It will be hard to keep this team from scoring 100 points | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It will be hard to keep this team from scoring 100 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
"How did you happen to settle on this magical mythical number of 100 points in the first place?" Have you even read the OP...I listed the minutes and per game averages of the individual players and the sum total of which was the average points per game. These minutes are based on last years PT from our returning players and the projected value of the 4 incoming players. If the players were to play the minutes projected and Geno did not put the brakes on or if he didn't play the reserves for extended minutes the fire power alone would drive UConn up over 100 points (the average in the OP was 104) for most games with the exception of maybe only 2 or 3 games that would be competitive, ie., South Carolina, Notre Dame and Maryland. The use of bold was to distinguish the quotes from the OP and the interpretation. If it does nothing to help you...I suggest you taking a little more time to actually read what is written because quite frankly it couldn't be any clearer as to the intent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well UConn has completed the fifth three-peat in WCBB championship history, and the Huskies managed below 90 PPG in each of the last three championship seasons. We just don't play our most prolific scoring kids in these beat downs. If only The end of our bench could jack up and hit treys at an excellent rate.
Yes - but this will be the first year in the past three with more than 9 scholarship players available to play - in the last two years Geno had to play at least one walk-on if he wanted to give all five starters a rest. TL and BP are great teammates, but definitely fall into the 'scoring challenged' category. (And the first year of the three-peat had a 'back of rotation' quartet of scholarship players that all struggled to meet the 1 point per 4 minutes played level in Buck, Stokes, Doty, and Jefferson on a team of only 11 scholarship players.

Who knows what we will get from Boykin, Butler, Chong, Collier, Ekmark, Samuelson, and Williams, but six of those seven will be on the bench to start games and I suspect they will be better scorers and more efficient as a group, than any group of five bench players in the last three years.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Yes - but this will be the first year in the past three with more than 9 scholarship players available to play - in the last two years Geno had to play at least one walk-on if he wanted to give all five starters a rest. TL and BP are great teammates, but definitely fall into the 'scoring challenged' category. (And the first year of the three-peat had a 'back of rotation' quartet of scholarship players that all struggled to meet the 1 point per 4 minutes played level in Buck, Stokes, Doty, and Jefferson on a team of only 11 scholarship players.

Who knows what we will get from Boykin, Butler, Chong, Collier, Ekmark, Samuelson, and Williams, but six of those seven will be on the bench to start games and I suspect they will be better scorers and more efficient as a group, than any group of five bench players in the last three years.

Exactly, UcMiami...exactly!!! This is why I think that this season especially given that in my opinion only South Carolina, Notre Dame and Maryland will actually be a challenge for UConn that UConn will challenge their 1998 - 1999 record of 91.2 points per game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"How did you happen to settle on this magical mythical number of 100 points in the first place?" Have you even read the OP. (the average in the OP was 104)
If it does nothing to help you...I suggest you taking a little more time to actually read what is written because quite frankly it couldn't be any clearer as to the intent.
I read your original close enough to know that the average was 104.8 not this 104 you are trying to revise it to. See Calpedaler's very humorous post about scoring that last .8 of a point. Ok, bold was to point out the original post, please refrain from using red since this is more aggravating.
Your original post= 158 Words.
Your followup post explaining the original =1622 Words. I'm still wading through this to discern your intent.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Pulleeese Coco...I was reserving judgement regarding YOUR intent but based on your last one your intent seems to be to troll. I mean you are going to call me out on my rounding off the average of the OP by .8 of a point... I have no need to revise my original post as 104 or 104.8 both make the point that the reasonable average point total of this version of the Huskies could and I emphasize COULD (hope capital letters don't aggravate you) go over 100 if Geno leaves them to play and doesn't take his foot off the gas or play the reserves extended minutes. The color option for text is there for a reason...Color helps poster to make a post more readable. I have read text in Red hundreds of times and I have never found the color to be aggravating. I see no rules on the Boneyard that limit the use of color for text. Maybe a chill pill is in order. My verbosity demonstrated in my follow-up post was to discuss the rationale behind the individual minutes per game and points per game that I assigned to each player. Such a post dictates many more words as I was discussing specifics instead of generalities. I do, however, appreciate your taking the time to read my 1600 word post to determine my intent...at least I didn't waste my time. By the way...I've decided to archive my OP as I think it will be interesting to pull it back out at the end of the season. Hope you are still here so we can discuss it with intention in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Pulleeese Coco...I was reserving judgement regarding YOUR intent but based on your last one your intent seems to be to troll. I mean you are going to call me out on my rounding off the average of the OP by .8 of a point... I have no need to revise my original post as 104 or 104.8 both make the point that the reasonable average point total of this version of the Huskies could and I emphasize COULD (hope capital letters don't aggravate you) go over 100 if Geno leaves them to play and doesn't take his foot off the gas or play the reserves extended minutes. The color option for text is there for a reason...Color helps poster to make a post more readable. I have read text in Red hundreds of times and I have never found the color to be aggravating. I see no rules on the Boneyard that limit the use of color for text. Maybe a chill pill is in order. My verbosity demonstrated in my follow-up post was to discuss the rationale behind the individual minutes per game and points per game that I assigned to each player. Such a post dictates many more words as I was discussing specifics instead of generalities. I do, however, appreciate your taking the time to read my 1600 word post to determine my intent...at least I didn't waste my time. By the way...I've decided to archive my OP as I think it will be interesting to pull it back out at the end of the season. Hope you are still here so we can discuss it with intention in the rear view mirror.
Rounding 104.8 would result in 105- I'm just saying. Archiving till the end of the season is a good idea. That will give me enough time to make it through all 1622 words- or were you rounding there also? :D

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UcMiami said:
Yes - but this will be the first year in the past three with more than 9 scholarship players available to play - in the last two years Geno had to play at least one walk-on if he wanted to give all five starters a rest. TL and BP are great teammates, but definitely fall into the 'scoring challenged' category. (And the first year of the three-peat had a 'back of rotation' quartet of scholarship players that all struggled to meet the 1 point per 4 minutes played level in Buck, Stokes, Doty, and Jefferson on a team of only 11 scholarship players. Who knows what we will get from Boykin, Butler, Chong, Collier, Ekmark, Samuelson, and Williams, but six of those seven will be on the bench to start games and I suspect they will be better scorers and more efficient as a group, than any group of five bench players in the last three years.
The question will be whether Geno wants to see "real" UConn basketball for 40 minutes, even with a deep roster. If he can barely stand to watch anything less, you will see anyone benched for taking a possession off. And then you probably will see scores regularly north of 100.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sorry, but that was EXACTLY my thinking. When you go up against Kia, you're gonna need a Nurse. As her big bad NHL brother said, roughly paraphrasing his story: They were playing basketball together and he gave her a hard shoulder. She responded immediately with an even harder elbow. At which point he shrugged and realized getting physical with her was a no-win proposition.

Just goes to show that she's a badass.

And BTW, so is Serena Williams.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
And, here I thought it was you who first took the time to count 1622 words...so, I guess if there was any rounding it would have been on your account to save you the time for counting each word. Who does that anyway??? :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The question will be whether Geno wants to see "real" UConn basketball for 40 minutes, even with a deep roster. If he can barely stand to watch anything less, you will see anyone benched for taking a possession off. And then you probably will see scores regularly north of 100.
He is in my opinion going to want to train his new four (freshmen and Butler) during their time on the floor so while he may call off trapping defense and slow down the fast break, he will want the players to maintain focus, and play sound basketball - given the quality of the six bench scholarship players, I can't see the score being 75 at the end of the third quarter and 84 at the end of the fourth which was what happened fairly regularly last year, and in past years.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony if that was the intent CFerr's post then I completely missed it. I cannot think of a UCONN team in the past decade and a half that was not capable of scoring 100 points depending on the opponent. There is no celebration, moment of joy, or even buffalo wings when a UCONN WCBB team scores 100 points-so what would be the point? I though the intent of the post was to point out that this team maybe one of most prolific scoring teams in UCONN history.
Good Point and I agree. This team has the potential and the players to be a very high s.coring offense and with their balance it will be very hard to keep them from scoring

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart - 25 minutes; 19 points
Moriah Jefferson - 26 minutes; 14 points
Morgan Tuck - 23 minutes; 14 points
Kia Nurse - 25 minutes; 12 points
Saniya Chong - 17 minutes; 7 points
Gabby Williams - 15 minutes; 10 points
Katie Lou Samuelson - 15 minutes; 8 points
Napheesa Collier - 15 minutes; 7 points
Natalie Butler - 12 minutes; 6 points
Courtney Ekmark - 12 minutes; 3 points
De'Janae Boykins - 10 minutes; 4 points
Brianna Pulido - 2 1/2 minutes; .3 points
Tierney Lawlor - 2 1/2 minutes; .5 points

totals: 200 minutes; 104.8 points... I just don't know how there is enough basketballs to go around with this team. We all know from experience that no team is going to average 100 points. But unless Geno deliberately puts the brakes on, plays the reserves a lot of minutes I just don't see how this high octane group of competitors doesn't score 100 points.
Imagine the pace of the conversation here if a UConn jersey had actually been seen on the court and in a practice or a game. There should be no question that barring injury or transfer this roster may well be the deepest in many years. From a practical perspective most feel that the four returning starters will all keep their spot. They should, best guess, play near the same minutes (about 100). So now all us talent wizards get to do our best impression of GA, CD, and any other staff who get input into the decision about who will or not get the starting nod and how many minutes she will get and how will the leftover minutes be used. So we got some what, 11 weeks, before we find out for sure. Williams, Chong, and Ekmark based on past performance are not likely starters. Butler having spent a full year in pratice with CD and Geno would seem to have a huge head start over some very good prospective freshman.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think based on last year's performance that Williams has just as good a chance to be a starter as anyone else not Moriah, Breanna, Morgan or Kia. :)

Reaction Score
Imagine the pace of the conversation here if a UConn jersey had actually been seen on the court and in a practice or a game. There should be no question that barring injury or transfer this roster may well be the deepest in many years. From a practical perspective most feel that the four returning starters will all keep their spot. They should, best guess, play near the same minutes (about 100). So now all us talent wizards get to do our best impression of GA, CD, and any other staff who get input into the decision about who will or not get the starting nod and how many minutes she will get and how will the leftover minutes be used. So we got some what, 11 weeks, before we find out for sure. Williams, Chong, and Ekmark based on past performance are not likely starters. Butler having spent a full year in pratice with CD and Geno would seem to have a huge head start over some very good prospective freshman.
Not to mention one of the freshman hasn't played in months.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The best shot blocker in the nation, Kiah Stokes, never averaged more than 18.5 in any season at UConn. Breanna Stewart, the best player in the nation, averaged 28 last season. I'll put the over/under on Butler's minutes at 18, and probably take the under.

Who knows what Geno is going to do? This is September 7, at this point, I'll bet even HE has no idea what he's going to do yet. This is my thinking on why Natalie will play about 25 (or there-a-bouts) mpg.

WCBB will begin playing 10 minutes quarters this season. All of my numbers are assuming Natalie is a starter. If she's NOT a starter, then throw these numbers out with the bath water.

1sr qtr - I'm guessing she'll play at least 7 minutes.
2nd qtr - at least 7 minutes. (that's 14 minutes in the first half)

Second half - at least 11 minutes. Some (not all) games will be won by the end of the 3rd quarter. There may be some games that she does not take the floor in the forth quarter. At this point, we don't know who her "designated" back-up will be. There will be games that Geno does not want to run up the score, plus he'll want to give the bench players some floor time to see how they are progressing.
That's why I'm suggesting a least 11 minutes in the 2nd half. 7 + 7 +11 = 25. This is how I arrived at 25 mpg.

I'm also assuming the following:

1. Geno will want his starters to jell, and jell asap. This can only happen by them playing together at least 60% of all games before the tournaments begin, including the blowouts.
The games vs Notre Dame and South Carolina will require the starters play about 36-38 minutes each as they did last year. If you doubt me, review the game film for these two games. Notice the time left when Geno began to pull his starters.
2. She avoids early game (1-2 qtr) foul trouble.
3. She does not suffer any temporary or long term injury.

This prognostication might be spot on, or I just may be pontificating out of my anal orifice. We'll see. ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The games vs Notre Dame and South Carolina will require the starters play about 36-38 minutes each as they did last year. If you doubt me, review the game film for these two games. Notice the time left when Geno began to pull his starters.

This prognostication might be spot on, or I just may be pontificating out of my anal orifice. We'll see. ;)

No, it's a good explanation for your theory. I just start with the notion that the other four starters are going to play about 100-105 minutes on average. If Butler gets 25+ per game then the other six players have roughly 70 minutes to share between them and I don't believe that works. To get that many minutes Butler is going to have to prove that she's of a very high caliber and do it as a sophomore.

I'm not sure about the ND and SC games either. The rosters from the past two years are different. Williams and Nurse likely won't be held back minutes wise in those games this year. And Collier and Samuelson are too good to sit as well. Last season Geno tightened his rotation to 5-1/2 the few times he felt it was necessary. This season I think that number will go up to 7-8 in big games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Carnac - just one correction on your post - in none of the SC, NDx2, and MD (FF) games did all five starters play 30+ minutes - Kia was under 30 minutes in all of them and Moriah was at 21 minutes in the first ND game (her worst of the year?)

With the strength of the bench this year I could easily see starters averaging 7 minutes in Q1, but I think by Q2 in most games their average may drop to the 5-6 minute range, remain there for Q3, and drop to 3 or so minutes in the Q4.
With Butler - when she sits, first option is probably Morgan moving to the post and Boykin/Collier/Williams coming in to play the 4/3 to Stewarts 3/4 - I suspect if Butler is as good as we believe she will be more in the 20-23 minute range - with Uconn going small and adding Lou as an 3 point threat almost half the time.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Boykin will be slotted in to back up Butler. Given what I have read about her USA experience last year, she seems like she could fill that role. Then slot Gabby in for Tuck since both finish nicely around the basket, Collier for Stewie, and then LouConn and Courtney battle for the 2 guard spot paired with Saniya. Thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if Boykin will be slotted in to back up Butler. Given what I have read about her USA experience last year, she seems like she could fill that role. Then slot Gabby in for Tuck since both finish nicely around the basket, Collier for Stewie, and then LouConn and Courtney battle for the 2 guard spot paired with Saniya. Thoughts?
Not to revist the prior thread (about the starters) but IMO Boykin is not well equipped to backup the the 5 position and I believe Gabby's days in the post might be over.
I see Butler as 1st sub coming in for both Stewie and Tuck and I see Collier & Gabby being a sub for the 2 & 3 backing up KLS and Kia. Saniya will continue to back up MoJeff at the PG. That would leave Boykin and Courtney fighting to get minutes at (3 & 4-Boykin) & (2 & 3-Courtney). I believe enough minutes are available sans maybe 4 games and the FF this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think we'll average over 100, but it COULD be the highest scoring team in UConn history. Why? Because we are very talented, and because the AAC conference is weak.

Why won't we average close to 100? We'll have some off-nights, and some teams will defend us well or slow the game down. But a major reason is Geno. If the score is 55-15 at the half, he won't run up the score. He will call off the fast break and will tell the team to run the half court AND work the clock for the last 10-15 minutes of the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Put me down for butler averaging a lot more than 12 minutes. I don't know how Geno is going to rotate his girls, but I can't see Butler averaging less than 25 minutes a game. Already having a full season behind her, and full season of practice under Geno, gives her a leg up on the freshmen. Butler has already gone through that period of adjustment.
I'll definitely take the under on that one. What are we betting?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart - 25 minutes; 19 points
Moriah Jefferson - 26 minutes; 14 points
Morgan Tuck - 23 minutes; 14 points
Kia Nurse - 25 minutes; 12 points
Saniya Chong - 17 minutes; 7 points
Gabby Williams - 15 minutes; 10 points
Katie Lou Samuelson - 15 minutes; 8 points
Napheesa Collier - 15 minutes; 7 points
Natalie Butler - 12 minutes; 6 points
Courtney Ekmark - 12 minutes; 3 points
De'Janae Boykins - 10 minutes; 4 points
Brianna Pulido - 2 1/2 minutes; .3 points
Tierney Lawlor - 2 1/2 minutes; .5 points

totals: 200 minutes; 104.8 points... I just don't know how there is enough basketballs to go around with this team. We all know from experience that no team is going to average 100 points. But unless Geno deliberately puts the brakes on, plays the reserves a lot of minutes I just don't see how this high octane group of competitors doesn't score 100 points.
Well we know he will, so all those numbers are pretty useless.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not to revist the prior thread (about the starters) but IMO Boykin is not well equipped to backup the the 5 position and I believe Gabby's days in the post might be over.
I agree. The only position I see Boykin getting any significant time at is the four. There are two many players ahead of her at the three. Maybe she can eventually be a generic forward, a 3-4, as you suggest.

I think it's important that she get some experience defending the four. After Butler, Stewie, and Tuck, this team doesn't have much in the way of bigs. Maybe it would be good for KLS to get some experience defending the four, as well. As you say, I don't think Geno will want GW in the post unless an emergency arises.

Reaction Score
He is in my opinion going to want to train his new four (freshmen and Butler) during their time on the floor so while he may call off trapping defense and slow down the fast break, he will want the players to maintain focus, and play sound basketball - given the quality of the six bench scholarship players, I can't see the score being 75 at the end of the third quarter and 84 at the end of the fourth which was what happened fairly regularly last year, and in past years.

I Think that's exactly to the point. Geno has always demanded that. Though mostly with the younger, less experienced players, coach has shown absolutely no hesitation and no patience in making his dissatisfaction known by giving players a really quick hook when they: commit a dumb foul (any foul ;)), play lazy passive defense, take terrible shots and miss layups, and on and on. Geno's tactics apply to all his players, from Stewie and Moriah on down. The only exceptions he appears willing to make (to his credit) are with TL and BP, and only at game's end.

His players are well aware of these expectations, and since they all want maximum playing time, they learn to avoid making the same mistakes twice. Or they sit and watch from the bench. I remember many times Stewie, Moriah and Morgan were yanked from games their freshman year. They were not playing "sound UConn basketball" Geno-style. And they corrected their mistakes quickly. Coach's message was sent and received. That quick hook and bench time was an excellent motivator to kids fighting for playing time on the nation's #1 team. Though the perfection Geno demands of his players can rarely, if ever, be achieved, it does produce a TEAM that comes mighty close.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Just goes to show that she's a badass.

And BTW, so is Serena Williams.

No slack for siblings of Kia or Serena. Definitely BA qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom