Joe D.'s new gig... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joe D.'s new gig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, it doesn't. In fact, it's a bad thing on a local talk show where no dissent is tolerated. Even if the coach is a braindead, washed-up hack formerly from upstate New York.

I met Joe D at the UConn Basketball game at Ramstein a few years ago. Super nice guy. He didn't have anything nice to say about P, even though I didn't ask him directly. He just said that UConn needs to have good coaches if they ever want to get into a better conference. This was before the Louisville thing. Ever since then I have been a fan of his.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I met Joe D at the UConn Basketball game at Ramstein a few years ago. Super nice guy. He didn't have anything nice to say about P, even though I didn't ask him directly. He just said that UConn needs to have good coaches if they ever want to get into a better conference. This was before the Louisville thing. Ever since then I have been a fan of his.

Objection, relevance

Reaction Score
Good to see a sports radio show that'll cover sports in Connecticut, not just New York and Boston. I was hoping the dibble show would actually go in depth with UConn sports, but that doesn't seem like the case.

All things being considered, I'm still listening to the Le Batard show on my commute home because that show is actual entertainment

I imagine Dibble would - if the audience demanded it. But the reality is that people want to talk Sox/Yanks/etc.

It isn't that he is anti-UCONN.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
They already do this. They have the Football coach's show every Thursday of game week ( unless a Fri or Thurs game then it's Tues or Wed). Last year it was held at the Wood n Tap in Vernon. Not a lot of callers into that show all season. I was at every show except for 1. Hopefully, they hold it at Buff Wild Wings or somewhere else because it was the a very good setting for that kind of show. The promoters are definitely missing out on a fun night with this.
They should move Diaco's show to The Rent... Do it in the Club Level bar area.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think Joe D. gets a bad wrap because while he is recognized as the Voice of the UConn Huskies, his paycheck is still signed by the Radio Station, which has a strategic alliance with the school. I think Joe D is handicapped in to a certain extent by his employer.

That said, I am listening right now on TuneIn Radio through my phone. It's not the same "on-air" content in terms of commercials as terrestrial radio, but given the timing during the first half hour, it seemed like WTIC was going to shoehorn this show into the same format as the Pastor and ex (and current) convict Governor format. When they were on, it seemed like every 10 minutes of actual time was comprised of an average of 4 minutes of original content, 4 minutes of commercials, and 2 minutes of traffic and weather (at least during the afternoon rush). They could never take more than one call and when they did, there could be no meaningful debate. They were always up against the break.

In the era of smart phones, Traffic and Weather on the 8s is an antiquated format.

Reaction Score
He gets a deserved wrap because he big-times local guys while at the same time cowers to the national guys in Bristol.

Reaction Score
Anything other than that gasbag Rowland and his best friend the preacher will be better. That was embarrassing that WTIC let the felon former governor preach his choices for future voting. Hopefully WTIC got the memo from the FCC.

Reaction Score
A pleasure to have another sports talk option. I listened for 45 mins on the way home. The 'On the Eights' + commercials is a big handicap for callers. We'll be hearing a lot of just Joe D. and Gresh so they'd better be funny, fresh and good story tellers. Gresh was fresh to my ears. Joe D., for a media sports pro, knows a little about a lot but not a lot about anything non-UConn. Maybe Yanks but even for his (and mine) beloved Giants , his knowledge is not pro talk level. He is handicapped by working so much UConn but his toadiness is grating. Has to feel like the guys he covers think of him as one of the boys.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Other than UCONN Sports, WTIC is the radio equivalent of Fox News with more commercials.

you don't like alternatives? are you part of the single voice crowd? everybody has to march / sing in unison?

:)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
hope it works out for Joe D, exposure can't hurt

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
you don't like alternatives? are you part of the single voice crowd? everybody has to march / sing in unison?

:)
Alternatives to good entertainment? Good radio? Alternative to what? I don't like WTIC (other than UConn sports) mainly because in any given 10 minute time frame there is only 4 minutes of original content (whatever that content may be), on average. The other six minutes (as I said above) is comprised of commercials or Traffic and Weather on the 8s.

Regarding your other insinuation, I was making an observation. WTIC airs Jim Vicevich, Rush Limbaugh and they used to have The pastor and ex- (& current) convict governor. They couldn't get farther to the right without falling off the edge of the Earth.

Reaction Score
Joe D is an outstanding basketball play by play guy. Listening to other broadcasts, especially college broadcasts whether at top schools or not, makes clear just how good he is at it. Much less so with football.

That said, he's an awful talk radio host. Adding Gresh in all his obnoxiousness isn't going to fix that.

Reaction Score
Alternatives to good entertainment? Good radio? Alternative to what? I don't like WTIC (other than UConn sports) mainly because in any given 10 minute time frame there is only 4 minutes of original content (whatever that content may be), on average. The other six minutes (as I said above) is comprised of commercials or Traffic and Weather on the 8s.

Regarding your other insinuation, I was making an observation. WTIC airs Jim Vicevich, Rush Limbaugh and they used to have The pastor and ex- (& current) convict governor. They couldn't get farther to the right without falling off the edge of the Earth.
They also have delays of Sean Hannity later in the evening. Talk about the far right.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'll prob catch flack for this but the Joe D. issue (being a homer for UConn b/c bascially that who he works for) is why I really used to like when Kevin Nathan was on more on WTIC, in addition to the Sports Talk show during the week, he also used to do the post-game show for the UConn Football games. Used to be nice to be able to call in and comiserate with other fans while driving home from The Rent or pos-game tailgating.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lots of people listen to right wing talk.

Way more people listen to right wing talk than left wing talk.

It is odd that Connecticut is supposed to be so liberal and the clear channel AM is 100% right wing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll prob catch flack for this but the Joe D. issue (being a homer for UConn b/c bascially that who he works for) is why I really used to like when Kevin Nathan was on more on WTIC, in addition to the Sports Talk show during the week, he also used to do the post-game show for the UConn Football games. Used to be nice to be able to call in and comiserate with other fans while driving home from The Rent or pos-game tailgating.

As annoying as Kevin Nathan can be... he hosts a better talk show than Joe D.

Reaction Score
I've never heard Joe D in a radio show format, but I love him as a play-by-play guy. Why are people down on him?

Let me count the ways.

Seldom knows when the play is technically over.
Zones out and starts the play by play 30 seconds after it starts
Has no idea of the majority of UConn FB player names involved in the action
Has a really poor announcing voice
Adds little value to what is actually happening on the field.

However as a guest host he interviews OK, throwing nice softballs to be answered, ala Terry Wogan (for any who watched his UK tv show).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I will agree that Joe has a good call for hoop. FB not so much

Reaction Score
Way more people listen to right wing talk than left wing talk.

It is odd that Connecticut is supposed to be so liberal and the clear channel AM is 100% right wing.

The people that would listen to left-leaning programming are not listening to AM radio . . .

Reaction Score
They aren't listening to left-wing radio at all. Nobody listens to it, even where it exists (like on Sirius/XM).

You miss my point, which is that the lack of listeners is due to the type of media, not the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom