Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Miami and Pittsburgh are in major cities and share stadiums with NFL teams in case you didn't notice. It has been a trend that some no longer like, i.e. Tulane. Miami's and Pittsburgh's stadiums weren't sized for those schools, but they give each a quality place to play. Miami's attendance is around 40000 to 45000. I don't have an issue with their using those stadiums, and most of the Big Ten would be swallowed in them too.
Stimp,Im starting to see crack's in you're unflappable "wall" lol...obsession will get to you eventually...relax and try to enjoy life after all you're in heaven(ACC) right?

Reaction Score
Yes. About 90000 to 95000. The last time UVA played in that stadium there were 109,000 people there. Be hopefull that Rutgers can draw 109,000 to it on its big splash.
I assume you're meaning it was UVa who brought the fans?lol...I don't know why we bother talking with one who knows ALL the answers? Is there anything else you can educate us on?

Reaction Score
Well, if ACC football stinks with 5 national titles back to 1970, what is BUG football with only 2?

And if Clemson is awful forever getting plastered in a bowl, what does it say about the BUG that the team that totally owned the conference for 2 years (o regular season losses in 2 seasons) lost a bowl to Clemson? Undefeated for 2 years vs the BUG - 0-1 vs the ACC.

It would be foolish to claim ACC football as equal to SEC football. It is also foolish to think BUG football is better than ACC football.
Why do you always go back there? Still butthurt because of the old "jilt" lol.You're obsessed with the B1G instead of the All-cupcake?

Reaction Score
Well, if ACC football stinks with 5 national titles back to 1970, what is BUG football with only 2?

And if Clemson is awful forever getting plastered in a bowl, what does it say about the BUG that the team that totally owned the conference for 2 years (o regular season losses in 2 seasons) lost a bowl to Clemson? Undefeated for 2 years vs the BUG - 0-1 vs the ACC.

It would be foolish to claim ACC football as equal to SEC football. It is also foolish to think BUG football is better than ACC football.
Again,you mean FSU and the dwarfs? The B1G top to bottom is better as was the OBE of recent vintage to those being honest.

Reaction Score
Hoew
Yes. About 90000 to 95000. The last time UVA played in that stadium there were 109,000 people there. Be hopefull that Rutgers can draw 109,000 to it on its big splash.
How many times do I have to tell you? Nobody here OR in the NE cares about UVa FB. In Va its all about the Hokies in NorthernVa and Md/DC the cav's are an afterthought even more so than Cuse FB in NYC metro!!

Reaction Score
[quote="btstimpy, post: 936914, . Both Miami and FSU kicked Florida's arse and do so often. k.[/quote]
I don't know about this. Florida is in a transitional stage in coaching there, and FSU has temporarily step into this void by getting Jumbo after Dadgummit retired there. Miami under Golden has been a disappointment from what was expected there.. good, but he recruited better than his record there, imo.

Reaction Score
People here want to keep talking about Louisville academics. I'm not impressed with Louisville academics. .
Me neither. But one look at the league alignments and there is no coorelation whatsover to " academics ". Among any of these leagues. The only schools that make " academics " a consideration for invites ( and exclusions ) are the Ivies and the Little Ivies and so forth. The old BE brought in WVU football, ( bad academics ), and expelled Temple football ( good academics ). Duke is in a league with NC State, Vanderbilt is in the SEC with Miss. State, Northwestern in a league with Mich. State, Stanford in a league with Ariz. State, and so forth. So a school's "academics ", and " grad rates " etc is neither an attribute nor a drawback to a school's postiion in all these leagues. Its all exclusively driven my financial considerations, and " academics" is wholly a non factor in these decisions.

Reaction Score
I saw tons of empty seats in Happy Valley the past couple of years, and I saw one Illinois game on TV this year and was shocked at the empty seats. As for empty ACC stadiums, you must have watched a Maryland game in College Park.
Speaking of empty seats.....
acc_championship_game_crowd_view_2007_empty_stadium_jacksonville_altel_acc_sucks_sux.jpg

Reaction Score
The line of his that perplexed me was when he said Miami has been kicking Florida's butt. This is the same Florida that was a scourge of college football and had multiple championships in this decade, while Miami has been doing nothing but lose (a lot) for a decade and also has been plagued by scandal after scandal. It really boggles the mind.
I agree. Florida football is in transition. They are located in Florida, and they play in the SEC.. the best college football league top to bottom by far in college football. Miami Hurricanes have been clearly on overall disappointment there after hiring Golden Boy who was supposed to bring this program back to national stature. They might still get it done there yet with the Miami Hurricanes, but the recent trend lines there, both on and off the field, is not what the Miami folks there wanted by now.

Reaction Score
I saw tons of empty seats in Happy Valley the past couple of years, and I saw one Illinois game on TV this year and was shocked at the empty seats. As for empty ACC stadiums, you must have watched a Maryland game in College Park.
And here come your Miami Hurricanes..... UConn struggles getting butts in seat at kickoff, but.....

120915074643_Hurricanes-stadium.jpg

Reaction Score
And here come your Miami Hurricanes..... UConn struggles getting butts in seat at kickoff, but.....

120915074643_Hurricanes-stadium.jpg

Miami has always stuggled with attendance, even in the years they were kicking butt at the national level. Its a Pro Sports loving town, and with its changing demographics, Soccer is growing in popularity there in this City, not football or basketball.

Reaction Score
Here is a little interesting set of attendance facts. The BeeOneGee has held 3 football championship games. The attendances are 61, 152 (2011), 41, 260 (2012), and 66, 002 (2013).

The numbers for the ACC championship games the same seasons: 73, 675 (2011), 64, 778 (2012), and 67, 694 (2013).

link

other link

Reaction Score
The line of his that perplexed me was when he said Miami has been kicking Florida's butt. This is the same Florida that was a scourge of college football and had multiple championships in this decade, while Miami has been doing nothing but lose (a lot) for a decade and also has been plagued by scandal after scandal. It really boggles the mind.

Miami's record all time against the Florida Gators is 29-26 in favor of the Miami Hurricanes, and since 1978 it is 12-4 in favor of Miami including a 21-16 butt whipping in 2013 that wasn't as close as the score. Yes. The same Miami Hurricanes kicking the Florida Gators butt 75% of the time they play each other. My comment is in response to Nicky calling that second fiddle. I don't think a 25% winning percentage is first fiddle in anything. Nicky might. I don't.

Reaction Score
Here is a little interesting set of attendance facts. The BeeOneGee has held 3 football championship games. The attendances are 61, 152 (2011), 41, 260 (2012), and 66, 002 (2013).

The numbers for the ACC championship games the same seasons: 73, 675 (2011), 64, 778 (2012), and 67, 694 (2013).

link

other link

Can we see pictures of the stadiums? Because a few posts up is a picture of the BCU/VT ACC championship game which had announced attendance of 53K so forgive if I trust the number the ACC puts out.

Reaction Score
Miami has always stuggled with attendance, even in the years they were kicking butt at the national level. Its a Pro Sports loving town, and with its changing demographics, Soccer is growing in popularity there in this City, not football or basketball.

The issue isn't as much attendance as it is they are in a stadium that is the wrong size for the school.

Reaction Score
Miami had the 8th largest increase in home game football ave game attendance of all the FBS schools in the country year over end from 2012 to 2013 ( from 47,000 to 53,000 ).( For context, BC and Uconn struggled in home attendance in 2013 compared to Miami with BC at 33,000 and Uconn at 30,000 in ave home game attendance ) If football attendance combined with national fan football interest was important in all this, Navy would be in the ACC , Big.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very true. I was just responding to Stimpy's claim about empty B10 stadiums, as if it was an exclusive problem in the B10, All leagues (not all teams though) are struglling with attendnace. B10, ACC, B12, P12 all have schools that aren't filling up stadiums. I'd guess the SEC thrives will full stadiums, comparatively spekaing, but couldn't say for sure.

Reaction Score
Very true. I was just responding to Stimpy's claim about empty B10 stadiums, as if it was an exclusive problem in the B10, All leagues (not all teams though) are struglling with attendnace. B10, ACC, B12, P12 all have schools that aren't filling up stadiums. I'd guess the SEC thrives will full stadiums, comparatively spekaing, but couldn't say for sure.

The Big, on the whole, does a good job in football attendance. I'll cede that point to them.

Reaction Score
Tampa did not support the ACC Championship Game. They lost it after 1 year too.
Yes.. Tampa lost the ACC Championships Basketball venue there too for their city. ( as a sidebar, MLB should move the Rays franchise to Vegas or some such too, as that city blows for MLB as well )

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Attendance issues are everywhere. I recall reading an article last year about Alabama students not going to games. Alabama.

Reaction Score
You are the only person I know that would take Miami over Florida. It's very hard to believe you are serious.

Good Basketball. I think UConn saw it in the Final Four. Both Miami and Florida State kicked their butts in Football this year, and Florida State did it in devastating fashion. Like I said, since 1978 Miami and Florida have played 16 times in football with Miami winning 75% of the games. Miami would play more often. The whole 8 years I lived there, the Miami fans believed Florida was dodging them because they didn't want another butt whipping. Florida never leaves the state for an OOC game, and they don't like to get their butt whipping by Miami in the state.

I would love to have Florida and Georgia in the ACC, but they are content where they are. But Miami is not second fiddle to Florida. Florida Gators aren't even that big of a deal in South Florida. Miami does have an issue with their facilities falling behind both Florida and Florida State that needs to be addressed. They know this.

Reaction Score
Attendance issues are everywhere. I recall reading an article last year about Alabama students not going to games. Alabama.
While true, we'd all be happy to have ' Bama's " problem " re. football attendance. These SEC schools charge for their Spring Exhibition football intra- squad games, and get in the order of 50,000- 80,000 to show up each year for the thing. Its a whole different ballgame in SEC country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom