Joe D.'s new gig... | The Boneyard

Joe D.'s new gig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Starting on Monday per the Courant, Joe D. will team with Andy Gresh for a new sports talk show on WTIC from 3 to 7 P.M. They will air opposite Rob Dibble on ESPN locally.

Reaction Score
That's good. Wtic has been garbage at that time for the last few years with our disgraced former governor and some pastor that I have no idea what he's talking about. A sports show is definitely a step up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's good. Wtic has been garbage at that time for the last few years with our disgraced former governor and some pastor that I have no idea what he's talking about. A sports show is definitely a step up.

Other than UCONN Sports, WTIC is the radio equivalent of Fox News with more commercials.

Reaction Score
Great news. One more option on my commute home. The Pastor Will show is horrid.

Reaction Score
Not the biggest Joe D fan, but any viable alternative to Dibble is worth a shot.
Totally agree. Not the biggest Joe D fan, but if he talks UConn sports I will listen. Really disliked Dibble when he was with Dan Patrick years ago. Actually doesn't bother me as much with his new show. But really happy to have this choice.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It is good to have chooses and you know that WTIC will have a lot of UCONN stuff because of their ties with the university and contract.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Not the biggest Joe D fan, but if he talks UConn sports I will listen. Really disliked Dibble when he was with Dan Patrick years ago. Actually doesn't bother me as much with his new show. But really happy to have this choice.
I actually didn't mind Dibble when DP was doing all the heavy lifting. Dibble isn't interesting enough to carry a show, and having producers/flunkys serve as co-host is just bizarre.

Reaction Score

Also agree . Not a Joe D fan. He has been subbing in on the afternoon 3 to 6 spot. The lack of listener calls is embarrassing. When he does get calls, unless the listener tells him how great he is, he is likely to go off on them.
The early advertisements say Joe D and Dibble will talk New York vs. Boston . No mention of UCONN?

Reaction Score
I've never heard Joe D in a radio show format, but I love him as a play-by-play guy. Why are people down on him?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Because he's been an for years as a solo act.
Pompous and there's no good opinion unless he hears his back.

Doing away with the political commentary for the afternoon drive will be refreshing. I didn't like him doing that either.

Reaction Score
Showballot said:
I've never heard Joe D in a radio show format, but I love him as a play-by-play guy. Why are people down on him?

Agreed on loving him as a play by play guy. Don't think he will add anything as a host. Think he will be critical or honest?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed on loving him as a play by play guy. Don't think he will add anything as a host. Think he will be critical or honest?
That's where Gresh comes in. Joe won't be able to bully him the way he does the callers or Wayne. That's why I think it has a chance.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
That's where Gresh comes in. Joe won't be able to bully him the way he does the callers or Wayne. That's why I think it has a chance.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I think Joe D is a huge UConn homer so that makes up a little for him being arrogant. The show will probably be centered on UConn once football and basketball season comes. Kind of hard to make it all about UConn sports now that its the off season. There is plenty that they could do like having Diaco on once a week during football season, and KO/Geno in a weekly time spot during basketball season. I will definitely give this show a listen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't do that long on sports with no calls and WTIC sportstalk gets no calls. Will be brutal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Joe D is a huge UConn homer so that makes up a little for him being arrogant.

No, it doesn't. In fact, it's a bad thing on a local talk show where no dissent is tolerated. Even if the coach is a braindead, washed-up hack formerly from upstate New York.

Reaction Score
All you have to know about Joe D.'s on air style is his periodic references to having heard a topic aired earlier in the day on the Mike Francesca Show "on our sister station WFAN in New York." Joe mimics that gas bag. At least now there will be less references as both shows are basically on in the same timeframe.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I think Joe D is a huge UConn homer so that makes up a little for him being arrogant. The show will probably be centered on UConn once football and basketball season comes. Kind of hard to make it all about UConn sports now that its the off season. There is plenty that they could do like having Diaco on once a week during football season, and KO/Geno in a weekly time spot during basketball season. I will definitely give this show a listen.

They already do this. They have the Football coach's show every Thursday of game week ( unless a Fri or Thurs game then it's Tues or Wed). Last year it was held at the Wood n Tap in Vernon. Not a lot of callers into that show all season. I was at every show except for 1. Hopefully, they hold it at Buff Wild Wings or somewhere else because it was the a very good setting for that kind of show. The promoters are definitely missing out on a fun night with this.

Reaction Score
Good to see a sports radio show that'll cover sports in Connecticut, not just New York and Boston. I was hoping the dibble show would actually go in depth with UConn sports, but that doesn't seem like the case.

All things being considered, I'm still listening to the Le Batard show on my commute home because that show is actual entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom