were all that ND was about, it would have gotten on board the BTN train. It did not.

Reaction Score
In broadcasting school, we had an exercise where we constantly had to listen to recordings of our monologues. We never realized how many times we say "um" or "like," etc. until we go back and actually listen. Others hear it, but we often don't hear it ourselves.

Perhaps you'd benefit from this exercise going back and re-reading your posts on this subject over the years. You might realize how it comes across to others around you. No matter how you spin it, there is a bit of underlying arrogance when it comes to wanting independence. There's really no other way around that. But even if your intentions are as you say, and I have no reason to suggest you're lying, understand the frequency and tone in which you say these things over and over provide for a very annoying experience to those you're conversing with. It becomes like nails on a chalkboard after a while.
In broadcasting school, we had an exercise where we constantly had to listen to recordings of our monologues. We never realized how many times we say "um" or "like," etc. until we go back and actually listen. Others hear it, but we often don't hear it ourselves.

Perhaps you'd benefit from this exercise going back and re-reading your posts on this subject over the years. You might realize how it comes across to others around you. No matter how you spin it, there is a bit of underlying arrogance when it comes to wanting independence. There's really no other way around that. But even if your intentions are as you say, and I have no reason to suggest you're lying, understand the frequency and tone in which you say these things over and over provide for a very annoying experience to those you're conversing with. It becomes like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

Interesting. Self reflection is always good. Do Big Ten folks realize this chalkboard thing when they incessantly brag about their TV contracts and BTN money, how smart Delany is, how they can pluck any school from anywhere, etc..etc...?

Reaction Score
ND would have made much more money in the Big Ten, but did not want to be there. If money were all that ND was about, it would have gotten on board the BTN train. It did not.

ND football prints money.

Therefore "ND doesn't want BTN money" = non sequitur

Last edited:
Reaction Score

http://frankthetank.me/2015/07/29/big-12-expansion-or-contraction-watch-out-for-oklahoma/

"...I don’t position this blog as a newsbreaking site, but I have heard from a knowledgeable person with extensive contacts with current and former Big 12 members (i.e. knew specific details about Nebraska heading to the Big Ten and Texas A&M to the SEC beforehand that couldn’t have been simply guessed from the news) that basically had this to say: Oklahoma isn’t happy with the Big 12 and wants to get out...."

"....Ah yes – Texas. The Longhorns aren’t oblivious to their rivals to the north. In a perfect world for Texas (as described to me by my Big 12 guy), they would want to join the ACC as full members with… wait for it… Notre Dame. Apparently, the UT people are convinced that the new College Football Playoff system will eventually drive the Irish to join a conference and Texas wants to be right alongside them. In turn, UT would also have Oklahoma and Kansas follow along to create an 18-school ACC behemoth.... "

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

http://frankthetank.me/2015/07/29/big-12-expansion-or-contraction-watch-out-for-oklahoma/

"...I don’t position this blog as a newsbreaking site, but I have heard from a knowledgeable person with extensive contacts with current and former Big 12 members (i.e. knew specific details about Nebraska heading to the Big Ten and Texas A&M to the SEC beforehand that couldn’t have been simply guessed from the news) that basically had this to say: Oklahoma isn’t happy with the Big 12 and wants to get out...."

"....Ah yes – Texas. The Longhorns aren’t oblivious to their rivals to the north. In a perfect world for Texas (as described to me by my Big 12 guy), they would want to join the ACC as full members with… wait for it… Notre Dame. Apparently, the UT people are convinced that the new College Football Playoff system will eventually drive the Irish to join a conference and Texas wants to be right alongside them. In turn, UT would also have Oklahoma and Kansas follow along to create an 18-school ACC behemoth.... "

Dismisses insane post...wait what, frank said this? Oh chit.

Reaction Score
J C even the likes of the Dallas Cowboys are in a conference. F ND and all that independence BS. Unless ND wants to leave the NCAA, it is part of the system one way or the other, and today it is more part of the ACC than anything else, for whatever that is worth.

Reaction Score

Kyleslamb= Joe D?????

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Interesting. Self reflection is always good. Do Big Ten folks realize this chalkboard thing when they incessantly brag about their TV contracts and BTN money, how smart Delany is, how they can pluck any school from anywhere, etc..etc...?

Let's not generalize all fans here, Terry. The majority of the Big10 fans on this forum are not like you describe. There have been some, but they usually don't last long. On other boards? Absolutely, but the SEC, ACC, Big12, and ND fans are just as obnoxious. It's different here (and that's why I like it). When the natives start telling you that you are being obnoxious, arrogant, or just plain disrespectful, it's time to look in the mirror. You and I are guests in their house and should act as such.

I don't think you mean to, but the constant reminders of how ND goes it alone says they are above any and all conferences. It's like saying. . . "We would never consort with such organizations and anybody who thinks we would doesn't understand our position in the structure of college athletics." That pretty damn arrogant, and this comes from a fan whose fanbase is about as arrogant as they come. There's a poster over on the VT board who claims that Michigan was about to switch to the ACC and has said that many times. I brought it over here for discussion once, but I don't feel the need to correct that person. Sometimes just letting things go is the better course.

Reaction Score

You are either the least self aware person on this board, or the most delusionally arrogant. No small accomplishment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, I don't find Terry to be arrogant. I do find him to be repetitive, predictable and prone to engaging in a decade old Big 10/ND pissing contest on a UConn board. It's not particularly interesting to this audience, even in the off season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Um...

It's a lot easier when replying to an Ohio State fan...

They call them themselves THE! Ohio State University.

It's fun watching people in glass houses fires stones at each other.

Reaction Score
Actually, the Buckeyes and Wolverines get along pretty well on this board.

Just wait though... As soon as you get your invite more of them will stop by to give you a heads up about the arrogant Michigan fans.

Reaction Score
On that topic but independent of my response to Terry, I think the independence excuse is bunk anyhow; or rather, hypocritical. If Notre Dame were really about an identity of independence, they should have never joined a league for all the other sports. To say 'we're Notre Dame, we value our independence' but proceed to join a conference in all other sports beyond football devalues that stance.

The reality is that if that ideal is one Notre Dame values, it sold out long ago when it joined the Big East.

really?

While you may detect arrogance in an Irish poster...I detect a degree of Notre Dame dislike that seeps through in your posts.

Maybe you are honestly straight up and do not recognize this.....either way, it is just message board talk and I certainly don't take any umbrage either way.

My particular team was independent in football when I was in school and was so for 40 years......Many of us older fans miss the days of a non conference schedule. Soooo, maybe I have a biased view of football independence.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"All new leadership at Texas now. And the Big 12's breakup is a matter of when, not if, sad to say."

Tweeted by Brian Davis who covers UT football for the Austin Statesman

https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS

That...is a key tweet.

The biggest issue with the Big 12, aside from its puny footprint, is that the conference's value is so heavily-weighted with so few schools.

And that Texas is sociopathic.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Once we're in the B1G, we plan to become arrogant ourselves.

The level of arrogance in the Big10 is staggering, and that's just from the UM alumni base. Ohio State has their own brand of arrogance. Throw in PSU's self righteousness and The Cult of the Green Mountain Squirrel (Izzo), and you will have quite the mountain of arrogance to climb

Reaction Score

I come from an transplanted Pennsylvania IRISH heritage on my moms side growing up in the fifties/sixties in NJ to the fight song but over the course of time wearied of the superior attitude of ND AND HATED seeing my home state u treated as 2nd class!! The desertion of the old BE for the southern small conference convinced me...they really have no honor! I don't hate them but don't care either....their on borrowed time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom