It's a win | The Boneyard

It's a win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Avoid Berlin turnpike near Hoffmans. DUI checkpoint. Spread the word.

Reaction Score
Certainly some ugly stuff that we have to clean up but not getting into that after a win. Saw some definite positives in the second half. Shirrefs is a gamer, he can run, is strong and made some pretty good decisions for his first game in a couple of years. We need to get the ball to Newsome in space as much as possible, he has a lot of Noel Devine in him, Johnson runs hard and finished off a couple runs nicely. The biggest takeaway is that after Shirreffs debut I feel better with our QB situation then I have in a long time. Oh yeah we also have the most handsome coach in the country.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wins are wins. Team was going to be 1-0 or 0-1 after tonight.

Liked Shirreffs running down hill, Johnson's toughness, Newsome in space, DLinr push.

Didn't like 2nd qtr, Linebacker angles or PF penalties.

Reaction Score
We were 2-10 lasr year. Any win is beautiful....even when it is ugly. I like what i saw at QB. He will make some big goofs, but as the game slows down for him he may be special.

Reaction Score
Offensive line - save the possession where they disintegrated with the safety - really stepped up tonight.

Offense looked like they made if not a 180, close to, improvement from last year.

Most telling moment of the game for the offense in my opinion was when they were leading 13-9 with 8:40 to go and got the ball back. Last year that would have been three runs and a punt and we would of lost. BS came out throwing, hit Thomas with some big gains and we ended up punching it into the end zone for what became the winner. Absolutely awesome play calling.

I don't care if it was over an FCS school. Nova is damn good and were favored by basically every oddsmaker.

1-0.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'll take it.

Quick thoughts...
  • We look bigger than in the past, but we seem slower - particularly at the LB position...but maybe I'm crazy.
  • Diaco blew it at the end of the second qtr - should have called a timeout before interception play
  • Carreloza looks great / Corners seem to have speed
  • Great to see Newsome get a TD. I don't think he'll ever be a between the tackles runner - maybe they should look to make him a scat back type weapon.
  • Happy to see Verducci finally give up the run late in the game. Glad to see we didn't play two QBs today.
  • Sherriffs seems serviceable. No big mistakes. Better pocket sense than others. By late the second half he started to look real comfortable and in command. I hope that translates into the next game.
  • Noel Thomas looks like a weapon - he needs the ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
That personal foul against Johnson was a horrendous call. Didn't see a replay of the ejection though.

Yeah, how often do you see a defensive player doing the exact same "eat it up" or whatever motion after a tfl... It would be one thing if he was looking at a nova player when he did it, but it sure didn't look like that to me

Reaction Score
I'll take it.

Quick thoughts...
  • We look bigger than in the past, but we seem slower - particularly at the LB position...but maybe I'm crazy.
  • Diaco blew it at the end of the second qtr - should have called a timeout before interception play
  • Carreloza looks great / Corners seem to have speed
  • Great to see Newsome get a TD. I don't think he'll ever be a between the tackles runner - maybe they should look to make him a scat back type weapon.
  • Happy to see Verducci finally give up the run late in the game. Glad to see we didn't play QBs today.
  • Sherriffs seems serviceable. No big mistakes. Better pocket sense than others. By late the second half he started to look real comfortable and in commend. I hope that translates into the next game.
  • Noel Thomas looks like a weapon - he needs the ball.

Totally agree with No. 2. I think Diaco had a couple of suspect moments like that play call at the end of the first. He was rusty too.

Reaction Score
Passing game looked very good at times. Pass blocking, save for a couple plays, looked good.

Run game looked like it became predictable after a couple series. Probably need to mix it up a bit. I hate the audible play they ran in the 1st half. Took forever to develop.

Defense had moments, and the QB for nova was obviously very good. No big pass plays given up though.

Happy we won. Happy we have Sherriffs

Reaction Score
I'll take it.

Quick thoughts...
agree with everything. I think the explanation for why the team looked slow is that the quarter back and RB have a lot of speed and the defense was frozen because it was very difficult form the field level to tell if it was a running play or throwing play due to the versatility and experience of the QB

Reaction Score
Not just a "win is a win". This is a good win that some of our competitors will discount, to their detriment.

Our ability to make plays out of "broken" plays is something we have not seen in some time. We can only get better with a new QB.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
agree with everything. I think the explanation for why the team looked slow is that the quarter back and RB have a lot of speed and the defense was frozen because it was very difficult form the field level to tell if it was a running play or throwing play due to the versatility and experience of the QB

Yeah perhaps. The schedule is brutal in that we face two more option teams in Army and Navy and BYU with its running QB.

Reaction Score
I was just listening to the post game show on my way home. Bob Joyce mentioned how this was our first win on opening night in 3 years...think about that. I agree there is a lot of room for improvement but i think its obvious things will be a lot better than last year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
we have gamer TEs and it took til second half but yes, Shirreffs can run. More of that and we may have ourselves an offense

Reaction Score
I had no problem with not calling TO with 30 secs left. He had 1 left and wanted it for 4th down. Besides, if tommy holds on we are fine. Besides, calling a TO helps D reset. I heard a lot of complaining after turnover, but it's easy to 2d guess there.

It's clearky still a work in process, but I liked far more than I didn't like. You can see we are headed back. How quickly we will see, but I feel better about this year and the future looks bright. Gonna love watching Luke, Foley, Cole, Diggs, BS, Johnson and Arkeel for 3 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom