Interesting Malik Newman & Diamond Stone Tweet | The Boneyard

Interesting Malik Newman & Diamond Stone Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Malik newman tweeted that Diamond Stone will be committing before him and the school Stone chooses doesn't mean he is necessarily going there. Sorry at work and can't copy link

Reaction Score
I saw this as well..tough to interpret and speculate, even though that is exactly what we will do on this board, but to me, it's likely that Stone might have told Newman of the schools he's leaning towards, which may include some schools Newman is not particularly interested in. It could also mean that Stone is planning to commit in the fall, while Newman plans to commit in the spring (which both have already said), and by that time, the landscape altogether could be different. Who knows. From checking twitter, 3, TCF, etc., it's clear that Ollie was following Stone around like a shadow this past weekend. Newman would be a great get, but Stone is more important for us IMO.

Reaction Score
I think its just a matter of whats best for each of them. Stone wants to pick his school and be done with it so there is no pressure on him during his senior year. Newman kind of wants the attention. Im sure they'd like to go together but if Stone feels like UConn is the best place for him and Newman likes the idea of playing where his dad played then they'll do that.

Reaction Score
I saw this as well..tough to interpret and speculate, even though that is exactly what we will do on this board, but to me, it's likely that Stone might have told Newman of the schools he's leaning towards, which may include some schools Newman is not particularly interested in. It could also mean that Stone is planning to commit in the fall, while Newman plans to commit in the spring (which both have already said), and by that time, the landscape altogether could be different. Who knows. From checking twitter, 3, TCF, etc., it's clear that Ollie was following Stone around like a shadow this past weekend. Newman would be a great get, but Stone is more important for us IMO.

100% agree. And like you said if Newman wants to commit in the spring schools like us may not have a schollie left. Say Stone commits in November along with Enoch. Then we may only have 1 spot left going into the winter. If Newman still doesn't feel any urgency to commit then I think he's going elsewhere.

Reaction Score
@EvanDaniels: In regards to Malik Newman's tweet, I followed up with Diamond Stone. He hasn't made his college choice.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Kids are acting like over privileged Diva's. little cat and mouse twitter games. JC got out at the right time because he wouldve never went through this junk. I refuse. This is Uconn people. When I committed to my little Div. 3 school , I didn't hold the rest of Div. 3 Hostage. Jeez. I just said "yes " and filled out my financial aid package. Spoiled brats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kids are acting like over privileged Diva's. little cat and mouse twitter games. JC got out at the right time because he wouldve never went through this junk. I refuse. This is Uconn people. When I committed to my little Div. 3 school , I didn't hold the rest of Div. 3 Hostage. Jeez. I just "yes " and filled out my financial aid package. Spoiled brats.

You can't compare D3 to being top 5 nationally.

These kids know that half the battle is just the aura you put forward. It's not a matter of how well you play. The NBA seems very willing to draft you high based on the perception that you were ticketed for the top. So you do everything that keeps you ranked in that top 10. There's $$ involved in all of this dog and pony show.

Horatio

Reaction Score

I know upstater. That was 100% pure sarcasm but you gotta admit this stuff is getting excessive . We just won our fourth recent title. We have a brand new practice facility. If you come here you probably have an open door to hall of famer Jim Calhoun's office . Plus , Ray , Caron, Rudy etc. show up and talk to you/ give advice during the off season and your coach is a 12yr NBA vet. It just seems that we're going through a lot of nonsense that is unnecessary given our current, elite status.

Reaction Score
I know upstater. That was 100% pure sarcasm but you gotta admit this stuff is getting excessive . We just won our fourth recent title. We have a brand new practice facility. If you come here you probably have an open door to hall of famer Jim Calhoun's office . Plus , Ray , Caron, Rudy etc. show up and talk to you/ give advice during the off season and your coach is a 12yr NBA vet. It just seems that we're going through a lot of nonsense that is unnecessary given our current, elite status.

It is crazy stuff, but it's also been around for awhile. When I was in high school, Earl Kelley had a press conference to commit to UConn. It's been going on for a long time, and the schools do it in my area even when it isn't televised, and for minor sports. It doesn't send much of a message to the rest of the kids who are also going away to school in the fall.

For these top 10 guys, they have it practically made. They have to screw things up royally in order to not sign a pro contract. It wasn't always this way. Kids get so much more exposure these days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Don't know how you say that when everybody else is going through the same non-sense, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC...

Reaction Score

These kids know that half the battle is just the aura you put forward. It's not a matter of how well you play. The NBA seems very willing to draft you high based on the perception that you were ticketed for the top. So you do everything that keeps you ranked in that top 10. There's involved in all of this dog and pony show.

Love u upstate ... but this is crazy. THE NBA is far more analytical and detailed. The obvious thing, after watching the last few years (and reporting has gotten stronger), is the due diligence by MOST all of the top NBA teams & the ones who want to rise are quite extensive. Perception/Aura? Not rally.

Horatio

Reaction Score
Don't know how you say that when everybody else is going through the same non-sense, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC...

I agree with you on Kentucky but they still get about 5 of these kids a year. As for the rest ( Duke , UNC , Kansas , etc. ) as of 2011, we're a far better program.

Reaction Score
Word I am hearing is that it is highly unlikely this deal happens. .

Ps :I am not saying this but what I have heard:)

Reaction Score
Word I am hearing is that it is highly unlikely this deal happens. .

Ps :I am not saying this but what I have heard:)

D Stone is the guy I really want from the package, but if they indeed stick together I have absolutely no problem taking on a consensus top 5 combo guard who can literally score at will with explosive athleticism. Getting those 2 in this class would be a dream.

But I will be very satisfied with just a Diamond.

Also, just realized 2 people said "5 months" till he commits in this thread. Its actually more like 3 months and 3 weeks considering its July 21st :p So its not as far away as some might think.

Reaction Score
Love u upstate ... but this is crazy. THE NBA is far more analytical and detailed. The obvious thing, after watching the last few years (and reporting has gotten stronger), is the due diligence by MOST all of the top NBA teams & the ones who want to rise are quite extensive. Perception/Aura? Not rally.

When you look at that top 10, those kids can put around and do nothing and they'll get drafted. Julius Randle, Nerlens Noel, James Young. Get to Kentucky, and bam, some non-playoff team will take you.

Reaction Score
When you look at that top 10, those kids can put around and do nothing and they'll get drafted. Julius Randle, Nerlens Noel, James Young. Get to Kentucky, and bam, some non-playoff team will take you.

NBA teams are not investing millions of dollars in kids based on their "aura." C'mon, now.

Reaction Score
NBA teams are not investing millions of dollars in kids based on their "aura." C'mon, now.

Maybe people are just unlucky drafting Kentucky kids then. You should hope for better than a 50% hit rate in the lottery.

Reaction Score

Whether or not it's true, you can bet that that line of reasoning is a big part of Squid's recruiting pitch, and apparently it's been pretty damn effective.

Reaction Score
Maybe people are just unlucky drafting Kentucky kids then. You should hope for better than a 50% hit rate in the lottery.

50% hit rate in the lottery? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Take a look at the kids that have gone in the lottery from Kentucky under Calipari and explain how you come up with a "50% hit rate." I see Wall, Cousins, Kanter, Knight, Anthony Davis, MKG, Noel, Randle and Young. What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

Reaction Score
50% hit rate in the lottery? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Take a look at the kids that have gone in the lottery from Kentucky under Calipari and explain how you come up with a "50% hit rate." I see Wall, Cousins, Kanter, Knight, Anthony Davis, MKG, Noel, Randle and Young. What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

As I wrote earlier, these kids play so much in the AAU circuit that their skills are very well known. They are in a race to place in that top 10, and once they're there, they walk the walk: press conferences, websites, social media, the right schools. You wrote the NBA invests millions, and yet MKG, Patterson, Teague go early. Young did practically nothing all year. He was a top 10 kid. Bingo, landed with the Celts. Kanter doesn't count since he didn't play and didn't go through the same circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom