Hurley: Avoid Garbage Parents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley: Avoid Garbage Parents

Reaction Score
This makes a lot of sense too when you think about what this coaching staff asks of players: work your butt off, never take a play off, sacrifice for the team, pass up shots to give your teammates better shots, etc.

I’m sure that’s a big change for players and can be frustrating at times, especially when the gameplan over a 2-3 game stretch leads to shots flowing to other guys.

So when player calls his parents and is frustrated (bc I’m sure it is TOUGH to practice and play under Hurley), Hurley wants parents who are going to say “listen to your coach!” Not parents who are going to say: “you’re the best player on that team, Hurley is crazy for not seeing that!” etc.

Basically he wants parents who will be an extension of the coaching staff and who his players can look to for support — not parents who are going to undermine the efforts of the coaching staff.

This really goes to Hurley’s laser focus on how a player will function as part of his team vs just how good the player is.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Sometimes it’s the coaches at lower levels who have an agenda or just are not nice.
I haven’t run into that. (Much) The guys I coach with and the coaches I’ve met from other teams are in it for the kids. I know those kind of guys exist, but as a kid my experiences were great and as an adult we try to pass that along. We try to be as kind as possible to the parents, even the over involved ones. After all, they trust us with their kids. We do a weekly newsletter during the season that keeps everyone involved. That helps. I’ve been doing it long enough that I remember the days when it had to be printed and distributed after practice.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That was, indeed, a great interview. I'm finding that usually the interviews with other coaches are the most informative.

Now, here's my completely left field take: With all the abuse he takes on here, I'm happy to be assured that Nick Timberlake has good parents to fall back on.

Given DH wouldn't have gone after NT otherwise, that tells me the kid probably has the fortitude to turn it around.

We're gonna face KU in next year's tourney ;)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's Outlook On Recruiting: Avoid Players With Garbage Parents

Haven’t seen this posted, sorry if it has. Love Hurley calling this out. Lots of talk about getting guys that fit our culture starts here. I think of this when wondering why Hurley hasn’t gone after certain players that make sense on paper. Also no wonder we get so many great UConn moms!

This is my favorite Hurley interview so far. My only objection is the unaccountable title. THAT'S what's garbage.

Unless I missed a single mention (okay, I'llnsay 2 just to be super safe), the word "garbage" does not appear in the written article OR the 20+ minute interview.

The article uses the phrase "bad parents" several times, and the interview offers examples of troublesome behaviors, but neither Dan Dakich nor Dan Hurley say "garbage."

Please, if I missed it, somebody show me my error. I don't want to be wrong, and I'm not bringing this up to be right.

The interview is values-centered, candid about personal trials & tribulations, respectful of other programs & coaches & players, informed by shared history between both Dans going back to intersections between Indiana & Seton Hall, discussing experiences as both coaches and players, generational changes & maturity, and is up to date within this week. Highly recommended.

Especially significant, is Hurley's emphasis on GOOD family backgrounds and support for players who are targeted for recruitment and development. This the flip side in framing what is searched for, looked at, desired, and chosen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley is smarter than he gets credit for. This is a high EQ move, subtly recruiting parents and setting team/culture expectations simultaneously. I love the fact that historically many of our best players graduated, often early.

That said there's no greater achievement than surpassing a terrible childhood (Jimmy Butler type). I know that's not what Hurleys talking about here, just sayin.

Reaction Score
Hurley is smarter than he gets credit for. This is a high EQ move, subtly recruiting parents and setting team/culture expectations simultaneously. I love the fact that historically many of our best players graduated, often early.

That said there's no greater achievement than surpassing a terrible childhood (Jimmy Butler type). I know that's not what Hurleys talking about here, just sayin.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That was, indeed, a great interview. I'm finding that usually the interviews with other coaches are the most informative.

Now, here's my completely left field take: With all the abuse he takes on here, I'm happy to be assured that Nick Timberlake has good parents to fall back on.

Given DH wouldn't have gone after NT otherwise, that tells me the kid probably has the fortitude to turn it around.

We're gonna face KU in next year's tourney ;)

Your final emoji gives me pause about taking this at full face value, but my inclination is to keep my mind open as to the sincerity or your post and the assessment if Timberlake.

How he grows will reflect the impact of Self's culture, and all else will show out on the court if UConn meets Kansas. My joy in having watched Spencer for this season made my thoughts & feelings about Timberlake recede way into the background.

I'm also reminded that Hurley's success in responding to unexpected or disappointed recruiting losses has been astounding. From Nick to Cam was by no means the first time.

The names listed below all had UConn's interest and they were perceived as having strong interest in UConn. Whether in a direct line or as part of 'lessons-learned' narrative, Hurley pivoted and met the identified roster need or something else that contributed to the current success.

Kofi Cockburn
Cliff Omiruyi
Kyle Filipowski
Tashaad Pettiford

I think I've omitted at least one more significant name, but I think the point is already made.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is true but there are so many risks associated with bringing in a kid who’s had bad parenting, rough upbringing. It’s easier to teach kids the basketball stuff than it is to teach them all the requisite work ethic, communication skills, self motivation, coping skills, etc, that has to come from 18+ years of being raised in a supportive environment with engaged parents.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
"Purdue is rasing a banner that says we were nicer than Hurley" LOL

Reaction Score
Sometimes it’s the coaches at lower levels who have an agenda or just are not nice.

Ask me about about AAU... Drunk coaches, sober coaches who tried to fight me, guys who attack players and get arrested.

Parents are just as bad though. I could pick either on any given day.

The way we approach youth sports is embarassing.

Reaction Score
The writer certainly took some liberties there.

Here and elsewhere, what I see Hurley saying is he wants kids who come from a humble, hard-working background and a family who supports them. Not "are you a garbage parent?"

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The writer certainly took some liberties there.

Here and elsewhere, what I see Hurley saying is he wants kids who come from a humble, hard-working background and a family who supports them. Not "are you a garbage parent?"

Hopefully this is the last interview Hurley does for Outkick.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this is the last interview Hurley does for Outkick.
I've never liked Dakich's public persona since I saw his Neil Reed tweets but that was maybe the best Hurley interview I've ever seen. Great questions and you can tell they both really like each other. That went way beyond the typical Hurley interviews about his funny underwear and fiery personality. I would love to see more interviews like this in the future.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I've never liked Dakich's public persona since I saw his Neil Reed tweets but that was maybe the best Hurley interview I've ever seen. Great questions and you can tell they both really like each other. That went way beyond the typical Hurley interviews about his funny underwear and fiery personality. I would love to see more interviews like this in the future.

That's fine, Dakich is a moron but maybe he does a good interview. My bigger issue is with Outkick.

Reaction Score
This is true but there are so many risks associated with bringing in a kid who’s had bad parenting, rough upbringing. It’s easier to teach kids the basketball stuff than it is to teach them all the requisite work ethic, communication skills, self motivation, coping skills, etc, that has to come from 18+ years of being raised in a supportive environment with engaged parents.
Totally agree. Can't run the best basketball program in the country like a social services org. I'm just in awe of what some folks accomplish, starting out with zero or negative resources. Reminds me of Calhoun's work with Stanley Robinson.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Your final emoji gives me pause about taking this at full face value, but my inclination is to keep my mind open as to the sincerity or your post and the assessment if Timberlake.
Sincere on NT. The wink was strictly for meeting KU in next year's tourney and not for umbrella sarcasm

Reaction Score
That's fine, Dakich is a moron but maybe he does a good interview. My bigger issue is with Outkick.
I've gotten past the point where I dismiss the content because of the outlet. I haven't liked ESPN for 20 years but they occasionally have good interviews and they air games I want to watch, I haven't like Fox for 20 years but I love the Big East and they have the best on air talent working the games. I don't like Outkick but that was a great interview and I'm sure they have other good interviews. I was never a Barstool fan but I love the content from Mark Titus and Big Cat is an awesome guy, they also all love Calhoun/Hurley/UConn over there.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear Hurley use the phrase "garbage parents." I think that was just creation of the headline writer.
Yeah im not a fan of that wording especially if thats not exactly what Hurley said as it can be used against him. "Hurley calls recruits parents garbage" adding to the narrative that some love to paint of him being a jerk. If he did use it then its fair to deal with any back lash from it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've gotten past the point where I dismiss the content because of the outlet. I haven't liked ESPN for 20 years but they occasionally have good interviews and they air games I want to watch, I haven't like Fox for 20 years but I love the Big East and they have the best on air talent working the games. I don't like Outkick but that was a great interview and I'm sure they have other good interviews. I was never a Barstool fan but I love the content from Mark Titus and Big Cat is an awesome guy, they also all love Calhoun/Hurley/UConn over there.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
although an unhappy parent is nowhere near the problem that a parent who thinks he is entitled to coach the team is).
Some time back (my kid was under 10, and he's going to be 60 next year, so it was a LONG time ago.) I coached a youth team. There were three players (and their parents) who still stick out in my mind. Two of the kids were best friends, as were their fathers. Putting the ball in player A's hands ALWAYS resulted in either a shot attempt or a pass to his buddy, player B. His buddy would dribble into the corner at the baseline where their fathers were stationed. There, he would get instructions from Daddy, on what to do. Again, there were only two options. Pass it back to his buddy or shoot it. By the time the conversation was done, he was surrounded by players from the other team, and had long since given up his dribble, so he would put up a jumper that probably went in once in the season I coached the team. I tried my best to get the fathers to stop interacting with their kids during the game. No luck.
The third kid though... what a pleasure to coach and to watch his relationship with his father. Father never said anything during practice or games. But he took notes, and he'd go over them with the kid when official practice was over. Then they'd go through a shooting practice routine from several different spots. The kid was far and away the best player on the team, and his dad never interfered with things I was trying to get the kids to do.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Or a more UConn centric example in Caron Butler.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom