Have we already witnessed Paige Bueckers’ last game at UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Have we already witnessed Paige Bueckers’ last game at UConn?

Reaction Score
A bit of clickbait I'd say.........We've discussed this before PB's most recent injury..........I said I expected her to play a minimum of one more season and the injury doesn't change that.........it may make her think twice about playing four years of college ball though.......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do not understand at all the bolded statement. It sounds like playing at UConn is medically riskier than the WNBA? The extra 3 months with the best medical and training facilities (not sure what the WNBA facilities are and I am sure it is very team dependent) and being able to slowly work into the season seems to me like by far the best path and being the top player working to a NC will completely reinvigorate her brand offsetting any WNBA package
If she wants to enter the WNBA in 2023 , I pray she sits very comfortably on the bench and signs autographs for the year and doesn't let an overzjealous player wipe her out.
Playing at UCONN or playing in the WNBA carry the same risk of re-injury. As far as the quality of the WNBA medical staff vs UCONN medical staff and facilities that is debatable & IMO at least equal . Sabrina Ionescu, Kia Nurse and Stewie seems to have recovered and rehabbed pretty successfully under WNBA medical. I feel you on a chance for Paige to win NCAA championship and reinvigorating her brand, sounds great , but there are about 1/2 dozen WNBA teams that could use some level of reinvigoration as well. Paige's home town team Lynx missed the playoffs this year. This is also not UNC and if Paige returns to UCONN Geno, CD and the NCAA are going to insist that she actually take some classes. The WNBA does not have a requirement to attend class and there are no restrictions on how much time can be dedicated to basketball activities.
That comment about being wiped out by an overzealous player is rather alarmist. As a reminder, Paiges first injury was a non-contact injury and her second injury occurred during a summer practice session. Again I hope Paige returns to UCONN....

Reaction Score
Playing at UCONN or playing in the WNBA carry the same risk of re-injury. As far as the quality of the WNBA medical staff vs UCONN medical staff and facilities that is debatable & IMO at least equal . Sabrina Ionescu, Kia Nurse and Stewie seems to have recovered and rehabbed pretty successfully under WNBA medical. I feel you on a chance for Paige to win NCAA championship and reinvigorating her brand, sounds great , but there are about 1/2 dozen WNBA teams that could use some level of reinvigoration as well. Paige's home town team Lynx missed the playoffs this year. This is also not UNC and if Paige returns to UCONN Geno, CD and the NCAA are going to insist that she actually take some classes. The WNBA does not have a requirement to attend class and there are no restrictions on how much time can be dedicated to basketball activities.
That comment about being wiped out by an overzealous player is rather alarmist. As a reminder, Paiges first injury was a non-contact injury and her second injury occurred during a summer practice session. Again I hope Paige returns to UCONN....
that you Triad?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Click bait

Reaction Score
It's probably a coin toss. The reality is that Paige has suffered four serious injuries recently: ankle, meniscus, tibia fracture, and now an ACL tear. She might go on, Sue Bird-like, to spend years as a top pro. But she could also see her career end at UConn if she remains, like Shea Ralph.

She's making money on NIL's. But she could make a lot more, potentially, by turning pro next fall and picking up hundreds of thousands of dollars for the season playing in the European leagues. And she would have her NIL's and other ad money. If she gets hurt playing in Europe, she'd at least have a good deal of earnings. But if she remains at UConn? She could see her NIL earnings dry up to nothing.

We would all love to see her lead Connecticut to the WCBB promised land. But she will have to take a long, hard look at what is best for her career.

At this point, it's a coin toss.

Reaction Score
Geno wanted Paige to stay on campus this summer to work on her strength because she was getting knocked around by college players. I cringe at what would happen to her playing against WNBA players, even before the ACL injury.

Reaction Score
Geno wanted Paige to stay on campus this summer to work on her strength because she was getting knocked around by college players. I cringe at what would happen to her playing against WNBA players, even before the ACL injury.
Paige is way too frail for the WNBA at this point. Anyone who does not think so has never seen a W game up close. Not attacking anyone here but has thought been given that her injury / injuries have happened after being splayed across the floor a few plays previous.

Reaction Score
Paige has had a lot of injuries recently at this level of play. She's missed the bulk of 2 years in a row now. In her heart I think she knows her future will involve basketball but she's an influencer more than anything. She's probably going to struggle to stay on the floor going forward. An NBA team will even question her ability to stay healthy at the NBA level unless she can come back strong first. Fortunately, she may have her future secured by the time she leaves college if she invests well. It may be that staying in college is her best scenario career wise. Uconn is a heck of a platform and now is the time to have that platform. I think she might be making a million a year right now. A couple more years of that maybe even growing in college is a solid base for a professional athlete. I'm not so sure she makes more in the pros. It would be better to take the sure money now.

Reaction Score
Cocohusky has a point. It all depends on if Paige likes college. Some players just don't. The could spend the time spent on academics getting prepared to play. It might be better for her after sitting out this season to use the time to rehap and strengthen her body. Her wanting to get back on the eourt as soon as possible was probably not her best move long term. There is very little difference between the top picks in respect to salary so it does not matter how how she goes in the draft. If she is eligable it is very possible that she forgo's her eligibility to go professional. Playing another year in college might not do her much good. Husky fans need to consider it from her prespecttive and not just theirs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, since Paige was one of 4 UConn players on the UConn Academic Deans list (If my memory is right?) , she probably enjoys college well enough. And I am guessing campus life is pretty sweet as a true hero. No rush to get into the often crappy world of professional basketball. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't understand why some ppl bash the Wnba so much? Some ppl actually enjoy watching the lg so maybe Paige feels that way too. She's always attending Mystics and Sun games. Also I'm sure she would want a shot to play against her hero Taurasi in the pros.

Reaction Score
Baffling. Can't seem to separate money from playing. I wrote about exactly this situation at the time of Paige's injury, thinking specifically about Morgan Tuck's case. For Tuck it was about money. She might never get a shot at the pros if her knee finally caved during another year at UConn. So: Tuck wouldn't get a payday and wouldn't play b'ball again.
This is a calculated risk. Bueckers risks greater injury if she stays at UConn. That might shut the money spigot and end her days on the court. ESPN asked what Paige would do if she couldn't play anymore. Well, what? Plan B?
As Coco argues, she may not come back to Storrs--and understandably. Better to rehab and play in the WNBA. She's already made the case for being the best.
My guess: she plays one more season at UConn. Selfish of me? Yeah.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Lots of possibilities

-Unlikely to play W next year for the reasons noted above...but that doesn't preclude her from signing a monster contract some where else in the world...

- I think the (lets call them sentimental reasons) cited: love of teammates et al, may play a small to negligible role in her decision making...At that point, she'll have career advisors and managers to plot out a logical plan to maximize her fame and pull in the riches...sentiment be damned.

-Or the opposite may be true, doing just fine with the potential income at UConn and staying an extra year...
why not? the W isn't so great...See the nonsense of commercial flights and players sleeping in airports.

My guess: If Russia would have been available and China not looking so inviting... perhaps pro but since they're not...She may well hang around.

Reaction Score
I read this in the paper, BS. Paige is making and shall make more NIL than most W's do in salaries. She has 3 years, the paper said, left in her availability. I believe 3 maybe 2 guaranteed. She want the 2 titles in her back pocket and she will have and will be getting very very top helpers. No way she leaves in less than 2 maybe 3.
Can we imagine the possibility of not just Paige staying an extra year past her would-be senior year (2024) but also Aaliyah & Nika? I mean they both have COVID years available to them. In that scenario, we’d have a 5th-year Paige, Nika and Aaliyah, senior year Azzi, Caroline, and Amari, Ice & Ayanna in their junior year, & the 2023 class of KK, Ashlynn and Qadence heading into their sophomore campaign.
We don't read minds or have any knowledge what the mentality of the team may be 2 years hence. But, Since AZZI and Paige are long time friends it can be speculated that Azzi shall stay with Paige, assuming Paige stays. Edwards and Nika will do what is best for them, i predict. Caroline is a good probability. The Freshmen this year and next along with experience in the past year, current and post year freshman may exceed our expectation, in my case hopes. With that happening, 2 years most likely ( yea, I toned it down from a guarantee, I can't afford the cost), 3 years possible.

Reaction Score
Baffling. Can't seem to separate money from playing. I wrote about exactly this situation at the time of Paige's injury, thinking specifically about Morgan Tuck's case. For Tuck it was about money. She might never get a shot at the pros if her knee finally caved during another year at UConn. So: Tuck wouldn't get a payday and wouldn't play b'ball again.
This is a calculated risk. Bueckers risks greater injury if she stays at UConn. That might shut the money spigot and end her days on the court. ESPN asked what Paige would do if she couldn't play anymore. Well, what? Plan B?
As Coco argues, she may not come back to Storrs--and understandably. Better to rehab and play in the WNBA. She's already made the case for being the best.
My guess: she plays one more season at UConn. Selfish of me? Yeah.
Injuries have a tendency to change the way we think, our ability to take chances. Paige, has shown she only has one way of playing--all out. If she can't or won't do that???? I'll tell her the same thing I wrote to Lou Alcindor--take the money, don't risk an (other) injury. Lou didn't listen, Kareem didn't either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, since Paige was one of 4 UConn players on the UConn Academic Deans list (If my memory is right?) , she probably enjoys college well enough. And I am guessing campus life is pretty sweet as a true hero. No rush to get into the often crappy world of professional basketball. :rolleyes:
Being on the Dean's List is a great accomplishment and also an indication that the student is very good at academics. It is not necessarily an indication that you actually "like" academics. There are plenty of people that are good at their jobs but don't like what they are doing. Morgan Tuck had a pretty sweet campus life and was a true hero as well, yet Morgan left UCONN for the WNBA with remaining eligibility. There are many things that can be improved with women's professional basketball but I would call it crappy because it is what so many young women (including Paige) are aspiring to.

Reaction Score
Cocohusky has a point. It all depends on if Paige likes college. Some players just don't. The could spend the time spent on academics getting prepared to play. It might be better for her after sitting out this season to use the time to rehap and strengthen her body. Her wanting to get back on the eourt as soon as possible was probably not her best move long term. There is very little difference between the top picks in respect to salary so it does not matter how how she goes in the draft. If she is eligable it is very possible that she forgo's her eligibility to go professional. Playing another year in college might not do her much good. Husky fans need to consider it from her prespecttive and not just theirs.

They can find Bueckers some 6 credit independent study projects. :rolleyes:

I'm selfish and want her to play 2 more years. I'm hoping Fudd does to her what she did to Fudd as far as being a good salesman.

Reaction Score
I told this story to a few posters, but I knew of a wrestler who tore 2 acl's one in each lg, and stepped away for 2 years. Amazingly cameback and he is able to wrestle, but I think the best decision he did was stepping away for a couple of years to fully recover. The mental side is just as affecting as the physical side especially in rehab.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Being on the Dean's List is a great accomplishment and also an indication that the student is very good at academics. It is not necessarily an indication that you actually "like" academics. There are plenty of people that are good at their jobs but don't like what they are doing. Morgan Tuck had a pretty sweet campus life and was a true hero as well, yet Morgan left UCONN for the WNBA with remaining eligibility. There are many things that can be improved with women's professional basketball but I would call it crappy because it is what so many young women (including Paige) are aspiring to.
Just exploring potential hints.

In my mind, it is a no brainer that she will be back for another year and I had stated my reasoning elsewhere but of course, others can look at the same puzzle pieces with different weights attributed to each hint and see something entirely different.

I do think being a good student coupled with her prior statements that she wants a degree is a very good puzzle piece.

Morgan had won 4 NC's already. Nuff said.

Yes, the WNBA is the attraction every player dreams of and Paige is no different but I also think the difficulties in the day to day life style are not well understood by incoming players and maybe Paige with her unique contacts with so many current WNBA players has a better sense than most.

I seem to recall Diana saying the best years of her life were at UConn with it's true family atmosphere and the WNBA is filled with alot of individuals and personality issues (i.e. jealousies) and other "crap?"

Reaction Score
And, if nothing else, her recent spate of injuries SUPPORT the need for a strong educational foundation.
These injuries illuminate the fact that basketball can be taken away, at any time, under the most unexpected of circumstances.
Having a Masters Degree in the discipline of her choice can provide her a lifetime of security.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And, if nothing else, her recent spate of injuries SUPPORT the need for a strong educational foundation.
These injuries illuminate the fact that basketball can be taken away, at any time, under the most unexpected of circumstances.
Having a Masters Degree in the discipline of her choice can provide her a lifetime of security.
Aah. Doubling down. From Bachelors to Masters. Nice Idea.

Reaction Score
Aah. Doubling down. From Bachelors to Masters. Nice Idea.
And I’m pretty sure, regardless of her playing status, UCONN would pick up the dime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom