If we get Gibbs--is this the best team Uconn has ever had on paper? | The Boneyard

If we get Gibbs--is this the best team Uconn has ever had on paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weve had some really great teams--some of the teams that did not win championships had more talent man for man than some that did.

But this team next year might just be a freak team.

I think last years team was a good team that didnt play all the way to its potential for a variety of reasons. But I think ultimately the loss of Daniels in addition to the guys we lost was just to much changeover--especially from the offense.

I may be by myself--but I'm a huge believer in Brimah. It looked like he ran out of gas end of season--Ollie wasnt thrilled with him--but he's a guy who can dominate games on the defense by HIMSELF. We had that before with Okafor but I think Amida--now with the ability to put some muscle/power on and hone his game--may be a stronger rim protector than even Oak. Then we add in Miller at PF who was one of the best defenders in the nation at PF and you throw in the rather lengthy Hamilton who was an incredible re-bounder--and you have the making of an incredibly lengthy athletic frontline that will have much more balance than it had this year. Then our back ups 6-10 Nolan 6-11 Enosch 6-9 Facey--the team is just enormous upfront almost like Kentucky was in some respects this year. And guys like Facey Calhuon Nolan and Samuel are due for a level up in play. If we get Gibbs--look at our backcourt--we could start Gibbs and Purvis and rotate them with Adams and Samuel. A combination of athleticism experience 3 point shooting that I think Duke had this year. The n finish it off with a role player like Calhoun --I mean think about it!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Literally zero indication that Gibbs is leaving Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
It's not crazy to think this given the depth we would have, but that '06 team with 4 guys going in the first round still probably takes it. I get that on this current roster we have at least 5 guys that will most likely get drafted, but a few of them are unknowns, so until we see the team in action i for sure can't give them that title.

Reaction Score
Weve had some really great teams--some of the teams that did not win championships had more talent man for man than some that did.

I think last years team was a good team that didnt play all the way to its potential for a variety of reasons. But I think ultimately the loss of Daniels in addition to the guys we lost was just to much changeover--especially from the offense.

I may be by myself--but I'm a huge believer in Brimah. It looked like he ran out of gas end of season--Ollie wasnt thrilled with him--but he's a guy who can dominate games on the defense by HIMSELF. We had that before with Okafor but I think Amida--now with the ability to put some muscle/power on and hone his game--may be a stronger rim protector than even Oak. Then we add in Miller at PF who was one of the best defenders in the nation at PF and you throw in the rather lengthy Hamilton who was an incredible re-bounder--and you have the making of an incredibly lengthy athletic frontline that will have much more balance than it had this year. Then our back ups 6-10 Nolan 6-11 Enosch 6-9 Facey--the team is just enormous upfront almost like Kentucky was in some respects this year. And guys like Facey Calhuon Nolan and Samuel are due for a level up in play. If we get Gibbs--look at our backcourt--we could start Gibbs and Purvis and rotate them with Adams and Samuel. A combination of athleticism experience 3 point shooting that I think Duke had this year. The n finish it off with a role player like Calhoun --I mean think about it!

No.

Reaction Score
John-Krasinski-no.gif

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

That's the first response to this thread?

Also, you're a year late. Everyone knows the best teams we've ever had come a year after a title when lose our best player (s).

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The team has a chance to make a run in the tourney if it stays healthy and finds another guard.

Reaction Score
Probably one of those gawdy mid-2000s teams or 2012 coming off two monster recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
Agreed. So we can't speculate on this board on who might transfer from UConn but we can dedicate pages on someone who on record has only stated that he was returning to Seton Hall?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That's the first response to this thread?

Also, you're a year late. Everyone knows the best teams we've ever had come a year after a title when lose our best player (s).
What else would be? Should we paint fairy tales about a team with a kid who has said nothing but that he's returning to SH? Also '10 is the year I started as a freshman at UConn, not graduated, so I actually was a student for 2 titles, how about you?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What else would be? Should we paint fairy tales about a team with a kid who has said nothing but that he's returning to SH? Also '10 is the year I started as a freshman at UConn, not graduated, so I actually was a student for 2 titles, how about you?

I am guessing he meant it's not even close to being the case even if Gibbs transferred to UConn.

Reaction Score
Maybe the best team Ollie has had. But I can think of half a dozen Calhoun teams that would be better.

Reaction Score

You have to be trolling at this point?

Reaction Score
OP no way! Get off your high horse! Even with Gibbs we aren't more talentecd than than the 2011-12 team with Drummond on paper. Though they never gelled due to chemistry issues that team was super talented when you think RB was coming off the bench and DD was a barely used PF-SF. You aren't even talking about the 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 teams that surely had more talent on paper. This without even talking about the 90's teams with Ray and the Marshall brothers. Your post was pure nonsense!!!!

Now what I will say if we can get Gibbs we might have the right chemistry to make some serious noise in the NCAA tournament if all our guys develop and JA is as advertised.

Reaction Score
You could add all 3 Gibbs brothers and the answer would still be a resounding no.

Go take a gander at the guys we brought off the bench in 2004.

Or 99. Saunders would start for many other teams we've had as of late and been a star.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not one nanosecond thinking about it scrappy. But given the prevalent number of people spewing venom towards a multitude of subjects including the team, the players and other posters and given the constant negativity and pessimism, I love your enthusiasm. You are UConn's version of RutgersAl.

Reaction Score
If you have a belief that

A Hamilton is a top 5 pick
B Purvis is a first round pick
C Amida is first round pick
D Jalen Adams is a future lottery pick
E Enosch is a future nBA player
F Shonn Miller is a future 2nd round nBA pick
Then we have a darn good team.

Reaction Score
If you have a belief that

A Hamilton is a top 5 pick
B Purvis is a first round pick
C Amida is first round pick
D Jalen Adams is a future lottery pick
E Enosch is a future nBA player
F Shonn Miller is a future 2nd round nBA pick
Then we have a darn good team.
Dham is lottery pick but I don't see top 5. RP is second round pick. AB is second round pick. JA we have never seen. Enosch we have never seen and isn't being highly touted. Shonn Miller will probably be working a white collar job or playing ball in Europe. I don't see this rosy picture that you do. Wow get off the pipe as it is affecting your thinking!

Reaction Score
I think most people only believe some of those.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You could add all 3 Gibbs brothers and the answer would still be a resounding no.

Go take a gander at the guys we brought off the bench in 2004.

Yeah, 2003-04, no question.

It was the strongest team we ever had. A rim-protecting, rebounding, scoring center (Emeka). Boone and Charlie V (and Hilton) provided additional interior defense and rebounding. Two efficient wing scorers, one probably the best shooter we ever had, the other the greatest HS scorer in Canadian history (Rashad and Denham), a do-it-all stud combo guard (Ben), and a tough veteran PG who knew his role (Taliek).

And talent-wise, there were six first-round picks on that team, plus Denham got selected in the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom