How to guard Jaedon leedee | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How to guard Jaedon leedee

Reaction Score
Bigger than Karaban, quicker than clingan. So again, what’s wrong with asking the question

He ain’t great, but what is completely absurd is the ridiculous overreaction guffawing to a simple question

Simple answer

They handed Eric dixon just fine
Eric Dixon and Ledee are wildly different players. Dixon’s game is perimeter-oriented. Ledee’s game is more like Sanogo last year. He wants to go get to the basket and bang down low but he’ll take a couple of threes a game if left wide open.

Again, no one thinks it’s absurd to discuss how UConn is going to defend Ledee. Some of us think it’s a wild take to make the statement that “we don’t have a physical match up 1-1 for him”.

Reaction Score
You're getting hung up on all their guards. None of them shoot above 35% beyond the arch. Why can't they defend the Mover-Blocker action by Clingan sitting within the key and back peddle on the slashers? You can also switch assignments real time, which we do well.

1) The player Clingan would guard in this nightmare scenario does shoot over 35% from 3. It's a good thing we don't grade homework anymore. It took me a 5 second Google search to learn that. Disappointing effort. Do you think I'm not going to look?

2) But, please, let me get this straight. What you're suggesting is:
  • Clingan guards 6'5"-6'6" 210lb Reese Dixon-Waters.
  • Karaban guards the freakishly athletic 6'9 240lb Ledee instead of guarding his natural position.
  • Clingan parks himself in the paint to block shots in the help-side and leaves his man (a >35% 3-point shooter) open.
  • Clingan closes out and defends the drive on a back peddle when his man catches the ball.
What you're describing is putting Alex and Donovan in exactly the WORST matchups for them. It makes less than 0 sense.

Alex is terrible at guarding big, strong athletes who punish you at the rim. That's exactly what Ledee is--a bigger, stronger version of Hopkins or Dixon (who we had Clingan guard, btw). Clingan hasn't had a primary matchup of someone under 6'8 his entire collegiate career. I'm guessing that's for a reason. If you haven't noticed, asking a 7'2 behemoth to backpeddle and guard a slasher off the dribble 1v1 doesn't usually go very well. Why again wouldn't we want him defending their center and helping to block shots if they slash to the rim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Bigger than Karaban, quicker than clingan. So again, what’s wrong with asking the question

He ain’t great, but what is completely absurd is the ridiculous overreaction guffawing to a simple question

Simple answer

They handed Eric dixon just fine
On the Brightside, Ledee is not a better a shooter or ball handlers than Oso Ighodaro. His ferocity driving to the glass would be my only concern. I wouldn't want Clingan to have to walkout beyond the 3 point line only to have Ledee run behind a block and driv to the glass.

Reaction Score
Eric Dixon and Ledee are wildly different players. Dixon’s game is perimeter-oriented. Ledee’s game is more like Sanogo last year. He wants to go get to the basket and bang down low but he’ll take a couple of threes a game if left wide open.

Again, no one thinks it’s absurd to discuss how UConn is going to defend Ledee. Some of us think it’s a wild take to make the statement that “we don’t have a physical match up 1-1 for him”.
And again

There isn’t a perfect matchup. Hence, the question

Thank god the coach potatoes are not game planning when the discussions of physically matching up with Ledee absolutely will be a focus

Don’t think “pfft we are Uconn and have clingan” will be uttered…
Ever

Reaction Score
Have Karaban on him on the defensive side, with strategic double teams--let him get his.
Have Clingan go at him hard on the offensive side to pick up fouls.

Reaction Score
1) The player Clingan would guard in this nightmare scenario does shoot over 35% from 3. It's a good thing we don't grade homework anymore. It took me a 5 second Google search to learn that. Disappointing effort. Do you think I'm not going to look?

2) But, please, let me get this straight. What you're suggesting is:
  • Clingan guards 6'5"-6'6" 210lb Reese Dixon-Waters.
  • Karaban guards the freakishly athletic 6'9 240lb Ledee instead of guarding his natural position.
  • Clingan parks himself in the paint to block shots in the help-side and leaves his man (a >35% 3-point shooter) open.
  • Clingan closes out and defends the drive on a back peddle when his man catches the ball.
What you're describing is putting Alex and Donovan in exactly the WORST matchups for them. It makes less than 0 sense.

Alex is terrible at guarding big, strong athletes who punish you at the rim. That's exactly what Ledee is--a bigger, stronger version of Hopkins or Dixon (who we had Clingan guard, btw). Clingan hasn't had a primary matchup of someone under 6'8 his entire collegiate career. I'm guessing that's for a reason. If you haven't noticed, asking a 7'2 behemoth to backpeddle and guard a slasher off the dribble 1v1 doesn't usually go very well. Why again wouldn't we want him defending their center and helping to block shots if they slash to the rim?
This is mostly in your head and I'll leave it at.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
And again

Thank god the coach potatoes are not game planning when the discussions of physically matching up with Ledee absolutely will be a focus

Ever

We all know he's Irish, but seriously?

Reaction Score
On the Brightside, Ledee is not a better a shooter or ball handlers than Oso Ighodaro. His ferocity driving to the glass would be my only concern. I wouldn't want Clingan to have to walkout beyond the 3 point line only to have Ledee run behind a block and driv to the glass.
He can try to drive at Clingan all he wants. He is about 5-6 inches short and 30 pounds lighter. Good luck to him lol

Reaction Score
He can try to drive at Clingan all he wants. He is about 5-6 inches short and 30 pounds lighter. Good luck to him lol
Unfortunately, this is a scenario where speed prevails more often than not. I believe Clingan can recover well, which I mentioned in a previous post, but Ledee will look to run past him. If he can't his other option is shoulder in the chest to try and attract a foul.

Reaction Score
And again

Ever
That’s not the discussion or point of contention. You’re just moving the goalposts here.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is a scenario where speed prevails more often than not. I believe Clingan can recover well, which I mentioned in a previous post, but Ledee will look to run past him. If he can't his other option is shoulder in the chest to try and attract a foul.
Well that's why Clingan just needs to go straight up, which he's been doing lately. He has every size advantage against LeDee, he just needs to trust that it will be enough to make LeDee alter his shot

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

LOL he is absolutely a better shooter than Ighodaro.

Reaction Score
Here’s the deal let him shoot the 3 switch if needed but most importantly don’t get off your feet DC and SJ. He’s 6’7 best he can’t shoot over a 7’2 DC with his hands straight up. Hands up, keep your feet moving at all times like yesterday and go get the miss. He doesn’t need to get 8 blocks to impact that side of the ball. He needs to stay in the game or “bulletproof” about the window.

Reaction Score
That was against a finesse team with no interior presence where he could react against guards driving the lane. He's not going to have that luxury against SDSU and LeDee.

The other factor that we have to consider is that SDSU has seen us already, unlike all of the other teams we've blitzed in the last two Tournaments. Yes, we had some turnover and Spencer/Castle/Diarra/Johnson are not the same as Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo/Calcaterra/Alleyne, but they are not going to be intimidated by us and LeDee in particular was one of the guys who kept them in the game in the second half.

To be clear, they are a limited offensive team who shouldn't shoot the way they did against Yale, but they're also not going to be mentally out of the game 10 minutes in the way many of our opponents have been.
We had a 39 point lead against a Big 10 team while we could not hit the ocean from 3. And I am supposed to worry about Ledee?

August_West

Reaction Score
We had a 39 point lead against a Big 10 team while we could not hit the ocean from 3. And I am supposed to worry about Ledee?

We never had a 39 point lead.

Ledee is a great player, of course you should worry about him. The kid is a 2nd team All American. If you don't respect that type of player I don't know what else to say other than "welcome to the bandwagon."

Reaction Score
Well that's why Clingan just needs to go straight up, which he's been doing lately. He has every size advantage against LeDee, he just needs to trust that it will be enough to make LeDee alter his shot
If LeDee shoots 40% from the field and goes for 20/10, we’re probably winning by double digits. I would expect they’ll be very cautious with Clingan to avoid foul trouble, understanding LeDee is going to put up some numbers. Ledee needs to absolutely go off for them to have a shot.

August_West

Reaction Score
Oso is a career 63% shooter.
Great percentage, takes great looks and smart shots. The sign of an intelligent player. That does not make him a better shooter than Ledee.

Next you're going to tell me Sanogo is a better shooter than Jordan Hawkins?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Jaedon LeDee? Yes, I’ve heard. He destroys centers by the hundreds, and if he were here he’d consume the Huskies with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Face it, we can't stop him. We can't contain him. If we get him angry he may inflict enough carnage to destroy our program. I'm beginning to think we may have made a mistake by beating Northwestern.
Finally someone who gets it!

Reaction Score
Great percentage, takes great looks and smart shots. The sign of an intelligent player. That does not make him a better shooter than Ledee.

Next you're going to tell me Sanogo is a better shooter than Jordan Hawkins?
Let me get this straight, Ledee has Hawkins range? That's your comparison.

Both Oso and Sanogo are better and more efficient shooters than Ledee. You can argue Sanogo has more range than Ledee. Oso has shot 63% in the Big East for his career. Ledee is 10% lower in the Mountain West.

This is Ledee's highest scoring game of the year against Washington-- a few ide open jumpers on the elbow, several free throws and muscle in the paint.

Reaction Score

Both Oso and Sanogo are better and more efficient shooters than Ledee. You can argue Sanogo has more range than Ledee. Oso has shot 63% in the Big East for his career. Ledee is 10% lower in the Mountain West.

This is Ledee's highest scoring game of the year against Washington-- a few ide open jumpers on the elbow, several free throws and muscle in the paint.

That 17-footer is a terrible shot, and Clingan can't effectively defend it, so you just have to hope he misses. And defend him straight up to force tough makes and don't let him spend the whole game at the foul line (while forcing our guys to the bench).

August_West

Reaction Score

Ledee takes more outside shots, of course you are going to shoot a lower percentage than a player that takes 99% of their shots 8 feet and in. For example Ledee has put up 42 3 pointers this year. 42. Oso has put up 2. He takes a lot more jumpers than a pure 5.

Reaction Score
Ledee takes more outside shots, of course you are going to shoot a lower percentage than a player that takes 99% of their shots 8 feet and in. For example Ledee has put up 42 3 pointers this year. 42. Oso has put up 2. He takes a lot more jumpers than a pure 5.

You're arguing with a guy who thinks we won't have Clingan guard Ledee at all. He's a lost cause.

Reaction Score

That video is hilarious. What on earth was #34 on Washington doing all game?? Hands down on every defensive possession and it looked like he was practicing social distancing lmao

Reaction Score
That 17-footer is a terrible shot, and Clingan can't effectively defend it, so you just have to hope he misses. And defend him straight up to force tough makes and don't let him spend the whole game at the foul line (while forcing our guys to the bench).
This is exactly what I'm saying in earlier posts. You can't let his low percentage shot dictate how we play Clingan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom