Jacobs: Big 12 Is Out In The Cold, So UConn Officials Should Strike While Iron Is Hot | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: Big 12 Is Out In The Cold, So UConn Officials Should Strike While Iron Is Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Stray_Dog said:
...but you are forgetting the most important rule in CR - what would be the worst thing for UConn??? Then this is what will happen. my guess San Diego State and BYU to the Big XII and Army and Umass to the AAC. Cincy goes to the ACC and with that the BoneYard becomes non-existent at least to football and NM pulls out his milk crate stands up tall and states very loudly I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE GONE INDY In FOOTBALL. At which point in time, nothing but his comment will be left of the Boneyard with respect to football! Of course, this is if that rule holds true - and so far it has been pretty consistent. The logic behind the rule may not be very sound but the effect that created the rule cannot be disputed.

then Carl Spakler touches the obelisk.

Hard cut to black.

Reaction Score
It's not out of the question. I'm sure the Big XII, if they had their druthers, would prefer a number of closer schools to UConn. But the sticking point here is money, so it might come down to: who will the networks pay the most for?

Fox is reputedly eager for an east coast presence and it's hard to beat Connecticut + penetration into NY/New England as a market. ESPN hopefully has some home state loyalty and would give a bit more ground for us than others; if not, Connecticut politicians should be asking them why. UCF, Cincy, and BYU (not to mention Houston) would be tough competition but if the networks think they'd get more viewers here than there, there's a chance the B12 looks this way.

More than Herbst and Manuel talking to peers in the B12, we need the governor talking to ESPN.
I was going to say, why do Jacobs and others think it's up to Herbst and Manual to get us into another conference when real politicians are supposed to make these things happen. I know the answer...when you don't have any powerful senators or congressmen then I guess you have to look to someone else.

Reaction Score
On the flip side, I don't see how adding 2 teams will actually help the B12 (other than better helping parents like me explain to my kids why the B12 is called the B12)

1. every year, by design, at least one of the P5 gets left out of the Final 4
2. you're adding 2 teams, maybe 4, for what?
3. if/when the SEC east reawakens from its slumber, the SEC will grab 2 seats, not 1 at the final 4
4. if they had a CG this year, it would have been Baylor/KSU (no split of that conference can split BU and TCU) and had Baylor beaten them 2x, it would still be 5th. And had KSU won, it would still have been OSU in 4th.
5. I get that they feel left out, but every year someone will feel that exact same way. I don't see how adding Mormons to that conference and/or another program will somehow create a different result than we saw this year.

Having said that, WM better offer up the store to Bowlsby and call Swofford (who now has a nervous irishman on his hands) and Delany and see if they need a dance partner.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wonder if the Big XII would be in a situation where if you're gonna go to 12, why not 14?

I doubt it, but it's a consideration.

Reaction Score
I love the Huskies as much as the next UConn fan; but, athletics is not Herbst's most pressing issue maybe not even second. First and foremost, UConn is a state research university and thus the Connecticut state budget and the proposed cuts to higher education spending is her most pressing issue. Period. Second, is UConn's expansion initiatives (physical and human capital) and related AAU membership push, which obviously is impacted by budget issues. Third, is athletic affiliation, which could also be impacted by AAU status. She said as much in NYC a month or so back.
The problem with the AAU is it's another good ol' boys club where you have to be voted in. Look how often they let new members in. That will tell you the time frame we're talking about here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I wonder if the Big XII would be in a situation where if you're gonna go to 12, why not 14?

I doubt it, but it's a consideration.

I kind of feel like Texas, Oklahoma wouldn't go for it because let's face it they are safe no matter what. By that same token, maybe the others would want some added security with Cinci, BYU, UConn and say Memphis (not sure they even attempt to access Florida).

Reaction Score
My point was that Fox wanting to push FS1/2 is irrelevant when their direct competition holds equal rights.

No. Absolutely not. Why does BC not want to play UConn in football -- because when a perceived superior product is shown to be on equal footing with a perceived inferior product, the perceived inferior product wins. Every time Fox and ESPN split something valuable, Fox looks more like ESPN and wins.

Reaction Score
On the flip side, I don't see how adding 2 teams will actually help the B12 (other than better helping parents like me explain to my kids why the B12 is called the B12)

1. every year, by design, at least one of the P5 gets left out of the Final 4
2. you're adding 2 teams, maybe 4, for what?
3. if/when the SEC east reawakens from its slumber, the SEC will grab 2 seats, not 1 at the final 4
4. if they had a CG this year, it would have been Baylor/KSU (no split of that conference can split BU and TCU) and had Baylor beaten them 2x, it would still be 5th. And had KSU won, it would still have been OSU in 4th.
5. I get that they feel left out, but every year someone will feel that exact same way. I don't see how adding Mormons to that conference and/or another program will somehow create a different result than we saw this year.

Having said that, WM better offer up the store to Bowlsby and call Swofford (who now has a nervous irishman on his hands) and Delany and see if they need a dance partner.

Who. 4 is a huge leap of faith. Baylor beating KSU on Saturday would have been at least as good a win as OSU beating Wisconsin. And before you tell me that TOSU was already ahead of Baylor entering last weekend, it wouldn't have been if Baylor had already beaten KSU once in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Tulsa World and Sporting News reporting that the Big 12 had already interviewed Cinci prior to the one true champion debacle. Meeting in NY not to interview anyone; just regularly scheduled.

My OU and OSU friends from Tulsa say after WV addition they do not want to go east......but they are not decision makers

s

Reaction Score
my pipe dream is that the B1G. if that doesn't happen, i'm praying ND sees no way to a championship without full football membership and joins the ACC bringing UConn along for the ride. if that doesn't happen, I'm hoping someone gets they crazy idea for four super conferences at 16 with their own network on 4 different channels.

the big 12 isn't going to happen.

so we're pretty much fahked.

Reaction Score
From what I have been reading and hearing elsewhere, the top two XI candidates appear to be BYU (biggest independent name on the market not named ND) and Cincinnati, to appease West Virginia and to maybe get some traction it the Midwest market. Colorado St. maybe the back-up for BYU, and their accouncement of a new stadium cannot be coincidence (http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/12/06/new-csu-football-stadium-approved-by-board-of-governors). UCF is high-up there; but having another isolated outpost, i.e. West Virginia II, is a concern. Memphis' money got attention; but, it is a stretch.

As for UConn, in my opinion, push hard for the XII even if it is unrealistic in the hope that the thought of the XII having a toehold in the NYC and Boston markets forces the B1G or the ACC to act.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
From the Dallas Morning News. We aren't even mentioned. Reality check people.

Who should the Big 12 add if they expand? Thank you for voting!
Memphis 34.59%

BYU 26.33%

Cincinnati 23.24%

Colorado State 9.81%

Other: 1.52%

Boise State 1.28%

Central Florida (UCF) 1.1%

Houston 0.96%

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Memphis 34.59%

BYU 26.33%

Cincinnati 23.24%

Colorado State 9.81%

Boise State 1.28%

Houston 0.96%

It's right there, "other"

Reaction Score

Memphis 34.59%

BYU 26.33%

Cincinnati 23.24%

Colorado State 9.81%

Boise State 1.28%

Houston 0.96%
We are now the knights known as "Other."
The fact that Memphis got 35% leads me to believe this is a fictitious poll.

Reaction Score
Who. 4 is a huge leap of faith. Baylor beating KSU on Saturday would have been at least as good a win as OSU beating Wisconsin. And before you tell me that TOSU was already ahead of Baylor entering last weekend, it wouldn't have been if Baylor had already beaten KSU once in the regular season.

While we will never know, if they played twice, they would have already beaten KState and KState would not have been as highly ranked as a Wiscy. IMO, the cmte felt that tOSU was playing some of the best fball in the country after losing not 1 but 2 QBs in one season - and not just any QB, but each a Heisman candidate when injured. Overcoming all of that and going 12-1 I believe put tOSU exactly where they are - in the playoffs - and left Baylor exactly where they are - sulking that they won't be buried in Maryland. But, that is just an opinion (lets not bring faith in to this - it upsets readers here and might have Art Briles screaming that we need more christians on the committee).

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Pretty easy to find stories online about the Presidnets of both Cincinnati and Colorado State already lobbying the B12. Is UConn even bothering? I know it is not the preferred home, but it is better than our current situation.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Pretty easy to find stories online about the Presidnets of both Cincinnati and Colorado State already lobbying the B12. Is UConn even bothering? I know it is not the preferred home, but it is better than our current situation.
Yes, not an ideal fit and quite a long shot but UConn has been working all angles behind the scenes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, not an ideal fit and quite a long shot but UConn has been working all angles behind the scenes.
Do you know this Dan or are you just guessing?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Do you know this Dan or are you just guessing?
I will just say it's what I heard, but no additional details. UConn's public face is not indicative of what's going on behind the scenes.

That said, need to temper expectations. We are not going to the Big 12 unless for some miracle. We are just not a good fit.

The Big 12 will most likely not make a decision on expansion until after the conference championship deregulation vote in the spring.

Reaction Score
There must be no one one the yard that has any connection to Manuel or Herbst because never has there been any info leaks on anything. We don't know if they care about this or are planning a winter fundraising trip to the Bahamas. This isn't like wins and losses, there's no way to judge their competence in this area (getting us out of hell).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
There must be no one one the yard that has any connection to Manuel or Herbst because never has there been any info leaks on anything. We don't know if they care about this or are planning a winter fundraising trip to the Bahamas. This isn't like wins and losses, there's no way to judge their competence in this area (getting us out of hell).
This Is by far the most frustrating part. If they were out in the media lobbying for a p5 invite I would say hey it appears as though they are doing all they can do. But right now my assumption is that they are satisfied with the conference we are in. As stated earlier I would have loved the school to hire an AD with strong b1g or acc ties and just put all our eggs into one basket.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This Is by far the most frustrating part. If they were out in the media lobbying for a p5 invite I would say hey it appears as though they are doing all they can do. But right now my assumption is that they are satisfied with the conference we are in. As stated earlier I would have loved the school to hire an AD with strong b1g or acc ties and just put all our eggs into one basket.
That's what happened when we were supposedly penciled in for the ACC and then in blew up in their faces. Wasn't a good look. There is no chance anyone is happy in the AAC despite any politically correct words to the contrary.

Reaction Score
For the record, there are currently 128 football programs and I am sure they are all very aware of everyone else's situation. This is not a mystery. Every G5 program wants in a P5 conference. And as far as "fit" goes, there is no such thing other than geography. We are geographically challenged and I for one am sick of the northeast, the cost of living, and the weather. I should really put myself in a position to root for Arizona, Arizona State, or USF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom