I have a feeling Saniya will end up starting over MoJeff. | The Boneyard

I have a feeling Saniya will end up starting over MoJeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The offense seems to just flow better when she's out there. I'm still not sold (and neither was Stanford) on MoJeff's shot. She can shoot layups mostly but teams will probably let her shoot and lay off her to defend the penetration.

On the other hand Saniya is bigger, almost as fast and is a much better shooter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see anyone replacing MoJeff soon. I love Saniya and her game but I expect her off the bench for the rest of the year and to replace Bria next year. As the newbies come and learn the many things they don't even know they don't know yet. She will have plenty of minutes.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see anyone replacing MoJeff soon. I love Saniya and her game but I expect her off the bench for the rest of the year and to replace Bria next year. As the newbies come and learn the many things they don't even know they don't know yet.

It's got to be extremely scary for opposing teams to hear Geno say our likely SG for next year reminds him of Sue Bird in regard to her ability to get the ball to the right place (which only she sees) at the right time in an inexplicable manner.

And, it's incredibly unlikely that Geno starts a freshman point guard. I believe it'd be unprecedented in non-injury scenarios.

Reaction Score
I agree with Dandar. I also believe Saniya will be getting the most minutes at pg by the end of the year. She is more composed than MoJeff and lets the game come to her. She also has a much better 3 point shot.

Reaction Score
Geno said her defense is terrible. To some extent that's a Geno-ism but even I saw her getting beat off the dribble by Hartford players.

Let's hold off the coronation just yet.

Both players have different strengths & weaknesses. And it's early.

arch

Reaction Score
It's got to be extremely scary for opposing teams to hear Geno say our likely SG for next year reminds him of Sue Bird in regard to her ability to get the ball to the right place (which only she sees) at the right time in an inexplicable manner.

And, it's incredibly unlikely that Geno starts a freshman point guard. I believe it'd be unprecedented in non-injury scenarios.
Was Sue an injury scenario? Don't think so.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Geno is going to stick with Jefferson for the foreseeable future. I'm sure Chong will be picking up some valuable minutes though.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
She . . . lets the game come to her.

Without getting into the Moriah/Saniya discussion, let me ask: Just what does this "game come to her" comment mean? More to the point, how can it be perceived as such a great compliment?

Chong didn't let the game come to her -- she came off the bench and drilled two treys in less than a minute. Stokes didn't let the game come to her -- she snagged rebounds, blocked shots, and made baskets. And Bria played a helluva game, end-to-end.

I guess any who read this know that I don't think much of this "lets the game come to her" form of praise.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno said her defense is terrible. To some extent that's a Geno-ism but even I saw her getting beat off the dribble by Hartford players.

Let's hold off the coronation just yet.

Both players have different strengths & weaknesses. And it's early.

Took a second gander at the Stanford game.
Ms. Chong's defense improves by the day, was actually pretty good against the Cardinal.
In a few more weeks, will not be an issue at all.

HGN

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson agrees that Saniya is the one who will need to step up. But I think MoJeff is the one we want starting.
Sam, I agree , MoJeff is the one we want starting........Right now ( after 2 games) Saniya seemingly is the better shooter. But Mo's (international) experience and more familiarity with the offense is on her side. Teams lay off Mo because they also fear her blow by capability. Once she starts to hit that open jumper she will that much more dangerous. Talent is one thing but experience is something else. Each can win you a NC , its just having the smarts to know when to apply the one thats needed most at the particular time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Saniya's 3 pointer is much like Tiff's in that she shoots it from a low position. It is blockable once opponents realize they must defend her. To date they are laying off of Saniya as much as they are off of MoJeff. Remember after she made those first two 3s the defense changed and we did not see any more. Reports are that MoJeff makes her shot regularly in practice so it is likely it will come along in the game, too.

Opponents cannot play very far off of either MoJeff or Saniya because doing so leaves them vulnerable off the bounce. Playing off a little helps but not playing off as far as cheat help defense requires. Both will exploit anyone attempting to lay off too far of either. Both, also, go very well to left and right and with the current emphasis on touch fouls before will go to the line frequently with anyone who tries to impede them at speed while recovering. Finally, both shoot their free throws very well. Geno has an embarassment of blessings in these two.

But unless MoJeff further sprains her ankle or cannot go for another reason Saniya is not replacing her as the strating PG.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Without getting into the Moriah/Saniya discussion, let me ask: Just what does this "game come to her" comment mean? More to the point, how can it be perceived as such a great compliment?

Chong didn't let the game come to her -- she came off the bench and drilled two treys in less than a minute. Stokes didn't let the game come to her -- she snagged rebounds, blocked shots, and made baskets. And Bria played a helluva game, end-to-end.

I guess any who read this know that I don't think much of this "lets the game come to her" form of praise.

I've always read the comment as meaning "doesn't try to create things that aren't available/appropriate in this particular game/situation". Like not trying to slash against an effective zone defense, or not taking 3-pointers when your bigs are getting good position inside.

i.e. being able to adapt to the situation to get the highest probability of success

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see anyone replacing MoJeff soon. I love Saniya and her game but I expect her off the bench for the rest of the year and to replace Bria next year. As the newbies come and learn the many things they don't even know they don't know yet.

Agree.

Reaction Score
It's way too soon to replace Jefferson with Chong. Jefferson had a bad game. She was the best player in the Hartford game. I expect Jefferson to return to form in the Maryland game.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
So let me think about this a minute - MoJeff has a bad start and misses her 3s so she should lose her starting position to Saniya - but wait, MoJeff has better defense (missed by most in the shot-gate hysteria) so maybe she should not lose her start to Saniya. But the game was under so much better control whilst she was at the point according to some so maybe she should start over MoJeff. No wait, it was Bria who held everyone together so she should start for both herself and MoJeff...O, and Stef was missing her 3-point shot so maybe she should be replaced with KML - but wait, she is injured so forget that Stef stays...no wait, Stef didn't have the stats that Kiah had, plus she is ALWAYS in the upper post and NEVER down low so maybe Kiah should start for her. KML even though she is fabulous was not getting open so she should lose her starting position to Morgan Tuck who was hitting her three's today. Morgan plays post so she could also start for Stef who as we mentioned spends way too much time at the top of the key. Banks, poor thing is rusty so she is off to OZ to borrow the Tin Man's oil can. Stewey, forget that she was MOP of the final four, she shouldn't start at all because she is a shadow of her former self so maybe Stef should start for her since Kiah would be starting for Stef...but then when KML comes back from injury who should she replace in the starting line-up? well, she wasn't getting open so maybe she shouldn't start at all until she can figure out how to out-fox those darn double teams, same with Stewey. Bria, since she was the only one of the starters who performed to fan's expectations should actually be the coach and Geno should be benched because he obviously doesn't know what he is doing and should stay home watching the games whilst playing Candyland with his grandchildren and dining on osso buco, washing it down with a fine red table wine. But if Bria is coaching she obviously cannot play so now we are in real trouble.

See how crazy this gets?

Maybe some of the team managers could help out...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Saniya's 3 pointer is much like Tiff's in that she shoots it from a low position..

True Ice, but she seems remarkably able to find openings for her "set shot" in the pros.
Not a big issue with Tiff, and probably won't be for Saniya.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
True Ice, but she seems remarkably able to find openings for her "set shot" in the pros.
Not a big issue with Tiff, and probably won't be for Saniya.
Fairly easy when you are spotting up and the D is basically considering you the fifth option having just come in the game.

TIFF solved the issue by moving her spotting up out to about 23', 25'. If she attempted to spot up at the line she was not so lucky with her shot.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Fairly easy when you are spotting up an the D is basically considering you the fifth option having just come in the game.

TIFF solved the issue by moving her spotting up out to about 23'. If she attempted to spot up at the line she was not so lucky with her shot.

Fairly easy to hit open 3's when your team is not scoring against the #3 team on national TV? I don't think so.

She scored 34 points a game and hit many many 3's. There will always be other scorers on the court with her.

I believe Chong has at least the same range at Hayes, if not more. Once she is more confident that Geno will let her shoot and not take her out, she will hit LONG range bombs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She scored 34 points a game and hit many many 3's. There will always be other scorers on the court with her.

I believe Chong has at least the same range at Hayes, if not more. Once she is more confident that Geno will let her shoot and not take her out, she will hit LONG range bombs.
Yes, it is vastly easier to hit those shots when you are not being a primary focus of the D. I agree that paragraph 2 may very well be true but we have insufficient evidence at the college level at this point.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno should be benched because he obviously doesn't know what he is doing and should stay home watching the games whilst playing Candyland with his grandchildren and dining on osso buco, washing it down with a fine red table wine.

Let me help Geno with his selection of a fine red wine to be superbly suited for pairing with osso bucco. Should be Red. Italian. Piedmont. Barolo. Luciano Sandrone. 1997.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree that that may very well be true but we have insufficient evidence at the college at this point.

Ahh...you added at college. Of course we have insufficient evidence at the college level. She has only played two games. We have insufficient evidence at the college level about every freshman.

I have seen enough of her shooting to have sufficient evidence that she will continue to shot well and from deep on the college level.

Let me know when you have seen enough evidence. I'll be waiting...lol.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ahh...you added at college. Of course we have insufficient evidence at the college level. She has only played two games. We have insufficient evidence at the college level about every freshman.

I have seen enough of her shooting to have sufficient evidence that she will continue to shot well and from deep on the college level.

Let me know when you have seen enough evidence. I'll be waiting...lol.
Since I didn't see her range in high school and have only the few shots she taken in college as the only sample I've seen. Her shot which is a set shot and not a jump shot and requires spotting up with clearance. Yes, the same is true of every freshman who has taken less than a dozen shots.

I see her early success like that Caroline had and then Tiff had before anyone was accounting for them on D.

I expect her to continue on Tiff's adaption because of the low from the shoulder shot. Or the staff may work with her to adapt her shot to more classic form high from the brow. We will see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle