Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Court Documents and sworn testimony in Blumental lawsuit showed that former Uconn AD Lew Perkins contacted ACC Commish Swofford personally on behalf of Uconn after Miami left to determine Swofford's interest in Uconn to the ACC.

Um, so what? This will blow your hair back....he contacted Swofford before, too.

They all did - but not after the June meeting

Why is it so hard for Boston College fans to come into the light here? Boston College lied to the conference and not just once or twice - it happened.

"We had a double agent among us."

Reaction Score
Fr. Leahy and Kenneth Shaw spoke the day after Miami and Virginia Tech were invited into the ACC and both promised that they would not negotiate or accept an invitation to the ACC while either was in his position.
Cite ?

Reaction Score
If the intent is to compare the bad faith underhandedness of BC and Pitt, then yes, the two are comparable. I have no reason to believe Syracuse, which on more than one occasion stuck with it, was the catalyst for turning down the deal.

If you tell me the C7 was backchanneling with Fox at the same time, I'd believe that, too.

In summary, the timing for these defections was about as bad as can be foe the BE. I don't really blame any school for leaving, all had reasons Miami, VT, WVU, RU, SU, Pitt, UL at the time. What gives BC special distinction around here is that if the BE only lost Miami and VT it would have been fine.

Remember, Cuse stayed to rebuild, BC committed to rebuilding and exited the backdoor afterwards. Unlike in 2011with Pitt/Cuse/UL/WVU, no one else was leaving at that time. Now, add in the efforts to keep UConn out and ask why anyone around here gives a flip about what anyone from BC has to say about anything? It's a completely devoid organization.
If BC had stayed in the BE, either Syracuse or Pitt would have left within a year. The ACC was going to 12 members. That was the requirement to play a football championship.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cite ?

First-hand knowledge.

But you can find accounts of it online. With those accounts, you can also find quotes from reps at nearly all the Big East schools expressing similar sentiments about Boston College.

Reaction Score
I didn't know that about UConn, but it is no surprise. Once it was clear that Miami was gone to the ACC as soon as it could get an invite, BE football was in very serious trouble. Everybody was then looking for an exit.

And the football pecking order you mention - UConn was then at the BE bottom of it because it was brand new to the big time.

Miami was an unhappy camper in the BE... and for a long time, they had toyed with leaving the BE. BC and Syracuse were 2 schools that year after year tried to convince Miami to stay... and for a time it worked. But Miami sports were losing money. Their football team played in a Pro sports town ( like BC in this respect ), and even when they were good they struggled to fill their stadium, especially competing with the Dolphins for buzz ( the Fish were good back then ). Miami basketball stunk. Here they were however in a BE league run by basketball people out of Providence, R.I.. So they decided they had had it, and they decided to leave the BE for the ACC. The first 2 schools they contacted to tell of their leaving was BC and Syracuse. Once it was clear that Miami had made their decision and they could no longer be persuaded to stay, both BC and Syracuse decided to approach the ACC... all 3 together. But when this got back to Jim Boeheim up at Syracuse, he did not want to go, and told his AD this. Syracuse became conflicted between the football intersts there and the basketball interests there.. into this void came Virginia and politics got involved there in Virginia, and the ACC agreed to take Miami then VT, with the others now on the clock for their invites.. and the dominos fell, and everyone was claiming they were staying but were looking to move. Heck even the lawsuit in Connecticut had Plaintiffs that were seeking damages that were negotiating with Swofford the timing on their entry, not the question of " if ". So there was a lot of maneuvering where schools were saying one thing, while trying to position themselves strategically.. as everyone with half a brain coould tell that once the people in Providence lost their Miami football program to the ACC, the BE was finished as a viable football league. EVERY school saw what everyone here did. So NO school official was dumb enough to be totally blindsided that schools would not be leaving in short order, nor accepting feigned loyalty under these circumstances was something one could take to the bank.

Reaction Score
First-hand knowledge.

But you can find accounts of it online. With those accounts, you can also find quotes from reps at nearly all the Big East schools expressing similar sentiments about Boston College.
What collective sentiments in this "... , as if you got 6 BE schools in a room they couldn't even agree on the color of the drapes in that room.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What collective sentiments in this "... , as if you got 6 BE schools in a room they couldn't even agree on the color of the drapes in that room.

You're thick, son.

You can go.

Reaction Score
Miami was an unhappy camper in the BE... and for a long time, they had toyed with leaving the BE. BC and Syracuse were 2 schools that year after year tried to convince Miami to stay... and for a time it worked. But Miami sports were losing money. Their football team played in a Pro sports town ( like BC in this respect ), and even when they were good they struggled to fill their stadium, especially competing with the Dolphins for buzz ( the Fish were good back then ). Miami basketball stunk. Here they were however in a BE league run by basketball people out of Providence, R.I.. So they decided they had had it, and they decided to leave the BE for the ACC. The first 2 schools they contacted to tell of their leaving was BC and Syracuse. Once it was clear that Miami had made their decision and they could no longer be persuaded to stay, both BC and Syracuse decided to approach the ACC... all 3 together. But when this got back to Jim Boeheim up at Syracuse, he did not want to go, and told his AD this. Syracuse became conflicted between the football intersts there and the basketball interests there.. into this void came Virginia and politics got involved there in Virginia, and the ACC agreed to take Miami then VT, with the others now on the clock for their invites.. and the dominos fell, and everyone was claiming they were staying but were looking to move. Heck even the lawsuit in Connecticut had Plaintiffs that were seeking damages that were negotiating with Swofford the timing on their entry, not the question of " if ". So there was a lot of maneuvering where schools were saying one thing, while trying to position themselves strategically.. as everyone with half a brain coould tell that once the people in Providence lost their Miami football program to the ACC, the BE was finished as a viable football league. EVERY school saw what everyone here did. So NO school official was dumb enough to be totally blindsided that schools would not be leaving in short order, nor accepting feigned loyalty under these circumstances was something one could take to the bank.

I think most unbiased observers would say both Big East basketball and Big East football were equal to or greater than the ACC AFTER Miami, VT, and BC left.

Honestly, Miami football has not been relevant SINCE they left the Big East. No BCS bowl games, no Top 10 end of season rankings, 3 end of season Top 25 rankings, no conference championships, 2-5 in bowl games, the Shapiro scandal, FIU brawl, ... Miami would have held the Big Easy together?

Reaction Score
ationquote="Yawkey Way, post: 936079, member: 4458"]Court Documents and sworn testimony in Blumental lawsuit showed that former Uconn AD Lew Perkins contacted ACC Commish Swofford personally on behalf of Uconn after Miami left to determine Swofford's interest in Uconn to the ACC. Swofford told Perkins that Uconn was not a primary candidate. Blumenthal himself may have not known of this until after the lawsuit was launched. But Perkins was long gone once the depos and testimony began, as he left for the B12 out to Kansas. Swofford is mad to this day, as he was sued personally by the lawsuit that came out of Connecticut.. and he's well aware of Uconn's first contact by its school to determine the ACC's interest. So Uconn was doing one thing while feigning fidelity to the BE as well. All the schools were, just at different stages thats all, and mostly done by the chronolocical order of the college football pecking order.[/quote]

Once you admit there was more to BC's lobbying against UConn than Blumenthal's suit, we'll have an adult conversation. (I think Blumenthal is a schmuck and I would like to dump it all at his feet.) But BC didn't like UConn eclipsing them in the NE sports market. It happened anyways. I am now gratified to see some UNC boards suggesting a trade UConn for BC now. Won't happen, but it is rich.

Reaction Score
If that's where you've set the bar for success, no problem.
No, you misunderstand, thinking that my comments were meant as a gauge of " success" when it was a reply to your claim tha"that BC has not been terribly good on the field in the ACC" since joining. I replied with the 3, in 2 sports, in a relatively short time and stated " not too shabby" ( not as a barometer of " success ")

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, you misunderstand, thinking that my comments were meant as a gauge of " success" when it was a reply to your claim tha"that BC has not been terribly good on the field in the ACC" since joining. I replied with the 3, in 2 sports, in a relatively short time and stated " not too shabby" ( not as a barometer of " success ")

Fair enough.

From the outside, (coaches fired, etc.), it looks like a rough decade.

Reaction Score
If the intent is to compare the bad faith underhandedness of BC and Pitt, then yes, the two are comparable. I have no reason to believe Syracuse, which on more than one occasion stuck with it, was the catalyst for turning down the deal.

If you tell me the C7 was backchanneling with Fox at the same time, I'd believe that, too.

In summary, the timing for these defections was about as bad as can be foe the BE. I don't really blame any school for leaving, all had reasons Miami, VT, WVU, RU, SU, Pitt, UL at the time. What gives BC special distinction around here is that if the BE only lost Miami and VT it would have been fine.

Remember, Cuse stayed to rebuild, BC committed to rebuilding and exited the backdoor afterwards. Unlike in 2011with Pitt/Cuse/UL/WVU, no one else was leaving at that time. Now, add in the efforts to keep UConn out and ask why anyone around here gives a flip about what anyone from BC has to say about anything? It's a completely devoid organization.

Essentially the vast majority of the original BE football conference except for Temple has ended up in the ACC. WVU and Rutgers went other places, and UConn added football later. Both UConn and Temple are now in the AAC. Nothing new to anyone here. Many here suggest that the ACC has the old BE politics coming our way. Maybe so. We have enough of our own too. A 16 team league will have more than a 9 team league.

The bad blood that went on in 2003 was in large part because the ACC screwed up and made the whole thing a spectacle that was drawn out for months in the media. The ACC has learned its lesson, and doesn't repeat that mistake. Hopefully a lot of this can be put behind and BC and UConn can get along at some point. I'd like to see UConn join the ACC, and I'm not opposed to Temple honestly. I like Philly. Many of my ACC brethren are opposed though regarding Temple. There are better football options out there, but not in Philly.

Reaction Score
I think most unbiased observers would say both Big East basketball and Big East football were equal to or greater than the ACC AFTER Miami, VT, and BC left.

Honestly, Miami football has not been relevant SINCE they left the Big East. No BCS bowl games, no Top 10 end of season rankings, 3 end of season Top 25 rankings, no conference championships, 2-5 in bowl games, the Shapiro scandal, FIU brawl, ... Miami would have held the Big Easy together?

Miami's drop off matters nothing. Without Miami, BE football was always on the precipice of destruction, because any other member would be itching to flee the second any other BCS conference offered.

Reaction Score
Have you noticed that you're on a conference realignment message board on a UConn website?
Yes. Have you noticed that there has been at least 2 dozen schools fans represented on this thread topic on realignment that have made comments and observations re. this thread topic since the thread topic started. You have some problem with this ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

quote]

Not the network people however. They certainly thought the ACC had more current and future value, than the remaining BE schools, and if the BE basketball schools were enamored of the BE football schools they would not have split off from them either, imo.

Reaction Score
ationquote="Yawkey Way,

. I am now gratified to see some UNC boards suggesting a trade UConn for BC now. Won't happen, but it is rich.

I never thought I see the day come however that Uconn fans would value what UNC Tar Heel fans say and do. But there it is. ( haha!) Next up, valuing what the Dookies think on expansion and the ACC ? BC fans would replace NC State down there in the Carolinas with Villanova if they could. But so what ? Thats not real world stuff either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The BE FB schools had the following issues with ND:

1. Consistently voting with the C7 to prevent more FB focused decisions like who to add, TV rights and whether to split.

2. Not playing BE FB schools more regularly. This has always been understated. The BE would have loved to have the ACC's arrangement.

3. Bumping BE from higher profile bowl games. As it stands, I don't recall this actually happening because ND was way down, but it was always a concern.

4. For some, not me, not saving the BE by joining. The feeling is ND could have stopped teams from leaving or enticed a few better programs to join. This is silly because every other sentence out of ND says they will remain indy in FB at all costs. You're a fool if you think otherwise.

5. For pulling sending it's other sports to the ACC. No one actually cared about this or ND's other sports. It was more a sense of being had. (See #4).

All those saying the ND/ACC relationship is a rerun of the BE are correct. If the ACC understands ND is out for ND, then it will be fine.

That list is all correct. The problem with your last comment is that people don't stick with their beliefs in times of trouble. They'll quietly change to what suits them. And I'll hear "ND could have made the ACC the most powerful conference in the lower 48 but chose to remain independent. Damn those back stabbing mackerel snapping anarchists!"

Reaction Score
and I haven't read all 100 posts today. cliff notes please?

Just tell me who's naked pictures BC has stored away in the Eagle's arse that got them an ACC invite.

Reaction Score
Some school will be coming out of the AAC and into the ACC in the next expansion by the ACC, whenever that is. I think Uconn is in the drivers seat right now too for that next spot ( and it won't matter a wit to the ACC what either BC , Syracuse, ND think on the matter either, imo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
and I haven't read all 100 posts today. cliff notes please?

Just tell me who's naked pictures BC has stored away in the Eagle's arse that got them an ACC invite.
a certain former ND LB'er perhaps ? ( hey Joe, you launched the 1st hand grenade, you know .. haha !)

Reaction Score
Essentially the vast majority of the original BE football conference except for Temple has ended up in the ACC. WVU and Rutgers went other places, and UConn added football later. Both UConn and Temple are now in the AAC. Nothing new to anyone here. Many here suggest that the ACC has the old BE politics coming our way. Maybe so. We have enough of our own too. A 16 team league will have more than a 9 team league.

The bad blood that went on in 2003 was in large part because the ACC screwed up and made the whole thing a spectacle that was drawn out for months in the media. The ACC has learned its lesson, and doesn't repeat that mistake. Hopefully a lot of this can be put behind and BC and UConn can get along at some point. I'd like to see UConn join the ACC, and I'm not opposed to Temple honestly. I like Philly. Many of my ACC brethren are opposed though regarding Temple. There are better football options out there, but not in Philly.

This reminds me. Last year it was, just 12 months ago, the WVU folks proclaimed that UVA was "signed, sealed, delivered" to the OTHER GUYS. I thought it wasn't true ONLY on the grounds that East Coasters don't really take the Midwest seriously and the powers that be would never wait for orders from Chicago. It's supposed to be the other way around.

edit: thanks Stimpy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This reminds me. Last year it was, just 12 months ago, the WVU folks proclaimed that UVA was "signed, sealed, delivered" to the ACC. I thought it wasn't true ONLY on the grounds that East Coasters don't really take the Midwest seriously and the powers that be would never wait for orders from Chicago. It's supposed to be the other way around.

I think you mean the Big Ten. Yes the WVU mafia had us with all of our paperwork turned in, and the Big Ten was just waiting on a partner school. It drove me crazy because I knew personally from the UVA AD's lips that it was complete nonsense. They have finally stopped. The Dude is now tweeting that UVA has told the Big Ten that UVA is not interested regardless of the outcome of the Maryland lawsuit. He finally might have his story correct.

Reaction Score
This reminds me. Last year it was, just 12 months ago, the WVU folks proclaimed that UVA was "signed, sealed, delivered" to the OTHER GUYS. I thought it wasn't true ONLY on the grounds that East Coasters don't really take the Midwest seriously and the powers that be would never wait for orders from Chicago. It's supposed to be the other way around.

edit: thanks Stimpy.
And all that talk, the part from the OTHER GUYS, was to show how mighty ND had no power and would be forced to beg the OTHER GUYS once Virginia and North Carolina went to the OTHER GUYS.

Reaction Score
And all that talk, the part from the OTHER GUYS, was to show how mighty ND had no power and would be forced to beg the OTHER GUYS once Virginia and North Carolina went to the OTHER GUYS.

Or else, we could only schedule the other other guys because all the BCS conferences were going to boycott ND.

Reaction Score
My goodness, if you think that JC's relationship with the school is not strained, then I don't know what to say. If you believe that JC is happy that his school has assigned him to a desk job ( albeit drawing a salary ) and that he's not out there courtside Coaching at Uconn still, then thats that, and you've convinced yourself that things are just peachy between JC and the School.
Pass the doche to the right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc