If we get Gibbs--is this the best team Uconn has ever had on paper? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If we get Gibbs--is this the best team Uconn has ever had on paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If Gibbs really does transfer here, and I feel like that's really likely, I'd think Adams has to come off the bench. This would really transform next year's team. Adams as a sixth man is a pretty spectacular weapon, and Omar as the 7th man should be plenty good enough. If any one of Facey/Nolan/Enoch is good enough to be a regular rotation big, this could be a Final Four team.
My thoughts exactly. Dangerous.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Smh, we get one of these dumb posts in every thread.... Where's my boy @Stairmaster, he's usually the culprit ;)

Btw, since Gibbs hasn't even signed yet, way to f up the mojo

Dooooooomed

Thanks for the shout. Certain powers that be don't like it when I poke fun at the chicken little crowd, and I care first and foremost about preserving my ability to continue posting here.

I think that no matter who Ollie brings in, the fan base will always bear the sting of getting rejected. We are going to here many cries for D. Stone, C. Clarke, T. Mack, and D. Jones throughout next season; the first time one of them drops 20, the first time another hits a buzzer-beater, etc.

That being said, I'm pissing myself laughing picturing the comments on a hypothetical Courant article about Gibbs committing. Some schmo there compared Shonn Miller to a "6-4 grad transfer from the Coast Guard Academy".

Reaction Score
Thanks for the shout. Certain powers that be don't like it when I poke fun at the chicken little crowd, and I care first and foremost about preserving my ability to continue posting here.

It doesn't come off as "poking fun" as much as being reflexively passive aggressive. As soon as someone mentions a concern about recruiting you (and others) immediately say "You're right, the sky is falling" and then Fleudslipcon claps his hands with delight.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It doesn't come off as "poking fun" as much as being reflexively passive aggressive. As soon as someone mentions a concern about recruiting you (and others) immediately say "You're right, the sky is falling" and then Fleudslipcon claps his hands with delight.

You're just as infuriated by people disagreeing with you and saying "no, you're overreacting in my opinion". It's like we can't win -- we agree with you and say that recruiting is duck*ed, we're being "reflexively passive aggressive", and if we disagree with you then we're hopelessly optimistic and not grounded in reality. Pick one.

Reaction Score
Hey I'm not saying a lot of those teams weren't great but this team would be right around top 10 if they get GIBBS. Now if they don't get GIBBS I agree there is no comparison. I still think the 11-12 team followed by the 03-04 teams were the most talented. I like the mid 90's teams also but they were too undersized up front.

This team with Gibbs should be good, but I'd still take a mid 90s era team with Ray on it and only having 3-5 losses in that era than this team with Gibbs in a much more watered down era.

I'd just be happy to see them get back to the tourney and avoid the 8-9 matchup next year. 16-17 (if Danny stays) is when this team can potentially be GREAT.

Reaction Score

Except for one stinker--Purvis averaged 19.3 points close to 4 rebounds and 2 assists his last 7 games--and he showed end to end explosion a better three point shot and above the rim play. I expect we will see something closer to this and this level of play is NBA 1st round.

Amida is a top 40 pick in this draft-he'll be 15-25 next year iF healthy.

Enoch and Adams have all the prototypical size and talents of NBA players. This is no9t a case where a guy is 6-4 when touted as 6-8. Enoch is all of 6-10.5 with long arms and growing. His curve is going to be straight up--I thought the first year Boone example was great. Adams ==easy future 1st round pick.

Miller reminds me a lot of drey green--maybe not flashy and not quite as big as Green but not far behind. Hes the main reason why I think were going to be great.
Miller reminds you of Draymond Green? That's one of the most ridiculous and funny observations in boneyard history. Scrappy, you remind me of William Shakespeare.

Reaction Score
You're just as infuriated by people disagreeing with you and saying "no, you're overreacting in my opinion". It's like we can't win -- we agree with you and say that recruiting is duck*ed, we're being "reflexively passive aggressive", and if we disagree with you then we're hopelessly optimistic and not grounded in reality. Pick one.

First of all, it's a message board, so I'm not "infuriated" by anything that happens on here.

Second, your point is demonstrably wrong. You seem like a reasonably bright person, do you really not see that there is a range of opinions between "everything is great with respect to recruiting" and "the sky is falling"? It seems like you honestly don't have any idea that this isn't some binary issue.

There is a thread yesterday that perfectly exemplifies this. I pointed out that any criticism of recruiting is met with overreaction and within minutes one of your crew posted the "You know, you're right BigErn, soon UConn will be on the level of Central Florida and the program will disband" or some nonsense like that.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
First of all, it's a message board, so I'm not "infuriated" by anything that happens on here.

Second, your point is demonstrably wrong. You seem like a reasonably bright person, do you really not see that there is a range of opinions between "everything is great with respect to recruiting" and "the sky is falling"? It seems like you honestly don't have any idea that this isn't some binary issue.

There is a thread yesterday that perfectly exemplifies this. I pointed out that any criticism of recruiting is met with overreaction and within minutes one of your crew posted the "You know, you're right BigErn, soon UConn will be on the level of Central Florida and the program will disband" or some nonsense like that.

It's perfectly fine to criticize recruiting in comparison to where it's been in the past. I read up on my history enough to know that the best Calhoun classes we had were significantly more loaded than anything we've gotten thus far. My issue comes with the urgency that your "crew" has. There's also a difference between being concerned and demanding that some combination of G. Miller/K. Hobbs/R. Moore be given pink slips or some Barry Rohrssen-esque guy be automatically placed on staff. Very few of us here have an exact handle on what exactly is going on with our recruiting on a coach-to-prospect level; we can't demonstrably say that with a different guy holding down one of the spots on our staff, we would've gotten Stone/Clarke/Mack/Jones.

I don't think everything is 100% rosy, and I wish that we had gotten more of the prospects that we chased this year. I would feel considerably better about our short-term and long-term future if we had. But things have unarguably gotten better since KO first stepped in, and that's something that doesn't get acknowledged nearly often enough. Expecting that a sense of stasis would be maintained when going from a Hall of Fame coach to a relative neophyte was unrealistic on the part of some. I have more to say about expectations, but I'll keep that to myself as I prepare to get flamed for what I've said here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
By cracky McCracky. I lean with the more optimistic group regarding recruiting. I think it's premature to discount the APR and coaching transition in the last two recruiting periods.

But I don't clap my hands when people make passive aggressive digs about recruiting towards the more pessimistic group of posters. Love your passive aggressive swipe at me BTW. Deserved it for saying you should have your name changed.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I think that no matter who Ollie brings in, the fan base will always bear the sting of getting rejected. We are going to here many cries for D. Stone, C. Clarke, T. Mack, and D. Jones throughout next season; the first time one of them drops 20, the first time another hits a buzzer-beater, etc.

That being said, I'm pissing myself laughing picturing the comments on a hypothetical Courant article about Gibbs committing. Some schmo there compared Shonn Miller to a "6-4 grad transfer from the Coast Guard Academy".

The good people that run this site are so good natured they didn't ban me when I asked them too.

You'd be a 100000-1 shot at getting banned.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
G: Gibbs, Samuel
G: Purvis, Adams, Cassell
G/F: Hamilton, Calhoun
F: Miller, Facey, Enoch
C: Brimah, Nolan

My god...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
G: Gibbs, Samuel
G: Purvis, Adams, Cassell
G/F: Hamilton, Calhoun
F: Miller, Facey, Enoch
C: Brimah, Nolan

My god...
More like:

Gibbs, Adams
Purvis, Adams
Hamilton, Purvis
Miller, Hamilton, Facey
Brimah, Nolan

Early season spot min for omar, Enoch, tsam, Sam I am.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
More like:

Gibbs, Adams
Purvis, Adams
Hamilton, Purvis
Miller, Hamilton, Facey
Brimah, Nolan

Early season spot min for omar, Enoch, tsam, Sam I am.
Enoch always has to get play unless he is terrible. He needs to develop.
Calhoun should always get a heat check for three ball.

Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus. Draymond Green put up 12 and 8 in the Western Conference this year. You are shooting way too high with these.

Let me guess, Terrence Samuel is the next Chris Paul and Kentan Facey is LaMarcus Aldridge?
Go look at dray greens stats at Michigan state and get back to me.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They'd have a shot at making the playoffs out of the Eastern Conference I'll say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom