How good is Baylor? | The Boneyard

How good is Baylor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor is good! I think they are FF material. I know they now have two losses, but with a much tougher schedule than some teams without losses.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This game will pay major dividends for Kim in recruiting. She just took what most have called a one-woman team and competed with UCONN, something that no other team in the nation has done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This game will pay major dividends for Kim in recruiting. She just took what most have called a one-woman team and competed with UCONN, something that no other team in the nation has done.

Who is the one woman, Sims? What a stiff. I bet Mulkey is counting the days until she is gone.

U

UCONNfan1

Would LOVE to see them again in the NCAA's. I think it would be a very different result. But hey, Baylor can hang their hat on an 11 point loss at home to UCONN. You can look at the score and say "hey Baylor is much better than I thought" or look at it and realize the officiating was so horrid in the first half and the Baylor acting was so good and realize it wasn't really a basketball game, but rather a drama competition. UCONN certainly lost the "drama" game.

Reaction Score
Would LOVE to see them again in the NCAA's. I think it would be a very different result. But hey, Baylor can hang their hat on an 11 point loss at home to UCONN. You can look at the score and say "hey Baylor is much better than I thought" or look at it and realize the officiating was so horrid in the first half and the Baylor acting was so good and realize it wasn't really a basketball game, but rather a drama competition. UCONN certainly lost the "drama" game.
Only saw the second half and it looked like Baylor was outhustling us. Give them credit, they played hard,

Reaction Score
Who is the one woman, Sims? What a stiff. I bet Mulkey is counting the days until she is gone.

4 for 25 with 7 turnovers, if Sims had shared the ball Baylor would have had a chance

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Baylor played very hard and looked well-coached. Maybe a top 5-6 team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Baylor is a tough team to play as they're constantly hustling. Can't believe how many 2nd chance point opportunities they got in the 2nd half. Didn't make many of them, but they sure got a lot of the loose balls. Nina Davis got 7 offensive rebounds by her Hustle. Will they play as well on a Neutral court or if they end up at South Bend, Louisville or Stanford?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Yes, as with Tennessee games where they lose or don't play their best, the refs were horrible.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I thought Baylor played very hard and looked well-coached. Maybe a top 5-6 team.

Behind Duke and Maryland, who were spanked at home against UCONN. Neither of those teams has the determination that Baylor has.

If Baylor wins the Big 12, they should earn a number 1 bid after that game.

Reaction Score
Baylor really impressed me. I too thought they were a one woman show. Not so. As for the refs, well they called a tight game and that seems to be the norm now with so much emphasis on hand checks. Lot's of cheapies. The UConn players adjusted in the second half. It was a good win for UConn on the road in a hostile environment. I give Baylor a lot of credit for that effort.

Reaction Score

Mulkey should have gotten Sims under control, as I said above I thought Sims should have passed more. I doubt Geno has ever had anyone go 4 for 25.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So will the loss for Baylor move them up or down in the polls?

If we drop there is no justice in the polls. No other team in women's basketball has proven that they can play with UCONN. Baylor should jump but I suspect that they will remain in their current spot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey should have gotten Sims under control, as I said above I thought Sims should have passed more. I doubt Geno has ever had anyone go 4 for 25.

I agree. There is so much talent that is not being properly utilized. In most games I have no problem with Sims shooting 25 shots, but not in this game. UCONN is way too good defensively to have Sims driving into the lane over and over throwing up bad shots.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Tip of the cap to Baylor... There's no Duke quit in those guys. I think we were a little rattled at times because they wouldn't go away. Great learning game for both teams (I'd like to think the refs could learn something from this, but I gave up on that dream a long time ago).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Baylor is good! I think they are FF material. I know they now have two losses, but with a much tougher schedule than some teams without losses.

I agree they are good. I don't know about FF material, but if they play like this, they could be there. But what's this about a tougher schedule than some teams without losses? No, as weak as some think the ND schedule is, there's no comparison to the Baylor schedule. They've played an unbeleiveably weak schedule. Even the diehard Baylor fans don't defend their schedule to date.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That's a very interesting take on Baylor's schedule, since Sagarin had it rated at #247 before tonight, far far worse than any other team in the top 15. Massey and Nolan are both much more helpful to teams that play the elite teams, but they too had Baylor way outside the range of even other teams with poor SOS such as Maryland. Losing to the top team in the nation will give Baylor's SOS a boost, but the losses to UConn and KY and the one win over WV does not give Baylor a gritty schedule up to now, though they likely will finish in Massey with the #8 SOS, 5-6 spots behind those two undefeated teams UConn and ND.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Tougher schedule? Have you LOOKED at it?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tip of the cap to Baylor... There's no Duke quit in those guys. I think we were a little rattled at times because they wouldn't go away. Great learning game for both teams (I'd like to think the refs could learn something from this, but I gave up on that dream a long time ago).

Frankly , this is a good thing.

I was thinking earlier today, as much fund as it might be to never be challenged, what happens if we are never challenged in regular season, then we run into a hot team in the tournament, we'd have nothing to fall back on.

Did you notice Geno calling a timeout in the second half when they made a run? That almost never happens. He usually calls the use it or lose in in the last 30 seconds of the first half, then calls one late int he game to get some subs in. He actually had to do some situational game coaching. The team actually had to play when the other team had a shot at tying the game in the second half, for the first time this year. Better now that in the national semi-final for the first time.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Baylor is a tough team to play as they're constantly hustling. Can't believe how many 2nd chance point opportunities they got in the 2nd half. Didn't make many of them, but they sure got a lot of the loose balls. Nina Davis got 7 offensive rebounds by her Hustle. Will they play as well on a Neutral court or if they end up at South Bend, Louisville or Stanford?

Sims, at least at the beginning of the second half was sharing the ball and getting herself some assists on her stat line, and it was working until UConn made some adjustments. UConn, well, I think that some shots were rushed, hence the misses, and some credit goes to Baylor on D, but anyway, the game might have been less close. UConn toughed it out in a hostile environment, I am very proud of them.

Sure there will be film to watch and things to fix. But I am very, very proud of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom