Good news for Notre Dame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Good news for Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This just in...Mark Emmert NCAA President announced that Notre Dame will be banned from all NCAA sponsored post season competition for a 3 year period. Principal Sr. Mary Getrude, SND, expressed surprise when she received Emmert's letter. "We are a Catholic High School for girls, we don't play in the NCAA and we haven't had a cheating scandal," the nun commented. Emmert, however, insisted that the school be penalized. "Hey, you want us to penalize THE Notre Dame? What are you, nuts? But somebody has to take the hit for this and since there isn't a D2 or 3 school available, we settled for this girls high school," said the NCAA head. Texas AD Steve Patterson applauded Emmert's quick action saying, "Those girls aren't pulling there weight around here. Serves them right." SEC Commissioner Mike Slive announced the the SEC would be getting most of the proceeds from ticket sales to the panthers' upcoming field hockey season. "Cain't never have too much cash," said Slive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_High_School_for_Girls
At least it wasn't ND of West Haven or Fairfield

Reaction Score
I am not "patting myself on the back" Kyle. I posted this morning what I knew or heard from rumor, emails, tweets, Pat Forde, etc... (just like everyone else).

I posted the link because it is the first official news from ND on this issue, that is all. "Conspiracy kitty" not needed here.

Actually I do apologize in that I just reread your earlier post and reread the post you responded to and took it out of context. I am sorry for that. I agree you were not patting yourself on the back for anything after seeing which post you responded to. It wasn't the link that had me confused, it was the "but I was right here" comment. I realize now you were just saying you had been posting in this thread all along.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it. Diaco CANNOT BE INVOLVED. I'm already all in.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest as much as we don't like ND ,there are coaches in unnamed Conferences who are scratching there heads at the thought that football players are expected to write their own papers. This only is a story because it's ND. or a school with an academic reputation .

Also:
Laughable are the calls for NCAA sanctions. What NCAA?
If the P5 has autonomy, who determines what's prohibited ,or punishes prohibited actions by member schools. The foxes are now in charge of the hen house.
Maybe ghost writers will be allowed.

Reaction Score
Lol, this all just happened. ND just found out about it. ND interviewed the players this morning.

I'll admit, I'm the farthest from a ND fan as anyone can get, but the facts have to get out first. I know many people love to see the mighty fall. I know quite a few B1G alum that were ecstatic over Joe Pa's fall from grace. I may have even jumped up and down for joy when USC went on probation.

When a scandal hits your school, it is shameful. I know late 80s were a very humbling time to be a Hokie. That's why it's a risky proposition to poke fun at another school... because it can happen to any school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll admit, I'm the farthest from a ND fan as anyone can get, but the facts have to get out first. I know many people love to see the mighty fall. I know quite a few B1G alum that were ecstatic over Joe Pa's fall from grace. I may have even jumped up and down for joy when USC went on probation.

When a scandal hits your school, it is shameful. I know late 80s were a very humbling time to be a Hokie. That's why it's a risky proposition to poke fun at another school... because it can happen to any school.

There might be 3 schools in FBS were you wouldn't find academic fraud in the football program.

There might not even be that many.

It was North Carolina's turn. Now it's Notre Dame's turn. Soon enough we'll move on to the next one.

Reaction Score
There might be 3 schools in FBS were you wouldn't find academic fraud in the football program.

You may find just about everyone on the take. The game within the game gets pretty sleezy if you dig too deep. I guess the difference is how you "play" the NCAA. There was one time when the SEC had 8 or 9 of their 12 schools under investigation. None of them were severely penalized (some not at all) at the end of the day, including Auburn. I guess it's how you work the system. Miami dragged things out so long that the NCAA had egg on their face and had to let Miami go free. On the flip side, PSU was handed down one of the most severe penalties that only took a month or so to decide. Not saying PSU should not have been penalized, but the swiftness and degree of that penalty was questionable.

Reaction Score
I will give Notre Dame credit for getting out in front of this mess but UNC hasn't just done nothing either. First they suspended 13 players on the 2010 team , vacated all victories from the 08 &09 season,got rid of the football coach ,AD ,Chancellor,Provost ,most of the compliance staff, director of student support& several board members. Plus other reforms I just don't feel like typing FWIW

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I will give Notre Dame credit for getting out in front of this mess but UNC hasn't just done nothing either. First they suspended 13 players on the 2010 team , vacated all victories from the 08 &09 season,got rid of the football coach ,AD ,Chancellor,Provost ,most of the compliance staff, director of student support& several board members. Plus other reforms I just don't feel like typing FWIW
Ultimately, UConn fans have an issue with how the NCAA treated UNC, not how UNC treated UNC. For obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Sort of..., those self imposed sanctions/suspensions were for an assistant coach receiving personal loans from an NFL agent, players receiving jewelry, trips, and other gifts from people outside the program, and a tutor providing improper help to players on term papers. It had zero to do with the fake class scandal. It's really laughable how UConn was handled for some BS "retro-active" APR ban and UNC is gliding along. Really pathetic and points out just how much certain media outlet drives the narrative/message.

Reaction Score
Hate to see this, Terry.

Seriously.

Please disregard my post in the ((non)) key tweets thread.

Your e-friend,
CF

Reaction Score
Sort of..., those self imposed sanctions/suspensions were for an assistant coach receiving personal loans from an NFL agent, players receiving jewelry, trips, and other gifts from people outside the program, and a tutor providing improper help to players on term papers. It had zero to do with the fake class scandal. It's really laughable how UConn was handled for some BS "retro-active" APR ban and UNC is gliding along. Really pathetic and points out just how much certain media outlet drives the narrative/message.
The vacated wins were for allowing academically ineligible players participate. Hakeem Nicks being the biggest name

Reaction Score
Given where big-time college athletics is headed this stuff will be SOP - or academics will become expressly a sideline option. I don't see ND as any better or worse than most of college football. They are in it for the money, just like everyone else.

Reaction Score
I assume their NBC contract has the equivalent of a "morals" clause, giving NBC the right to cancel if they are on probation, if there is a scandal, etc. If so, ND may be looking at the landscape and thinking they have too much at risk in keeping their eggs in that one NBC basket, that a few bad actors can derail at any time. ND may now think it would be safer to join a conference where they can ride out a future issue and not risk their future as a P5 school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume their NBC contract has the equivalent of a "morals" clause, giving NBC the right to cancel if they are on probation, if there is a scandal, etc. If so, ND may be looking at the landscape and thinking they have too much at risk in keeping their eggs in that one NBC basket, that a few bad actors can derail at any time. ND may now think it would be safer to join a conference where they can ride out a future issue and not risk their future as a P5 school.

No, this has nothing to do with NBC or ND joining a football conference.

Reaction Score
https://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1670630

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - University President Rev. John I. Jenkins and Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick served as the faces representing Notre Dame in the announcement of an administrative investigation into suspicions of academic dishonesty by four current Irish football players.

Until a full investigation is completed, KeiVarae Russell, DaVaris Daniels, Ishaq Williams and Kendall Moore will be held out of practice and game competition, a proclamation that came 15 days prior to the first game of the 2014 season.

"Integrity is at the heart of our mission as a university," said Jenkins in his introductory statement. "Academic dishonesty strikes at that heart. Academic misconduct has no place at a university."

Jenkins said there was evidence that the four football players submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others, which was initially detected at the end of the summer session and referred to the compliance office in athletics on July 29, which then precipitated an immediate investigation by the Office of General Counsel.

Jenkins was quick to point out that the student-athletes have not been declared guilty of wrongdoing.

"Let me emphasize something: At this juncture, no one has been judged responsible for academic dishonesty," Jenkins said. "No one has been dismissed from the university and no sanctions have been imposed or no judgment has been made yet."

Asked if the players had been suspended, Swarbrick said, "No. They remain students at the university, they remain grant-in-aid students, and they continue to have the benefits of being a grant-in-aid student."

Jenkins and Swarbrick also defended Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly, who was first informed of the situation on Thursday, Aug. 14.

"I want to say right now that I have great confidence in Brian and his staff, and they have been nothing but supportive and helpful in our investigation," Jenkins said.

"There is no evidence that Brian Kelly and his coaches knew about this. The same way with the academic staff. Once an academic staff member had suspicions, it was immediately brought to our attention."

Swarbrick described Kelly's reaction to the news.

"Like all of us, he was devastated," Swarbrick said. "But he was also quick to understand the process and how he and his staff could be of assistance in the process, so that was quickly the focus of the discussion."

Jenkins said there was no timetable for a resolution.

"We'll go as quickly as we can, but our emphasis will be on thoroughness," Jenkins said. "We'll take as long as it takes to have a thorough and fair investigation through our honor code process."

While the University is determined to get to the bottom of the situation and that academic dishonesty will not be tolerated, Swarbrick sees the purported improprieties by the student-athletes as the exception to the rule at Notre Dame.

"For every misstep, we have hundreds of stories of young people coming here and succeeding and taking full advantage of the (Notre Dame) opportunity," Swarbrick said. "So we know it works."

Reaction Score
No, this has nothing to do with NBC or ND joining a football conference.

All i'm saying is that sometimes a close call will cause an entity to reassess its risk profile. I am not saying that NBC is going to take any action based on this specific event. If ND has a Penn State level problem in the future, would they be able to survive it as well as Penn State did on their own?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All i'm saying is that sometimes a close call will cause an entity to reassess its risk profile. I am not saying that NBC is going to take any action based on this specific event. If ND has a Penn State level problem in the future, would they be able to survive it as well as Penn State did on their own?

I am not sure there is anything that could happen to keep the ND fan base away. ND could convert to another faith and they would still be the fighting Irish.

Reaction Score
I am not sure there is anything that could happen to keep the ND fan base away. ND could convert to another faith and they would still be the fighting Irish.

There's already a well thought out contingency plan in place:

• An underling leaks a rumor that Kelly has interviewed for an NFL job due to the pressure of winning at ND while maintaining a 99.999% graduation rate.
  • End of plan

Reaction Score
ND should get the death penalty. NCAA should send a message like they did with Penn State which was a case that involved exactly zero student-athletes and zero cheating. UConn gets burned for self-reporting that they fell short of a retroactively applied APR standard, and schools like ND and UNC get off with no sanctions while their athletes commit ridiculous amounts of academic fraud? If that's not a WTF moment then I don't know what is. Never mind the fact that ND sacrificed a kid's life just to video tape some football practices a few years back, and a football player raped a girl that ended up killing herself. Clearly a loss of institutional control at ND, just like they said about Penn State and Miami.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
https://notredame com/content.asp?CID=1670630

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - University President Rev. John I. Jenkins and Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick served as the faces representing Notre Dame in the announcement of an administrative investigation into suspicions of academic dishonesty by four current Irish football players.

Until a full investigation is completed, KeiVarae Russell, DaVaris Daniels, Ishaq Williams and Kendall Moore will be held out of practice and game competition, a proclamation that came 15 days prior to the first game of the 2014 season.

"Integrity is at the heart of our mission as a university," said Jenkins in his introductory statement. "Academic dishonesty strikes at that heart. Academic misconduct has no place at a university."

Jenkins said there was evidence that the four football players submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others, which was initially detected at the end of the summer session and referred to the compliance office in athletics on July 29, which then precipitated an immediate investigation by the Office of General Counsel.

Jenkins was quick to point out that the student-athletes have not been declared guilty of wrongdoing.

"Let me emphasize something: At this juncture, no one has been judged responsible for academic dishonesty," Jenkins said. "No one has been dismissed from the university and no sanctions have been imposed or no judgment has been made yet."

Asked if the players had been suspended, Swarbrick said, "No. They remain students at the university, they remain grant-in-aid students, and they continue to have the benefits of being a grant-in-aid student."

Jenkins and Swarbrick also defended Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly, who was first informed of the situation on Thursday, Aug. 14.

"I want to say right now that I have great confidence in Brian and his staff, and they have been nothing but supportive and helpful in our investigation," Jenkins said.

"There is no evidence that Brian Kelly and his coaches knew about this. The same way with the academic staff. Once an academic staff member had suspicions, it was immediately brought to our attention."

Swarbrick described Kelly's reaction to the news.

"Like all of us, he was devastated," Swarbrick said. "But he was also quick to understand the process and how he and his staff could be of assistance in the process, so that was quickly the focus of the discussion."

Jenkins said there was no timetable for a resolution.

"We'll go as quickly as we can, but our emphasis will be on thoroughness," Jenkins said. "We'll take as long as it takes to have a thorough and fair investigation through our honor code process."

While the University is determined to get to the bottom of the situation and that academic dishonesty will not be tolerated, Swarbrick sees the purported improprieties by the student-athletes as the exception to the rule at Notre Dame.

"For every misstep, we have hundreds of stories of young people coming here and succeeding and taking full advantage of the (Notre Dame) opportunity," Swarbrick said. "So we know it works."
Wow, thanks for posting this! I, for one, am glad to know that this scandal only involves four players and that Kelly only knew about it a few days ago. It is great to have all the details about a scandal as soon as it publically breaks. Now I feel confident that there is no link to this scandal and the recent departure of prominent ND coordinators to other programs.

There's nothing more to see here. I guess I'll just move along.

These+aren't+the+droids.png

Reaction Score
I'm unsure what will happen here, but I suspect the worst of it will be self inflicted by ND as opposed to actions stemming from an NCAA investigation. The NCAA is a toothless tiger that occasionally roars to prove it is still a threat. They'll let Auburn purchase Cam Newton for 200 k, allow Miami to run a booster riddled program for decades, and comically allow UNC to run a system of fake classes for years with zero penalty. All were handled with a nothing to see here attitude.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, they hammer PSU for the actions of a former employee that had ZERO to do with athletics or academics. Mind you this same program was held up by no less than dip schit Mark Emmert himself as a shining example for what was right with college athletics. Graduating 90 % of its players while never committing a major NCAA Penalty in any sport meant nothing when they decided to punish PSU.

The NCAA is a joke, and it is holding on by its fingernails. If what is alleged is true, kick the current players off the team, fire whomever can be proved to have had involvement, and forfeit wins obtained using those involved( as if that means anything). No sense in punishing a bunch of kids and current employees with no involvement beyond that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No sense in punishing a bunch of kids and current employees with no involvement beyond that.
Unless, of course, you've already established a precedent for doing just that under much, much more benign circumstances.

Quick question, if UConn can established that non athletes transferred or left the school with less that 2.0 cum can we get our 2012 post season back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom