Interesting Malik Newman & Diamond Stone Tweet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Interesting Malik Newman & Diamond Stone Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
(Cough) Kemba...(cough) Ben Gordon...(cough) Mr. Shock the world, Khalid (yes, I know they were Calhoun, but all 4 ships were led by elite guards.

No doubt. I'm still delirious from the last title, and can't focus enough to look back that far.

Reaction Score
(Cough) Kemba...(cough) Ben Gordon...(cough) Mr. Shock the world, Khalid (yes, I know they were Calhoun, but all 4 ships were led by elite guards.

Khalid and Gordon were great players, but neither was close to the best player on his own team.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Khalid and Gordon were great players, but neither was close to the best player on his own team.
Okafor was the best player on UConn in 04. But define "close." Gordon was no question the second-best player, and capable of going off for 35 points on a given night. I'd say he was "close" to being the best player on his own team.

Reaction Score

Gordon was the "best player" on the team many times that year. He was King of MSG and they won the BE title w/o Okafor and he was brilliant. Emeka was arguably the best player on that team but ben was as close as 2nd fiddle as you can get I think.

Reaction Score
Okafor was the best player on UConn in 04. But define "close." Gordon was no question the second-best player, and capable of going off for 35 points on a given night. I'd say he was "close" to being the best player on his own team.

Okafor was worth about 10 wins in 2004. Gordon was worth about 7. The difference between Okafor's value and Gordon's value was nearly identical to the difference between Gordon's value and Rashad Anderson's value. Gordon was really good that year, and probably the best #2 player UConn has ever had, but Okafor's season in 2004 is in the conversation for best UConn season ever. They weren't very close.

Reaction Score
All I know is that Josh Boone played like a man possessed in March. And then...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Okafor was worth about 10 wins in 2004. Gordon was worth about 7. The difference between Okafor's value and Gordon's value was nearly identical to the difference between Gordon's value and Rashad Anderson's value. Gordon was really good that year, and probably the best #2 player UConn has ever had, but Okafor's season in 2004 is in the conversation for best UConn season ever. They weren't very close.

That's nuts. Okafor was the #2 player taken in the draft and Gordon was #3. Gordon absolutely dominated the BET and was spectacular in the NCAA tourney. You lose all credibility by saying Oak was to Gordon as Gordon was to Rashad. It leads me to believe you may not be old enough to remember the 04 season or are so old your memory is going.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

True, but it wasn't a massive gulf between the two. It was closer than you are saying. Okafor definitely ahead though.

I personally think Oak is in the top 3 all time at UCONN. Ray Oak and Kemba for me (I know it's diff for everybody). But there's a reason when JC lists off the best players all time at UCONN, he includes "Ben" every time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's nuts. Okafor was the #2 player taken in the draft and Gordon was #3. Gordon absolutely dominated the BET and was spectacular in the NCAA tourney. You lose all credibility by saying Oak was to Gordon as Gordon was to Rashad. It leads me to believe you may not be old enough to remember the 04 season or are so old your memory is going.

I don't think Bruce is THAT young.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure how good of an indicator draft position is of value in college. As far as what you choose to believe, I was on campus that season, so I remember it quite well. Again, this isn't my opinion; I'm going based on the numbers here. Look for yourself: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/connecticut/2004.html

Okafor 9.9, Gordon 7.0, Anderson 4.1.

Gordon had a terrific season, and was a top-10 player nationally. Okafor had probably the best season ever by a UConn player. That's a pretty significant difference.

Reaction Score
http://zagsblog.com/articles/ivan-rabb-could-package-with-newman-stone-at-kansas-or-kentucky/

This article addresses the Newman tweet that said the package deal with Stone may include someone else. He was talking about Ivan Rabb, which explains why we've been calling him alot recently. Doesnt seem like the staff's efforts have worked on Rabb. You'll see why after reading the article. Doesn't look good for UConn if it all happens the way Newman and Rabb plan.

It kind of bothers me and makes me feel like Uconn still isn't getting the proper regard from recruits. Newman should be pushing Rabb to consider UConn too. It shows that Newman is not that high on UConn. What does it mean that Uconn cant get on Rabb's list after making a serious attempt? Could mean nothing more than that recruit doesn't really care for the area or the school. I figure when uk reaches out, kids always at least consider. We deserve the same respect if not more. Maybe one day.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
http://zagsblog.com/articles/ivan-rabb-could-package-with-newman-stone-at-kansas-or-kentucky/

This article addresses the Newman tweet that said the package deal with Stone may include someone else. He was talking about Ivan Rabb, which explains why we've been calling him alot recently. Doesnt seem like the staff's efforts have worked on Rabb. You'll see why after reading the article. Doesn't look good for UConn if it all happens the way Newman and Rabb plan.

Fortunately Stone has a big say in this. In fact, if it is a package deal, Stone gets to single handily pick the school.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If anything, this probably means newman might be looking for a new partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads