Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
@BTNTomDienhart: Had breakfast w/ #B1G commish Jim Delany this morning in NYC. Big things brewing for league out east. Expect more news in next 60 days.

So if the announcement tomorrow is about the tourney in DC, what is the B1G news due out in the next 60 days?

Reaction Score
Interesting, anymore details on years available?

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - The 2017 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament will be held at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., sources tell 106.7 The Fan.

A press conference will held to announce the news on Tuesday at 1 p.m.

The 17 previous Big Ten Tournaments have either been held in Indianapolis (9 times) or Chicago (8 times).

The next two tournaments will be held in Chicago (2015) and Indianapolis (2016).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So if the announcement tomorrow is about the tourney in DC, what is the B1G news due out in the next 60 days?

If this is the "big" news due in the next 60 days, then the word 'big' needs to be re-defined. MSG is big. A conference tournament in DC is ho-hum.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If this is the "big" news due in the next 60 days, then the word 'big' needs to be re-defined. MSG is big. A conference tournament in DC is ho-hum.

Humor a simple Yooper transplant for a minute here. Is MSG a bigger/better venue than than The Barclays? I remember back in the day that MSG was huge, but I'm not that familiar with The Barclays.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Humor a simple Yooper transplant for a minute here. Is MSG a bigger/better venue than than The Barclays? I remember back in the day that MSG was huge, but I'm not that familiar with The Barclays.

In basic terms it'd be like comparing Old Yankee stadium and new Yankee stadium.

One has all the history and while the new one is nice there's no aura to the arena.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Although I'll say announcing it while also trumpeting the invitation of UConn--after the MSG regional finals--would make a huge splash.
please-please-please.jpg

Dooley

Reaction Score

I was honestly going to post something along the lines of ConnHuskBask above me but he beat me to it. MSG is downtown Manhattan with history, tradition and prestige. Barclays is Brooklyn (fine neighborhood but not the same as being in downtown Manhattan) with obviously no history.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

MSG is about 6 blocks from Times Square. Barclay's is across the river and something like a 45 min subway ride?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

One's the Mecca of college basketball and the other is a gaudy whorehouse in Brooklyn.

They're both about 18,000 seats.

Dooley

Reaction Score
When you leave MSG, you have to pay $5,000 for a lap dance. When you leave Barclay's, you have to pay $5 for "no restrictions" in a bathroom stall.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It will not involve UConn.

Honestly, I'm as tired of hearing Delany blather about the northeast as I am of hearing Swofford.

The Big Ten is as invested in trying to eat UConn's lunch as is the ACC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the replies. Very clear which is the better venue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Visionary is a strong word. It was for cable boxes in NJ, recruiting in NJ and the chance to add BTN to the NYC basic tier at a rate they want. I don't think any of this had to do with Rutgers becoming a perennial contender in the B1G.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if Rutgers football ends up being a solid team that rises above the Indiana, Purdue, Illinois ranks of the conference.

As others have said - if BTN gets on NYC basic at the rate they want, UConn to B1G is shot. So our best bet is to root against Rutgers - which will be easy enough to do.

If the ACC had to do it again, I imagine a league with UConn, Rutgers, West Virginia is more appealing long term than BC, Pitt, Louisville.

Wouldn't you rather have UConn, West Virginia and Louisville assuming you were watching you know... sports.

Reaction Score
MSG is about 6 blocks from Times Square. Barclay's is across the river and something like a 45 min subway ride?
20 minutes (5 stops) on the Q train, but the point is still valid. No comparison b/w the two.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say rooting against Rutgers is in UConn's best interest. If Rutgers bombs it's more likely that the Big Ten will just focus on DC.

The ideal situation for UConn would be for the Rutgers addition to be semi-successful so that they "close" to getting basic carriage but needs an additional jolt to push it over the edge, which UConn can theoretically provide.
I couldn't agree with you more. A highly successful Rutty (which would never happen) would give no reason to add UConn and a totally flop means they never look this direction (north and east) again.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wouldn't you rather have UConn, West Virginia and Louisville assuming you were watching you know... sports.

I know Ville has the better programs but my personal bias weighed in here. I loved UConn Rutgers football games and being from NJ I used to go to all the Rutgers UConn games ( football and basketball) with my Dad.

So, I'll rephrase that - I wish that the ACC took UConn, West Virginia and Rutgers

Reaction Score
ESPN Big Ten‏@ESPN_BigTen 1h
Rutgers has managed to make another massive p.r. blunder. But don't forget: B1G demographics! … http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/05/eric_legrand_hurt_by_rutgers_failure_to_explain_commencement_speech_decision.html#incart_m-rpt-1…

Reaction Score
Bill Livingston‏@Livy70 13m
Steve Politi column" Tone-deaf "leadership" of B10 booby-prize invitee Rutgers is at it again. http://tinyurl.com/ktdwr72

Dooley

Reaction Score
ESPN Big Ten‏@ESPN_BigTen 1h
Rutgers has managed to make another massive p.r. blunder. But don't forget: B1G demographics! … http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/05/eric_legrand_hurt_by_rutgers_failure_to_explain_commencement_speech_decision.html#incart_m-rpt-1…

My goodness. Rutgers can't seem to do anything right, can they? Legrand has been a very positive face of Rutgers since his tragic accident and for them to put him through this, on his graduation weekend no less, is nothing short of embarrassing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom