Joe D.'s new gig... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Joe D.'s new gig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You miss my point, which is that the lack of listeners is due to the type of media, not the content.

You are missing my point. Not suggesting they should listen to AM radio, but they won't listen to the content anywhere, which is why the content isn't anywhere, because nobody can make money on it. And it isn't that they aren't listening to the radio, but maybe they all just prefer listening to Ariana Grande and Maroon 5.

Reaction Score
You are missing my point. Not suggesting they should listen to AM radio, but they won't listen to the content anywhere, which is why the content isn't anywhere, because nobody can make money on it. And it isn't that they aren't listening to the radio, but maybe they all just prefer listening to Ariana Grande and Maroon 5.

Right. Because people who disagree with you are uninformed or misinformed. It is that assumption that has this country where it is politically.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If all media (other than WTIC1080 and Fox News) slants to the left, then doesn't it follow that who ever is listening to stations other than WTIC and Fox News - by definition - listen to left wing media?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right. Because people who disagree with you are uninformed or misinformed. It is that assumption that has this country where it is politically.

Well he is right on the topic. Maybe they all listen to NPR.

Reaction Score
Well he is right on the topic. Maybe they all listen to NPR.

There is no left-leaning content anywhere? That is what he said.

If it's just that they're not listening to it on the radio, then my point stands -- it's the type of media, not the content.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no left-leaning content anywhere? That is what he said.

If it's just that they're not listening to it on the radio, then my point stands -- it's the type of media, not the content.

He flat out said it exists on XM.

Nobody listens to it there either. It's not like there aren't liberals. They just don't seem to listen to radio talk shows.

Reaction Score

That's a reach. All I said is that liberal talk radio doesn't really exist because nobody can make money doing it. If you are disputing that, I'd love to understand why. In a mature business like radio, if there is $ in a particular format I'm pretty sure that someone will put programming on the air.

Further, that's why right wing talk radio exists. Because it is profitable. It isn't that hard to understand.

Reaction Score
Let me count the ways.

Seldom knows when the play is technically over.
Zones out and starts the play by play 30 seconds after it starts
Has no idea of the majority of UConn FB player names involved in the action
Has a really poor announcing voice
Adds little value to what is actually happening on the field.

However as a guest host he interviews OK, throwing nice softballs to be answered, ala Terry Wogan (for any who watched his UK tv show).
He may have the worst announcing voice in all of football. Ever hear the play of the game at the Rent ? It's worse than nails on a chalk board.Wayne Norman should do the play by play.Great voice to listen to.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Just heard a snippet of Diaco being interviewed, I was hoping they would ask him if the OOC were to be considered pre-season games this year. A lot of talk about academic gains and nutritional championships.

Reaction Score
As Imus used to say about Rush's audience, it's all shut-ins and the elderly.

Let's not turn this into a cesspool argument. I was mostly responding to the post that mused "why is there a right wing AM in Hartford"...as if that were a crazy idea.

It makes money, or it wouldn't be there. That's really my only point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let's not turn this into a cesspool argument. I was mostly responding to the post that mused "why is there a right wing AM in Hartford"...as if that were a crazy idea.

It makes money, or it wouldn't be there. That's really my only point.

And that post was a joke to begin with!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My degree is actually in TV and Radio production - I listen to Rush every now and again because it's such a great production. Same with Francesa, I pretty much can't listen to other sports talk because he is so good - even if he says some incredibly stupid things.

Reaction Score
You don't always have to agree with the content to admire how it is put together.

I listened to Hannity this afternoon (down on one of the San Antonio AMs) - also a pretty well put together show.

Reaction Score
I've always Enjoyed listening to joe d do play by play - both football and hoop. I still have a cassette tape of is call of the 1999 national championship game. Still gives me chills.

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
Let's not turn this into a cesspool argument. I was mostly responding to the post that mused "why is there a right wing AM in Hartford"...as if that were a crazy idea. It makes money, or it wouldn't be there. That's really my only point.

Right. It makes money because the audience for AM radio (and probably all broadcast radio) overwhelmingly leans to the right.

Reaction Score
Excalibur said:
Right. It makes money because the audience for AM radio (and probably all broadcast radio) overwhelmingly leans to the right.

And you accuse me of having bias.

So exactly what do liberals do with their time since none of them listen to the radio? Or are you just going to make up.

If everyone listening to radio was a right winger, how would lady gaga even exist?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The show is still a work in progress. Joe D. reminds me of a point guard that doesn't like to give up the ball.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The show is still a work in progress. Joe D. reminds me of a point guard that doesn't like to give up the ball.
I blame the afternoon drive time format. There can be no meaningful discussion in 4 minutes of air time. If this show fails it won't be on Joe D or Gresh. It's a WTIC issue. There is no reason to have a hard out for traffic and weather every 10 minutes. Even on Tuesday when 175 in Newington was closed, it was the same exact report every ten minutes for two hours. It's lazy, half baked programing. The station is trying to hold on to their "News Talk" identity but cater to sports fans, but in reality it's going to turn off both audiences. It's not entertaining or informative and pretty soon, they won't change back.

Either go all in for that 3-4 hour slot or go back to Religious Rightwing Radio.

Also, I think the show needs more UConn. It is the off-season and they just had Coach Diaco on, but I hope come August, there is much more UConn content. If it's just New York and Boston talk, then people are going to tune back into The FAN or WEEI.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I still am listening to Dibble, but have turned into Joe D and Gresh. They are not bad, but will need time to mesh and get their act together.
More UCONN would be better and would draw better ratings.

Reaction Score
More UCONN would be better and would draw better ratings.

Perhaps. But perhaps not. Just because you would like it more doesn't mean that the population at large would listen more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is literally nothing to talk about this time of the year on UConn.

Gibbs? That would be about it and maybe 2% of the people listening know who he is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I may have to walk this back a bit, I caught the 4-5 hour yesterday. I thought they had a nice back and forth rhythm going with the FB guest from the Daily News. And they seem to be making an effort to mitigate the forced interruptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom