July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I know that. How did she do that if they ONLY offer classes for grades 10-12? How could she have been a student of that school?

Per the Minnesota State High School League: Students in grades 7-12 are eligible to participate on sophomore, B-squad, junior varsity and varsity teams if they are enrolled in a continuation school as defined in Bylaw 105 and if they meet all other League eligibility requirements.

Reaction Score
Watch this and then tell me she has a good handle. The first play of the game, she immediately picks up her dribble and turtles at the first sign of a double team. She repeatedly gets beat off the dribble on defense, she has trouble getting to the spots she wants to with the ball in her hands on offense, she is just not the same player! Yes, she is well built, but she is too undersized to take advantage of that at the next level! She is really going to struggle with the length at the 3 in college, both offensively and defensively. She was invisible for the majority of this game, that should never happen for the #1 ranked player in the country playing against mediocre talent! Is she still a good player? Yes, of course she is, she is just not the same player that she was!

Okay I'll watch the tape. Then I'll come back at tape back at you PROVIDING YOU WITH OTHER LINKS TO GAMES, okay? And she looks 5'10 to me in that she looked just as big if not bigger than the other guards in the other 2 tapes. . Everything you say from the two other games is completely wrong. Watch the Riverside tape. The offensIve player couldn't handle her defense. And she certainly was NOT invisible in the Riverside game NOR the Indy game which I watched. Did you watch them or just this one?

Again I'll ask you to watch the Indy Gym Rats game. THEY WERE DOUBLE TEAMING HER 20/25/ PLUS FET FROM THE BASKET BECAUSE THEY WANTED THE BALL OUT OF HER HANDS.

**And I;ll ask you that i ask Donald. When you say "she doesn't lo the same." Provide some tape other than high school from lats year that shows it. So all I'm asking is-- and you said about how what you said would be considered blasephemy to many of us-- we're asking that you show us instead of just saying it. Not arguing. No ill will in this post. Juts as you are providing a link now prove it with another link. I'm going to send you links later today showing you how she is being double teamed from the perimeter and showing how she couldn't be pressed / if she did she made a great pass ot bust the trap if that's what it was etc.

Reaction Score
" We've even had a player after a few practices leave and go to Miss State, right?"

Wrong @hoophuskee . In late December, after repeatedly refusing to take instruction, she was told she was no longer wanted in the program.

Okay -- but you understood my point, right? Donald posted to me about if she were to commit. ANd we have players back out. I think everybody understands that. That was my point.

Reaction Score
Paige stands out when she is not featured. As far as keeping a commitment, that was not about Fudd but the posters who want an early commitment. First we are concerned if she will commit and then when she does with so much time left before LOI time, we worry if she will honor it. It has happened before. That is my point. If she was not so highly regarded, it would not matter so much. What Collier did can make some of us fans a little wary until a player has signed. Just my opinion.

Got a flash for you. Most UConn fans are neither "concerned" nor "worried" about it. "We" have 2 outstanding HS classes in 2020 & 2021. Fudd is an outstanding talent and I would love her to choose UConn but I certainly don't worry about it. And I consider myself one of the "we".

Reaction Score
I know this is going to be considered blasphemy on this board, but Fudd is extremely overrated right now. I realize that it is extremely tough coming back from a bad injury like Fudd suffered, but she just does not look anything close to the best player in the country. Don't get me wrong, she is still as smart and savvy a basketball player as you will ever find, she has an amazing pull up, she is lights out if left open behind the arc, she is a tremendous leader the way she is always picking her team up, and she plays extremely hard! She just doesn't have that "it" factor that she used to have! She is obviously not fully back yet, but she looks extremely slow right now, she was never really an elite athlete, it's just that her lack of athleticism really stands out now. She doesn't have the handle or speed to play the 1 in college like some have suggested. She is a below average defender at this point, lacking the length to alter shots and the foot speed and lateral quickness to defend the drive. She struggled to get separation to get open and was very inactive without the ball on offense. Again, I know it is very early in her recovery and I hope she really gets back to form as time goes on because she has worked so hard and deserves it. I still would like her to commit to UConn, but I wouldn't be heart broken if she went somewhere else.
I tried to make the point bolded above a few weeks ago and it didn’t go over well. I was told by some that she was the ‘greatest high school defender they had ever seen’ because she could stay in front of some random 15 year old high school girl. Listen I want her on my team all day but I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again imo she is KML 2.0....a beyond lethal sharp shooter. I still maintain Paige will have a wildly more impactful college career and if I had to choose between the 2 it’s PB 100x out of 100.

Edit-my KML point above is not intended as a slight as I’m pretty sure she was a multiple time AA and 2000 point scorer but imo the people that have been claiming the team that gets Azzi are immediate favorites to win 4 NCs are just being silly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I ask any poster to watch the Riverside game and notice Azzi's defense at the top of the press. She had 3 steals and one pass the player she was guarding made an awful pass that was picked off because Azzi was in her face. Since when is 3 steals and a cause for a TO in an exhibition game- a no-doubter that she is playing sub-par defense- when she is pressing? In the Riverside game Azzi's team was getting beat inside not from the perimeter. In response to Donald suggesting I wasn't paying close enough attention - I submit that Donald needs new glasses or a thicker set. No she is not "uber quick" but she doesn't have to be. Arguably the greatest women's player of all-time - DT - was never ever uber quick. Ionescu is NOT uber quick.

In addition if Azi is so "unconditioned and out of shape" then you press with her- the best player on the team? So all the recruiting services got it wrong? The coach is mis-playing the supposed out-of-shape sup-par non-quick defende?, And the opposing coach in the 2nd half of the Indy Gym Rats game got it all wrong for double-teaming her? With respect I just have to say -- No.

As for soxfan - he clearly didn't watch this Riverside game or the Indy Gym Rat game. So he has proclaimed Azzi overrated after watching one exhibition game?

And what we ask of Donald and soxfan to back up their claim that she isn't the same to the degree they are suggesting/implying. I'll agree with it-- if you show me some tapes from last year summer vs this year summer. You can't just spout off "she is not the same" to the degree they are representing Azzi without backing it up on tape.

Sure she might not be "as quick" due tot he injury but NOT near the degree they are implying / suggesting imo though i have to see redsoxfan's game he sent. Then I send him back tape countering.

**And as a final point with Donald he suggests its her "conditioning" yet can someone please explain when a freshman comes to UCONN and is "conditioned?" They rarely are. Sure he probably means she is less conditioned, But if she is being DOUBLE-TEAMED in the SECOND HALF vs Indy Gym Rats, how does that represent at all that"conditioning" is an issue (also that the coach is pressing using her at the top/guarding a ball-handler)? You press knwoing oyur best player has knee and condition issues? Anyhow, we heard from another poster the injury was more likely due to a bruise. Donald didn't suggest it was or wasn't but nowhere is there is this --significant "conditioning issue." Paige and Azzi are not "Griff" on defense. They never will be. That doesn't mean their defense is sub-par as RedSox fan has suggested. And nearly every freshman needs to be better conditioned.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Got a flash for you. Most UConn fans are neither "concerned" nor "worried" about it. "We" have 2 outstanding HS classes in 2020 & 2021. Fudd is an outstanding talent and I would love her to choose UConn but I certainly don't worry about it. And I consider myself one of the "we".
Then why have there been so many post asking about when she will finally commit? Taking one person out of we still leaves we. Also, are you sure most UConn fans are not concerned? I'm done with it.

Reaction Score

Is UConn showing interest in this phenom?
This is an old interview. She is a 22 recruit

Reaction Score

Is UConn showing interest in this phenom?
This is an old interview. She is a 22 recruit

Local kid will have a hard time saying no to Notre Dame. Was offered back in April.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay -- but you understood my point, right? Donald posted to me about if she were to commit. ANd we have players back out. I think everybody understands that. That was my point.

Sure, I got your point, but I am sensitive to this particular player not being the beneficiary of an urban legend and there was an effort in that direction shortly after she left the program.

Reaction Score
Watch this and then tell me she has a good handle. The first play of the game, she immediately picks up her dribble and turtles at the first sign of a double team. She repeatedly gets beat off the dribble on defense, she has trouble getting to the spots she wants to with the ball in her hands on offense, she is just not the same player! Yes, she is well built, but she is too undersized to take advantage of that at the next level! She is really going to struggle with the length at the 3 in college, both offensively and defensively. She was invisible for the majority of this game, that should never happen for the #1 ranked player in the country playing against mediocre talent! Is she still a good player? Yes, of course she is, she is just not the same player that she was!

Where are you getting the idea that she repeatedly gets beat off the dribble on defense? Repeatedly? Repeatedly? Repeatedly? In this game -- one time maybe???? The one time I saw after watching 40 minutes was that play in which the guard got into the lane and threw up a brick because the center helped out. Unless you are talking traps or fastbreaks? Or the two plays in which Azzi forced the offensive player basekline and the offensive player ended up on both occasions making a turnover?

On offense yes she had a subpar game per Azzi standards. But can you tell how often her team's posts made an inside move by themselves for a basket? I know this is probably bias but she looks like her team is not very good. Anyhow, she seemed to make very good decision when she got a pick.

At 14:00 mark - they double her off pick and she makes a nice pass inside leading to a quick 2nd pass which lead to a layup.

At 35:15 on pick and roll makes a beuty left-handed pass inside. Should've been a layup- shot blocked.

AT 44:10 comes off a pick- is double-teamed - makes beauty pass inside shot blocked. Should've scored.

At 47:50 trapped again off of pick-and-roll - beauty pass - layup missed.

At 48:29 doubled again off a pick.

*In all these cases she is the ballhandler and usually making very good decisions with the ball. She's a triple-threat. KLS for example could primarily only be a scorer. Not much of a passer off a pick.

You are right in an extreme point -- if her teammates can't finish then she can't do it alone. Then regardless of number 1 recruit she can't beat top teams by herself. That's the only point you can make. :) Do you honestly think in a regular season game- non-AAU - that if you were Geno you wouldn't run this play to death? Maya would come off of picks and mostly take jump shots. Azzi will look to dribble more and make a pass off of it.

I just think you are expecting the perfect player. At 5:10 if she has a super shot the chance that she has BOTH a handle AND elite athleticism for both offense AND defense as a kid in H/S is not realistic. ****Look at those pick-and-roll plays. her teammates were VERY open. Why do you think? Because they are selling out on Azzi. Why? Because she is a great scorer on the outside. SO what happens when you give her good teammates that can finish? Greta passing pg's need good players they can pass to-- otherwise they won't win.

IMO DT didn't win titles in H/S because she didn't have the teammates. They were a small school. So I'm sure some of her efficiency stats weren't so great when they lost. And that's more organized.

Reaction Score
Where are you getting the idea that she repeatedly gets beat off the dribble on defense? Repeatedly? Repeatedly? Repeatedly? In this game -- one time maybe???? The one time I saw after watching 40 minutes was that play in which the guard got into the lane and threw up a brick because the center helped out. Unless you are talking traps or fastbreaks? Or the two plays in which Azzi forced the offensive player basekline and the offensive player ended up on both occasions making a turnover?

On offense yes she had a subpar game per Azzi standards. But can you tell how often her team's posts made an inside move by themselves for a basket? I know this is probably bias but she looks like her team is not very good. Anyhow, she seemed to make very good decision when she got a pick.

At 14:00 mark - they double her off pick and she makes a nice pass inside leading to a quick 2nd pass which lead to a layup.

At 35:15 on pick and roll makes a beuty left-handed pass inside. Should've been a layup- shot blocked.

AT 44:10 comes off a pick- is double-teamed - makes beauty pass inside shot blocked. Should've scored.

At 47:50 trapped again off of pick-and-roll - beauty pass - layup missed.

At 48:29 doubled again off a pick.

*In all these cases she is the ballhandler and usually making very good decisions with the ball. She's a triple-threat. KLS for example could primarily only be a scorer. Not much of a passer off a pick.

You are right in an extreme point -- if her teammates can't finish then she can't do it alone. Then regardless of number 1 recruit she can't beat top teams by herself. That's the only point you can make. :) Do you honestly think in a regular season game- non-AAU - that if you were Geno you wouldn't run this play to death? Maya would come off of picks and mostly take jump shots. Azzi will look to dribble more and make a pass off of it.

I just think you are expecting the perfect player. At 5:10 if she has a super shot the chance that she has BOTH a handle AND elite athleticism for both offense AND defense as a kid in H/S is not realistic. ****Look at those pick-and-roll plays. her teammates were VERY open. Why do you think? Because they are selling out on Azzi. Why? Because she is a great scorer on the outside. SO what happens when you give her good teammates that can finish? Greta passing pg's need good players they can pass to-- otherwise they won't win.

IMO DT didn't win titles in H/S because she didn't have the teammates. They were a small school. So I'm sure some of her efficiency stats weren't so great when they lost. And that's more organized.

She made fundamentally sound passes, nothing more!

Reaction Score
NOBODY is "downplaying her value in anticipation of her going elsewhere!" Do I think she is going to UConn? No, I think she ends up at Maryland, there are just too many ties IMHO. Would I like to her commit to UConn? Yes, absolutely, I said before that she is damn good player, I just don't think she is the same player that she was. If you hadn't noticed, I tend to make my opinion known about players, both good and bad. After all isn't that what a UConn women's basketball forum is all about?
What are all the ties to Maryland?

Reaction Score
Count the posters having hissy fits over the possible failure of UConn to sign Fudd. Now we got posts already downplaying her value in anticipation of her going elsewhere and then compare that to the number of subscribers here. It's always the biggest worry warts that make a lot more noise than their numbers deserve. UConn is loaded and most of their fans know that.

I don't think either have had hissy fits, They are just completely wrong with what they think they are seeing.

I keep reading how they say she isn't the same but back it up with nothing. I don't mean to be mean. As soxfan says he speaks what he thinks. In this case I'm doing the same. Both claim it but can't back it up.

What do you do when you disagree with nearly everything that they are seeing?

Even now soxfan has said "She made fundamentally sound passes, nothing more!"

**So here she is being double-teamed - if you are the defense you do thsi for 3 reasons.

1-- To create a turnover.
2-- To force the ball further from the basket in a non-scoring manner thus you impact the flow of the other team's offense.
or
3-- You don't care if the offensive player throws the ball inside to other players for potential layups (or outside for others to take wide open 3's) because you know they probably can't convert. -- But if this is the reason it just highlights that your post players (or perimeter shooting) aren't very good compared to the other team's defense.

So I think Azzi only committed tow turnovers the whole game, and with the examples I gave sometimes she got the passes inside for what should have been easy baskets, yet he's saying "nothing more?" **If she had good teammates she would have busted the double-team. They couldn't force her into turnovers much at all - yet it's supposedly "nothing more?" :) She is so smooth/ not flashy and she makes the right play yet she is getting dinged for "only" being fundamentally sound while being double-teamed/ sometimes trapped? :)

And btw, I don't agree with you too but that ok, right? :)
When you (UCONN) aren't ranked number 1 or 2-- unless you finish season 1 or 2 - you can always "need" a superstar. UCONN long-term cannot afford to be 4-5 in the country if tehre are a couple teams mostly always ahead of us.. They aren't in the P5 and if they lose out on the Paige and Azzi superstars in the future, then young kids coming up will look up to other teams/ conferences and superstars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What are all the ties to Maryland?

Proximity to home, recently her and her parents changed AAU teams and her parents now run an UA sponsored team(Maryland is UA's marquis school), Kevin Plank the founder of UA went to the same HS as Fudd and then graduated from Maryland, and the fact that Fudd has been seen numerous times with Maryland gear on(not a big deal by itself, but added to the other facts it's intriguing). Just a hunch, but I also think she wants to go somewhere where she will be hands down the #1 option, that is just not happening at UConn. I'm not saying that she is selfish or a glory hog, just that she wants to run the show.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just a hunch, but I also think she wants to go somewhere where she will be hands down the #1 option, that is just not happening at UConn. I'm not saying that she is selfish or a glory hog, just that she wants to run the show.

An interesting theory but I'm not sure I buy it. She certainly had no problem blending into two American international teams on the way to gold. She's never struck me as a person who needs to be the lead singer. In fact, she's always seemed reserved and attention-shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom