Has Clingan's successs caused Sanogo to press? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has Clingan's successs caused Sanogo to press?

Reaction Score
I love our guys but if I was an NBA scout, there is no way in hell would I waste a draft choice on him.

Reaction Score
Adama's post-ups are good when he holds the ball for less than 3 seconds. He needs to learn to put up the shot, try a counter, and pass the ball back out. When he starts dancing and pump faking 2 or more times is when things get ugly.
When he's in single coverage like in the Creighton game he can take a lot of time and he gets score after score. Some of those moves against them seemed like they took 5 seconds. I have no idea what Greg McDermott was doing.

When he gets doubled he doesn't recognize and still acts like he's in single coverage and takes forever with his moves getting bottled up and stripped by better athletes.

Reaction Score
Villanueva, Boone and Okafor were all talented, tall and arguably part of the best uconn team we ever had. Hurley needs to watch some old tapes and make it work with multiple Bigs- Clingan and Sanogo and Samson Johnson when he's ready.

Those were completely different kinds of players. It’s not Judy height, but even with regard to that, none of those 3 were 7 feet. It has nothing to do with Hurley watching tapes. And the idea that Hurley is somehow supposed to make it work assumes that there’s actually a way to do that which will make the team better.

Reaction Score
Somewhat related question: if we go two big, will it be harder for teams to double? At least Donovan's man on the block probably won't come off him, but I'd imagine the strongside wing, or PG, will still go ahead and double the same as they have all season. Maybe it has more to do with Sanogo realizing how to pass out of doubles and punish other teams for doing it, rather than playing another big. Anyone else?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AS has been very limited offensively and other NBE teams know how they can further limit him. Defensively he appears to be less aggressive because he wants to limit fouling. Not sure if it’s his idea or the staff. DC has the height and reach that very few others can counter. He is also more seasoned in playing the game and his bb iq is outstanding. I wish AS had worked on creating a midrange game.
Can’t claim to know if AS is pressing too much. I just feel he no longer is a secret and really can’t offer many alternatives. Not saying he isn’t a good player by any means. DC is a much better 5 and AS is not a strong 4. UConn needs both at this point.

Reaction Score
How could anyone on this board possibly know if Adama is pressing?
True. This is a good question. We can’t make that claim for certain, but, because we can’t see into his head with our eyes do we rule it out? There are unquantifiable things that happen in games that we tend to ignore simply because they don’t deal with the purely physical. Have you ever seen someone in “the zone?” That is a mental state that allows for the body to do as it wants. We all agree it exists but the unseen mental, nonphysical part of the game seems too “Mumbo jumbo” for some, even though we know it’s real.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. Sanogo’s issues with being double teamed (and putting up bad possessions because of them) isn’t a new issue. He’s putting up career highs in points and career highs in all 3 shooting percentages. Just 6 days ago he put up 26 on the reigning BE DPOY

Being swarmed by multiple defenders every possession is pressing him, not Clingan’s great play. Hard to slow down and let the game come to you when you’re getting rushed by secondary defenders every time you touch the ball
Not to rain on parade, because I truly think Adama won us creighton game , but Sanogo took HALF of teams shots against creighton and shot 50% . Just like I bash Hurley for Marquette, I credit Hurley for riding his horse there.it worked that game. But I went hoarse last year saying a high usage center at 50% is detrimental to college game, and he hast been for much of year because he was shooting 60 through creighton. Any center who takes 50 percent of shots and shoots 50% is usually a bad formula

Reaction Score
Not to rain on parade, because I truly think Adama won us creighton game , but Sanogo took HALF of teams shots against creighton and shot 50% . Just like I bash Hurley for Marquette, I credit Hurley for riding his horse there.it worked that game. But I went hoarse last year saying a high usage center at 50% is detrimental to college game, and he hast been for much of year because he was shooting 60 through creighton. Any center who takes 50 percent of shots and shoots 50% is usually a bad formula
Per 40 in Big East play-
Sanogo
22.8 pts, 9.5 rebs, .8 blocks, 57% field goals, 2.8 free throw attempts 50% ft's

Clingan
23.4 pts, 17.5 rebs, 7.2 blocks, 69% field goals, 8.5 free throw attempts 63% ft's

Reaction Score

Why?

Reaction Score
Adama's post-ups are good when he holds the ball for less than 3 seconds. He needs to learn to put up the shot, try a counter, and pass the ball back out. When he starts dancing and pump faking 2 or more times is when things get ugly.
It’s funny because I both agree with that and vehemently disagree because often when he starts spinning and faking those plays end up as his best highlights. Dude has a supernatural ability to anchor his pivot foot and go to town. I know he got a travel last night but that was caused by the way he bumped into the defender to create space, he bounced off of him and couldn’t recover instantly.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Per 40 in Big East play-
Sanogo
22.8 pts, 9.5 rebs, .8 blocks, 57% field goals, 2.8 free throw attempts 50% ft's

Clingan
23.4 pts, 17.5 rebs, 7.2 blocks, 69% field goals, 8.5 free throw attempts 63% ft's
Joeys per 40 stats in non conference play would’ve made him look like a hall of famer.

Reaction Score
AS has been very limited offensively and other NBE teams know how they can further limit him. Defensively he appears to be less aggressive because he wants to limit fouling. Not sure if it’s his idea or the staff. DC has the height and reach that very few others can counter. He is also more seasoned in playing the game and his bb iq is outstanding. I wish AS had worked on creating a midrange game.
Can’t claim to know if AS is pressing too much. I just feel he no longer is a secret and really can’t offer many alternatives. Not saying he isn’t a good player by any means. DC is a much better 5 and AS is not a strong 4. UConn needs both at this point.
I think Sanogo has a pretty solid midrange game, but he definitely hasn’t been using it as much this year. Might have something to do with our personnel, and Hurley wants that midrange area open so that Hawkins and Jackson can work with the screens to get open.

To me, he’s always been a damn good jump shooter from 12-15 feet, teams will let him have it because they have to, and he usually would make them pay

Reaction Score
Joeys per 40 stats in non conference play would’ve made him look like a hall of famer.
Do you have a point?

Joey's a shooter

He was over 50% from three in nonconference and his per 40 in conference is- 11.2 points, 20% from three

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Do you have a point?

Joey's a shooter

He was over 50% from three in nonconference and his per 40 in conference is- 11.2 points, 20% from three
Per40 numbers are often meaningless.

Reaction Score
How could anyone on this board possibly know if Adama is pressing?
Obviously everyone is speculating, but it seems to me like his issues are the same they have always been when he has gotten into a rut the last two years, that’s why I don’t think he is pressing because of clingan.

Reaction Score
Adama has to learn how to pass. He forces the issue and everyone in the building and watching on TV knows what’s he’s going to do.
The defense collapses on him and he won’t pass so it’s either a tough shot or turnover.
The only reason he had success against Creighton is McDermott refused to collapse on him when he got the ball.
It still blows my mind that Creighton didn’t double him literally at all.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Obviously everyone is speculating, but it seems to me like his issues are the same they have always been when he has gotten into a rut the last two years, that’s why I don’t think he is pressing because of clingan.

'Someone tell the rest of us what "pressing" means. Seriously.

Reaction Score
Did Josh Boone's freshman year success cause Okafor to press? We need to get both Don + Adama on the court at the same time. We need to lean into the strengths of the team. They are our two best players, they both need minutes. It can be done. Make it happen!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. I hope Clingan's success has made Sanogo put pressure on himself to perform.
2. I hope Sanogo figures it out and responds.
3. If Sanogo can't keep up, time to figure out a supporting role.

Any organization bringing in higher talent should push those already in the organization to lift their skill level and ways of contributing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom