June recruiting thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

June recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This seems... odd? Following the mens game I've always considered high school hopping a bit of a red flag and this is certainly raising my eyebrows now.
She needs the much better competition in Cali. Arizona has next to nothing for her skill level. I doubt that she'll have to pay very much of the $37K a year tuition unless her family is wealthy.

Reaction Score
She needs the much better competition in Cali. Arizona has next to nothing for her skill level. I doubt that she'll have to pay very much of the $37K a year tuition unless her family is wealthy.
Isn’t that what AAU is for? Her old school is also a school that produced has multiple WNBA and NBA players and is nationally ranked. Even if they could play better competition I don’t buy that she NEEDS to move states and high schools just to face better competition in 20 high school games a year.

Wish her all the best but seems like a big red flag for burnout to me.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that what AAU is for? Her old school is also a school that produced has multiple WNBA and NBA players and is nationally ranked. Even if they could play better competition I don’t buy that she NEEDS to move states and high schools just to face better competition in 20 high school games a year.

Wish her all the best but seems like a big red flag for burnout to me.
One of each, Clarke and Anigwe, in the school's history isn't multiple and isn't real impressive. Many high schools do it. As for her reasons, check with her parents, they made the decision. Don't know if they're moving but it's not necessary since SC boards students. It's my opinion that she needs the competition and a large number of the top girls players in the country like UConn signee Morgan Cheli play elite competition in both winter and summer and don't have any burnout problems. Cheli among others plays the same Cali top competition that Robinson will. BTW, 20 HS games a year isn't close. SC and DV both played 32 each this year. Re AAU, her EYBL team is based in LA so she and her parents are obviously comfortable with the area and it's a manageable 6 1/2 hr drive away.

Reaction Score
I just noticed an interesting connection between POI Katerina Koval and Savannah
Swords, the Canadian U 16 player who dropped 22 points? on the USA U16 squad
during Monday night's Fiba Americas Championship. Kate Koval and Savannah
Swords are on the SAME H.S. team: Long Island Lutheran. Maybe if UCONN
gets Kate for a #5 Post Player she can bring Savannah along in a following year
as a wing?? Cearrah Parchment was the Canadian selected to the ALL
TOURNAMENT team, but it was Savannah who was more effective against
the tough USA defense. Both are listed at 6'0" on the Canadian Roster but
there have been different heights noted on less reliable recruiting posts..

Reaction Score
I just noticed an interesting connection between POI Katerina Koval and Savannah
Heckel is a pretty highly ranked point guard on that team that I believe we might have some interest in. She is 2024 also like Koval. Berry has been mentioned as a 2024 guard candidate as well, but I am wondering if we have room for another guard from that class if we are still pursuing Strong, Carlton, Koval and other bigs.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The LI Lutheran team's "Core 4" of Kate Koval, PG Kayleigh Heckel and the Swords sisters are very much on top of a lot of recruiting boards.
Class of 2024 Syla Swords committed to Michigan and, as @oldhusky noted, UConn may (may not?) have some interest in Heckel.
Virtually anybody on this board -- and many others -- know about Kate Koval. Savannah (Savvy) Swords grabs my attention because she has a bit of the versatility and ability to find the ball that ND's Sonia Citron has. That latter ability is rare.

I think Ms. Parchment may have been selected to the All-Tourney team because of her all-around performance and efficiency rating.
BTW, she's a HS teammate of Team Canada Teammate, guard Daniya Prawl, who also had a good tournament.

A good resource for all things Canadian hoops on this board is our colleague, @cancontent .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Savannah’s big sister, Syla, is a Michigan commit

Reaction Score
The LI Lutheran team's "Core 4" of Kate Koval, PG Kayleigh Heckel and the Swords sisters are very much on top of a lot of recruiting boards.
Class of 2024 Syla Swords committed to Michigan and, as @oldhusky noted, UConn may (may not?) have some interest in Heckel.
Virtually anybody on this board -- and many others -- know about Kate Koval. Savannah (Savvy) Swords grabs my attention because she has a bit of the versatility and ability to find the ball that ND's Sonia Citron has. That latter ability is rare.

I think Ms. Parchment may have been selected to the All-Tourney team because of her all-around performance and efficiency rating.
BTW, she's a HS teammate of Team Canada Teammate, guard Daniya Prawl, who also had a good tournament.

A good resource for all things Canadian hoops on this board is our colleague, @cancontent .

Appreciate the tip of the cap as always @Dillon77. Not much insight on Savannah and her recruitment. The family has kept things pretty close to the vest, as seen with Syla. Is she UConn material? Possibly, but considering Robinson is a POI from the same class, I'm leaning towards no at the moment.

Reaction Score
Savannah is only 15 years old (on the U16 Canadian team) so we Boneyarders have
still a while to wait (and to watch her progress).

Reaction Score

https://twitter.com/LuHiGBasketball/status/1666507123650355201?s=20

Sisters Syla and Savannah Swords came to Long Island Lutheran (LUHI) last September, after their father Shawn accepted an offer from the G-League's Long Island Nets to become an assistant coach. Shawn Swords had been head coach of Laurentian University's men's team for 15 years, and was given a year's sabbatical by the university to try his hand. Now it's official: he's left Sudbury for good (see attached article), which means we should be seeing the two sisters again next season at LUHI. The team that won the Nike Tournament of Champions and lost in the final of the Geico National should see all 5 starters return.

We already know that senior Syla (#22 ESPN), a guard in the class of 2024, has signed with Michigan, where she will join Olivia Olson in the back court. At this position UConn is already doing very well in 2024, with the commitments of Allie Ziebell and Morgan Cheli. So it would be highly unlikely to see another guard there. For 2026, it's a completely different matter, the 2024-2025 season will be the last as far as the extra covid year is concerned, from the 2025-2026 season things will return to normal and even though 2026 may seem a long way off, I could see Savannah Swords coming to UConn. The 6'1 player is very versatile and can play 2, 3 and 4. I saw her play at the last Canadian championship last summer and I can confirm her size, the sizes posted by FIBA weren't the right ones. Attached are the sizes from the Canada Basketball website.

Translated with DeepL

Attachments

• Team Canada U16 2023.png
    Team Canada U16 2023.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 100

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Sisters Syla and Savannah Swords came to Long Island Lutheran (LUHI) last September, after their father Shawn accepted an offer from the G-League's Long Island Nets to become an assistant coach. Shawn Swords had been head coach of Laurentian University's men's team for 15 years, and was given a year's sabbatical by the university to try his hand. Now it's official: he's left Sudbury for good (see attached article), which means we should be seeing the two sisters again next season at LUHI. The team that won the Nike Tournament of Champions and lost in the final of the Geico National should see all 5 starters return.

We already know that senior Syla (#22 ESPN), a guard in the class of 2024, has signed with Michigan, where she will join Olivia Olson in the back court. At this position UConn is already doing very well in 2024, with the commitments of Allie Ziebell and Morgan Cheli. So it would be highly unlikely to see another guard there. For 2026, it's a completely different matter, the 2024-2025 season will be the last as far as the extra covid year is concerned, from the 2025-2026 season things will return to normal and even though 2026 may seem a long way off, I could see Savannah Swords coming to UConn. The 6'1 player is very versatile and can play 2, 3 and 4. I saw her play at the last Canadian championship last summer and I can confirm her size, the sizes posted by FIBA weren't the right ones. Attached are the sizes from the Canada Basketball website.

Translated with DeepL

Question for you From Canada, in the game shown, {Savannah} was very active and showed a lot of talent. Was this typical for her? Does she have day in day out talent, is she consistently as effective as this highlight package portrays? If so, I'm sure Geno could find a spot for her, in a classy Husky uni.

Reaction Score

Translated with DeepL

Thank You VERY MUCH for this video and background information. I had learned of the Swords
sisters a few years ago. They come from up near Hudson Bay, Correct?? Savannah was
tremendous in the U 16 final against the USA U 16 team. She scored 22 points scored against some
fierce USA defense. I guess she was the # 2 overall scorer to Jerzy Robinson's 24. In this video
she displays her skill set, reminds of Ashlynn Shade! Very nice passes to Kate Koval! She
was so accurate from 3-point range that she probably was a limiting factor to Kate's rebound
totals!!! Go Savannah, GO Kate, GO HUSKIES. Send more videos in the upcoming years!!
Savannah is one of my personal POI!!! Z

Reaction Score
Thank You VERY MUCH for this video and background information. I had learned of the Swords
sisters a few years ago. They come from up near Hudson Bay, Correct?? Savannah was
tremendous in the U 16 final against the USA U 16 team. She scored 22 points scored against some
fierce USA defense. I guess she was the # 2 overall scorer to Jerzy Robinson's 24. In this video
she displays her skill set, reminds of Ashlynn Shade! Very nice passes to Kate Koval! She
was so accurate from 3-point range that she probably was a limiting factor to Kate's rebound
totals!!! Go Savannah, GO Kate, GO HUSKIES. Send more videos in the upcoming years!!
Savannah is one of my personal POI!!! Z

The Swords sisters are natives of Sudbury, also known as Grand Sudbury, a mining town located 250 miles north of Toronto and 750 miles northwest of Storrs. She had a very good first season with LUHI as a freshman, and is a very mature player for her age, with a very good basketball IQ. She was captain of the U16 Canadian team, even though she was born in 2008, whereas the oldest players were born in 2007. Playing for Long Island Lutheran HS, a team that competes as an independent, their schedule was certainly one of the toughest in the country, and she is ranked 18th ESPN class 2026. Their key statistics are attached. She didn't get as much playing time as her sister, Kate Koval or Kayleigh Heckel, but she was an important cog in the team. Now, as for the video highlights, obviously no one ever misses, but, I can assure you, her commitment and work ethic are faultless. In fact, here's part of the article by ESPN's Shane Laflin, published at the end of January, concerning her.

Shane Laflin

Jan 24, 2023, 08:03 PM ET

Savannah Swords, W/F

Height: 6-1 | Long Island Lutheran (N.Y.)

LuHi has played some heavy competition this season and claimed the Nike TOC championship in Phoenix in December. Swords is like a Swiss army knife in how she fills her role for this squad on any given night. Right now, she is primarily a forward and must be physical in how she defends and rebounds in her minutes. When called upon, she gives perimeter minutes as well. She'll slash to the rim and finish with poise and versatile footwork, and also knock down the open 3-pointer.

Swords sees the floor well and that creates opportunities for teammates as well as helps her read and rotate defensively. She is an outstanding mix of toughness, maturity, and skills.

The Swords family prefers to lay low in terms of publicity of recruitment, but she has garnered the interest of every major conference in the country.

Translated with DeepL

Reaction Score

Translated with DeepL

I don't disagree with you on this. Swords is really good and very versatile as you say and it will be interesting to see if UConn recruits her. The reason I say that is because the 2026 class is very, very deep in talent and it may come down to how many kids UConn will make priority targets. They've already offered Vukosa, a big post, and I believe they'll have a lot of interest in Jerzy Robinson, Woliczko, Oliviyah Edwards, and Sanai Green at minimum. And that's on top of who they get in 2025. A lot of these kids will want to play early so there's going to be a lot of action involving this class. Swords may well be a player of interest for them but there's only so many spots on the roster and she'll be one of many so we'll need to wait and see where their/her interests might lie.

Reaction Score

The Swords sisters are natives of Sudbury, also known as Grand Sudbury, a mining town located 250 miles north of Toronto and 750 miles northwest of Storrs. She had a very good first season with LUHI as a freshman, and is a very mature player for her age, with a very good basketball IQ. She was captain of the U16 Canadian team, even though she was born in 2008, whereas the oldest players were born in 2007. Playing for Long Island Lutheran HS, a team that competes as an independent, their schedule was certainly one of the toughest in the country, and she is ranked 18th ESPN class 2026. Their key statistics are attached. She didn't get as much playing time as her sister, Kate Koval or Kayleigh Heckel, but she was an important cog in the team. Now, as for the video highlights, obviously no one ever misses, but, I can assure you, her commitment and work ethic are faultless. In fact, here's part of the article by ESPN's Shane Laflin, published at the end of January, concerning her.

Shane Laflin

Jan 24, 2023, 08:03 PM ET

Savannah Swords, W/F

Height: 6-1 | Long Island Lutheran (N.Y.)

LuHi has played some heavy competition this season and claimed the Nike TOC championship in Phoenix in December. Swords is like a Swiss army knife in how she fills her role for this squad on any given night. Right now, she is primarily a forward and must be physical in how she defends and rebounds in her minutes. When called upon, she gives perimeter minutes as well. She'll slash to the rim and finish with poise and versatile footwork, and also knock down the open 3-pointer.

Swords sees the floor well and that creates opportunities for teammates as well as helps her read and rotate defensively. She is an outstanding mix of toughness, maturity, and skills.

The Swords family prefers to lay low in terms of publicity of recruitment, but she has garnered the interest of every major conference in the country.

Translated with DeepL

Thanks for the info and comments. Just a thought, if big sister is going to U of Michigan,
which would be the closest Power 5 Conference school to Sudbury/North Sudbury, is it now
MORE likely that Savannah would/should consider UCONN in that her dad now
has the position with the NETS!! What closer power conference school would place
Savannah in near proximity to Dad?? Go Savannah! Go Huskies!
Keep us up to date on Videos and info, please!! Z

Reaction Score
The vast majority of top high school recruits seem to be located in areas outside of the NY/NJ/CT area.........I'd certainly like UConn to maintain some recruiting presence in the metro NYC if the players are up to standard..........it's been a few years since a local NY/NJ recruit (AG) has been offered and accepted and it's a fairly rare occurrence........

Reaction Score
The vast majority of top high school recruits seem to be located in areas outside of the NY/NJ/CT area.........I'd certainly like UConn to maintain some recruiting presence in the metro NYC if the players are up to standard..........it's been a few years since a local NY/NJ recruit (AG) has been offered and accepted and it's a fairly rare occurrence........
The Big O from Queens, class of 2026 has been offered. Just have to wait about 3 years for her acceptance.

Reaction Score
The Big O from Queens, class of 2026 has been offered. Just have to wait about 3 years for her acceptance.
She looks awfully good for a big young recruit.........looking forward to seeing how she progresses over the next few years.........I'd .like to see her become a bit more "athletic" the way Ice Brady did in her final two years before her freshman year if she chooses UConn.......

Reaction Score
She looks awfully good for a big young recruit.........looking forward to seeing how she progresses over the next few years.........I'd .like to see her become a bit more "athletic" the way Ice Brady did in her final two years before her freshman year if she chooses UConn.......
No worries, she's just scratching the surface of her potential. When she starts getting serious with her conditioning and learning to do everything quicker and quicker under control, she'll become a load.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are some players coming into college in the next 3 years that are going to make a name for themselves that will be fun to watch. Jerzy Robinson really stands out. Unfortunately, I don’t see her coming to UConn. Arizona, LSU and South Carolina have a better chance of being her choice than UConn.

Reaction Score
There are some players coming into college in the next 3 years that are going to make a name for themselves that will be fun to watch. Jerzy Robinson really stands out. Unfortunately, I don’t see her coming to UConn. Arizona, LSU and South Carolina have a better chance of being her choice than UConn.
Why?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why?
From the limited game action I've seen of her in video clips, I don't think Geno would let her play "HER" game. I believe Dawn and Kim would. Believe me, NOTHING would make me happier than to have Jerzy Robinson commit to UConn. She's going to be very special and a thrill a minute to watch. It would almost make up for losing out on Aliyah Boston. :( I don't know what promises (if any) Dawn or Kim makes to prospective recruits. We know Geno doesn't make any, other than giving them an opportunity to compete for playing time.

There is a strong attraction to top-ranked recruits to those two coaches and their programs. Players/transfers very much want to play for them, and they both know how to "close-the-deal" when recruits visit their campuses.

Call me crazy and tell me I'm wrong, but I don't see it. :confused: So.......I'm not going to get my hopes up about her possibly coming to Storrs.

This just in....Aliyah Boston was named as a starter on the east WNBA all-star team yesterday. Only the 8th rookie to do so, and the first since 2013. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the limited game action I've seen of her in video clips, I don't think Geno would let her play "HER" game. I believe Dawn and Kim would. Believe me, NOTHING would make me happier than to have Jerzy Robinson commit to UConn. She's going to be very special and a thrill a minute to watch. It would almost make up for losing out on Aliyah Boston. :( I don't know what promises (if any) Dawn or Kim makes to prospective recruits. We know Geno doesn't make any, other than giving them an opportunity to compete for playing time.

There is a strong attraction to top-ranked recruits to those two coaches and their programs. Players/transfers very much want to play for them, and they both know how to "close-the-deal" when recruits visit their campuses.

Call me crazy and tell me I'm wrong, but I don't see it. :confused: So.......I'm not going to get my hopes up about her possibly coming to Storrs.

This just in....Aliyah Boston was named as a starter on the east WNBA all-star team yesterday. Only the 8th rookie to do so, and the first since 2013. :cool:
So I guess this first sentence means you didn't watch any of the 6 games she played last week in the FIBA U16 Americas tournament where she fit in seamlessly with the best U16 players in the US as the on court leader and the youngest kid on the team. And also as the MVP with the best efficiency rating in the tournament at 20.8. So, from your limited views of her play, what do you assume "HER" game consists of?

Carnac

Reaction Score
So I guess this first sentence means you didn't watch any of the 6 games she played last week in the FIBA U16 Americas tournament where she fit in seamlessly with the best U16 players in the US as the on court leader and the youngest kid on the team. And also as the MVP with the best efficiency rating in the tournament at 20.8. So, from your limited views of her play, what do you assume "HER" game consists of?
Correct. Convince me otherwise, the door is open. I can be swayed to the other side. Again, I only saw a limited number of video clips most of which featured her with the ball in her hands driving, taking shots, and dropping a dime every now and then. I would appreciate a link to those games. The fact that she was the MVP does not surprise me. I see her as a generational talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89