June recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

June recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Correct. Convince me otherwise. I can be swayed to the other side. Again, I only saw a limited number of video clips most of which featured her with the ball driving and taking shots.
I asked you a question at the end of the post. What do you think "HER" game is and why wouldn't Auriemma allow her to play it?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I asked you a question at the end of the post. What do you think "HER" game is and why wouldn't Auriemma allow her to play it?
I saw it. I'm not going to debate that with you at this time. I don't post every thought or concern I have here in the yard. It can wait. I just see her being a better fit at SC or LSU. Admittedly, I don't follow the recruiting game nearly as much as you do. I will see her at least once "in person" this coming season at Sierra Canyon high school. I'll have a better idea of her overall game, and her possible fir at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct. Convince me otherwise, the door is open. I can be swayed to the other side. Again, I only saw a limited number of video clips most of which featured her with the ball in her hands driving, taking shots, and dropping a dime every now and then. I would appreciate a link to those games. The fact that she was the MVP does not surprise me. I see her as a generational talent.
Go to Videos.

Reaction Score
From the limited game action I've seen of her in video clips, I don't think Geno would let her play "HER" game. I believe Dawn and Kim would. Believe me, NOTHING would make me happier than to have Jerzy Robinson commit to UConn. She's going to be very special and a thrill a minute to watch. It would almost make up for losing out on Aliyah Boston. :( I don't know what promises (if any) Dawn or Kim makes to prospective recruits. We know Geno doesn't make any, other than giving them an opportunity to compete for playing time.

There is a strong attraction to top-ranked recruits to those two coaches and their programs. Players/transfers very much want to play for them, and they both know how to "close-the-deal" when recruits visit their campuses.

Call me crazy and tell me I'm wrong, but I don't see it. :confused: So.......I'm not going to get my hopes up about her possibly coming to Storrs.

This just in....Aliyah Boston was named as a starter on the east WNBA all-star team yesterday. Only the 8th rookie to do so, and the first since 2013. :cool:
Yes, Mulkey and Staley do pretty well. However, the only coach who gets more top ranked recruits over the years than they do is Auriemma.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of top high school recruits seem to be located in areas outside of the NY/NJ/CT area.........I'd certainly like UConn to maintain some recruiting presence in the metro NYC if the players are up to standard..........it's been a few years since a local NY/NJ recruit (AG) has been offered and accepted and it's a fairly rare occurrence........

True, but UConn recruits from everywhere. I guess Geno has had success in the Balt-DC region Fudd, McClean, Poffenbarger, Samuels? Geno must have some great talent evaluaters from the DC area.

But last year 4 starters were from outside the US.

Reaction Score
True, but UConn recruits from everywhere. I guess Geno has had success in the Balt-DC region Fudd, McClean, Poffenbarger, Samuels? Geno must have some great talent evaluaters from the DC area.

But last year 4 starters were from outside the US.
that's my point...........,.UConn has to "defend" its own turf when it comes to recruiting the few high-quality recruits that come along.......

Carnac

Reaction Score
Go to Videos.

Thanks BobbyJ. I will watch every USA game in its entirety. Perhaps my perception will change after viewing these games. Remember, I said at the beginning of my comment, that nothing would please me more than for Jerzy to commit to UConn. Watching these videos won't change that. She's good now. How much better will she be in 3 years? She'll be so much better in so many ways. Experience-wise, physical and mental maturity, BB IQ not to mention a heightened sense of mental toughness and resolve. Thanks again. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes, Mulkey and Staley do pretty well. However, the only coach who gets more top ranked recruits over the years than they do is Auriemma.
And for heaven's sake, let's hope that trend continues.

Reaction Score
Thanks BobbyJ. I will watch every USA game in its entirety. Perhaps my perception will change after viewing these games. Remember, I said at the beginning of my comment, that nothing would please me more than for Jerzy to commit to UConn. Watching these videos won't change that. She's good now. How much better will she be in 3 years? She'll be so much better in so many ways. Experience-wise, physical and mental maturity, BB IQ not to mention a heightened sense of mental toughness and resolve. Thanks again. :cool:
While understanding that the competition is poor, other than Canada, I’ll suggest some things to watch. Forget stats, notice how she doesn’t play down to the opponent’s level, plays hard defensively, takes good shots with no selfish logo 3s, looks for cutters, and interacts well with her teammates. Plus she goes to the boards to rebound, 14 against Canada. Excellent composure for 14 years old.

Reaction Score
While understanding that the competition is poor, other than Canada, I’ll suggest some things to watch. Forget stats, notice how she doesn’t play down to the opponent’s level, plays hard defensively, takes good shots with no selfish logo 3s, looks for cutters, and interacts well with her teammates. Plus she goes to the boards to rebound, 14 against Canada. Excellent composure for 14 years old.
Thanks for posting the link. I just watched the Canada game. I'll forget stats, as you suggest. Here's what I noticed:

Robinson has a mature game, quite throughly coached. In terms of maturity, the closest talent to hers on the floor was Savannah Swords. The other kids had talent too, but not quite on the same level as those two. Robinson likes driving the lane and the baseline, finishes well, and has developed an effective turnaround-stepback jump shot that is clearly the product of some careful coaching. She also is a mature ball handler. She doesn't get confused or panicky with the ball when the defense challenges her. She's not afraid of driving into a crowd. I think she probably could have played on the U18 team.

I'm not sure I see what @Carnac has in mind in his comment. Robinson is eminently coachable. She didn't develop those skills on her own. I think Geno would want her, if he can get her.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230629_181949_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Reaction Score
that's my point...........,.UConn has to "defend" its own turf when it comes to recruiting the few high-quality recruits that come along.......

I'm sure that the coaching staff is very efficient in recruiting right now and to spend more energy on "local" talent would take away effort from some distant places that have produced more players, like the west coast and Europe. The time coaches have for evaluation and for contacting players is finite. In today's world where kids have "friends" all over the country players are less likely to stay close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom