It will be hard to keep this team from scoring 100 points | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It will be hard to keep this team from scoring 100 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Okay...so, there have been many responses to my hypothetical scenario...of minutes played and points scored as I thought there would be. Keep in mind I said that it would be hard to keep this team from scoring 100 points. My reasons for this are many and multi-faceted. 1. The minutes assigned to the big four are almost identical to last years...with an average difference of about 3 minutes. 2. The big four have played together now and won championships...their chemistry will be better than ever. 4. I do not think Butler gets to many more minutes than 12 minutes...why? Because the minutes will have to come from someone else and there are a number of dynamics involved when deciding from whom to take minutes. 5. Starting with Gabby...she proved herself last year and she played 15.6 minutes per game. Taking minutes away from a player like Gabby who more than likely has improved since her freshman year doesn't seem plausible. 6. Now let's look at Saniya...Saniya last year during the first part of the year had earned Geno's praises as he said that at times she was the best player on the floor. Saniya will be expected to play significant minutes at the point guard in her senior year as freshman Dangerfield adjusts to the college game. She played 19.0 minutes last year so, cutting her minutes to 17 minutes in my scenario is not really preferred but expecting additional cuts to Saniya's PT is unrealistic. 7. Courtney Ekmark missed much of the early season last year and spent the rest of the season trying to catch up with the play of her fellow freshmen...Gabby and Kia. Ekmark came to UConn with a considerable amount of hype regarding her lights out 3 point shooting which makes me think that Geno is going to want to give her time to get her shot going. She played 9 + minutes last year, so, assuming that Ekmark will both improve and not have to overcome a slow start as she did last year giving her 12 minutes per game seems to be the fair thing to do. 8. The walk-ons averaged 3.9 (Lawlor) and 2.5 (Pulido). Let's remember why the walk-ons were encouraged to join the team...remember Geno's bench was very short due to injuries and transfers. While I like them a lot...Tierney a little better as she earned a 2nd degree blackbelt in my karate school I do not see them cracking any more minutes this season in fact I see their minutes being cut ever so slightly in order to make room for this very talented group of freshmen + Natalie Butler. So, no more minutes to Butler from the walk-ons. 9. Now we get to the first of our freshmen...De'Janae Boykins will probably get the least minutes of the group...at 10 minutes...anything less is going to invite a transfer in the off season. De'Janae will need at least 10 minutes in order to develop into a contributing player going forward. Don't forget she is a talented 6'2" to 6'3" player who is extremely athletic and can rebound and score. 10. Katie Lou Samuelson will be extremely difficult to keep off the floor. Her size, her ability to shoot the basketball with limitless range and with her quick release will earn her minutes and quite frankly giving her only 15 minutes seems to be counter-productive...so, Natalie will not get any of Katie Lou's minutes... 12. That leaves Napheesa Collier...this is my opinion and some here may not agree with me...however, I believe that of all the freshmen Naphessa is the best suited right now for the college game. Napheesa is a work-horse...she never takes a play off, her hustle, her ability to score from inside and outside makes her extremely versatile. I think Geno is going to fall in love with her and it is going to be even more difficult to keep Naphessa off the court. Giving her only 15 minutes is going to be next to impossible. So, unfortunately for Natalie, I don't see her getting any of Napheesa's minutes.

Now, lets talk about scoring... 1. Last year Breanna averaged 17.6 points in about 28 minutes per game. Cutting her minutes to 25 minutes...will not cut into her average at all....in fact, Diana Taurasi's comment is still ringing in my ears...where she admonished the women's college basketball world when she said, "if you want to beat Uconn for the championship it better be this year, because Stewie isn't losing the championship her senior year". So, expecting Breanna to raise her average from 1.4 points per game despite a cut of 3 minutes per game isn't unrealistic. 2. Next we have Morgan Tuck who had a slow start, at the beginning of the season. She still managed to average 14.4 points in 25 minutes of play. Given Morgan's consistent play and her effectiveness with the basketball it was very difficult to cut 2 minutes of playing time in order to give it to the freshmen and Natalie Butler. I do not think that expecting Morgan to only duplicate her scoring average with 2 minutes less playing time is unrealistic. 3. Next we have Moriah Jefferson...who could forget how Moriah struggled with her three point shot in the beginning of the season only to be offset with her off the charts 3 point shooting later in the season. Moriah is probably the most important player to have on the floor, so you can imagine how difficult it was to cut 2.5 minutes per game from Moriah. Regardless of these facts expecting Moriah to increase her average 1.6 points with 2.5 fewer minutes is not at all unrealistic. 4. Rounding out the "big 4" is Kia Nurse. Who on this board doesn't expect Kia to be an improved version of herself...especially after watching her put the Canadian team on her shoulders and scoring over 30 points on route to defeating a USA team led by Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson. So, who would think it unrealistic that Kia would improve her average by 2 points while playing the same minutes? 5. Gabby Williams was a scoring machine hitting 63.7 % of her shots in route to aveaging 8.3 points in 15.6 minutes making her one of the most effective UConn players. I could easily make the case that Gabby should be getting more minutes instead of 40 seconds less per game and only placing an expectation of increasing her scoring average by 1.7 points in 40 seconds less PT given the expected improvement of this player is extremely plausible. 6. Saniya Chong was a scoring machine in high school...she had shown at times that she can be that player in college. What she hasn't been is consistent. She played 19 minutes last season and averaged 5.6 points per game. There were times that she did not even look for her shot. Even though she will be expected to play significant minutes at the PG during her senior year...it hurt to have to cut 2 minutes from her PT. But, even by doing so...I have to believe that if it isn't this year it isn't going to be for Saniya. I think she will break out this season and expecting an increase of 1.4 points per game to her average is in line with her expected emergence as the heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson. 7. Courtney Ekmark had a very slow start to the season and her confidence took a hit as she struggled find a rhythm as she was inserted herself into the rotation. I believe that expecting Courtney to average 1.1 more points per game with 2.3 more minutes per game. 8. Now we get to the walk-ons...and, I have basically only cut their minutes by 1.4 collectively and have left their point production basically the same. 9. Finally, we get to the 4 new players who have to be integrated into the line-up. I have already made the case for the minutes above....now, with regards to points scored. A. Remember Natalie Butler averaged a double / double for Georgetown while playing in the new Big East Conference....so, expecting her to score 6 points with reduced minutes is not unrealistic. B. De'Janae Boykins averaged the following in high school: 21.1 ppg., 15.8 rpg., 7.1 apg., 3.2 spg. She averaged 8.4 points and 7.6 rebounds, won a gold medal while playing USA basketball. As the 23 pick over all, I don't think expecting 4 points per game out of De'Janae is asking too much. C. Katie Lou Samuelson scored 29.2 points per game while grabbing 8.6 rebounds per game. As the number one pick for her class...I ask you is asking Katie Lou to average 8 points per game too much??? You might say with limited minutes like 15 minutes per game her production will be down well, my answer to that is how many minutes per game do you think she averaged in high school. D. Last but not at all least is my pick for the gem of the class...Naphessa Collier...averaged 26.2 points per game and 13 rebounds per game....so, expecting Ms. Collier to average 7 point per game in 15 minutes of play is well within the realm of possibility. THUS: I stand behind my original post that it will be very hard to prevent UConn from scoring 100 points. I also stipulated that the only way to stop UConn from scoring 100 points is for Geno to take his foot off the gas or to give the reserves a lot of minutes. But, taking minutes away from the veterans is going to be difficult. And, you can't expect the players to come down the court and not try to score.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Here are the scoring totals from last season to help with the discussion:

Scored 100 pts or more = 4 times
Scored 95-99 pts = 6 times
Scored 90-94 pts = 8 times
Scored less than 90 pts = 21 times

Season average = 89.3 pts per game
. ;)

Go Huskies..!!

P.S.- In 2013 UConn scored 100 three times and in 2012 it was five times. Three year average is 4 times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno did not sing Saniya's praises in the first part of the season. He put Nurse in as the starting 2 guard during the Stanford game, game 2. He praised her during the preseason. When asked what happened to her, he said we started playing games. When posters try to make her something she wasn't or isn't, it causes others to be more objective and then get criticized for disparaging a Husky. Not our intent.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Mr. Bgillon by mistakenly saying Geno praised her early in the season instead of specifying the pre-season...surely doesn't make her something she isn't. What she is...is an excellent basketball player who has yet to play to her potential. I think your focus on my short comments regarding Saniya at the expense of the general content of the entire post is somewhat myopic.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would say in support of the OP that it has been a very long time since Geno has had a very good second 5 players on his roster. In the last several years, not only does he stop fast break/transition offense early in the second half of blow-outs but he has been playing scoring challenged players for 15 minutes. When Stewart and Jefferson and Morgan sit this year, he will be replacing them with Lou and Collier and Boykin - it may not be as smooth, but they will be much more likely to score, and he will be much more likely to want them to play 'Uconn' basketball rather than slow motion basketball.
100 ppg - not likely, but challenging the Uconn record of 1998-9 of 91.2 is a very real possibility.

And FYI - on Chong ... see Conlon, M. for someone who emerged as a successful PG later in her Uconn career - lots of players blossom Junior year.

Reaction Score
Mr. Bgillon by mistakenly saying Geno praised her early in the season instead of specifying the pre-season...surely doesn't make her something she isn't. What she is...is an excellent basketball player who has yet to play to her potential. I think your focus on my short comments regarding Saniya at the expense of the general content of the entire post is somewhat myopic.
How do we know what her potential is? What if what you see is what you get? More often than not that is the case.

Reaction Score
cferr - your comment that Geno praised Saniya early in the season is misleading and that is why I responded. He praised her play prior to the regular season games, i.e. practice. Unfortunately her performance did not carry into the season and he inserted Nurse in her place. That said, if she blossoms this year and next, UCONN will be even stronger.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Thank you Bgillon...appreciate the clarification...and you are right I understand how my saying the praise happened early in the season could be misleading... I guess I could parse the words and say that the pre-season is early in the season but that would only add to the mischaraterization. In any case I believe that we have not seen the best that Ms. Chong has to offer. But, to get back to the point of the thread... Geno is going to have a hard time divvying the minutes between 10 quality players and 2 walk-ons. Additionally, with players 1-10 being capable of scoring it is going to be hard to take the foot off the gas without deliberately trying not to score... As I said in the original post no team would ever average 100 points per game...but it is going to be hard stopping UConn from doing it...if it happens more times than not it is going to be UConn stopping themselves. I do agree with the poster who said that the 1998-1999 record of 91.5 points / game is in play this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Urban legend had it that only Dean Smith could keep Jordan from averaging 30 Points/ Game in college. Geno will make sure that this team never get near this number. Geno has too much respect for the game to allow this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ditto on Butler's minutes. For some reason, a few BYers have trouble believing Butler will play significant minutes versus freshmen who have not played a single minute of college ball nor have adjusted to Geno's methods and demands, especially for defensive play. If their opinion is correct though, given Butler was the Big East FPOY, this team has the chance to be better than even the wild eyed optimists on this board have claimed!
Put me down for butler averaging a lot more than 12 minutes. I don't know how Geno is going to rotate his girls, but I can't see Butler averaging less than 25 minutes a game. Already having a full season behind her, and full season of practice under Geno, gives her a leg up on the freshmen. Butler has already gone through that period of adjustment.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't know how Geno is going to rotate his girls, but I can't see Butler averaging less than 25 minutes a game.

The best shot blocker in the nation, Kiah Stokes, never averaged more than 18.5 in any season at UConn. Breanna Stewart, the best player in the nation, averaged 28 last season. I'll put the over/under on Butler's minutes at 18, and probably take the under.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree with Bonpland. The past 3 years have been very successful seasons, all ending with a NC, but UConn never came close to 10 games where they scored over 100 points in a season:

2012-13: 5 games
2013-14: 3 games
2014-15: 4 games

Geno pulls his foot off the gas so as to not humiliate the opponent (by calling off the running game, running the shot clock down in the half court, etc.), so those point totals are rare, despite the talent disparity between the teams. If I were Vegas posting a over/under, I would say 5 games. I would not venture higher.
also the "deep on the bench players cant score a lick (ugly ball, even Geno cringe at times... also I dont think the "walk-ons" will score that many points (or avg that many)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The best shot blocker in the nation, Kiah Stokes, never averaged more than 18.5 in any season at UConn. Breanna Stewart, the best player in the nation, averaged 28 last season. I'll put the over/under on Butler's minutes at 18, and probably take the under.
Stokes couldn't score, she was taking up space... without her block UConn still would have won games. I'll give her more credit for her rebounds. Who was Stokes high number of block games against last season? At times she didn't deserve to get no more that the 18.5 minutes

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stokes couldn't score, she was taking up space... without her block UConn still would have won games. I'll give her more credit for her rebounds. Who was Stokes high number of block games against last season? At times she didn't deserve to get no more that the 18.5 minutes

We don't really know what kind of offensive player Butler is yet either. You think Stokes only gets 18 minutes per game at Georgetown? Not likely.

Stewart, Tuck, Williams, Nurse, Collier, KLS, Jefferson, Chong....Scoring isn't going to be an issue just as it wasn't with Stokes on the roster. The point is there are 200 minutes to dole out and probably 5-7 AA threats on the roster. Not everyone is playing 25 minutes a game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
We don't really know what kind of offensive player Butler is yet either. You think Stokes only gets 18 minutes per game at Georgetown? Not likely.

Stewart, Tuck, Williams, Nurse, Collier, KLS, Jefferson, Chong....Scoring isn't going to be an issue just as it wasn't with Stokes on the roster. The point is there are 200 minutes to dole out and probably 5-7 AA threats on the roster. Not everyone is playing 25 minutes a game.

Exactly Sluconn...exactly!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saniya will blossom this season into a great point guard and follow in MoJeffs footsteps next season. Saniya reminds me of what Kiah Stokes went through. Saniya will play a lot of minutes with Mojeff on the bench. JMO

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I'd love to see beggars riding.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I like that term: an AA threat. :) And there are about 11 All-AAC threats.

Reaction Score

Hey Slu - good point about Kiah and Stewie. And I love the Banter on Butler. IMHO the vital factor of minutes for Butler will be determined by --Is she starting or not? If Butler starts then she will be over 20 minutes. Geno has laser focus on developing his starting five so they are a killing machine. It takes 20-25 minutes a game (more in the big ones as we all know) to get that flow and chemistry. IMHO Butler will start and I will take the over 18 minutes a game. Like Chong last year, I think Butler earned (from last year)/ & will earn the starting spot this year. Her freshman year proved her determination and talent. With Butler we are not thinking of potential--Butler performed well for an entire college season--leading the team as well (as a frosh). Last point, as a navy brat I think she is smart enough and tough enough to earn the spot and "make enough adjustments quickly" to keep the starting spot. Unlike Chong.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a big year for Saniya. MoJeff leaving and this years freshman class will be only sophs next season. They will still be inexperienced and need leadership. Saniya imo most likely will start next season , unless something drastic happens this season. Dangerfield will be a freshman who I would expect to see a lot of playtime but start and run this team will only add another underclassman with little experience on the college level. JMO I think Dangerfield will start her soph year not freshman year with already two or more underclassman starting. I also think Geno will want to keep the pressure off her and allow her to blend with the team.

As far as scoring 100 pts. This team can do it. It will be hard for them not to even with Geno stopping the fast break and slowing things down into a half court game. Our bench has to much fire power and Geno needs to teach our underclassman how to execute in real game situations. Holding them back could hurt them the following season when Stewie and Mojeff are gone. I think Geno has to let them play and critique their play to have them ready for the following season . CFerr didn't say they would score 100pts he said they could and I agree they could and will in a good number of games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CFerr didn't say they would score 100pts he said they could and I agree they could and will in a good number of games.
Tony if that was the intent CFerr's post then I completely missed it. I cannot think of a UCONN team in the past decade and a half that was not capable of scoring 100 points depending on the opponent. There is no celebration, moment of joy, or even buffalo wings when a UCONN WCBB team scores 100 points-so what would be the point? I though the intent of the post was to point out that this team maybe one of most prolific scoring teams in UCONN history.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well UConn has completed the fifth three-peat in WCBB championship history, and the Huskies managed below 90 PPG in each of the last three championship seasons. We just don't play our most prolific scoring kids in these beat downs. If only The end of our bench could jack up and hit treys at an excellent rate.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Tony if that was the intent CFerr's post then I completely missed it. I cannot think of a UCONN team in the past decade and a half that was not capable of scoring 100 points depending on the opponent. There is no celebration, moment of joy, or even buffalo wings when a UCONN WCBB team scores 100 points-so what would be the point? I though the intent of the post was to point out that this team maybe one of most prolific scoring teams in UCONN history.

CocoHusky...you certainly did miss the point... Let me quote for you exactly what I said in my OP: "I just don't know how there is enough basketballs to go around with this team. We all know from experience that no team is going to average 100 points. But unless Geno deliberately puts the brakes on, plays the reserves a lot of minutes I just don't see how this high octane group of competitors doesn't score 100 points."

Interpretation: "I don't know if there is enough basketballs to go around with this team." Meaning that there is so much fire power on this team that anyone can score going 10 deep. "We all know from experience that no team is going to average 100 points." Meaning: it is it patently clear what I meant here...NO TEAM IS GOING TO AVERAGE 100 POINTS!!!! "But, unless Geno deliberately puts the brakes on, plays the reserves a lot of minutes, I just don't see how this high octane group of competitors doesn't score 100 points." Meaning: That historically Geno will apply the brakes and he will play the reserves extended minutes rather than running up the score...thus while it will be very difficult keeping this team under 100 points...NO TEAM WILL AVERAGE 100 POINTS because Geno will not run the score up...he will put the brakes on, he will play the reserves extended minutes... In a later post I also clarify that I agree with the poster that this high octane group of players will challenge the 1998 / 1999 scoring average of 91.5...clearly a statement that I do not think this team will average 100 points...I rather simply indicated that it will be HARD to keep them under 100 not that they will always top 100 points.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky...you certainly did miss the point... Let me quote for you exactly what I said in my OP: "I just don't know how there is enough basketballs to go around with this team. We all know from experience that no team is going to average 100 points. But unless Geno deliberately puts the brakes on, plays the reserves a lot of minutes I just don't see how this high octane group of competitors doesn't score 100 points."

Interpretation: "I don't know if there is enough basketballs to go around with this team." Meaning that there is so much fire power on this team that anyone can score going 10 deep. "We all know from experience that no team is going to average 100 points." Meaning: it is it patently clear what I meant here...NO TEAM IS GOING TO AVERAGE 100 POINTS!!!! "But, unless Geno deliberately puts the brakes on, plays the reserves a lot of minutes, I just don't see how this high octane group of competitors doesn't score 100 points." Meaning: That historically Geno will apply the brakes and he will play the reserves extended minutes rather than running up the score...thus while it will be very difficult keeping this team under 100 points...NO TEAM WILL AVERAGE 100 POINTS because Geno will not run the score up...he will put the brakes on, he will play the reserves extended minutes... In a later post I also clarify that I agree with the poster that this high octane group of players will challenge the 1998 / 1999 scoring average of 91.5...clearly a statement that I do not think this team will average 100 points...I rather simply indicated that it will be HARD to keep them under 100 not that they will always top 100 points.
Your point is not the first I have missed, nor will it be the last. Your use of bold and red does nothing to enhance my chances of not missing your point. The fact that you had to clarify something in a later post and your interpretation are likely the reasons I missed it in the first place. How did you happen to settle on this magical mythical number of 100 points in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom