Jacobs: Big 12 Is Out In The Cold, So UConn Officials Should Strike While Iron Is Hot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: Big 12 Is Out In The Cold, So UConn Officials Should Strike While Iron Is Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe our governor should pay a visit to ESPN.
It seems the time to go all in is now.
The Big12 is a stretch but it's the only port in the storm ,which can sink the USS Huskie.
It's better to die fighting,than lay back and be devoured.

Reaction Score
UCONN wins at basketball, field hockey, and soccer. There are probably high schools in Texas that could beat our UCONN football team. There are so many reasons UCONN will not be invited to the Big 12. All this talk is nonsensical.

And yet ... WE beat Baylor fairly convincingly not that long ago. How soon we forget.

Reaction Score
And yet ... WE beat Baylor fairly convincingly not that long ago. How soon we forget.
we also beat ND, South Carolina, Maryland, Louisville, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Vandy, Virginia, Duke, Indiana...yet here we are on the outside with one of the worst teams in the country.

Reaction Score
we also beat ND, South Carolina, Maryland, Louisville, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Vandy, Virginia, Duke, Indiana...yet here we are on the outside with one of the worst teams in the country.

Does Iowa state still count?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like how people play the Fox angle and ignore that ESPN has half of the big XII contract.

I like how some people think that money from non-ESPN networks is not real money.

Reaction Score
The Big XII does not need to add two football powerhouses.

The Big XII and Baylor were hurt by lack of a CCG, and weak OOC schedule. You don't need to add great football programs to solve either of those problems. UConn may not receive a Big XII invite, but football doesn't have to be the reason.

We need to sell the Big XII on our positives; great academics, great athletic success (especially in Bball), proximity to NYC. If possible we should offer to play one conference football home game per year in NYC. Texas and Oklahoma mat not aspire to play in Hartford or Storrs, but playing in NYC might interest them.

Reaction Score
Does Iowa state still count?
Yes. Now if UCONN beat Texas, Oklahoma, FL State, Ohio State, Alabama, or another perennial super-power, then we have something to talk about.

Reaction Score
UCONN wins at basketball, field hockey, and soccer. There are probably high schools in Texas that could beat our UCONN football team. There are so many reasons UCONN will not be invited to the Big 12. All this talk is nonsensical.
typical snarky response... i'm guessing that uconn football will improve at some point in the future.
pretty sure any decision by any conference is based on the potential of a program or AD. not the results from the past 3-4 months.

Reaction Score
Expansion will be determined as much by Fox as much as as by the Big12. Our pitch should start and end with the value to Fox of expanding FS1 into New England/New York.
Yeah but FS1 already has Big East deal.

Reaction Score
typical snarky response... i'm guessing that uconn football will improve at some point in the future.
pretty sure any decision by any conference is based on the potential of a program or AD. not the results from the past 3-4 months.
You are correct on all counts. But it remains, UCONN will not be in the conference currently known as the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I like how people play the Fox angle and ignore that ESPN has half of the big XII contract.

Why to you have such trouble accepting the fact that many fans would prefer to ignore ESPN's existence? That's reality.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My point was that Fox wanting to push FS1/2 is irrelevant when their direct competition holds equal rights.

Reaction Score
You are correct on all counts. But it remains, UCONN will not be in the conference currently known as the Big 12.
I guess you could say the odds aren't likely, but if you measure the existing programs the Big12 has to choose from, uconn is the best fit (if you ignore geography). And to that, I would say that geography has been ignored in many of the CR decisions (Mizzou in SEC East, WVU in Big 12, UofL in ACC)...
As long as there is a discussion being had, Uconn has a chance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course you are correct, but the last 3-4 months, heck the last 3-4 years has something to do with it as well.

Reaction Score
I maintain CR does not necessarily mean expansion. You either smoke, or you get smoked. And perhaps it's time the Big 12 got smoked. If there are no needle-movers left to be had, it will be dissolved. The number will remain at 64 in 4 conferences.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I maintain CR does not necessarily mean expansion. You either smoke, or you get smoked. And perhaps it's time the Big 12 got smoked. If there are no needle-movers left to be had, it will be dissolved. The number will remain at 64 in 4 conferences.
Likewise if they add a Memphis, UConn, UCF, BYU ect. It will dilute the league and teams will see the writing on the wall and start heading to the B1G, Pac, SEC no? They are in a no win situation. Unless they can get a Championship game with 10 teams.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I think this concept died the day the PAC-16 did... at least in the near term. It doesn't seem like the TV networks are driving things in that direction as hard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My point was that Fox wanting to push FS1/2 is irrelevant when their direct competition holds equal rights.
So you are saying that ESPN would screw us over again? It is a miracle that a mob hasn't burned that place to the ground.

Reaction Score
Twice!

And RG III even gave the Rent props for being one of the hardest places to play when he was at Baylor.

"Robert Griffin III: The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska."

Reaction Score
I guess you could say the odds aren't likely, but if you measure the existing programs the Big12 has to choose from, uconn is the best fit (if you ignore geography). And to that, I would say that geography has been ignored in many of the CR decisions (Mizzou in SEC East, WVU in Big 12, UofL in ACC)...
As long as there is a discussion being had, Uconn has a chance.
...but you are forgetting the most important rule in CR - what would be the worst thing for UConn??? Then this is what will happen. my guess San Diego State and BYU to the Big XII and Army and Umass to the AAC. Cincy goes to the ACC and with that the BoneYard becomes non-existent at least to football and NM pulls out his milk crate stands up tall and states very loudly I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE GONE INDY In FOOTBALL. At which point in time, nothing but his comment will be left of the Boneyard with respect to football! Of course, this is if that rule holds true - and so far it has been pretty consistent. The logic behind the rule may not be very sound but the effect that created the rule cannot be disputed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom