Have we already witnessed Paige Bueckers’ last game at UConn? | The Boneyard

Have we already witnessed Paige Bueckers’ last game at UConn?

Reaction Score
I think nearly 100% not likely. Chance to play with Azzi, Caroline and Nika too much fun, and making plenty of $$ through NIL. No need to pull the trigger early.
I really should have included playing with the rest of the team as well....this is obviously a very tight knit group.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
maybe the earth will crash next week, who knows the future? I will wait for Carnac to weigh in on this. If he doesn't know then we will all just have to sit back and wait. I will die a Husky fan cheering them on, if Paige plays again, I will be cheering just a little louder. For her sake and ours I really want her back, healthy and ready to go full speed.

Reaction Score
Yes. I don’t really believe so but I just like the word yes better than no.

Reaction Score
Will Smith Come On Man GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Are we that deep into the August lull of summer that people are writing articles like this?

Reaction Score
Maybe with the extra years available to her, she could get herself ready for this years team late in the season and bring UConn to another Final Four? Yeh, pie in the sky. Would it even cost her a year of eligibility to play for a few weeks? But also it wouldn't be smart to risk another injury. OK, forget that one. I am glad though that NIL gives players options.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? How is it conceivable for Paige to go in the WNBA 2023 (May) season. That is about 9 months from her ACL surgery. That is right on the limit of when she might be recovered enough to play medically but she can't possibly be at 100% and what good does it do to look less than her normal brilliance. Her brand would suffer if she looks average. And the opponents will be taking special aim to physically mess with her as the anointed savior to the WNBA.

Playing in the 23-24 season for UConn is the only sensible approach since she has an extra 3+ months and can ramp her way back through the college season and enter the WNBA at her very best

Reaction Score
I can’t tell the future, but I just can’t see Paige leaving UCONN before taking the opportunity to come back 2023-2024 in 100/% tip top shape.
This young lady has a world of smarts to go with the physical talent.
UCONN legacy+NCAA Championship+ NIL = springboard to lucrative & successful pro career.
I may be a tiny bit biased since I feel a bit cheated not to see her leading the charge this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
maybe the earth will crash next week, who knows the future? I will wait for Carnac to weigh in on this. If he doesn't know then we will all just have to sit back and wait. I will die a Husky fan cheering them on, if Paige plays again, I will be cheering just a little louder. For her sake and ours I really want her back, healthy and ready to go full speed.
Rest easy Moose. No worries. I have no information real or subliminally that indicates or suggests that Paige has played her last game for UConn. Me thinks this is nothing more than click bait. We were already aware that Paige will be old enough to qualify to enter the WNBA draft in 2023.

I agree with other posters here that believe Paige wants to play at least one full season with Azzi (which would be her senior year). She’s making plenty of NIL money, and it was reported here in the yard that she wants to get her degree to satisfy her mom. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume by this article they mean retirement due to injuries, not sure how serious this injury is but if she does get another injury or a setback while coming back then yes she might be forced to step away from the game.

Reaction Score
I feel the mom's comments should give us more comfort. The only meaningful silver lining to me from Paige's injury, would be if she also played in 24/25 and we got a bonus of her being added to a roster that looked pretty good without her. Playing two more years with Azzi and Caroline and Amari.

After this year when Paige returns I think it also looks better at least against the current top competition. It is hard to predict which other teams might elevate to the top tier, but at least that great recruiting class with Boston should be departing, and Jones and more gone from Stanford.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? How is it conceivable for Paige to go in the WNBA 2023 (May) season. That is about 9 months from her ACL surgery. That is right on the limit of when she might be recovered enough to play medically but she can't possibly be at 100% and what good does it do to look less than her normal brilliance. Her brand would suffer if she looks average. And the opponents will be taking special aim to physically mess with her as the anointed savior to the WNBA.
Playing in the 23-24 season for UConn is the only sensible approach since she has an extra 3+ months and can ramp her way back through the college season and enter the WNBA at her very best
While playing for UCONN Paige has suffered 2 major injuries to the same knee causing her to miss more games than she actually played in. When she last played a full healthy season she was the best player in college basketball. Using UCONN as a rehabbing/proving grown does not seem wise under these circumstances. What ever WNBA team is smart enough to draft her ( I'm pretty sure she would go no lower than #2 in the 2023 draft) has got to be smart enough to realize that the time table for a full recovery from an ACL does not align with Paige being fully healthy for the 2023 WNBA season. I hope Paige doesn't decide to leave, but I would understand if she did.

Reaction Score
I feel the mom's comments should give us more comfort. The only meaningful silver lining to me from Paige's injury, would be if she also played in 24/25 and we got a bonus of her being added to a roster that looked pretty good without her. Playing two more years with Azzi and Caroline and Amari.
Can we imagine the possibility of not just Paige staying an extra year past her would-be senior year (2024) but also Aaliyah & Nika? I mean they both have COVID years available to them. In that scenario, we’d have a 5th-year Paige, Nika and Aaliyah, senior year Azzi, Caroline, and Amari, Ice & Ayanna in their junior year, & the 2023 class of KK, Ashlynn and Qadence heading into their sophomore campaign.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The author of that clickbait puff piece, one Dan Madigan, has much to be ashamed of. He got some rather obvious facts wrong. E.g., He says Paige is a Hopkins, Minnesota native. That's a pretty neat trick for a kid born in Edina. Her high school is called Hopkins, and it is in Minnetonka. I guess for Madagain, Edina=Minnetonka=Hopkins. After all, once you go west of Danbury, all geographic indicators are just fuzzy and co-equal.

Then there is his logic, most notable for a strong resemblance to a soggy waffle. “If Bueckers does go pro, it’s possible she’d likely have to wait for the 2024 season for her debut depending on how her rehab progress.”. Do four levels of possibility equal a certainty? Oh. He mangled the final verb in that convoluted sentence.

In summary, (1) bogus “facts”, (2) sloppy—that's as kind as we can be—logic, (3) sub-standard grammar. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln…

PS-On a second pass through the Madigan Miasma, I couldn't help but notice this palinesque word salad:

It’s nearly impossible to predict when Buckers will be back to full strength and on a basketball court, but a fully healthy Bueckers would immediately make any WNBA a legitimate title contender and therefore a risk worth taking…”

Bueckers would immediately make any WNBA a legitimate title contender…. Any WNBA? How about every WNBA?
Throwing random words on screen “is a risk worth taking”, if the essay has some redeeming value. But sometimes a would-be writer serves his readership well by sitting on his thumbs until the urge to embarrass himself abates.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While playing for UCONN Paige has suffered 2 major injuries to the same knee causing her to miss more games than she actually played in. When she last played a full healthy season she was the best player in college basketball. Using UCONN as a rehabbing/proving grown does not seem wise under these circumstances. What ever WNBA team is smart enough to draft her ( I'm pretty sure she would go no lower than #2 in the 2023 draft) has got to be smart enough to realize that the time table for a full recovery from an ACL does not align with Paige being fully healthy for the 2023 WNBA season. I hope Paige doesn't decide to leave, but I would understand if she did.
I do not understand at all the bolded statement. It sounds like playing at UConn is medically riskier than the WNBA? The extra 3 months with the best medical and training facilities (not sure what the WNBA facilities are and I am sure it is very team dependent) and being able to slowly work into the season seems to me like by far the best path and being the top player working to a NC will completely reinvigorate her brand offsetting any WNBA package

If she wants to enter the WNBA in 2023 , I pray she sits very comfortably on the bench and signs autographs for the year and doesn't let an overzjealous player wipe her out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom