James Madison Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

James Madison Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
fwiw, as bad as that drubbing was, my wife is in the other room watching Pitt quite literally giving UofCanada the game. QB not only has a pick 6 but also two fumbles that led to scores.

On the bright side, it's at Yankee Stadium but the attendance looks like our last game at the Rent.
As a current resident of Orange central, the fact that they have had an ugly season is the only thing sustaining me through our season. And they don’t even have hoops to fall back on.

Reaction Score
Mora made it clear at halftime that he is fed up with being hosed by refs from the opponent’s conference.

Dude is not happy as an Independent.
Right, that was the ref’s fault…

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Robertson isn’t good, guess we have been under the illusion that he’s good since he can throw a forward pass and hits a couple of 20-30 yard plays. Would still have him as our qb next year what other options do we have.
We have Zion to take a few snaps, but I would like to see the kid who was the QB from Jonathan Law (Milford) give it a go.

Reaction Score
Right, that was the ref’s fault…
To start extending the issue at halftime to “all refs as in independent” made him seem like he was losing it.

And frankly, if we wanted to be in the game, we needed better play from players like Rosa how has some pretty epic failures today. 4th and 5, he picks up 4? Runs a few yards and coughs up football for no reason. He hurt us today.

And to matters worse his antics didn’t fire up team. In fact after his halftime rant, we had an epic meltdown on both sides of ball.

Mora seems to like to point out what our team is lacking. Has anyone told him that it’s his job to fix it, make us competitive each week. Innuendos on reffing and conference affiliation is getting old. If JMU can do it, we should be able to as well.

Reaction Score
We have a lot more issues than Mitchell and Rosa. They're not even in the top 50.
Really?

Mitchell was supposed to be the All America heart of the defense and he’s been mediocre this year, his regression as well as the rest of the defense is a huge issue.

Lost fumbles and negative plays from trying to bounce everything outside are a major issue IMO

Reaction Score
I will go out on the limb and just guess that JMU is building their team from the portal which this does not capture.
The cognitive dissonance here is WILD

We have had higher ranked classes than them in the last FIVE seasons.

In the past two we have had 11 P5 guys in the portal, they have had 6.

They are not more talent but they have better coaching and player development.

Reaction Score

I think you meant to say ex-P5, right? And may there be a reason they are no longer at that level? The thing is they have had a reputation for excellence for quite awhile, FCS regardless. UConn's reputation is the opposite. This will take a bunch of money to turn around. That is also the good news. It is now legal to do that. If it doesn't happen, it will be a matter of priorities.

Reaction Score
Roberson would look better if we had a running game. He has shown himself to be a capable passer in the pocket, and is able to scramble for a few yards. Without an effective running game it's tough to throw opponents off balance and keep them guessing, and also doesn't open up the field for receivers.
4th string running back has been our top guy. Not an excuse just a fact. Same as last year

Reaction Score
The n-th game this season I didn't get to watch despite watching 10 last year. In Louisville right now. I will keep my statement that we have to win the off-season. I think mora is the right piece going forward as long as his ego is interested. There is a lot of blood to be shed in this off-season
I think this is accurate. We will see a different lineup next year. And the list of portal guys from our side will be long. Lots will play at FCS places next year.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

I agree. We have some HUGE glaring deficiencies with athletes in a few positions (corners and safety stand out) but we have some legit players too; however, they are not prepared to execute, not adjusted to respond to the other teams, and not coached-up. We must get a new OC and hire a DC immediately. No nonsense.

Reaction Score
I think you meant to say ex-P5, right? And may there be a reason they are no longer at that level? The thing is they have had a reputation for excellence for quite awhile, FCS regardless. UConn's reputation is the opposite. This will take a bunch of money to turn around. That is also the good news. It is now legal to do that. If it doesn't happen, it will be a matter of priorities.
What does their reputation have to do with it? They get lower ranked recruits than us from high school. They are not building through the portal, we have three times as many transfers over the last two years as them. They are simply succeeding with less talent. They pay their coaches a third of what we pay ours, so everyone who says it is coaching budget, look at yesterday. Charlton makes almost as much as their head coach.

I like Mora and all, but there is only one excuse for getting mauled by a team with less talent like yesterday...coaching.

Reaction Score
I think this is accurate. We will see a different lineup next year. And the list of portal guys from our side will be long. Lots will play at FCS places next year.
Aside from any talent, the selection of playing time needs to drastically change. Why did it take until November to take the kicker who made all his extra points, 75% of his field goals and could kick into the end zone last year off the bench?

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I agree. We have some HUGE glaring deficiencies with athletes in a few positions (corners and safety stand out) but we have some legit players too; however, they are not prepared to execute, not adjusted to respond to the other teams, and not coached-up. We must get a new OC and hire a DC immediately. No nonsense.
Yes, and Cignetti said in preparation for the game they thought they could expose our corners, and they did. Mora is looking to shore up these and other weak areas by finding players in the transfer portal which gives me hope for the future. I really don't know enough about the coaching aspects to understand how much our shortcomings can be attributed specifically to coaching, so I'll leave that to others to debate. It's true that we have some solid players on our roster but the good teams will find the soft spots and exploit them, which is exactly what has happened over the course of the season. You want to get to a point where opposing coaches scout us and conclude that there are no apparent weaknesses. That's how it should be.

Reaction Score
Mora made it clear at halftime that he is fed up with being hosed by refs from the opponent’s conference.

Dude is not happy as an Independent.
These refs and the home cooking they're dishing out (even on our own field) is getting nauseating. Can we look into hiring a crew from a different conference than the team we're playing? Heck, I'd take a Div 2 crew to ref our home games. Is there some rule that says we have to use a crew from our opponents conference?

Reaction Score
Really?

Mitchell was supposed to be the All America heart of the defense and he’s been mediocre this year, his regression as well as the rest of the defense is a huge issue.

Lost fumbles and negative plays from trying to bounce everything outside are a major issue IMO
I think Mitchell really misses his 2 LB partners from last season. Those 2 are the only starters who didn't return.

Reaction Score
If you look the last few years Mitchell has built up massive tackle numbers, largely in pursuit rather than penetration or defeating a block, Swenson and Boyer-Randle were massive losses for the defense. There was a massive speed loss on the outside backer slots, plus the secondary has demonstrated time and again that it lacks the speed to stay with receivers deep, as well as it's struggles to help/hand-off responsibilities as route-runners transition between zones.

Reaction Score
safe to say we were a little more exposed at the 2nd level on D, which made the deficiencies on the back end look that much worse...

HOWEVER, I still believe our offense should take a lot of the blame for all of it ... that undisciplined unit just didn't score enough... We should've put up way bigger numbers...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom