Jacobs: Big 12 Is Out In The Cold, So UConn Officials Should Strike While Iron Is Hot | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: Big 12 Is Out In The Cold, So UConn Officials Should Strike While Iron Is Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are now the knights known as "Other."
The fact that Memphis got 35% leads me to believe this is a fictitious poll.

Sounds like an affirmative action category

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We are now the knights known as "Other."
The fact that Memphis got 35% leads me to believe this is a fictitious poll.
Doesn't Memphis have major facilities and academic issues?

Reaction Score
Doesn't Memphis have major facilities and academic issues?
Along with the vacated wins from Calipari's 2008 season. It's all good. Remember the first rule of CR: If it kicks the Huskies in the nuts, it's good for CR.

Reaction Score
One f--cking decent season and everyone wants Memphis.

It really was a death sentence when the ACC didn't take us. Louisville would've been snagged up because they make sense in several leagues. We make sense in exactly one league and it ain't the B1G, people, sorry to tell you.

Reaction Score

It really was a death sentence when the ACC didn't take us. Louisville would've been snagged up because they make sense in several leagues. We make sense in exactly one league and it ain't the B1G, people, sorry to tell you.
Dude, did you go to the Michigan game?

Reaction Score
Dude, did you go to the Michigan game?
I did. Good crowd. Still doesn't make us a midwestern football powerhouse or a member of the AAU.

We're a basketball school.

Reaction Score
I will just say it's what I heard, but no additional details. UConn's public face is not indicative of what's going on behind the scenes.

That said, need to temper expectations. We are not going to the Big 12 unless for some miracle. We are just not a good fit.

The Big 12 will most likely not make a decision on expansion until after the conference championship deregulation vote in the spring.

My understanding is that the ACC proposed this because they didn't want another mismatch in the CCG like they had last year with FSU - Duke. However, if it passes it means that a conference could move forward with an odd number of teams; it would be one less hurdle for UConn to get an ACC or B1G invite.

Reaction Score

Since when did anything related to CR make sense?

pj

Reaction Score
I did. Good crowd. Still doesn't make us a midwestern football powerhouse or a member of the AAU.

The B1G has expressly moved beyond midwestern football powerhouses. Because the supply of midwestern football powerhouses ran out, but the supply of money from expansion didn't.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

For the record, I totally agree and always have, UConn bball fans would absolutely go nuts playing UNC, Duke, Wake, Syracuse, etc every year. Football against the ACC would be great with much more easy and fun travel spots than the B1G has.

I get the historic appeal and academic cache of the B1G, but I really think UConn fits better in the ACC (especially back with BC and Cuse).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
For the record, I totally agree and always have, UConn bball fans would absolutely go nuts playing UNC, Duke, Wake, Syracuse, etc every year. Football against the ACC would be great with much more easy and fun travel spots than the B1G has.

I get the historic appeal and academic cache of the B1G, but I really think UConn fits better in the ACC (especially back with BC and Cuse).
Yeah, it's a no-brainer as far as fit, most of the old Big East football schools are there and the Tobacco Road bball names are there. Problem is we couldn't count on the former when it came down to ACC politics (especially BC/Cuse who went further in undermining our chances) and the latter don't have the sway they used to.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's a no-brainer as far as fit, most of the old Big East football schools are there and the Tobacco Road bball names are there. Problem is we couldn't count on the former when it came down to ACC politics (especially BC/Cuse who went further in undermining our chances) and the latter don't have the sway they used to.
Why wouldn't Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville vote in favor of us? I know as fans we can't stand each other but I would doubt that mentality extends to the people making those types of decisions. And from what I remember UNC and Duke were in our corner last time. And now that' they've signed the GOR they're probably not as afraid of pissing off FSU and Clemson by adding a crap football program.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville vote in favor of us? I know as fans we can't stand each other but I would doubt that mentality extends to the people making those types of decisions. And from what I remember UNC and Duke were in our corner last time. And now that' they've signed the GOR they're probably not as afraid of pissing off FSU and Clemson by adding a crap football program.
I can't recall where, but I remember reading rumors that Syracuse and possibly Pitt did not vote for us we were in contention with Louisville for the 16th spot. Maybe someone else here remembers.

Reaction Score
However, if it passes it means that a conference could move forward with an odd number of teams; it would be one less hurdle for UConn to get an ACC or B1G invite.

What does an odd number of teams matter?

The MAC currently has 13 until UMASS is kicked out in 2016. The MAC East has 7 teams. The MAC West has 6 teams. The MAC hosts its MAC Championship Game every year.

Reaction Score
The strategy is maintain close contact with the B12
Get rumors out their that we are at the top of the list .
Announce a planned addition to the Rent.
Actually try to win some football games next year increasing are street cred.
Get them to delay a final decision ,by any means necessary. Until after next football season
With the hope that the possibility of additional competition in the NY area Spurs the ACC or B1G to act.
It's not much but if anyone has a better idea please let us know.

Reaction Score
Your first strategy should be to entice 4 and 5 star recruits to have their families move to Connecticut. Having a fertile recruiting ground would make the B1G pay more attention.

Reaction Score
Your first strategy should be to entice 4 and 5 star recruits to have their families move to Connecticut. Having a fertile recruiting ground would make the B1G pay more attention.
Ray Allen moved to CT.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I can't recall where, but I remember reading rumors that Syracuse and possibly Pitt did not vote for us we were in contention with Louisville for the 16th spot. Maybe someone else here remembers.
Jacobs wrote that Syracuse preferred Louisville when they were asked for input but they technically didn't have a vote. I don't recall if Pitt's preference was ever reported.

Reaction Score
What does an odd number of teams matter?

The MAC currently has 13 until UMASS is kicked out in 2016. The MAC East has 7 teams. The MAC West has 6 teams. The MAC hosts its MAC Championship Game every year.

Maybe it's a conference preference. Maybe the ACC and B1G don't want an 8 team division and a 7 team division. Most people seem to agree that we need an expansion partner if we want to join the ACC or the B1G. I don't think odd/even number of teams is as much of an issue if you do away with the division requirements currently in place for a CCG.

Reaction Score
Jacobs wrote that Syracuse preferred Louisville when they were asked for input but they technically didn't have a vote. I don't recall if Pitt's preference was ever reported.

I hope that you are right.

Even if both preferred Louisville over us, it doesn't mean that either has a problem with us, just that they found Louisville more attractive at the time. They might both welcome us in the future.

Reaction Score

I hard that Pitt felt it owed BC for it's path into the ACC after BC blackballed UConn. Syracuse has this crazy idea that they 'own' NYC and view UConn as their top threat for the only valuable thing they offer - ownership of NYC. Of course, UConn is over 100 miles closer to NYC than Syracuse and strictly by alumni headcount, Rutgers is number one followed by Penn St, then UConn, then ND, and then Syracuse.

As it takes 2/3 super majority to approve a new member, or 5 votes to block it, UConn is DOA with 5 'guaranteed' no votes already in place - 10 BC, 2) Syracuse, 3) Pitt, 4) Florida St, 5) Clemson and I suspect Louisville is a 6th 'No' vote as they 'owe' FSU and Clemson.

Reaction Score
I hard that Pitt felt it owed BC for it's path into the ACC after BC blackballed UConn. Syracuse has this crazy idea that they 'own' NYC and view UConn as their top threat for the only valuable thing they offer - ownership of NYC. Of course, UConn is over 100 miles closer to NYC than Syracuse and strictly by alumni headcount, Rutgers is number one followed by Penn St, then UConn, then ND, and then Syracuse.

As it takes 2/3 super majority to approve a new member, or 5 votes to block it, UConn is DOA with 5 'guaranteed' no votes already in place - 10 BC, 2) Syracuse, 3) Pitt, 4) Florida St, 5) Clemson and I suspect Louisville is a 6th 'No' vote as they 'owe' FSU and Clemson.

Sad. I think both BC and UConn would gain from the rivalry.

Reaction Score

you forgot Shalala and Miami as a no vote. She lurvs UConn.....

Reaction Score
you forgot Shalala and Miami as a no vote. She lurvs UConn.....

Yep, Miami is a odd thing though. They are a Florida football school (with definitely southern football antics); but, are private, academically very strong, and have a ton of northeastern alumni. Thus, they do not seem to mind traveling north for recruitment and endowment opportunities and would be OK with visiting UConn (maybe in NYC) every other year for football as long as it was early in the season (Miami is in the Coastal division, BC is in the Atlantic with FSU). Shalala herself is a challenge as she was sued by Blumenthal (idiotic!) and has a master's from Syracuse; but, him and most of UConn's key players from the suit have moved on. I would consider them on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom