If we get Gibbs--is this the best team Uconn has ever had on paper? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If we get Gibbs--is this the best team Uconn has ever had on paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, I was just pointing out on paper that team definitely looked better than what we have coming in this year. The OP did say on paper the best team.

Fair enough then you are correct.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 86
Reaction Score
If you have a belief that

A Hamilton is a top 5 pick
Maybe if he stays 2 years, but definitely not after next season

B Purvis is a first round pick
With 2 more years...maybe

C Amida is first round pick
On potential but still really needs all 4 years

D Jalen Adams is a future lottery pick
Key word, future

E Enosch is a future nBA player
Enoch. And as of now he's basically facey 2.0 coming in until proven otherwise

F Shonn Miller is a future 2nd round nBA pick
more likely to go the way of Jeff adrien
Then we have a darn good team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have come to the conclusion that for too many fans, UConn's history doesn't go back very far.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
I recall Williams being more of a facilitator than a scorer. I'd put Moore on Rashad Anderson and Williams was plenty quick enough to guard Khalid. El-Amin would also have a hard time putting up that little floater in the lane as well with Boone and Armstrong both very capable of guarding the rim. The difference between the two teams, IMO, was in the post. The 2006 team was bigger and a bit more athletic, but a little too much finesse. The 1999 teams could bruise it up and still play Hamilton on the wing.

The offense ran entirely through MW, so Ricky would be used to "cut off the head of the dragon", which was his specialty. It wasn't necessarily to lock down the best scorer, it was to stop the other team from running it's offense through the channels it wanted to go. Putting him on Rashad, who never had the ball in his hands other than to catch and shoot, would be a waste.

Trying to get a bucket on the 1999 team in crunch time was like trying to get through a pack of lions to a wildebeest carcass. By contrast, the 2006 team let Gerry McNamara simply step into a clean look at a tying three and couldn't stop George Mason once. To get a little sidetracked, I've noticed a trend here on the yard where 1999 is getting less and less respect over time in threads like this. This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, but maybe we have too many yarders now too young to remember watching them, who are only looking at NBA success beyond to gauge how talented they were. The 1999 team lost only one game when it had at least four starters. They beat a pair of two seeds on the road (SJU, Stanford) in back to back weekends, the second time without Rip. They won both the BET and the NCAA with signature performances - "they pimped us, yo" and "we shocked the world". The 2006 team was just 3-2 in the postseason and struggled for the 3 wins they did get. The signature win of 2006 was either getting the split with Nova at home (1999 also beat a 1 seed at home thoroughly when Michigan State visited) or Gonzaga at a neutral site. There's absolutely nothing that 2006 has over 1999, other than an edge on players who had cups of coffee in the NBA (4 to 2). Even there, Rip had a better NBA career than Rudy, Voskuhl lasted longer than Boone or Hilton, and KEA and MW are pretty much a wash, although MW's wash lasted slightly longer.

I think the 1999 v 2004 debate is an excellent one. The 2004 team was a two seed, but injury issues contributed to that, and they reached a wrecking ball level in the tourney that none of our other teams have. I still have a hard time betting against 1999 though. That team just was so cohesive and it simply won games.

Reaction Score
I don't think Im way off in anyway--I think next year is a validation year and we are going to be great. Last years team was hurt with inconsistency because we had a lack of scoring from the 4 position. It just put too much pressure up and down the line up--you put Daniels on that team and we wouldve been a contender with his 17-9-2.--everyone wouldve had more spacing and we wouldve scored 10 more points game with a better brand of defense.

Now we HAVE a Daniels type back and while he may not be as pure and consistent 3 point shooter as Daniels--he's everything else and more with all the rest of the mobile 4 skills. We lose Boatright and thats big loss BUT we bring in a bigger just as athletic PG who seems like he is a big winner--brings a winning mentality and I think will have similar characteristics of what Jones had for Duke. If you look at the entire 2015 NBA draft--is there 1 PG who plays like Adams? I mean an above the rim triple threat PG? Did anyone watch Purvis curve towards the end of the season--his play looks like it can be incredible--we have seen the Ferrari and Hamilton is also a budding superstar--a guy who at 6-8 has PG skills and can get his own shot at will---but still is a team player and ball mover. We have size all over our frontcourt--we must have a top 5 rim protector--maybe top 3 or even 1?? Maybe Lee from Kentucky and that 7-5 kid from UCD? but Amida is right there. IF we get Gibbs--then were on a different plateau--he would be the difference between a team that has top 10 potential to top 3. Forget hype--this is going to be a great team and we have some rel talent on it. Big athletic and skilled all over.

Reaction Score
I recall Williams being more of a facilitator than a scorer. I'd put Moore on Rashad Anderson and Williams was plenty quick enough to guard Khalid.

El-Amin would also have a hard time putting up that little floater in the lane as well with Boone and Armstrong both very capable of guarding the rim. The difference between the two teams, IMO, was in the post. The 2006 team was bigger and a bit more athletic, but a little too much finesse. The 1999 teams could bruise it up and still play Hamilton on the wing.

If you put Moore on Williams, it compromises the entire offense. That's why Moore so often covered the other team's point guard that year. I remember him manhandling Vonteego Cummings and Mateen Cleaves within a few weeks of each other, and both teams saw their offense really struggle. Rashad Anderson isn't getting those open looks if Williams is struggling to get past Moore.

Reaction Score
I don't think Im way off in anyway--I think next year is a validation year and we are going to be great. Last years team was hurt with inconsistency because we had a lack of scoring from the 4 position. It just put too much pressure up and down the line up--you put Daniels on that team and we wouldve been a contender with his 17-9-2.--everyone wouldve had more spacing and we wouldve scored 10 more points game with a better brand of defense.

Now we HAVE a Daniels type back and while he may not be as pure and consistent 3 point shooter as Daniels--he's everything else and more with all the rest of the mobile 4 skills. We lose Boatright and thats big loss BUT we bring in a bigger just as athletic PG who seems like he is a big winner--brings a winning mentality and I think will have similar characteristics of what Jones had for Duke. If you look at the entire 2015 NBA draft--is there 1 PG who plays like Adams? I mean an above the rim triple threat PG? Did anyone watch Purvis curve towards the end of the season--his play looks like it can be incredible--we have seen the Ferrari and Hamilton is also a budding superstar--a guy who at 6-8 has PG skills and can get his own shot at will---but still is a team player and ball mover. We have size all over our frontcourt--we must have a top 5 rim protector--maybe top 3 or even 1?? Maybe Lee from Kentucky and that 7-5 kid from UCD? but Amida is right there. IF we get Gibbs--then were on a different plateau--he would be the difference between a team that has top 10 potential to top 3. Forget hype--this is going to be a great team and we have some rel talent on it. Big athletic and skilled all over.
Nobody is saying we won't have talent and can be considered a pretty good team going into next year. Though there are too many variables as we are going to still need to have guys develop to reach their potential(AB, RP and DHAM). Definitely posters aren't getting carried away saying this is the most talented team we have ever had at UCONN on paper like you. It is nice to be optimistic but can you at least make a reasonable post and not one just to get hits.

Remember we just missed the tourney and we lost the heart and soul of the team. We really don't know what kind of team we will have as far as chemistry next year. Definitely on paper even with Gibbs they probably aren't even in the top 5 greatest UCONN all time teams as far as pure talent. We have had some great teams at UCONN as far as talent under JC.

Reaction Score
Nobody is saying we won't have talent and can be considered a pretty good team going into next year. Though there are too many variables as we are going to still need to have guys develop to reach their potential(AB, RP and DHAM). Definitely posters aren't getting carried away saying this is the most talented team we have ever had at UCONN on paper like you. It is nice to be optimistic but can you at least make a reasonable post and not one just to get hits.

Remember we just missed the tourney and we lost the hear and soul of the team. We really don't know what kind of team we will have as far as chemistry next year. Definitely on paper even with Gibbs they probably aren't even in the top 5.
You dont know that-- just by itself the Adams Purvis combination will be the most athletic tandem and if we consider Hamilton a 3rd guard--it might be the best backcourt we have ever had talent wise.(Gibbs locks it as the best)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think Im way off in anyway--
Well as long as you don't think so...

The offense ran entirely through MW, so Ricky would be used to "cut off the head of the dragon", which was his specialty. It wasn't necessarily to lock down the best scorer, it was to stop the other team from running it's offense through the channels it wanted to go. Putting him on Rashad, who never had the ball in his hands other than to catch and shoot, would be a waste.

Trying to get a bucket on the 1999 team in crunch time was like trying to get through a pack of lions to a wildebeest carcass. By contrast, the 2006 team let Gerry McNamara simply step into a clean look at a tying three and couldn't stop George Mason once. To get a little sidetracked, I've noticed a trend here on the yard where 1999 is getting less and less respect over time in threads like this. This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, but maybe we have too many yarders now too young to remember watching them, who are only looking at NBA success beyond to gauge how talented they were. The 1999 team lost only one game when it had at least four starters. They beat a pair of two seeds on the road (SJU, Stanford) in back to back weekends, the second time without Rip. They won both the BET and the NCAA with signature performances - "they pimped us, yo" and "we shocked the world". The 2006 team was just 3-2 in the postseason and struggled for the 3 wins they did get. The signature win of 2006 was either getting the split with Nova at home (1999 also beat a 1 seed at home thoroughly when Michigan State visited) or Gonzaga at a neutral site. There's absolutely nothing that 2006 has over 1999, other than an edge on players who had cups of coffee in the NBA (4 to 2). Even there, Rip had a better NBA career than Rudy, Voskuhl lasted longer than Boone or Hilton, and KEA and MW are pretty much a wash, although MW's wash lasted slightly longer.

I think the 1999 v 2004 debate is an excellent one. The 2004 team was a two seed, but injury issues contributed to that, and they reached a wrecking ball level in the tourney that none of our other teams have. I still have a hard time betting against 1999 though. That team just was so cohesive and it simply won games.

Good points, all. For the record, I love the '99 team. That was my Senior year and Kevin Freeman is my favorite Husky of all time. I just remember the 2006 team as being an offensive juggernaut. Must be my old age. The 2006 team is marginally fresher in my mind.

Reaction Score
You dont know that-- just by itself the Adams Purvis combination will be the most athletic tandem and if we consider Hamilton a 3rd guard--it might be the best backcourt we have ever had talent wise.(Gibbs locks it as the best)
LOL. Right now RP still has a way to develop his game especially dribbling and being more consistent on offense. Dham isn't a guard and JA is a freshman even if he is highly touted one. You really don't think SN, RB and JL was more talented on paper or how about our front line? There is no way AB, SE, PN, KF and Miller front line seem that imposing right now. I mean AB can block some shots but that is it and Miller still has to adjust to high level basketball and KF and PN are really just 5 fouls at this point. SE is the one variable as we haven't seen him but he does look a little weak on D at the high school level. I rather have EO, JB, CV and HA frontline all day long. Or even keeping it on one team I still would rather have AD, DD, NG, AO, RS, EW, and TO frontline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2006 is the best team we've ever had on paper, especially when you count AJ Price.

Other teams were better on the court.

Next year's team, even with Gibbs, is maybe the 10th or 11th best team on paper in the last 25 years.

Reaction Score

Remind us again about your Lubin prediction.

Reaction Score
2006 is the best team we've ever had on paper, especially when you count AJ Price.

Next year's team, even with Gibbs, is maybe the 10th or 11th best team on paper in the last 25 years.
I think 2012 was better as far as talent. Front court they could match them and the back court had SN, JL and RB. Now that team was a huge let down. 2006 needed another guard to handle and create the offense so bad.

I think though as far as realized talent I would have to go with the 2003-2004 team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Why would we count AJ Price?

And I think the talent on that team has become slightly overrated. I would not put that team over 2003-04 on paper, though I do that they had more talent than the '99 team.

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
2006 is the best team we've ever had on paper, especially when you count AJ Price. Other teams were better on the court. Next year's team, even with Gibbs, is maybe the 10th or 11th best team on paper in the last 25 years.

I still take 1994 on paper. Ray Allen came off the bench, while Donyell was having a first-team A-A season. That's two of our out all time college greats on one team (should both be in our all time staring 5, but Donyell sometimes gets left off due to some Florida backlash). Nobody on 2006 come close (I like Rudy, but he fell short of college greatness).

Travis was on the bench too, while Donny and KO were NBA guys starting. I also believe Sheffer would have stuck in the NBA if he wanted to, but that's just a guess.

Reaction Score
If you have a belief that

A Hamilton is a top 5 pick
B Purvis is a first round pick
C Amida is first round pick

D Jalen Adams is a future lottery pick
E Enosch is a future nBA player
F Shonn Miller is a future 2nd round nBA pick

Then we have a darn good team.

B Not even close
C LoL
E ENOCH! Good lord for the last time
F No

Reaction Score
B Not even close
C LoL
E ENOCH! Good lord for the last time
F No

Except for one stinker--Purvis averaged 19.3 points close to 4 rebounds and 2 assists his last 7 games--and he showed end to end explosion a better three point shot and above the rim play. I expect we will see something closer to this and this level of play is NBA 1st round.

Amida is a top 40 pick in this draft-he'll be 15-25 next year iF healthy.

Enoch and Adams have all the prototypical size and talents of NBA players. This is no9t a case where a guy is 6-4 when touted as 6-8. Enoch is all of 6-10.5 with long arms and growing. His curve is going to be straight up--I thought the first year Boone example was great. Adams ==easy future 1st round pick.

Miller reminds me a lot of drey green--maybe not flashy and not quite as big as Green but not far behind. Hes the main reason why I think were going to be great.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Miller reminds me a lot of drey green--maybe not flashy and not quite as big as Green but not far behind. Hes the main reason why I think were going to be great.

Sweet Jesus. Draymond Green put up 12 and 8 in the Western Conference this year. You are shooting way too high with these.

Let me guess, Terrence Samuel is the next Chris Paul and Kentan Facey is LaMarcus Aldridge?

Reaction Score

The Ivy League transfer is not far behind a kid who's looking at max money this offseason and is one of the critical pieces of arguably the best team in the NBA?

Reaction Score

Except for one stinker--Purvis averaged 19.3 points close to 4 rebounds and 2 assists his last 7 games--and he showed end to end explosion a better three point shot and above the rim play. I expect we will see something closer to this and this level of play is NBA 1st round.

Amida is a top 40 pick in this draft-he'll be 15-25 next year iF healthy.

Enoch and Adams have all the prototypical size and talents of NBA players. This is no9t a case where a guy is 6-4 when touted as 6-8. Enoch is all of 6-10.5 with long arms and growing. His curve is going to be straight up--I thought the first year Boone example was great. Adams ==easy future 1st round pick.

Purvis had a historically inconsistent season and doesn't have the coveted length that NBA teams drool over. He is not even close to a first rounder at this point

I can't find any draft board that has Amida in the top 100 prospects this year and I don't know if you've watched this season but the NBA isn't exactly looking for Big men who have zero rebounding instincts and spotty post games.

Really?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. So we can't speculate on this board on who might transfer from UConn but we can dedicate pages on someone who on record has only stated that he was returning to Seton Hall?
Correct.

Reaction Score
If Gibbs were to transfer here it would be one of only a handful of UConn teams over the years where 7 or so different guys could average 10 or more points a game(not all at the same time of course) depending on their role in the offense. Similar to '09 in that regard.

But there still needs to be big improvement in several areas to call this team even close to a top 5 UConn team on paper. Last year's team had way too many games where they would struggle to score 60 points.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Purvis had a historically inconsistent season and doesn't have the coveted length that NBA teams drool over. He is not even close to a first rounder at this point

I can't find any draft board that has Amida in the top 100 prospects this year and I don't know if you've watched this season but the NBA isn't exactly looking for Big men who have zero rebounding instincts and spotty post games.

Really?
To be fair, we had a wildly inconsistent player string 7 in a row to end his Sophomore campaign, a year later he put 6 together and we won a title. I can't remember if Deandre went in the first or 2nd though, it was right on the edge there.

And Amida has been on some top 50 draft boards, for whatever those are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom