Has Conference Realignment at Last Reached a Lull? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Has Conference Realignment at Last Reached a Lull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The B1G does not have an exit fee. No reason for one to exist. Teams don't leave the B1G for other conferences.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The B1G does not have an exit fee. No reason for one to exist. Teams don't leave the B1G for other conferences.
But it does have GOR thru 2027. In theory, this is a tie up that would need to be bought out of if a team did desire to leave.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maryland's Lawyers just got tossed off the case.
http://www.ncbusinesslitigationrepo...sity-of-marylands-lawyers-on-a-pro-hac-basis/

Do you know what the size of the Big Ten Exit Fee is? If it is higher than the ACC's how can Maryland argue that the ACC's is punitive if it signed up for one larger in the B1G? I see zero reason for the ACC to settle for anything below $52 million.
Did you actually read this Stimpy? The three attorneys aren't NC counsel so that asked for permission to represent MD in NC courts for this case only. Two of the three weren't allowed to the third one was. That's a different thing then being "kicked off the case"

Here's the actual order

Reaction Score
But it does have GOR thru 2027. In theory, this is a tie up that would need to be bought out of if a team did desire to leave.

This point is so dumb.

Hey, will you agree to a big exit penalty to join a conference that pays $40m a year? YES.
Will you agree to a big exit penalty to join a conference that pays $20m a year? HELL NO.

pj

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They say it's "early in the first quarter" of this case. Presumably that means it is less than 1/8 over. It's a year and a half old, so we have over 10 years left to go.

If CR is awaiting the resolution of this case, it looks like it could happen about when TV contracts come up for renewal again.
The ACC just needs to file for injuction after August 1, since the bylaws give Maryland 30 days to pay the exit fee, to have the court prevent Maryland from appearing on any media outlet of Newscorp, Disney, Comcast, and Vicom until this debt is paid.

Reaction Score
Did you actually read this Stimpy? The three attorneys aren't NC counsel so that asked for permission to represent MD in NC courts for this case only. Two of the three weren't allowed to the third one was. That's a different thing then being "kicked off the case"

Here's the actual order
Yes. Not being permitted to be on the case is tossed to me.

Reaction Score
How does a moron like you not know what the Big Ten exit fee is?
I don't know anything about the Big Ten, never watch the Big Ten, and don't have any real interest in the Big Ten. Therefore I have not a clue what the Big Ten bylaws are. I've never read them or seen them in my life. I know how their teams perform against national competition in the major sports and some others, but that's about it. I have to look up anything to talk about it.

Reaction Score
This point is so dumb.

Hey, will you agree to a big exit penalty to join a conference that pays $40m a year? YES.
Will you agree to a big exit penalty to join a conference that pays $20m a year? HELL NO.

Point being agreed to Big Exit Penalties in both cases, therefore neither are punitive. Pay up!

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about the Big Ten, never watch the Big Ten, and don't have any real interest in the Big Ten. Therefore I have not a clue what the Big Ten bylaws are. I've never read them or seen them in my life. I know how their teams perform against national competition in the major sports and some others, but that's about it. I have to look up anything to talk about it.

I must say this board was readable on your hiatus. Do you have a vacation coming up?

Reaction Score
Point being agreed to Big Exit Penalties in both cases, therefore neither are punitive. Pay up!

They agreed to a $20m exit penalty in the poor league and a GOR in the rich league.

Are you dense?

Reaction Score
They agreed to a $20m exit penalty in the poor league and a GOR in the rich league.

Are you dense?
Except the league they are leaving has a fee more than $20 million. Isn't that what this is all about? It went up to over $50mm and that is what MD does not want to pay even though it was (assumption on my part coming up) agreed to and approved by the conference in accordance with its bylaws. As part of the ACC at the time it was passed and implemented, MD was subject to it, unless a court decides otherwise. They had not accepted an invite to the B1G before it was approved.

Sometimes, when you are part of a larger group, you don't get what you vote for but you still have to abide by the result. Of course, given some recent rulings by the SCOTUS, I have serious doubts about that being correct going forward.

Reaction Score

Are you dense?
Maryland agreed to be bound by the bylaws of the conference that state that the vote of a certain percentage of the council of presidents binds the entire membership to what it votes on. Maryland voted against adding Florida State to the league, but last I checked FSU is a member. They don't have to be part of the majority that passes legislation to be bound by it.

I know the difference in a GOR and exit fee, but both carry a financial component and the one they just signed up for is larger than the one they are disputing. So if you signed up for one bigger than what you are claiming is too big, you look quite silly.

Reaction Score
Except the league they are leaving has a fee more than $20 million. Isn't that what this is all about? It went up to over $50mm and that is what MD does not want to pay even though it was (assumption on my part coming up) agreed to and approved by the conference in accordance with its bylaws. As part of the ACC at the time it was passed and implemented, MD was subject to it, unless a court decides otherwise. They had not accepted an invite to the B1G before it was approved.

Sometimes, when you are part of a larger group, you don't get what you vote for but you still have to abide by the result. Of course, given some recent rulings by the SCOTUS, I have serious doubts about that being correct going forward.

However, Maryland is arguing that the ACC did not follow its own bylaws when the next exit fee "passed." and the question also is if the new fee is punitive. Maryland agreed to join the Big Ten shortly after the new exit fee "passed."

You are right that any member would be bound by any by-laws (that did not violate the law), that were passed using the proper procedures, even if opposed. The court will decide if the exit fee was passed in a valid manner, and if the exit fee is legal.

Further, if any other university was under similar circumstances, only the most incompetent and imbecilic president would have accepted the new exit fee.

Reaction Score

You are so full of !!!!! You troll every conference realignment board on the internet, you have spent the last year on the BY talking about the B1G and now you have the balls to say you "don't know anything about the Big Ten, never watch the Big Ten, and don't have any real interest in the Big Ten". Get the duck out of here & go die in a hole!!!!!

Sorry Fishy, if you need to send me to timeout for a while I'll understand but I can't take this jerkoff anymore

Reaction Score
However, Maryland is arguing that the ACC did not follow its own bylaws when the next exit fee "passed." and the question also is if the new fee is punitive. Maryland agreed to join the Big Ten shortly after the new exit fee "passed."

You are right that any member would be bound by any by-laws (that did not violate the law), that were passed using the proper procedures, even if opposed. The court will decide if the exit fee was passed in a valid manner, and if the exit fee is legal.

Further, if any other university was under similar circumstances, only the most incompetent and imbecilic president would have accepted the new exit fee.
Which is why I said it was an assumption on my part. If the ACC did not learn from the BE to dot the i's and cross the t's when changing fees, they deserve to lose. That is what gets decided first.

The punitive question is another whole issue that becomes moot if the increase was not passed correctly. Assuming (see I said it again) it was, then punitive is MD's only hope. Not knowing how a court interprets punitive in NC, MD may want to settle for higher than $20mm if they lose the procedure point.

Reaction Score
You are so full of !!!!! You troll every conference realignment board on the internet, you have spent the last year on the BY talking about the B1G and now you have the balls to say you "don't know anything about the Big Ten, never watch the Big Ten, and don't have any real interest in the Big Ten". Get the out of here & go die in a hole!!!!!

Sorry Fishy, if you need to send me to timeout for a while I'll understand but I can't take this jerkoff anymore
I said I know how their teams perform and their records in the major sports and some others, but I don't know Big Ten bylaws, and I don't have or watch the BTN. I really don't. I was responding to someone who said I should know the Big Ten Exit Fee. How the hell should I know? I've never seen the bylaws.

Reaction Score
I said I know how their teams perform and their records in the major sports and some others, but I don't know Big Ten bylaws, and I don't have or watch the BTN. I really don't. I was responding to someone who said I should know the Big Ten Exit Fee. How the hell should I know? I've never seen the bylaws.
I have to agree with bobby you are a jerkoff

pj

Reaction Score

Here's the actual order

Yeah ... it's not unusual to have your main attorneys do all the out-of-court strategy and legal argument work and have some local attorney represent you in the courtroom. The judge didn't say these attorneys couldn't work for Maryland, just that they couldn't represent them in court. Small loss.

Reaction Score
Which is why I said it was an assumption on my part. If the ACC did not learn from the BE to dot the i's and cross the t's when changing fees, they deserve to lose. That is what gets decided first.

The punitive question is another whole issue that becomes moot if the increase was not passed correctly. Assuming (see I said it again) it was, then punitive is MD's only hope. Not knowing how a court interprets punitive in NC, MD may want to settle for higher than $20mm if they lose the procedure point.

I missed the "assumption" part. My apologies. I agree with your points.

Reaction Score
I still say Virginia has reason to move, but they need a partner.
I missed this. Where are we supposed to be going? As far as I can tell, we're in the best possible place we could be already.

Reaction Score
I missed this. Where are we supposed to be going? As far as I can tell, we're in the best possible place we could be already.

Happens to all of us...
forest-for-trees.jpg

Reaction Score
Maryland agreed to be bound by the bylaws of the conference that state that the vote of a certain percentage of the council of presidents binds the entire membership to what it votes on. Maryland voted against adding Florida State to the league, but last I checked FSU is a member. They don't have to be part of the majority that passes legislation to be bound by it.

I know the difference in a GOR and exit fee, but both carry a financial component and the one they just signed up for is larger than the one they are disputing. So if you signed up for one bigger than what you are claiming is too big, you look quite silly.

They tried to leave as soon as the exit fee became onerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom