Hump Day (11/6) games: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Tennessee | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hump Day (11/6) games: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Tennessee

Reaction Score
The picture of Alabama’s Troy Siate University being a cupcake that this thread seems to suggest is not entirely accurate. Troy is a second tier school and a member of the Sunbelt Conference.

The Tennessee-Troy series came to be because the twin sister of Tennessee center, Nia Moore, who is now graduated, happened to be at Troy State. The two schools thought it would be nice to schedule a game for the sisters. That’s how it started.

This year Troy is in fact doing quite well in its pre-conference games. Troy’s record to date is 4-2 with the team’s two losses to SEC teams. Last month they came very close to beating Ole Miss in Oxford. The score was 96-93 in favor of Ole Miss. Troy and Tennessee played Alabama State a week apart: Troy State 93-Alabama State 63 and Tennessee 104-Alabama State 51.

So, coming into this past game there was no indication that the outcome would be as one-sided as it turned out. I was at the game and really don’t know what else Holly could have done short of running out the clock on every possession. So, I’m sincerely asking: What is it that posters think Tennessee should have done? What does Geno do when he finds his team in a similar mismatch?

Reaction Score
The picture of Alabama’s So, coming into this past game there was no indication that the outcome would be as one-sided as it turned out. I was at the game and really don’t know what else Holly could have done short of running out the clock on every possession. So, I’m sincerely asking: What is it that posters think Tennessee should have done? What does Geno do when he finds his team in a similar mismatch?
Well, the reality is that because of the conference UConn is stuck in, Geno does find himself there. What he does not do is score 130+ points. Not yet anyway (God help TN if you ever meet up with UConn in the NCAA tourney). But anyway, let's assume there was really no way to avoid it last night. With all the bragging about records, etc., you would think TN just won a Final Four game or something. Troy? Really???

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The picture of Alabama’s Troy Siate University being a cupcake that this thread seems to suggest is not entirely accurate. Troy is a second tier school and a member of the Sunbelt Conference.

The Tennessee-Troy series came to be because the twin sister of Tennessee center, Nia Moore, who is now graduated, happened to be at Troy State. The two schools thought it would be nice to schedule a game for the sisters. That’s how it started.

This year Troy is in fact doing quite well in its pre-conference games. Troy’s record to date is 4-2 with the team’s two losses to SEC teams. Last month they came very close to beating Ole Miss in Oxford. The score was 96-93 in favor of Ole Miss. Troy and Tennessee played Alabama State a week apart: Troy State 93-Alabama State 63 and Tennessee 104-Alabama State 51.

So, coming into this past game there was no indication that the outcome would be as one-sided as it turned out. I was at the game and really don’t know what else Holly could have done short of running out the clock on every possession. So, I’m sincerely asking: What is it that posters think Tennessee should have done? What does Geno do when he finds his team in a similar mismatch?
You're talking about issues no one has raised. The point is (again) - why are Tennessee fans coming to the Boneyard to boast about record books being rewritten, etc when it's the #11 ranked team vs an unranked team? It's not like the LVs beat Notre Dame or South Carolina by 60.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Thanks for sharing this tidbit. It made me curious about the backstory and led me down a rabbit hole of research, which only led to more questions.

Troy and Tennessee have only played twice previously, and all three of their games have been in Knoxville. The first time was in the 2013-14 season, when Nia Moore was a sophomore. Nia's online bio states, "Twin sister, Annaya, played basketball at Troy (Ala.) University and is now a manager for the Lady Vols." However, further research reveals that Annaya never played a single minute for Troy, as her college playing career ended before it began, sadly, due to a foot injury.

Setting aside the obvious inaccuracy in the online bio, I guess you're saying that the two schools decided to set up a Moore sister matchup before before either sister even started her freshman year? I find that a bit ... odd. But I suppose it's possible.

Another issue is that the two schools didn't play in 2014-15 or 2015-16, but then they played again last year in Knoxville. Even if the Moore sister connection was the reason for starting the "series" (if you can call it that) back in 2013-14, why was the "series" suspended for two years and then resumed last year? And even more importantly, why have all of their games been played in Knoxville, and never at Troy?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

They work on their half court game typically. Geno starts doing that if up by more than 30. They work on the things the team is not good at rather than just try to see how many points they can score against an over-matched opponent. The team is full of highly recruited D-I athletes, he knows they can score 150, but that doesn't make the team any better or get them ready for playing ND, South Carolina, UCLA, Texas, Maryland, Louisville, Stanford, and of course the NCAA tournament.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You're talking about issues no one has raised. The point is (again) - why are Tennessee fans coming to the Boneyard to boast about record books being rewritten, etc when it's the #11 ranked team vs an unranked team? It's not like the LVs beat Notre Dame or South Carolina by 60.

Not to mention the years we had to listen to LV fans laugh about UConn playing Holy Cross or other teams they didn't deem worthy. Those fans would boast about the tough LV schedules that Summitt would put together and how she'd never consider playing a team like Holy Cross. The tables have turned and some of us are just pointing that out.

Reaction Score
Troy was down 30 at half, instead of making adjustments the coach tells the team to shoot before 7 seconds runs off the shot clock.

Reaction Score
Westbrook seems like she's for real. I don't think anyone questions the kids' abilities, or heart, but there is a question about coaching when the games get tougher. The match-up with Texas should be illuminating.

Tennessee and Texas are about even on talent level, but Nared should be the best player on the court. Holly has questions marks as a coach, but so does The Texas coach I’m picking TENN for the win.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Do you know when her current contract expires? At places like WSU, they're often more inclined to let contracts play out. She did, after all, just take them on a deep WNIT run last year.

I'm not sure how long her contract is currently. Kinda crazy that UW has seen 4 head coaches since Daugherty has been at Wazzu (Jackson, McGuff, Neighbors, Wynn).

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how long her contract is currently. Kinda crazy that UW has seen 4 head coaches since Daugherty has been at Wazzu (Jackson, McGuff, Neighbors, Wynn).
I actually looked it up last night. She's currently on an extension that goes through 2018-19.

Curiously, she had considerably more success in her time at UW than she's had at Washington State: two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this tidbit. It made me curious about the backstory and led me down a rabbit hole of research, which only led to more questions.

Troy and Tennessee have only played twice previously, and all three of their games have been in Knoxville. The first time was in the 2013-14 season, when Nia Moore was a sophomore. Nia's online bio states, "Twin sister, Annaya, played basketball at Troy (Ala.) University and is now a manager for the Lady Vols." However, further research reveals that Annaya never played a single minute for Troy, as her college playing career ended before it began, sadly, due to a foot injury.

Setting aside the obvious inaccuracy in the online bio, I guess you're saying that the two schools decided to set up a Moore sister matchup before before either sister even started her freshman year? I find that a bit ... odd. But I suppose it's possible.

Another issue is that the two schools didn't play in 2014-15 or 2015-16, but then they played again last year in Knoxville. Even if the Moore sister connection was the reason for starting the "series" (if you can call it that) back in 2013-14, why was the "series" suspended for two years and then resumed last year? And even more importantly, why have all of their games been played in Knoxville, and never at Troy?

I wondered about the rationale, and after your research, I guess I'm still wondering. Doesn't fully add up.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Curiously, she had considerably more success in her time at UW than she's had at Washington State: two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8.

Yeah she had some decent success initially at UW. Seemed like diminishing returns the longer she was there. It had gotten fairly stagnant. I had no problem w/ the school letting her go. Jackson came in w/ a good resume, there was no way to know what a disaster she would end up being.

Huh. Looking at wikipedia, the coach prior to Daugherty, Chris Gobrecht, had 3 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8. They only show 1 Elite 8 for Daugherty and otherwise a steady diet of first round losses. Much higher winning % for Gobrecht too, both in conference and overall. My impression from Daugherty's tenure at UW was that she was mediocrity personified. Not bad, but not that good either.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Huh. Looking at wikipedia, the coach prior to Daugherty, Chris Gobrecht, had 3 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8. They only show 1 Elite 8 for Daugherty and otherwise a steady diet of first round losses. Much higher winning % for Gobrecht too, both in conference and overall. My impression from Daugherty's tenure at UW was that she was mediocrity personified. Not bad, but not that good either.
That's strange. I got the info from Daugherty's wikipedia page: June Daugherty - Wikipedia

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I thought if it was on the internet it had to be true! Well some of the wiki entries are a bit contradictory.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I thought if it was on the internet it had to be true! Well some of the wiki entries are a bit contradictory.
Hmm. Upon further investigation, I think the page you saw is correct. The main discrepancy was in 2001-02, when UW indeed played in the WNIT, not the NCAA tournament.

Daugherty's operatives must be meddling with the wikipedia page.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom