Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is there a legit shot he actually chooses us? Kentucky doesn't seem sold on him and St. John's is St. Johns... but 15-16 we are LOADED with combo guards.

In terms of playing time, our combo guards should not scare a player like Briscoe - he's flat-out better than Cassell, JS, etc. (I think it's better than 60/40 that Purvis leaves at the end of the year.)

Kentucky just seems to have someone else above Briscoe - if that changes, forget it.

The best way I can put it is that we're third in a three-horse race but the two horses in front of us are a threat to either stop running or to make a hard right turn and splatter themselves into the rail.

Reaction Score
Honestly MAU - glad we are still in mix, but doubt he lands in Storrs. I just could not see Mizzou at all.

Reaction Score
St. John's
"Coach [Steve Lavin] knows the game and had good guards at UCLA and now at St. John's. He coached my all-time favorite player, Baron Davis. Playing at the Garden is exciting, while staying home and having the whole city behind me is something that runs past my mind everyday. ... Right in my own back yard "

UConn
"Coach Kevin Ollie is a great coach and he played in the NBA for 13 seasons. He is a point guard's coach. ... Everyone on UConn's staff [assistants Karl Hobbs, Glenn Miller, Ricky Moore] played point guard at UConn. Who wouldn't want to be apart of that? They are a family. Ollie is a guard coach, and UConn is an ideal program. And as a point guard playing for another point, it would make it a lot easier for me."

Kentucky
"If you want to get to the next level, point blank Kentucky is the place you want to be. Coach [John Calipari] is getting his players in and out of college with tremendous success. He is serious about what he does. He is a great coach that knows how to coach great players."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncb.../_/id/12070/briscoe-narrows-his-list-to-three

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to forward him the Baron Davis quote from way back when he said his UCLA team should have a banner up in Pauley Pavillion for being the only team to make the tournament without a head coach. I still don't get how Lavin is getting over on guys after all these years.

Reaction Score
St. John's
"Coach [Steve Lavin] knows the game and had good guards at UCLA and now at St. John's. He coached my all-time favorite player, Baron Davis. Playing at the Garden is exciting, while staying home and having the whole city behind me is something that runs past my mind everyday. ... Right in my own back yard "

UConn
"Coach Kevin Ollie is a great coach and he played in the NBA for 13 seasons. He is a point guard's coach. ... Everyone on UConn's staff [assistants Karl Hobbs, Glenn Miller, Ricky Moore] played point guard at UConn. Who wouldn't want to be apart of that? They are a family. Ollie is a guard coach, and UConn is an ideal program. And as a point guard playing for another point, it would make it a lot easier for me."

Playing multiple games at the Garden is a nice perk for the Johnnies…

That said, you would hope the new UCONN basketball facility would be a differentiator v. what the St. Johns has to offer… Would be nice to see that start paying dividends…

and we own the Garden,,,

Reaction Score
A rotation of Adams, Purvis and Isiah would be awesome, coupled with Dham, Stone and Brimah and more depth behind this. I'd expect we'd have a spot due to transfer or other player leaving. Top grading as they say in the corporate world.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
If we land Isaiah, and have Adams and Purvis, those three would be our primary 1-2 guards. They would play the most. Cassell and Samuel might get minutes but we have to consider talent level and Purv, Jalen, and Briscoe are just on another level than Cassell and Samuel. They would be bench players who may get some minutes each game. But that is not a bad thing. UConn should always be striving to get the best possible players and we can't feel bad when our talent level improves and some current roster guys don't play as much. We can't feel bad about playing time. We have to think about putting the best and cohesive talent on the floor. There is PLENTY of room for Isaiah Briscoe on next year's roster, regardless of the other guards that we have.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We don't need him but I'd love to have him. Adams and Briscoe would be awesome! With the Sams in the mix? Amazing!
I'm assuming Purvis will be gone. This would have been his junior year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Somebody needs to forward him the Baron Davis quote from way back when he said his UCLA team should have a banner up in Pauley Pavillion for being the only team to make the tournament without a head coach. I still don't get how Lavin is getting over on guys after all these years.
Done

Reaction Score
If we land Isaiah, and have Adams and Purvis, those three would be our primary 1-2 guards. They would play the most. Cassell and Samuel might get minutes but we have to consider talent level and Purv, Jalen, and Briscoe are just on another level than Cassell and Samuel. They would be bench players who may get some minutes each game. But that is not a bad thing. UConn should always be striving to get the best possible players and we can't feel bad when our talent level improves and some current roster guys don't play as much. We can't feel bad about playing time. We have to think about putting the best and cohesive talent on the floor. There is PLENTY of room for Isaiah Briscoe on next year's roster, regardless of the other guards that we have.

With a lot of size in the backcourt, you could see any number of those guys slide over to the "3", which can easily just be a second "2". Purvis or Samuel could cover 99 percent of college threes no problem. Durant, no. College threes, yes. Of course, if Hamilton is still around, he could soak up most of the minutes there, so the competition would be even tougher. But I could see a lineup where Samuel (a strong kid) is covering a scoring 3 on defense and playing the point on offense, allowing Adams and Purvis/Briscoe, say, to run off screens off the ball while taking the toughest defensive assignment. Or maybe Cassell could fill that role, but he's still an unknown commodity to me. Don't know if his PG/defensive skills translate to this level yet.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
With a lot of size in the backcourt, you could see any number of those guys slide over to the "3", which can easily just be a second "2". Purvis or Samuel could cover 99 percent of college threes no problem. Durant, no.

ahaha how many guys in the world can guard Durant?

Reaction Score
So now Samuel will play ahead of DHam and potentially Mack/Jones? A 6-4 3 whose range is very limited.

With a lot of size in the backcourt, you could see any number of those guys slide over to the "3", which can easily just be a second "2". Purvis or Samuel could cover 99 percent of college threes no problem. Durant, no. College threes, yes. Of course, if Hamilton is still around, he could soak up most of the minutes there, so the competition would be even tougher. But I could see a lineup where Samuel (a strong kid) is covering a scoring 3 on defense and playing the point on offense, allowing Adams and Purvis/Briscoe, say, to run off screens off the ball while taking the toughest defensive assignment. Or maybe Cassell could fill that role, but he's still an unknown commodity to me. Don't know if his PG/defensive skills translate to this level yet.

Reaction Score
There's a quote from Briscoe on ESPN.com:

"Playing at the Garden is exciting, while staying home and having the whole city behind me is something that runs past my mind everyday..."

The whole city????...Ummmm...he realizes he'd be playing for St John's, right???

Reaction Score
There's a quote from Briscoe on ESPN.com:

"Playing at the Garden is exciting, while staying home and having the whole city behind me is something that runs past my mind everyday..."

The whole city????...Ummmm...he realizes he'd be playing for St John's, right???
I'm sure he saw what the Garden was like during the Iowa State and Michigan State games this past tourney.

Reaction Score
True, long shot.

Still rooting for this dreamy starting 5 next year

1- Adams
2- Purvis
3- Dham
4- Stone
5- Brimah

And lots of experienced depth after this

1. SJU
1a. UK
72. UCONN

Reaction Score

UCLA products Baron Davis and Matt Barnes were back in their old haunt as the Warriors held their shootaround at Pauley Pavilion.

As things wound down, Davis started needling Cal grad John Murray, the Warriors’ strength and conditioning coach. “Look up there,” Davis said, nodding at the UCLA’s 11 championship banners. “That’s tradition. That’s the little brother beating up the big brother.”

Then Davis got rolling. Talking about his own time with the Bruins, he took a swipe at Marin native Steve Lavin, saying, “We should have a banner up there: the only team to make the tournament without a coach.”

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/baron-davis-takes-jab-at-steve-lavin/1090

That's rough. You would have to think this is used against Lavin on the trail all the time, and he still reels in solid classes.

Reaction Score
So now Samuel will play ahead of DHam and potentially Mack/Jones? A 6-4 3 whose range is very limited.

I believe the caveat was put in my post that Hamilton would soak up most of the minutes there if he was still around.

You also completely whiffed on the entire point which was:

"But I could see a lineup where Samuel (a strong kid) is covering a scoring 3 on defense and playing the point on offense, allowing Adams and Purvis/Briscoe, say, to run off screens off the ball while taking the toughest defensive assignment."

And this is talking a specific lineup - not for all 40 minutes.

Other than that, you comprehended everything just beautifully. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Reaction Score
1. UConn owns the Garden? Google maps says that UConn is 138 miles and 2 hours 30 minutes from MSG. More like a rental when they played there back in the old Big East. Any team that is really good at the time will draw fans there. When SJ is good like in 2011 the place was packed full. So don't pat yourselves on the back too much. St. John's whether we are #1 or #320 is the only school to play in MSG for college hoops as our home court. It's a big perk and I understand why you hate that. It beats playing on farms in Storrs.

2. IB most likely will not want to go to UConn since you already have guards. He doesn't want to share. But who knows? Lots of coaches are grimy recruiters. Maybe they try a last second offer like hiring one of his coaches like Seton Hall did with Whitehead.

3. UConn does not have a national TV deal. St. John's does. And you may talk about the ratings (even though it just had 1 year), but the point is that all of his family members and friends who can't make the games in person can watch at home from anywhere. That is bigger than you might think.

4. Storrs is not exactly the center of the universe like NYC.

5. I actually agree in being surprised that Baron's quote has not hurt him recruiting. He also is definitely not the greatest in game coach or player developer but he somehow gets those top recruits to come. That's all that matters. Other coaches can help develop. If we do get Briscoe and we still don't make the tourney though, I'd think Lavin gets fired.

6. I think you guys made the right decision. Football is definitely your sport and where you make your mark. 1-6 (0-4) in the mighty AAC featuring stalwarts like Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, etc. I have to say I was wrong about UConn. You guys are set to be the northeast version of the U from the 80's! No but seriously it cracks me up that people still think UConn is a football school. Once you run out of money from your football program we will leave the door open for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom