It's a win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's a win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I only saw two real negatives.

Stewart's angles and containment
Momentary miscommunication on Nova's first TD

The O-Line wasn't bad at all. Johnson doesn't run at will like he did without a good push. And the OVERALL protection was okay. It was just that one bad sack that changed the tone of the game for a whole quarter.

The first unsportsmanlike was utter BS. Didn't see anything but our guy getting thrown to the ground on the second. The mere occurrence of the first call makes me question the second.

And remember, idiots: we were +7.5 and won 3 of 4 quarters hands down on the way to beating a team who, despite their FCS status, was ranked in the top 100 teams in the nation last year i.e. ahead of us. It's sad in a way, but this was a considerable upset. Considering where this program was 9 months ago, this game was a demonstration of some serious improvement. You know our guys are fired up as duck in the locker room right now.

Reaction Score
I thought our defense played Stout. Nova has a very good offense and we pretty much held them the entire game. Some stupid penalties, missed tackles, and giving up some 3rd and long conversions. These are things that can be fixed.

Offense looked great at times and other times looked bogged down. Newsome and Thomas need to touch the ball more in open space and BS made few mistakes, protected the ball and was mobile.

This is a good Nova team. This is a good win! I have optimism.

Reaction Score
amory said:
We're 1-0. I don't care if it wasn't the prettiest game in the world. 1-0 is pretty enough for me right now

This and this. I sm sure I will be posting positives and negatives of game tomorrow, but a win is a win is a win. Period.

Reaction Score
Not just a "win is a win". This is a good win that some of our competitors will discount, to their detriment.

Our ability to make plays out of "broken" plays is something we have not seen in some time. We can only get better with a new QB.
That's play were BS appeared dead to rights in the backfield but managed a huge gain...don't care who you are playing that was special.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The guys looked like they had fun and were almost an extension of BD on the field. Very very different from the PP era. Good turnaround to see so far.

Reaction Score
gday8511:25pm via Twitter for iPhone
Praise God. Great win for the @Giantsand @UConnFootball. Way to close out the week!

DRyslik_77 11:35pm via Twitter for iPhone
Running out of that tunnel was one of the most exciting things I've ever done AND WE GOT THE W #HUSKIES

NoelThomas0511:45pm via Twitter for iPhone
At the end of the day we got it done. 1-0. On to the next. #BeatArmy

Luke_Zola11:45pm via Twitter for iPhone
Got that W! #blessed

BobbyPuyol11:49pm via Twitter for iPhone
1-0! #Godisgood

Ima_BEAST_90 11:50pm via Echofon
1-0

kMuRpHy54Sep 04, 12:00am via Twitter for iPhone
Down goes nova baby!!! Husky gang !!

Obi_1nOnlySep 04, 12:04am via Twitter for iPhone
Great team win!!! #BleedBlue

Last edited:

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Re: the second penalty, it was right in front of us (row 2 sec.139) and was a good call. The guy totally lost his cool and was out of control. HE needed to be ejected, and HCBD needs to kiCk his . The game would have been over at that point if not for his lack of self-control.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Re: the second penalty, it was right in front of us (row 2 sec.139) and was a good call. The guy totally lost his cool and was out of control. HE needed to be ejected, and HCBD needs to kiCk his . The game would have been over at that point if not for his lack of self-control.

It wouldn't have been. Kick a FG and it's 20-12. No real difference than 20-15 except you need 2 to tie and can't win in regulation.

Reaction Score
It was a great birthday for me. Not able to get to a live game since the RE era, decided to just grab 4 tix and guilt my wife and two boys, 17 & 26 into going with me.
Everyone had a great time and said they would do it again.
As an old geezer birthdays aren't usually a big thing but this one was special getting back to the Rent to see UConn get a W.

Reaction Score

He gets it and I'm sure it will be "reinforced" multiple times over this week.

"I learned a valuable lesson," Fatukasi said. "The next game, I just have to support my teammates. It (stinks). You let your team down, you let your teammates down. It is a great lesson learned, it happens in football."

Reaction Score
Happy enough with the win. We knew Nova was no Stony Brook and that this was realistically a tossup game.

We're 1-0. Whatever it takes to build this team's confidence. On to Army.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was terrified going in- Nova is really good, mobile qb, memories from the last few years- but I thought on the whole it was a solid performance. The second quarter was bad, but otherwise they controlled the line on both sides, Shirreffs impressed me (whomever said a more talented Frazer was close...he's a WAY more talented Lorenzen) with his decision making and mobility.

Back four was really great. I think it's going to come down to the LBs. Looked like they made really good halftime adjustments with them, having them stay more at home as opposed to getting beaten on the edge repeatedly. As long as Stewart isn't trying to attack in straight lines, I think he's perfectly suitable. But he gets out of containment and its time to send a search party.

1-0. With a game they absolutely should win coming up. 2-0 rolling into Navy would have everything, finally, rolling in the right direction.

Reaction Score
1-0. With a game they absolutely should win coming up. 2-0 rolling into Navy would have everything, finally, rolling in the right direction.
Correction: 3-0. Mizzou will be quite a challenge.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Much room for improvement, but at least you get a sense of a baseline / foundation for the players and coach to build upon. Some good plays from the RBs and TEs. Saw the defense look strong aside from some lapses on some of Novas drives. Can Arkeel be put into more spots where he can be explosive? Will more WR targets emerge, which would help open the playbook? Will Shirrefs be able to maintain similar efficiency during a long season? I thought at times Nova was able to find soft spots in the coverage, will the defense be able to tighten up against bigger / faster opponents? Important questions, to be sure, but at least they are askable questions at this point, unlike most of last year.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It wouldn't have been. Kick a FG and it's 20-12. No real difference than 20-15 except you need 2 to tie and can't win in regulation.

Turns out that if you don't get a first down on 4th down, you don't get to kikc the field goal.

We would have had the ball

Reaction Score
Hey, we scored 3 touchdowns and had more passing yards than running.

Lots to work on and build on but we won by hanging tough to whole game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Turns out that if you don't get a first down on 4th down, you don't get to kikc the field goal.

We would have had the ball

Whoops had that as third down in my head. Kinda dumb that they didn't take the three and keep the game alive but Villanova made a dozen bizarre decisions.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Whoops had that as third down in my head. Kinda dumb that they didn't take the three and keep the game alive but Villanova made a dozen bizarre decisions.

Maybe that's why you think it was so much closer...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe that's why you think it was so much closer...

Well I'm pretty sure you'd agree it was 20-15 and UConn outgained Villanova by 4 yards. Maybe not though around here.

I guess it's outlandish to consider a 13-9 games in the fourth quarter 'close' when the team trailing by four moves the ball to the 36 yardline with 9 minutes left.

Super-controversial because it
doesn't support UCONN CURBSTOMPED THEM in a game they won by 5 points. No way the game would have been different if they didn't fumble the snap.

Reaction Score
Let's keep in mind we went in to the proverbial Giants prevent defense up 20-9 with 4 minutes to go. With the way our defense was playing, I think it's a different story we kept the pressure on.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Well I'm pretty sure you'd agree it was 20-15 and UConn outgained Villanova by 4 yards. Maybe not though around here.

I guess it's outlandish to consider a 13-9 games in the fourth quarter 'close' when the team trailing by four moves the ball to the 36 yardline with 9 minutes left.

doesn't support UCONN CURBSTOMPED THEM in a game they won by 5 points. No way the game would have been different if they didn't fumble the snap.

Again, your what ifs, require multiple unlikely things to occur after them. ie don't fumble the snap, get the 4th down, drive successfully downfield and get within 5 and then UConn fall into a shell, villanova get the ball back. Again successfully drive down the field (which they hadn't done) and score to win.

We needed Fatukasi not hit a guy and we win.

The UConn what ifs effectively end the game or turn it into a route.

Not equivalent.

Reaction Score

We should have won by more, you point out their snapped fumble but don't point out all our mistakes that would have given us a bigger margin of victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom