Interesting Malik Newman & Diamond Stone Tweet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Malik Newman & Diamond Stone Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
D Stone is the guy I really want from the package, but if they indeed stick together I have absolutely no problem taking on a consensus top 5 combo guard who can literally score at will with explosive athleticism. Getting those 2 in this class would be a dream.

But I will be very satisfied with just a Diamond.

Also, just realized 2 people said "5 months" till he commits in this thread. Its actually more like 3 months and 3 weeks considering its July 21st :p So its not as far away as some might think.
I agree, IBB. Between the two, adding the big, Stone, fills the greater need since we'll still have a lot of talented guards on the team in 2015/16.

Also, elite freshman guards that teams heavily rely on tend to shoot their team out of tournament at some point along the way. For that reason if we're going to add a one or even two-and-done type player, I'd prefer it to be a big than a guard. Bigs don't have the ball in their hands nearly as much as the guards, so the issue where an elite player is trying to showcase his abilities to gain some NBA Draft traction, is less damaging from a Big than it is from a guard.

UConn is not going to attract the type of elite recruit that expects to be playing 35 to 40 minutes right out of the chute. But if a guard like Newman is willing to work hard and compete for PT with a bunch of other talented guards, UConn would be a great destination. No matter how good he is, KO is going to give guards such as Purvis, Samuel, Cassell and even Calhoun (if he bounces back), PT if they prove they can be productive. UConn will never be like UK where the Squid will give most of the PT to his favored freshman.

Bottom line, Experience usually wins out, assuming the talent is there. I'd love to see KO recruit the right mix of talent, most who will stick around 3 to 4 years. I'm okay with one or two short-timers, but based on what I've witnessed since I've been following college hoops, rarely does a team led by a freshman PG and/or backcourt have the maturity to be the last team standing.

Reaction Score
Also, just realized 2 people said "5 months" till he commits in this thread. Its actually more like 3 months and 3 weeks considering its July 21st :p So its not as far away as some might think.
So that means 16 more weeks of Stone threads

I believe in the package deal. Newman has been the one who has been constantly saying that the package deal was definitely gonna happen. He seems to really like the spotlight, so I wouldn't be shocked if he's been setting this up now so once Stone commits everyone will be talking about whether or not Newman completes the package.

And what, is Newman really gonna pass up playing with Stone at a high-level program and compete for a championship just to play where his dad did at Mississippi frickin State?

C

Chief00

My prediction - Stone to UConn and Newman probably somewhere else - perhaps UK. If he did a visit and liked it perhaps that could change things - but he may be more comfortable down South.

Reaction Score
So that means 16 more weeks of Stone threads

I believe in the package deal. Newman has been the one who has been constantly saying that the package deal was definitely gonna happen. He seems to really like the spotlight, so I wouldn't be shocked if he's been setting this up now so once Stone commits everyone will be talking about whether or not Newman completes the package.

And what, is Newman really gonna pass up playing with Stone at a high-level program and compete for a championship just to play where his dad did at Mississippi frickin State?

Possibly. Talk is he is intrigued by the idea. Could be wrong. Ask him on twitter haha

Reaction Score
Possibly. Talk is he is intrigued by the idea. Could be wrong. Ask him on twitter haha
Let's flip it around. If all his recruitment he was saying he was a strong lean for Mississippi State, like 100% gonna happen, and then "talk" circulated that he's "intrigued" by the idea of starting a package deal, presumably somewhere else, which would you go with right now?

But I won't forget that these are high school dudes in the end

Reaction Score
I agree, IBB. Between the two, adding the big, Stone, fills the greater need since we'll still have a lot of talented guards on the team in 2015/16.

Also, elite freshman guards that teams heavily rely on tend to shoot their team out of tournament at some point along the way. For that reason if we're going to add a one or even two-and-done type player, I'd prefer it to be a big than a guard. Bigs don't have the ball in their hands nearly as much as the guards, so the issue where an elite player is trying to showcase his abilities to gain some NBA Draft traction, is less damaging from a Big than it is from a guard.

UConn is not going to attract the type of elite recruit that expects to be playing 35 to 40 minutes right out of the chute. But if a guard like Newman is willing to work hard and compete for PT with a bunch of other talented guards, UConn would be a great destination. No matter how good he is, KO is going to give guards such as Purvis, Samuel, Cassell and even Calhoun (if he bounces back), PT if they prove they can be productive. UConn will never be like UK where the Squid will give most of the PT to his favored freshman.

Bottom line, Experience usually wins out, assuming the talent is there. I'd love to see KO recruit the right mix of talent, most who will stick around 3 to 4 years. I'm okay with one or two short-timers, but based on what I've witnessed since I've been following college hoops, rarely does a team led by a freshman PG and/or backcourt have the maturity to be the last team standing.

I think this board too often labels highly ranked recruits as entitled or lazy, when a kid's recruiting ranking has little to do with how good a kid someone is. Not saying that's what you're necessarily saying here, but I've seen that notion bandied about on here in the past. UConn's had a few bad apples who were highly ranked, and a few that weren't highly ranked. I don't think it really matters. In fact, almost all of the recent "one and done" players in years past have been lauded as being good kids who work hard and are good teammates.

But I totally agree with your point about freshmen point guards. Unless you have an incredible talent like Anthony Davis or Carmelo Anthony, freshmen PG's just don't win in March.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of all this Newman and Stone talk.
I'll be Stunned, Shocked, and Awed..
If they Both don't wind up in Kentucky.

I would be absolutely THRILLED, to have them Both at Uconn.
I just don't see it ever happening.

Reaction Score
Anyone else's stomach do a backflip at the 20 minutes tweet? That can't be a coincidence! The mojo is strong! ;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You know what's funny is I just got home from the Yankee game tonight and people kept telling me the "Yanks will get another hit in 20 minutes…."
Damn they lied…….

That's like waiting for only 3 at bats. A high risk call there.

Reaction Score
These package deals seem to fall apart as time goes on. I don't have any information at all but my prediction is Newman to Kentucky and UConn has about a 50% chance to land Stone. Wisconsin could end up being our biggest hurdle for Stone.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
These package deals seem to fall apart as time goes on. I don't have any information at all but my prediction is Newman to Kentucky and UConn has about a 50% chance to land Stone. Wisconsin could end up being our biggest hurdle for Stone.

Would really suck to lose a top 5 recruit to Wisconsin. Don't know why, but something about that just doesn't sit right for me.

Reaction Score
You know what's funny is I just got home from the Yankee game tonight and people kept telling me the "Yanks will get another hit in 20 minutes…."

Damn they lied…….
You needed Poppy in the lineup. 2 HRs last night and he was certified drug free by the Sox team doctor.:)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You needed Poppy in the lineup. 2 HRs last night and he was certified drug free by the Sox team doctor.:)

Everybody homered last night. Everybody hit. Except Pedroia.

If Pedey and Papi get going along with all the kids, this could be a good team.

Reaction Score
Would really suck to lose a top 5 recruit to Wisconsin. Don't know why, but something about that just doesn't sit right for me.
Wisconsin is great school. On a beautiful lake, outstanding academics , incredible bar scene and social life. The advantage UConn has is basketball but every other category Wisconsin easily trumps us.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wisconsin is great school. On a beautiful lake, outstanding academics , incredible bar scene and social life. The advantage UConn has is basketball but every other category Wisconsin easily trumps us.

I'm talking about rep and standing as a basketball school. And we have a better practice facility. At least I hope we do.

Reaction Score

And Stone is from there of course...now losing Enoch to a school like Wisconsin would really sting

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't need to have top elite guards on his team. There are so many good ones out there,

He is the ultimate makeup kit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't need to have top elite guards on his team. There are so many good ones out there,

He is the ultimate makeup kit.

Yeah but, it helps. (cough) Shabazz....(cough) Boatright

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yeah but, it helps. (cough) Shabazz....(cough) Boatright
That's what i was thinking. We had the best guard in the country and possible the best back court in the entire country. I believe that qualifies as "elite".

Reaction Score
That's what i was thinking. We had the best guard in the country and possible the best back court in the entire country. I believe that qualifies as "elite".

I think he means elite out of high school. Bazz and Boat were both really good out of high school and we were lucky enough to have them here for 4 years to develop into elite.

Reaction Score
That's what i was thinking. We had the best guard in the country and possible the best back court in the entire country. I believe that qualifies as "elite".[/QUOTE

Sorry. Meant recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69