Hurley: Avoid Garbage Parents | The Boneyard

Hurley: Avoid Garbage Parents

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Great interview. Hurley has been very vocal about this, and I think it's inspiring to hear how fiercely he works to build and protect the culture of the program. Having grown up in the game his entire life, and having perspectives as a coach's son, a player, a dad, and coach himself, at both high school and collegiate levels, he understands these things as well as anyone.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's Outlook On Recruiting: Avoid Players With Garbage Parents

Haven’t seen this posted, sorry if it has. Love Hurley calling this out. Lots of talk about getting guys that fit our culture starts here. I think of this when wondering why Hurley hasn’t gone after certain players that make sense on paper. Also no wonder we get so many great UConn moms!
Thanks for posting. I think that’s the best Hurley interview I’ve ever heard!

Best line…”why would you leave the best program in the country to go somewhere else?”

send this to the UK folks. Lol

Reaction Score
It's ironic that I see this post right when I'm watching the end of season 1 of Ted Lasso and Jaime is getting screamed at and slapped by his dad.
Most parents have so much influence on their kids. Working in a school, the kids who need the most discipline usually have either no parental guidance at home or the wrong kind. Smart of Hurley to avoid the headaches. One bad parent can actually completely disrupt the chemistry of a team.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear Hurley use the phrase "garbage parents." I think that was just creation of the headline writer.
Good, I cringed when I saw the headline. Never disrespect people publicly even if its what you
think and its true. Too many headlines to police, but geez, I don't want Hurley to be thought of as someone that said that.

Reaction Score
great interview, couple things that interested me

1) was talking with Dakich about recruits who want 400,450 thousand from portal, rather than playing for better team with better sets- first ive seen a portal $ amount ceiling-ish number

2)Saying how most teams run same sets, but uconn will be running different sets next yr, optimized for talent.

3) describes losing as "an indescribable level of suffering" lol

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
About a month ago I was about to start a thread (but thought better about it considering the direction some one here could end up leading it) about the great families our players have and how that plays a role in the teamwork we see.

We've seen all of the fantastic things written about Catle's parents and have seen numerous tweets (for at least eight months) from Momma Castle. I remember a couple Karaban articles about his family (both parents relocated for former Soviet Union countries; Belarus & Ukraine) and how his mom needed to be convinced about our academics. I've read a few articles (and heard a couple times from someone who knows of them) about how close Donovan is to his dad.

We've read about Spencer's family and seen Newton's cousins (the Jones twins) at a number of postseason games last year and this year, which normally won't happen withough a pretty tight knit family (seeing how elated TN's mom was when he was announced tournament MOP was additional evidence). The way Donny speaks of Stewart tells me that his family is likely very similar to TN's.

I can't speak a lot about other members of the team (although I don't believe it would be a stretch to assume the Diarra brothers also come from a tightly knit family) but it would not surprise me if each was raised in a close, respectful family.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
As a teacher, I can totally relate to this.
As a youth football coach, I can totally relate to this. For some reason, I always get picked by the other coaches to deal with these folks. By the way, I don’t call them “Garbage Parents”…I just think of them as perpetually over involved.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was very good. I judge interviews by how often they deviate from standard Coach speak and just drift into actual conversations. This did that a whole lot.
Agreed. You can tell that Dakich and DH knew each other, and Greenberg contributed as well.
One of the better interviews DH has done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a teacher, I can totally relate to this.
I used to tell my kids when they were first starting out playing sports that the biggest indicator of how successful you will be is not how talented you are, how hard you play during games, or even how hard you practice with the team. The biggest indicator is how hard you work on your own. That that is what distinguishes you from the pack. The same is true with academics, or any other venture in life.

Reaction Score
Good interview. Hurley is a couple years off on Tate George - he started at UConn in 1986, not '89, and played on the NIT championship team. His last moment as a Husky was the close call almost stealing the ball at the end of the Duke game, which was his senior year. I think he's the only player I actually met while I was up at UConn - he was friends with a girl in my dorm.

But it goes to show you, people who weren't invested in UConn didn't really notice the program until the Dream Season. For a guy like Hurley, the NIT title didn't move the needle. Then again, Seton Hall was a juggernaut at that time, and we were just hoping to get to that level.

Reaction Score
It's ironic that I see this post right when I'm watching the end of season 1 of Ted Lasso and Jaime is getting screamed at and slapped by his dad.
Most parents have so much influence on their kids. Working in a school, the kids who need the most discipline usually have either no parental guidance at home or the wrong kind. Smart of Hurley to avoid the headaches. One bad parent can actually completely disrupt the chemistry of a team.
We saw that in our recent history. Vance Jackson's father made it hard to build a team because his son ended up wanting to pick his own role rather than implement KO's vision. And Oriakhi's father whining in his ear all of the 11-12 season didn't help (although an unhappy parent is nowhere near the problem that a parent who thinks he is entitled to coach the team is).

Reaction Score
Deion Sanders said mostly the same thing about recruiting QB's.
Better come from a stable home.
There's clearly a type of kid Hurley looks for and gets. He's always talking about fit and the parents. He's always talking about not being soft and having old school values.

Reaction Score
this photo says it all. Castle sought his parents out and hugged them right after they won NC.

Great video.

You can see how emotional Stephon was; all the hard work he's probably endured has paid off.

I'm sure, he's has one more huge moment coming up!

He will represent our program well in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom