Holy Hoiberg: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holy Hoiberg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's good for UConn if he goes to the Bulls and fails badly.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
We have turkey vultures where I live. Occasionally they circle above me while I'm doing yard work. It's disconcerting.
Just keep moving and you'll be fine... do not, however, lie down in your hammock for extended periods of time where they can see your unmoving body...

Reaction Score
While I don't find it surprising overall, I'm kind of shocked that Hoiberg would be itching to move on so soon. I know he looks young, but he's quite young in reality so why not actually settle in and be remembered before jolting to the NBA the first good opportunity that arises? I feel like to do that you'd have to not have that much belief in your abilities to succeed at this level.

As with Ollie's brief flirts with the NBA, there's soooo much time. Succeed in college now, build a reputation, have a list of successful talented players who now look up to you and are your posse in a way, and then move on to the NBA when you're like 55 and people will actually respect you rather than take digs at your age

caw

Reaction Score
While I don't find it surprising overall, I'm kind of shocked that Hoiberg would be itching to move on so soon. I know he looks young, but he's quite young in reality so why not actually settle in and be remembered before jolting to the NBA the first good opportunity that arises? I feel like to do that you'd have to not have that much belief in your abilities to succeed at this level.

As with Ollie's brief flirts with the NBA, there's soooo much time. Succeed in college now, build a reputation, have a list of successful talented players who now look up to you and are your posse in a way, and then move on to the NBA when you're like 55 and people will actually respect you rather than take digs at your age

Well it will certainly be interesting, if Hoiberg jumps, to compare him to Donovan in this regard.

Reaction Score
Well it will certainly be interesting, if Hoiberg jumps, to compare him to Donovan in this regard.
But still, Donovan was coaching Florida for a while, won 2 championships in a row, Hoiberg has not done much. I'd say Donovan is going to be remembered in Florida but if Freddy jumps to the NBA I'd say he will be forgotten by the Iowa St family pretty quickly, as a coach that is.

Reaction Score
I don't think Hoiberg can consistently get the talent to win championships at Iowa St. At UCONN we have NYC, Boston, Baltimore, DC and the New England preps to search for talent. He needs Jucos to have a chance. Not an ideal job other than its his alma mater.

I think he knows it will be tough to keep up and he's valuable right now.

caw

Reaction Score
But still, Donovan was coaching Florida for a while, won 2 championships in a row, Hoiberg has not done much. I'd say Donovan is going to be remembered in Florida but if Freddy jumps to the NBA I'd say he will be forgotten by the Iowa St family pretty quickly, as a coach that is.

I agree to an extent, ISU will fondly remember him for his playing days at least.

But back to the previous, I was agreeing and just saying Donovan fits the mold of the 55 year old coach going to the NBA after sustained college success, even if he is still only 49, bc of how long he has been a D1 head coach.

Reaction Score
Dude can't even get past the Elite Eight in college. But if he's gettinf NBA money, can you blame him? I'm sure ISU fans can at least, they're basically P5's VCU

Reaction Score
Dude can't even get past the Elite Eight in college. But if he's gettinf NBA money, can you blame him? I'm sure ISU fans can at least, they're basically P5's VCU

Has he even gotten past the sweet 16?

Reaction Score
He's been there since 2010 and had to rebuild from the bottom, was he supposed to be reaching Final 4s right off the bat?
No but you figure he'd have done more before being offered an NBA job

Reaction Score
I think this will be sort of a sowing of wild oats thing, and at some point you will see Hoighberg back in Ames.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Ollie was getting offers after one season with no ncaa results. It doesn't always have to do with performance.

Both guys are smart, well-regarded former professionals who've displayed coaching acumen. That's all you really need.

Reaction Score
Hoiberg was a former NBA player, worked in an NBA front office, and like KO was well liked around the league and considered an NBA coach in waiting. The fact that he took a program that was in the dumps and had them competing for B12 regular season titles, won back to back conf tourney titles, all while showing a good feel for player development within an NBA offensive system made him a no brainer for an NBA job.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with Paxson and Gar Forman getting rid of Thibodeau but they have proven once again how unprofessional they are.

Reaction Score
Assuming Hoiberg leaves to coach in the NBA/Bulls next week...the question becomes will Monte Morris & Georges Niang play out their careers at ISU or transfer out????? Good chance they stay with their surrounding pieces but no guarantee. Hoiberg and Ollie are both self made hard working guys that remind me of each other to a certain degree. I wonder if there will be any personnel fall out if Fred H. leaves. Interesting...I'm just not sure.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Nba has done a great job repairing their image. I don't think donovan or hoiberg leave college ball if it were 10-15 yeas ago

Reaction Score
Assuming Hoiberg leaves to coach in the NBA/Bulls next week...the question becomes will Monte Morris & Georges Niang play out their careers at ISU or transfer out????? Good chance they stay with their surrounding pieces but no guarantee. Hoiberg and Ollie are both self made hard working guys that remind me of each other to a certain degree. I wonder if there will be any personnel fall out if Fred H. leaves. Interesting...I'm just not sure.

They'd have to sit, no? I can't imagine they would transfer out.

Reaction Score
They'd have to sit, no? I can't imagine they would transfer out.

Yep...they have to sit. Not much to go by as it relates to draft prospects so just using DX (below).

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

You have to think if its TJ they stay. If they go outside which most indications are they won't ... then you may see 1 or both bolt. You would have to think the players in this unique situation will have some input because ISU is primed for a very good season without FH. If MM or GN ever split ISU would be a fringe top25 team and next year could be a bubble team/NIT without MM.

Do you think either might benefit from a transfer for draft status purposes? I just don't know. :(

caw

Reaction Score
Hoiberg runs one of the best offensive systems in the NCAAs, one that would be fun to watch in the NBA. I'm not a huge fan of the way he coaches defense though.

Reaction Score
If the Cavs keep all their pieces together that team will be in the finals the next 2-3 years.

Thibodeau must be impossible to deal with. If the players and the organization hate him maybe it is on him. He's a great coach, but he can only be in small doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom