Hump Day (11/6) games: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hump Day (11/6) games: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Tennessee

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not bullying. He’s just touting a great game by our freshmen and subs. The nine available players each played 18 to 24 minutes. During much of the game, upperclassmen starters, Jaime Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Meme Jackson were on the bench. The rest of the team (the four freshmen, senior sub, Kortney Dunbar, and redshirt junior, Cheridene Green) played similar minutes to the starters. Think about it. Why would we play our starters for any longer than necessary when we face Texas in just four days?
No one is saying anything about the minutes distributions. I believe Plebe's comments are that it's strange for a fan of a Div-I ranked team to go on another board and brag about beating up a middling team from the Sun Belt. If a UConn fan went to VolNation and bragged about whalloping Stony Brook by 60 points, there'd be a similar reaction.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No one is saying anything about the minutes distributions. I believe Plebe's comments are that it's strange for a Div-I ranked team to go on another board and brag about beating up a middling team from the Sun Belt. If UConn went to VolNation and bragged about whalloping Stony Brook by 60 points, there'd be a similar reaction.

Far worse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Iowa defeats Iowa State in a major rivalry game. 58-55. Both teams shot around 30% (correct) for the game. Talk about a grinder.
Was this game 6v6?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Comments from Muffet on Jackie Young after last night's game:

"I just want her to be more aggressive," McGraw said of Young. "I want her to shoot the ball more. I don't think five shots [against Michigan State] is nearly enough for her. I thought she passed up a number of shots. I think she needs to be a little bit more aggressive. When we talk about we want to feed the post, she's one that really listens and takes that to heart."

Indeed, Jackie was the one who got the ball to Shepard near the basket in the 4th quarter of the UConn game. Shepard missed the shot (with a little nudge from Nurse in the back) but it was a good play by Young.

I posted earlier that I thought Shepard needed to get the ball on 2 possessions when she was posting up Collier. In re-watching the 4th quarter of Sunday's game there was a possession early on in the 4th in which Mabrey did pass the ball to Shepard on the right block and Shepard didn't handle the pass and lost it out of bounds. Perhaps Mabrey lost confidence in Shepard after that play.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
194 total shots in the Tennessee v Troy game. Was that a basketball game or a glorified lay-up line? If Lin Dunn were not on the Kentucky staff what would she have to say about that game and that score? Good for the game?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Last night, I thought Notre Dame did a much better job of getting the ball into Shepard, seemed it was a point of emphasis from McGraw, a lot of those were from Young but most led to Shepard being put on the free throw line so she did not get the assist. McGraw doesn't appear to have her typical Notre dame team who are willing to give up the ball for a better shot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Last night, I thought Notre Dame did a much better job of getting the ball into Shepard, seemed it was a point of emphasis from McGraw, a lot of those were from Young but most led to Shepard being put on the free throw line so she did not get the assist. McGraw doesn't appear to have her typical Notre dame team who are willing to give up the ball for a better shot.

That seemed to happen on Sunday in the 4th Q. Then again, Shepard needs to do her part in the big moments too. Mabrey tried to get her the ball on the block early in the 4th Q and she lost the pass out of bounds. Nerves maybe? Shepard also allowed a smaller Walker to grab a rebound away from her. This is new territory for Shepard so I'll be curious to see how she does in big moments and big games.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
194 total shots in the Tennessee v Troy game. Was that a basketball game or a glorified lay-up line? If Lin Dunn were not on the Kentucky staff what would she have to say about that game and that score? Good for the game?
I didn't see the Troy game, but the Tennessee-Marquette game was precisely that, a two-plus-hour-long layup drill. I don't know if I've ever seen such a paltry effort to defend the dribble-drive.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't see the Troy game, but the Tennessee-Marquette game was precisely that, a two-plus-hour-long layup drill. I don't know if I've ever seen such a paltry effort to defend the dribble-drive.

I wasn't surprised by the Tenn Marquette outcome though I had predicted a Marquette win. I reconsidered after watching Marquette's game against New Mexico. The New Mexico players were repeatedly given open lanes to the basket.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh, Margo, you had to go there, talking about how "there's only one UT, and we need to prove that it's us."

Hook 'em Horns!

Reaction Score
That seemed to happen on Sunday in the 4th Q. Then again, Shepard needs to do her part in the big moments too. Mabrey tried to get her the ball on the block early in the 4th Q and she lost the pass out of bounds. Nerves maybe? Shepard also allowed a smaller Walker to grab a rebound away from her. This is new territory for Shepard so I'll be curious to see how she does in big moments and big games.

How so? UConn has been the little bullies stealing the big girl's lunch money since the first time we met.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
30 more shot attempts. Wow.

Another bizarre stat: Cougs had 28 offensive rebounds but only scored 11 points as a result. Not sure how many points they got off of the 26 turnovers but probably similarly inefficient. Just complete ineptitude.

I wonder how long June can keep her job? There aren't exactly big expectations there, but at some point they gotta realize she's not doing enough.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Another bizarre stat: Cougs had 28 offensive rebounds but only scored 11 points as a result. Not sure how many points they got off of the 26 turnovers but probably similarly inefficient. Just complete ineptitude.

I wonder how long June can keep her job? There aren't exactly big expectations there, but at some point they gotta realize she's not doing enough.
Do you know when her current contract expires? At places like WSU, they're often more inclined to let contracts play out. She did, after all, just take them on a deep WNIT run last year.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your post.
Oops. Meant to highlight the part about Walker taking the rebound away from her but was leaving the house in a hurry and turned the wrong part of your observation blue.

Reaction Score
Not bullying. He’s just touting a great game by our freshmen and subs. The nine available players each played 18 to 24 minutes. During much of the game, upperclassmen starters, Jaime Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Meme Jackson were on the bench. The rest of the team (the four freshmen, senior sub, Kortney Dunbar, and redshirt junior, Cheridene Green) played similar minutes to the starters. Think about it. Why would we play our starters for any longer than necessary when we face Texas in just four days?
The problem with the post game coverage of this game is the total homerism by the press corps. I believe Holly writes the questions to be asked. You saw her angry reaction when a question was misinterpreted as a criticism. The reporter fell all over himself to turn it into Vol praise.

It's easy to score a lot of points when Troy seemed to think the 30 sec shot clock was actually 10 seconds. Lots of shots, mostly missed lead to high numbers of shots for Tenn. Troy had plenty of open 3's but just couldn't hit anything. If they were lucky and hit 50% of their 3's, they would have has 99 points in the game.

Regarding rebounding, it's so easy when the height disparity is so huge. Troy has a player who is not even 5 feet tall.

The point is, playing Troy should be an embarrassment to a team that considers itself an all time elite. No one is fooled. Yes the team seems to be better than last years, but bullying a severely over matches opponent is not nice.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That fast pace style is the the way Troy plays. The also try and press and create turnovers. That's ok when it works, when it doesn't. Well that leads to easy baskets for the other team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That fast pace style is the the way Troy plays. The also try and press and create turnovers. That's ok when it works, when it doesn't. Well that leads to easy baskets for the other team.
Doesn't change the fact that a program that wants to consider itself elite has no business going out of its way to schedule a team like that.

Nor does it change the fact that it's obscene to boast about "Lady Vol record books being rewritten" as a result of an opponent's complete ineptitude.

Would Pat Summitt be proud of this type of record-rewriting? Doubtful.

Reaction Score
Regardless of their season record for the year, I already love this team 50 times more than last year's. The biggest difference is that this team does not let up with a lead. They keep playing hard and racking up the score. For the last few years, TN has always played down and had so many close games against team just like Troy. They are having fun, smiling and making so many unselfish passes. I have also noticed that in nearly every interview, the returning players comment on how much better the chemistry is this year than last year. Wonder why?! (wink)

Also, the freshman are the most mature freshman I have seen at TN. They make mistakes but Davis is FAR better than anyone expected. Westbrook is really helping the team by having a true talented PG. We haven't had a real PG since Ariel. Texas will tell us a lot about their readiness.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doesn't change the fact that a program that wants to consider itself elite has no business going out of its way to schedule a team like that.

Nor does it change the fact that it's obscene to boast about "Lady Vol record books being rewritten" as a result of an opponent's complete ineptitude.

Would Pat Summitt be proud of this type of record-rewriting? Doubtful.

I can understand scheduling a couple of easy (cupcake) games early in the season when you're counting on freshmen to play important minutes. Tennessee did that by playing E Tenn State and Wichita State early on. James Madison was game #2 and while down this year JMU is not a cupcake. But when games 7, 8 and 9 are against Central Arkansas, Alabama State and Troy, well that's not the Tennessee we're used to and not the way to grow the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Regardless of their season record for the year, I already love this team 50 times more than last year's. The biggest difference is that this team does not let up with a lead. They keep playing hard and racking up the score. For the last few years, TN has always played down and had so many close games against team just like Troy. They are having fun, smiling and making so many unselfish passes. I have also noticed that in nearly every interview, the returning players comment on how much better the chemistry is this year than last year. Wonder why?! (wink)

Also, the freshman are the most mature freshman I have seen at TN. They make mistakes but Davis is FAR better than anyone expected. Westbrook is really helping the team by having a true talented PG. We haven't had a real PG since Ariel. Texas will tell us a lot about their readiness.
Westbrook seems like she's for real. I don't think anyone questions the kids' abilities, or heart, but there is a question about coaching when the games get tougher. The match-up with Texas should be illuminating.

Reaction Score
I can understand scheduling a couple of easy (cupcake) games early in the season when you're counting on freshmen to play important minutes. Tennessee did that by playing E Tenn State and Wichita State early on. James Madison was game #2 and while down this year JMU is not a cupcake. But when games 7, 8 and 9 are against Central Arkansas, Alabama State and Troy, well that's not the Tennessee we're used to and not the way to grow the game.
If UConn playing 5 of its first 7 against ranked competition, and 3 of 7 against top 10 competition is bad for the game, then Tennessee doing the opposite must be good for the game right?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell has now broken the Ohio State scoring record. She has 20 points so far. OSU leads 42-27 midway through 2Q.
I'm busy, so I'll ask. The prior record-holder was Lavender, Prahalis, or Smith?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom