Hurley: Avoid Garbage Parents | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley: Avoid Garbage Parents

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Ask me about about AAU... Drunk coaches, sober coaches who tried to fight me, guys who attack players and get arrested.

Parents are just as bad though. I could pick either on any given day.

The way we approach youth sports is embarassing.
Coaching a 7 and 8th grade CYO girls team I once had a parent come out on the court and essentially clothesline one of my girls who had stolen the ball from his daughter!! I also used to ump little league and in one game where the losing team was close to the 10 run rule the parents on the winning team were beyond cruel in their comments the losing kids could hear. At one point I heard an f bomb and warned the parents. Honestly I waited and when a sneeze sounded an awful like a curse word I forfeited the game to the losing team. Slept good that night. Last I told my brother in law considering which type of medicine he wanted to practice that you don’t want pediatrics because each kid comes with two parents

Reaction Score
Coaching a 7 and 8th grade CYO girls team I once had a parent come out on the court and essentially clothesline one of my girls who had stolen the ball from his daughter!! I also used to ump little league and in one game where the losing team was close to the 10 run rule the parents on the winning team were beyond cruel in their comments the losing kids could hear. At one point I heard an f bomb and warned the parents. Honestly I waited and when a sneeze sounded an awful like a curse word I forfeited the game to the losing team. Slept good that night. Last I told my brother in law considering which type of medicine he wanted to practice that you don’t want pediatrics because each kid comes with two parents

If an adult puts a hand on my kid because of a basketball game or anything else, they are going to violentally assaulted. I'll let my wife handle the legal side of things. I have all-too-personal feelings about people who hurt children. I get physically ill when I see parents who hurt their kids at work sometimes.

It's more embarassing for the winning team than the losers when that kind of stuff happens. Half the time the kids are embarassed for their parents and coaches.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hopefully this is the last interview Hurley does for Outkick.
Why? It's a great interview.

Either Dan can register their displeasure with the dishonesty and potential for negative effect from the word "garbage," and affected parties can take it from there.

It's true that Outkick bears responsibility for endorsing an editorial lapse in judgment, but are you aware that your use of the word "hopefully" is grammatically incorrect? It's a common error, and it's correctible.

Should anybody recommend that your posts never be read or taken seriously again? I think that would be extreme and unnecessary.

Reaction Score

Either Dan can register their displeasure with the dishonesty and potential for negative effect from the word "garbage," and affected parties can take it from there.

It's true that Outkick bears responsibility for endorsing an editorial lapse in judgment, but are you aware that your use of the word "hopefully" is grammatically incorrect? It's a common error, and it's correctible.

Should anybody recommend that your posts never be read or taken seriously again? I think that would be extreme and unnecessary.
No, I think the point was more that Outkick is a shoddy operation which concerns itself more with fighting culture wars than producing quality journalism.

Directly from their mission statement:
“Questioning the consensus and exposing the destructive nature of ‘woke’ activism, OutKick is the antidote to the mainstream sports media that often serves an elite, left-leaning minority instead of the American sports fan.”

Reaction Score

It's not an editorial lapse in judgement, it was very much intentional as it fits their culture war narrative perfectly. It's not a good look, Hurley got duped.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No, I think the point was more that Outkick is a shoddy operation which concerns itself more with fighting culture wars than producing quality journalism.

“Questioning the consensus and exposing the destructive nature of ‘woke’ activism, OutKick is the antidote to the mainstream sports media that often serves an elite, left-leaning minority instead of the American sports fan.”

Thank you for posting Outkick's mission statement. It provides a basis for your animus, and it gives me greater insight into what would therefore far more likely represent a conscious choice, undoubtedly at an editorial level, to substitute the fabricated term "garbage parents" and therby create an attention-grabbing headline that would align with objectives at a publisher's level toward advancing business objectives.

Without any prior experience with or background on Outkick, I instantly recognized the deception and labeled the headline both "dishonest" and "garbage," but my opinion that the video interview was wide-ranging and well-conducted remains undisturbed.

Ironically, the information you've provided "awakened" me to the sinister nature of the substituted language, and such actions to alert people to such institutional manipulations is at the heart of any consciousness-raising activities. I say "ironically" without self-satisfied approval.

Consciousness-raising is foundational to societal advancement by exposing forces that would prefer to resist such advancement by demonizing such efforts, whereby raised consciousness is deemed as something negative by forces who would feel threatened by social change to include more beneficiaries and a greater number of stakeholders & a wider spectrum of leadership beyond those more dedicated to protecting those already doing well with things as they are. (Consider here a rise in efforts to recast diversity, equity, and inclusion as something negative, now that it's packaged and promoted as DEI, with funded initiatives and programming, and additional opportunities for misproportioned actions and responses across the embattled turf).

At the tension points, a broadened perspective gets slurred as "political correctness," awakening to historical patterns within the development & perpetuation of institutional & societal norms cynically appropriates a linguistic term from black academia and transforms "woke" also into a slur by mocking sympathetic, so-called "left-leaning elites" along the way (even where some components may be mockable or dubious in other ways). So yes, it is a counteroffensive in ongoing culture wars that have "the American sports fan" set up as the victim of troublemakers who must be discredited by a countering elite right-leaning minority that does its best to disguise itself as something that does not exist.

In that sense, I can see Outlook more as you and @speckle are claiming, without necessarily agreeing that I or Dan Hurley have been "duped," though it may rise to having similar effect broadly by virtue of the power of headlines to shape a low-information society, with both active and passive motivating forces to remain that way.

One more set of reasons to hope I die before I get old old, which is no help to you.

A last afternote: "Hopefully" and other such adverbs truly do get used incorrectly in The Boneyard and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Regardless of their political bent, that was a great interview with a bad title. I'm sure if it bothered DH, someone at Uconn could get it changed. Websites change content all the time

Reaction Score
Regardless of their political bent, that was a great interview with a bad title. I'm sure if it bothered DH, someone at Uconn could get it changed. Websites change content all the time
There's a content creator trick shot guy with a major following who does interviews with our men's and women's players who did an interview with Clingan where Clingan describes going to the White House last year. What Donovan describes is rather embarrassing for the POTUS and a couple right of center outlets picked up on it and ran the video. A non basketball watching pal of mine sent me the video, I noticed the video was later pulled by the content creator which I'm sure was done at the request of Hurley or someone else involved with the program.

If Hurley had a problem with his interview with Dakich and the headline the site ran with I'm sure he would ask his buddy Dakich to get the headline changed. I was curious so pulled up the story again. It seems you can still find the original headline but they have the same interview with two alternative headlines, "Hurley Says Kentucky never became a thing" and "Dan Hurley Talks The Importance of Speaking Up About Mental Health." The site also has a video where another guy talks about how UConn basketball is hands down the best program in college sports, the best basketball program of the last 40 years, and the most underrated program in all of sports.

It's unfortunate clickbait headlines are created all the time but every publication does it from the biggest publications down to the small online outfits...
It's taking place right now with a local Chicago story which has become a national story. It's a powderkeg type story and many of the largest publications in the world are writing headlines which give a false impression of the incident, they're intentionally lighting a match to that powderkeg.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great interview negatively impacted by a garbage title created by people who want to foster contention for monetary reasons by taking liberty with Hurley’s interview. Which of course is garbage.

Reaction Score
I usually listen to College Radio during the work day on XM .. and I keep hearing Hurley's interview about parents dropping hints during the recruitment and seems everybody is in love with the sentiment. It's on Full Ride right now with Childers and Neuheisel

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
As a youth football coach, I can totally relate to this. For some reason, I always get picked by the other coaches to deal with these folks. By the way, I don’t call them “Garbage Parents”…I just think of them as perpetually over involved.
I’ve coached baseball, flag football and basketball in the last few years and I’ve found that drafting good parents vs drafting kids makes life a lot easier for local leagues.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’ve coached baseball, flag football and basketball in the last few years and I’ve found that drafting good parents vs drafting kids makes life a lot easier for local leagues.
We’ve even managed to get the crazy ones under control. It takes a lot of communication and explaining what we are trying to do, but it works and they appreciate it.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Good interview. Also good that Outkick isn't that popular. Dan is a very popular guy right now, his words have impact. With the 6 second attention span on the net, and let's face it, only us rabid Husky fans watching the whole thing, in this cultural climate don't be surprised to hear this discussed in unflattering ways.

The headline needs to be vaporized. I would also demand a disclaimer added to the piece that a previous headline was used that was not the words of Coach Dan Hurley, and was solely the work of Outkick's editors.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Good luck getting floor seats at Howard.
IMG_4721.jpeg

Reaction Score
A last afternote: "Hopefully" and other such adverbs truly do get used incorrectly in The Boneyard and elsewhere.
I love seeing stuff like this and then reading "[from 18th c.]" under that definition in the dictionary. You're in for a long fight, it seems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom