It's a win | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's a win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Prevent defense is stupid. How often do teams score and score quickly against it?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We should have won by more, you point out their snapped fumble but don't point out all our mistakes that would have given us a bigger margin of victory.

This is mindboggling. The start of this conversation was accepting that UConn could have won by more with fewer mistakes - but pointing out Villanova has a similar argument that if they didn't make mistakes they could have won.

The level of cognative dissonance required to not admit that is incredible.

If UConn is down 13-9 to Missouri with 9 minutes left and fumbles a snap and loses the game will you say that there is no argument that without that and other mistakes they could have won?

Reaction Score
This is mindboggling. The start of this conversation was accepting that UConn could have won by more with fewer mistakes - but pointing out Villanova has a similar argument that if they didn't make mistakes they could have won.

If UConn is down 13-9 to Missouri with 9 minutes left and fumbles a snap and loses the game will you say that there is no argument that without that and other mistakes they could have won?
You can play that game in any contest that isn't a huge blowout. I don't see why this is so mindboggling to you, we controlled the lines and were the better team. I certainly think there was a much greater chance of us winning by a larger margin than Nova actually winning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can play that game in any contest that isn't a huge blowout. I don't see why this is so mindboggling to you, we controlled the lines and were the better team. I certainly think there was a much greater chance of us winning by a larger margin than Nova actually winning.

I never said there wasn't and for controlling the lines the yardage was dead equal.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I think you miss the part where UConn actually did win the game.

So the argument is that with breaks, UConn could have won bigger. If Nova got breaks, it would have coin flip type game.

I am shocked that this is difficult for you to grasp even after you admitted you were wrong about the actual game situation near the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Again, your what ifs, require multiple unlikely things to occur after them. ie don't fumble the snap, get the 4th down, drive successfully downfield and get within 5 and then UConn fall into a shell, villanova get the ball back. Again successfully drive down the field (which they hadn't done) and score to win.

We needed Fatukasi not hit a guy and we win.

The UConn what ifs effectively end the game or turn it into a route.

Not equivalent.

It was 3rd down. They still would've kicked the FG (although seeing what happened later when they didn't onside kick, who knows?).

The length that some people are going to call this is a curbstomp is pretty amusing.

It's a good win. A win I didn't think we were going to get. I was all in all happy with what I saw. But this was not a drubbing by any means at all.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
It was 3rd down. They still would've kicked the FG (although seeing what happened later when they didn't onside kick, who knows?).

The length that some people are going to call this is a curbstomp is pretty amusing.

It's a good win. A win I didn't think we were going to get. I was all in all happy with what I saw. But this was not a drubbing by any means at all.

No one is saying it was a drubbing... I not sure you get what "what if" means. It means, what if... that not "what happened"

• 1st and Goal at CONN 3
    John Robertson pass incomplete

• 2nd and Goal at CONN 3
    John Robertson sacked by Folorunso Fatukasi for a loss of 3 yards to the UConn 6

• Timeout VILLANOVA, clock 02:31
  • 3rd and Goal at CONN 6
    John Robertson pass incomplete to Taurus Phllips, broken up by Obi Melifonwu
  • 4th and Goal at CONN 6
    CONNECTICUT Penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct (Folorunso Fatukasi) to the UConn 3 for a 1ST down

Reaction Score
No one is saying it was a drubbing... I not sure you get what "what if" means. It means, what if... that not "what happened"

• 1st and Goal at CONN 3
    John Robertson pass incomplete

• 2nd and Goal at CONN 3
    John Robertson sacked by Folorunso Fatukasi for a loss of 3 yards to the UConn 6

• Timeout VILLANOVA, clock 02:31
  • 3rd and Goal at CONN 6
    John Robertson pass incomplete to Taurus Phllips, broken up by Obi Melifonwu
  • 4th and Goal at CONN 6
    CONNECTICUT Penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct (Folorunso Fatukasi) to the UConn 3 for a 1ST down

Hey genius what was the 4th down play? 3rd & goal was the incompletion. Dead ball penalty on Fatukasi was the 4th down play referenced there. You want to go full Palatine here? If so, please tell me what the 4th play was.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Hey genius what was the 4th down play? 3rd & goal was the incompletion. Dead ball penalty on Fatukasi was the 4th down play referenced there. You want to go full Palatine here? If so, please tell me what the 4th play was.

What a moron. I got it wrong... my bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you miss the part where UConn actually did win the game.

So the argument is that with breaks, UConn could have won bigger. If Nova got breaks, it would have coin flip type game.

I am shocked that this is difficult for you to grasp even after you admitted you were wrong about the actual game situation near the end of the game.

I didn't say that it was the same chance - just that hypothetical big wins are silly - because hypothetical losses exist too. They may not be the same percentage chance - I never said they were only that the arguments exist.

Sorry I remember the wrong down - it was a late night and it's a long game with a lot to remember when you are in the stadium. It doesn't really matter anyway because the mistake that killed them happened before that.

Reaction Score
We should have won by more, you point out their snapped fumble but don't point out all our mistakes that would have given us a bigger margin of victory.

The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle. The team performed better than I expected and worst than what Nos expected.

All things said I'm very happy with what I saw.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Sorry I remember the wrong down - it was a late night and it's a long game with a lot to remember when you are in the stadium. It doesn't really matter anyway because the mistake that killed them happened before that.

Actually, you got it right... I got it wrong. My bad.

Reaction Score
Overall, I do think that our mistakes more directly impacted the score than theirs. The cluster#$& at the end of the half took 7 off the board (that play is a TD if he catches it), the bad snap on the XP is another 1, and Levy's hold is another 2. Treat Foley's bonehead move however you want. Nova missed an easy FG and there was the fumbled snap along with the puzzling decision to kick deep. I watched the fumbled snap and it's not like we had nothing to do with it. Their center was blown back at the snap -- his rear end literally knocked the ball out of Robertson's hand.

I think it's pretty accurate to say that we were a few mistakes away from a pretty convincing win.

There is plenty to be concerned about. The offensive execution was good but Nova appeared very weak defensively to me. I worry about our ability to move the ball on even average FBS defenses. Two bad snaps on extra points are troubling. We continue to struggle with mobile QB's. We gave up a big return on their last drive because guys didn't fill their lanes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, you got it right... I got it wrong. My bad.

I'm not even sure anymore. I think everyone but Perfect Hair is on the same page though. Yesterday was encouraging. I don't think Villanova played as well as they will but it's a good win - I don't care what the FCS deniers say.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure anymore. I think everyone but Perfect Hair is on the same page though. Yesterday was encouraging. I don't think Villanova played as well as they will but it's a good win - I don't care what the FCS deniers say.

Let me ask you this... did you ever really doubt we would win after the first drive?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this... did you ever really doubt we would win after the first drive?

I never had the feeling they were going to lose but at 13-9 with 9 minutes it certainly could have happened.

Reaction Score

Yes, in the second quarter after they had two very long drives, one resulting in the missed field goal and one in a touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom