Has Clingan's successs caused Sanogo to press? | The Boneyard

Has Clingan's successs caused Sanogo to press?

Reaction Score
We're so lucky to have a tandem as talented as these two, and like many here, I'd like to see them on the floor together, especially if Adama's future career is as a 4. However, I'm wondering if Sanogo is pressing a bit because of the terrific job, and accompanying accolades, that Clingan has done? At times it's seemed as if Sanogo is trying too hard to showcase his talents, when maybe all he really needs to do is relax a bit and let the game slow down for him. Anyone else feel this way?

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. I haven’t thought of this exchange exactly but I think we tend to overlook the mental side of this game, especially with kids this young with so much ‘adult’ expectation thrown at them. We know they are physically gifted, so it follows that if they have had a drop off from their previous or expected performance, a mental worm may play a big part. Clingan and Karaban are playing with house money as freshman and they are playing great. whereas we know all about sanogo and Hawkins preseason hype. And they have been hot/cold. Diarra and Jackson have become afraid to shoot at times.
I think you really have something here. Great post.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think so. I think the team is simply running different offense and different defense depending on who is at center. I think the team gets confused and out of sorts, and starts to look dysfunctional. Last game we couldn't get anything going with Sanogo in. The game before we were much better with Sanogo than with Clingan. I think it's a problem Dan needs to fix, but it isn't due to Sanogo or Clingan, it's mostly the way the other 4 guys play around them.

Reaction Score
We're so lucky to have a tandem as talented as these two, and like many here, I'd like to see them on the floor together, especially if Adama's future career is as a 4. However, I'm wondering if Sanogo is pressing a bit because of the terrific job, and accompanying accolades, that Clingan has done? At times it's seemed as if Sanogo is trying too hard to showcase his talents, when maybe all he really needs to do is relax a bit and let the game slow down for him. Anyone else feel this way?
It's a reasonable thought to have. I'm sure Adama must be feeling pressure to perform. That's completely natural when your backup plays so well. I think Sanogo got into some bad habits last year when he was playing with more players that were limited offensively. Last year, in many cases the highest percentage play was for him to force some shots where he shouldn't. This year he has shooters to pass out to. He should be finding the open man when he gets doubled.

The biggest thing that we don't know is how practice is going between him and Clingan. If Clingan is playing better than him in practice, that has to be adding pressure to him.

Reaction Score
As a side note, a friend of mine was an A ball pitcher in the Rays’ organization for years. Had a nasty 12-6 curveball and threw 98-100 consistently as a southpaw. But his innings were stalled and he was ultimately cut. He is a very smart guy. When he was able to talk about it I asked him why someone like Wade Davis or James Shields who had similar gifts, skyrocketed through the ranks. He said it all boils down to one thing: they were mentally tougher. X’s and O’s is the easy explanation because it’s visible with the seeing eye only.

Reaction Score
Did Josh Boone's freshman year success cause Okafor to press? We need to get both Don + Adama on the court at the same time. We need to lean into the strengths of the team. They are our two best players, they both need minutes. It can be done. Make it happen!

Reaction Score
especially if Adama's future career is as a 4.

His future career is not as a 4. Newton's future career isn't as a 5 either. Both of those options are not feasible based on their current skillset.

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. Sanogo’s issues with being double teamed (and putting up bad possessions because of them) isn’t a new issue. He’s putting up career highs in points and career highs in all 3 shooting percentages. Just 6 days ago he put up 26 on the reigning BE DPOY

Being swarmed by multiple defenders every possession is pressing him, not Clingan’s great play. Hard to slow down and let the game come to you when you’re getting rushed by secondary defenders every time you touch the ball

Reaction Score
This team is also great at home. Home court doesn’t give you special powers physically, it calms you down mentally and the crowd noise in your favor builds confidence so you can perform to your level. Mental first > then physical. (Knowing your rim and your court doesn’t account for the huge advantage home court gives). If teams can figure us out so easily, according to some, how come they can’t figure us out at home?

Reaction Score
Sanogo has trouble when teams attack his deficiencies. I think it’s as simple as that. He has trouble passing out of the double teams and gets to be a black hole when his moves aren’t working and never kicks the ball back out. Those looked extra poor Vs Marquette because of the way they pressure and how good Clingan looks.

Reaction Score
Did Josh Boone's freshman year success cause Okafor to press? We need to get both Don + Adama on the court at the same time. We need to lean into the strengths of the team. They are our two best players, they both need minutes. It can be done. Make it happen!
Okafor was one of the most mentally mature players this program has ever had. Unflappable. Enough where he ignored his aging body and staged an nba comeback. I’m not saying it’s all mental but I think (clearly from my abundance of posts on this thread,sorry) that this team may have some growing up to do.

Reaction Score
Nah. Marquette just did a great job getting their hands on the ball. They stripped him (cleanly) like 3x. And other teams have complained to refs to watch for his travels so they're keying in on it. Calling travels on things that 80% of time guys get away with it (but he has the ball pivoting a lot so it's magnified).

He's always been in attack mode. Coaches have him wired that way. Passing out of the double team is an ongoing learning experience for him. Marquette did a good job doubling at different times and helping from different spots.

Absolutely just one of those games where nothing went right.

Reaction Score
Okafor was one of the most mentally mature players this program has ever had. Unflappable. Enough where he ignored his aging body and staged an nba comeback. I’m not saying it’s all mental but I think (clearly from my abundance of posts on this thread,sorry) that this team may have some growing up to do.

They need to play together. You have to play your best players. We are not good enough to have Clingan on the bench for long stretches. Hurley needs to figure this out, I think he will.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say he presses, but I do think against Marquette he was looking for his offense even more than usual. I know he's usually a black hole when he gets the ball, but I felt like there were a few possessions where he even usually passes the ball that he put up a bad shot last game

Reaction Score
This team is also great at home. Home court doesn’t give you special powers physically, it calms you down mentally and the crowd noise in your favor builds confidence so you can perform to your level. Mental first > then physical. (Knowing your rim and your court doesn’t account for the huge advantage home court gives). If teams can figure us out so easily, according to some, how come they can’t figure us out at home?
They've played Stonehill, BU, Buffalo, UNC-Wilmington, Delaware State, Okie State, LIU, Georgetown, Nova, and Creighton at home so far. Let's see us beat all three of Xavier, Providence, and Marquette at home before we say UConn is great at home.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Nah I don't think he is pressing but do think that he needs to do a better job with the double team. I also think the other 4 guys can't be standing around watching Adama's pirouettes rather they should be moving more to give him better options to pass

Reaction Score
In conference games Adama is exceeding his stats from last season except on the boards so far. I feel his rebounding woes are because of the defense he's in required to play. I don't really like the high hedge or defensive switches with Adama above the foul line especially without Whaley. I know we just played the toughest part of our league schedule but we are scoring slightly less and giving up slight more points than last season. Hard to believe we are shooting a lower % too.

Reaction Score
Villanueva, Boone and Okafor were all talented, tall and arguably part of the best uconn team we ever had. Hurley needs to watch some old tapes and make it work with multiple Bigs- Clingan and Sanogo and Samson Johnson when he's ready. Our guards are constantly getting blown by and having multiple bigs there to greet them at the rim can only help us in the long run. or 2 point field goal % defense is embarrassing right now.

Reaction Score
They've played Stonehill, BU, Buffalo, UNC-Wilmington, Delaware State, Okie State, LIU, Georgetown, Nova, and Creighton at home so far. Let's see us beat all three of Xavier, Providence, and Marquette at home before we say UConn is great at home.
That is very true. Good point. I am still convinced that the mental side plays such a huge role, especially in college, and since it’s not easily quantifiable it’s easy to ignore. I know youre a baseball guy and I’m sure you can attest to this.

Reaction Score
Adama has to learn how to pass. He forces the issue and everyone in the building and watching on TV knows what’s he’s going to do.
The defense collapses on him and he won’t pass so it’s either a tough shot or turnover.
The only reason he had success against Creighton is McDermott refused to collapse on him when he got the ball.

Reaction Score
Am still not all in on Adama

Cw
Ok
Nah. Marquette just did a great job getting their hands on the ball. They stripped him (cleanly) like 3x. And other teams have complained to refs to watch for his travels so they're keying in on it. Calling travels on things that 80% of time guys get away with it (but he has the ball pivoting a lot so it's magnified).

He's always been in attack mode. Coaches have him wired that way. Passing out of the double team is an ongoing learning experience for him. Marquette did a good job doubling at different times and helping from different spots.

Absolutely just one of those games where nothing went right.
This is because good coaches are figuring the offense out there is no driving and dishing anymore as the others aren’t moving without the ball and not getting open it’s one and done as they have stopped crashing the boards The offensive flow of the game has stopped because of it…play Clingan
He has become our only consistent offense
Adamo allows the double teams and he isn’t passing to the open man when that happens
Clingan looks like a young Bill Walton
The offense should revolve more around his passing and shooting skills
And
What is it with Adamo and never jamming the ball??? That shows authority and strength.
Gotta look tough out there
Every layin off the backboard looks pretty soft
And scares nobody .. it’s a war out there

Reaction Score
I know I’m likely in the minority but even when we know Sanogo is going to put up a shot I am on board for that shot 80% of the time. I don’t think Clingans skills and success have caused Adama to play more hurried, but I definitely think the MU game we saw a rushed and off kilter Adama because of the defense they were playing on him

Reaction Score
Sanogo has trouble when teams attack his deficiencies. I think it’s as simple as that. He has trouble passing out of the double teams and gets to be a black hole when his moves aren’t working and never kicks the ball back out. Those looked extra poor Vs Marquette because of the way they pressure and how good Clingan looks.
Seems like three moves by Santago get him in trouble. One (1) a need to pause which allows double teams to work
Two (2) a need to dribble offering steal opportunities
Three (3) he doesn't hold the ball high but gathers it in.
All are correctable by a great player growing his game.

Reaction Score
I know I’m likely in the minority but even when we know Sanogo is going to put up a shot I am on board for that shot 80% of the time. I don’t think Clingans skills and success have caused Adama to play more hurried, but I definitely think the MU game we saw a rushed and off kilter Adama because of the defense they were playing on him

Adama's post-ups are good when he holds the ball for less than 3 seconds. He needs to learn to put up the shot, try a counter, and pass the ball back out. When he starts dancing and pump faking 2 or more times is when things get ugly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom