I have a feeling Saniya will end up starting over MoJeff. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I have a feeling Saniya will end up starting over MoJeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hate to get into this so late, but you do not move your feet with a set shot, like most foul shots. If your feet leave the ground, it is a jump shot, classic or not, regardless of where the ball is started from. Let's close this thread! LOL!

Don't agree

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ekmark's is a Jump Shot on at least the two I could see. I can't tell on the shot from behind her back. She had the ball up at her eyes and not down at the chin pushing it. She could move it higher and develop even better form.

Hybrid is the best name I can give to what Saniya does because jumping alone does not define a shot as a jump shot. Lay ups, hook shots, sky hooks all involve jumping but are not classic jump shots. Saniya and Maggies shot is properly called a "push shot" according to several sources I found. I didn't know it had a name. Stanford basketball player "Hank" Luisetti is credited with creating the one handed push shot including the small bunny hop in the 1930s. Luisetti twice led the nation in scoring and is in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Sometimes he shot a variation called the running one-handed push shot. Another player from that era with the one handed push shot was Jack Gray.

You did not respond to the video I posted for you of Maya teaching the proper shot. That segment is everything I have been trying to express. The cover photo captures the exact thing I have been describing.

Maggie Lucas does not shoot a jump shot either. Never has. Shoots the ball with a push from the chest and chin. She is deadly it simply isn't a classic Jump Shot, it is a push shot.

Further information from Wikipedia that encompasses the totality of this discussion.

Wikipedia,
"In basketball (and derivatives like netball), a jump shot or jumper is an attempt to score a basket by jumping, usually straight up, and in mid-jump, propelling the ball in an arc into the basket. It is accomplished by the player bringing his or her elbow up until it is aligned with the hoop, then sent towards the hoop in a high arc. It is considered the easiest shot to make from a distance. The purposes of the jump are to shoot from a higher position and therefore make it more difficult for the defender to block. It is also usually accomplished with one hand by the NBA players. It is the most effective in open play but can prove to be hard when there is a taller player in front of the shooter. There also exists another variant of a jump shot by shooting during the upwards movement of the jump to put more power behind the shot, this shot is usually done by woman or players lacking enough force to allow far distance shots. This shot has other advantages like a quicker release and therefore a faster execution time (comparable to the set-shot) and several disadvantages like a lower shooting height and less time for the shooter to aim in comparison to the mid-air jump shot."

Calling it a variant or a hybrid it is not the classic jump shot. That is all I have said from the beginning. Everything else has been attempting to clarify the language.

DD, you are the one worried about being right or wrong. That was never my interest in the subject matter.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So, wat do you call Chong's and Ekmark's long range shot? And 90% of womens long range shots?

Saniya's shot is based on the set shot of Bobby Wanzer (can't find film) he jumped a bit as he shot as did Sharman with one hand but the shot does not involve bring the ball up (if possible) over your head and using the upward momentum plus leg push to gain a huge height advantage a la Moore…which is my definition of a jump shot

Ekmark may be more of a hybrid haven't seen enough.

Reaction Score
The difference is where the elbow is during the shot. The Maya video demonstrates this. Her elbow is even with the top of her shoulder (some players have the elbow even higher when shooting) That is the classic jumper. Saniya does jump on her shot but her elbow isn't shoulder height and is released in front of the body rather than overhead with the arm extended almost vertically. It depends (like almost everything else) on your definitions. I think the majority of women shoot the ball a lot closer to Saniya's form than Maya's

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Are you saying you agree it's not a jump shot for Chong ?
Yes, I would not call that a "jump shot". Somewhere between a set shot and a jump shot. Like I said a push shot.

and Lucas?
I really can't comment on Lucas, haven't really seen her shoot. Don't really care to.

Reaction Score
My apologies for keeping this thread alive but my opinion is that Maya, DT, and KML all shoot the jump shot like guys do. Many college women shoot it like Saniya and Tiff. They don't shoot it like guys do. As other have noted the only thing that counts is if it goes in. Sorry if I sound like a misogynist

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My apologies for keeping this thread alive but my opinion is that Maya, DT, and KML all shoot the jump shot like guys do. Many college women shoot it like Saniya and Tiff. They don't shoot it like guys do. As other have noted the only thing that counts is if it goes in. Sorry if I sound like a misogynist
Don't you know? There is only one way to shoot a jump shot.

I know that because I have heard them say "nice push shot" during game broadcasts.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
WTH

I could care less whether it's a jump or a push.

I only care if it goes in or not.

And whether or not we get the rebound if it doesn't !

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
From the ESPN play-by-play. Funny, they didn't call it a 3 point push shot.

12:484-5Saniya Chong made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Bria Hartley.
12:39Chiney Ogwumike made Jumper.6-5
12:286-5Stefanie Dolson missed Three Point Jumper.
12:28Amber Orrange Defensive Rebound.6-5
12:256-5Foul on Saniya Chong.
12:06Mikaela Ruef missed Jumper.6-5
12:066-5Bria Hartley Defensive Rebound.
11:586-8
Saniya Chong made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Bria Hartley.

sTu

Reaction Score
My thought at the moment following Occam's Razor. A set shot is a SET shot and a jump shot is a JUMP shot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
From the ESPN play-by-play. Funny, they didn't call it a 3 point push shot.

12:484-5Saniya Chong made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Bria Hartley.
12:39Chiney Ogwumike made Jumper.6-5
12:286-5Stefanie Dolson missed Three Point Jumper.
12:28Amber Orrange Defensive Rebound.6-5
12:256-5Foul on Saniya Chong.
12:06Mikaela Ruef missed Jumper.6-5
12:066-5Bria Hartley Defensive Rebound.
11:586-8
Saniya Chong made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Bria Hartley.

Not sure that is who you want to cite as an authority. Why not look at how much there has been here for all of us to learn. A lot of good things to know that neither you nor I and I suspect many others knew. It is all good.

Reaction Score
When the defense gets burned enough times because the defense moves out on Saniya and she blows by them for a layup or a dish off to Stef or Stewie, then they will have to give her space, which she will gladly use to shoot the three.

Reaction Score
When the defense gets burned enough times because the defense moves out on Saniya and she blows by them for a layup or a dish off to Stef or Stewie, then they will have to give her space, which she will gladly use to shoot the three.

Well said. chrissaran.

As Geno once said, Saniya has the speed and ability to create her own shot whenever she wants…………wait till the UCONN fans see her step-back shot; or her tear drop floater, with either hand, as she drives to the hoop………..things of beauty!

We Boneyarders have some wonderful times ahead of us, as ALL our girls continue to get better and gain confidence under the wise tutelage of the UCONN coaching staff……………………….keeping my fingers crossed for quick recoveries for Kaleena and Morgan!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well said. chrissaran.

As Geno once said, Saniya has the speed and ability to create her own shot whenever she wants…………wait till the UCONN fans see her step-back shot; or her tear drop floater, with either hand, as she drives to the hoop………..things of beauty!

We Boneyarders have some wonderful times ahead of us, as ALL our girls continue to get better and gain confidence under the wise tutelage of the UCONN coaching staff……………………….keeping my fingers crossed for quick recoveries for Kaleena and Morgan!
Lost in this stupid discussion on whether or not Chong shoots a jumper (she does), is the fact that she is an amazing player. In the short time I have seen her play in college she is making all the same moves I saw in her HS videos. Cross overs, ball fakes, finishing with her left or right, a deadly 3 point jumper, great court vision. She will be forced into more minutes and I think that is a good thing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
oh-lawd2-11.jpg

Reaction Score
Lost in this stupid discussion on whether or not Chong shoots a jumper (she does), is the fact that she is an amazing player. In the short time I have seen her play in college she is making all the same moves I saw in her HS videos. Cross overs, ball fakes, finishing with her left or right, a deadly 3 point jumper, great court vision. She will be forced into more minutes and I think that is a good thing.

As Saniya gains more confidence, and the coaching staff grows more confident with her on the court, the UCONN faithful are in for a real treat! Amazing drives to the basket with either hand, accurate bullet passes from out of nowhere, nothing but net from the parking lot, and 110 % effort on both sides of the ball………… And when Saniya absorbs all the UCONN defensive schemes, her quick/speedy feet and hands will have more than their share of deflections and steals (and rebounds and blocks for a 5’8” guard).

Will Saniya ever have a bad game?? Sure she will. I’ve seen her fire up air balls, throw passes to nobody and off walls and charge into defenders……… but, as Geno says, she’s not afraid of anything………..and that’s how you learn…..by making mistakes…and that’s how you get better….by failing, and trying again.

I believe all the UCONN faithful will really enjoy watching Saniya grow as a player, and as a person, in her four years at UCONN.

Reaction Score
So let me think about this a minute - MoJeff has a bad start and misses her 3s so she should lose her starting position to Saniya - but wait, MoJeff has better defense (missed by most in the shot-gate hysteria) so maybe she should not lose her start to Saniya. But the game was under so much better control whilst she was at the point according to some so maybe she should start over MoJeff. No wait, it was Bria who held everyone together so she should start for both herself and MoJeff...O, and Stef was missing her 3-point shot so maybe she should be replaced with KML - but wait, she is injured so forget that Stef stays...no wait, Stef didn't have the stats that Kiah had, plus she is ALWAYS in the upper post and NEVER down low so maybe Kiah should start for her. KML even though she is fabulous was not getting open so she should lose her starting position to Morgan Tuck who was hitting her three's today. Morgan plays post so she could also start for Stef who as we mentioned spends way too much time at the top of the key. Banks, poor thing is rusty so she is off to OZ to borrow the Tin Man's oil can. Stewey, forget that she was MOP of the final four, she shouldn't start at all because she is a shadow of her former self so maybe Stef should start for her since Kiah would be starting for Stef...but then when KML comes back from injury who should she replace in the starting line-up? well, she wasn't getting open so maybe she shouldn't start at all until she can figure out how to out-fox those darn double teams, same with Stewey. Bria, since she was the only one of the starters who performed to fan's expectations should actually be the coach and Geno should be benched because he obviously doesn't know what he is doing and should stay home watching the games whilst playing Candyland with his grandchildren and dining on osso buco, washing it down with a fine red table wine. But if Bria is coaching she obviously cannot play so now we are in real trouble.

See how crazy this gets?

Maybe some of the team managers could help out...
You were starting to lose me until my interest was peaked with the mention of osso buco...yum.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hate when I say I am done, when I'm not....lol.

Stop the presses, Moore has a perfect jump shot. No, not a capital J (something you made up) but the classic jumper.

She initiates her shot from the hip. You said it has to start at the chin. Now she does bring the ball to her face and then extend her arms had wow....what form.

Chong does not have that classic jump shot. But it's a jump shot. You first called it a set shot, then a hybrid and now, I have no idea what you think she does.

Thanks for the video. I always love watching Moore shoot.

It's definitely a push shot. It has a history neither of us new. Hybrid was the only descriptive I could think of to cover the combination of upper body with the hop she and many others use.

Discovering the history of the push shot of Angelo "Hnak" Luisetti of Stanford and Jack Gray who played and later coached the Texas Longhorns and the mid 1930s use of it was very interesting. Angelo "Hank" Luisetti LINK was voted with George Mikan to be the two greatest balers of the first half of the century. He was the first to score 50 points in a game against Duquense and his team broke LIU 43 game unbeaten streak. His running push shot is really interesting because the shot is made lifting one leg high at the knee and with a hop off of the other enabling him to add distance to the one handed set shot. Interestingly the 30s is, also, the era of the birth of the classic jump shot whichever Christgaun credits to Ken Sailors in 1934 which is why although both the push shot and jump shot involved getting airborne that they were given different names. The two emerging techniques needed to be differentiated in reports and coaching. The 30s appears to be an era of real creativity in basketball shooting. Bill Sharman was well known as a user of the one handed push shot.

Luisetti's obituary LINK in the NY times in 2002 with an extensive amount of his basketball history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan