Good news for Notre Dame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Good news for Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I'm unsure what will happen here, but I suspect the worst of it will be self inflicted by ND as opposed to actions stemming from an NCAA investigation. The NCAA is a toothless tiger that occasionally roars to prove it is still a threat. They'll let Auburn purchase Cam Newton for 200 k, allow Miami to run a booster riddled program for decades, and comically allow UNC to run a system of fake classes for years with zero penalty. All were handled with a nothing to see here attitude.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, they hammer PSU for the actions of a former employee that had ZERO to do with athletics or academics. Mind you this same program was held up by no less than dip schit Mark Emmert himself as a shining example for what was right with college athletics. Graduating 90 % of its players while never committing a major NCAA Penalty in any sport meant nothing when they decided to punish PSU.

The NCAA is a joke, and it is holding on by its fingernails. If what is alleged is true, kick the current players off the team, fire whomever can be proved to have had involvement, and forfeit wins obtained using those involved( as if that means anything). No sense in punishing a bunch of kids and current employees with no involvement beyond that.

Actually, to ND, it means a lot. They are tied with D2 power Grand Valley State in all time win percentage with .733. Michigan is right at their heels with .732. Take those wins away and they are neither the all time football nor D1 football win percentage. It was a very big deal when they overtook Michigan a couple of years ago.

That being said, most Irish fans would agree that the win percentage is much less important than what allegedly went on in this scandal.

Reaction Score
Unless, of course, you've already established a precedent for doing just that under much, much more benign circumstances.

Quick question, if UConn can established that non athletes transferred or left the school with less that 2.0 cum can we get our 2012 post season back?

Preaching to the choir here, as I've watched highly deserving student athletes be punished for the the last 3 years for non football related events that occurred when they were in elementary school. UCONN's kids much like PSU's got a royal screw job, while a paid free agent like Cam Newton continues to be celebrated in college football lore. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
Actually, to ND, it means a lot. They are tied with D2 power Grand Valley State in all time win percentage with .733. Michigan is right at their heels with .732. Take those wins away and they are neither the all time football nor D1 football win percentage. It was a very big deal when they overtook Michigan a couple of years ago.

That being said, most Irish fans would agree that the win percentage is much less important than what allegedly went on in this scandal.

I get what you're saying, but much like at PSU where deserving players were robbed of a portion of their history, they and we know they earned those victories on the field regardless of what the record book reflects. Loss of scholarships and bowl games punish current and future players far more harshly.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but much like at PSU where deserving players were robbed of a portion of their history, they and we know they earned those victories on the field regardless of what the record book reflects. Loss of scholarships and bowl games punish current and future players far more harshly.

The record is very important to both schools. In a few years, no one will remember what happened to those years (except for diehard ND fans). That record will be all that matters.

If this was done because of the culture, what better way to take it down a few notches than to take away a symbol of the culture, the all time winning percentage record.

Reaction Score
The record is very important to both schools. In a few years, no one will remember what happened to those years (except for diehard ND fans). That record will be all that matters.

If this was done because of the culture, what better way to take it down a few notches than to take away a symbol of the culture, the all time winning percentage record.

I'm not sure anyone not affiliated with ND cares what ND's all time winning percentage is. I know I sure as hell don't. The fans that actually care about ND will know that they won those games should they eventually be taken away.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone not affiliated with ND cares what ND's all time winning percentage is. I know I sure as hell don't. The fans that actually care about ND will know that they won those games should they eventually be taken away.

No Person not affiliated with ND really doesn't care, but that's not the point. Each school takes pride in the traditions of their team. Both Michigan and ND have very long football traditions that go back very far (in Michigan's case, well over a century). Having been that good for that long is something that I know I, as a Michigan fan, take much pride in. I believe ND faithful are the same. How many schools can say that after more than 1200 games, they have won almost 3/4 of them. Not many. Two, in fact. To be the winningest program in the history of college football is a testament to how strong you tradition is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Back in the day we had a good hate going for UMass and URI. The problem is that they couldn't keep up so they aren't relevant competition anymore.

Reaction Score

Phil Daniels (former NFL lineman and Davaris Daniels' dad) went on NBC to rip ND's reaction to this. He says ND jumped the gun.

He said that it was KeiVarae Russell's girlfriend who is in middle of it all. He said they asked for advice from her and really did nothing wrong.

He hints that they'll be back on field soon.

The rumors in South Bend are that the tutor is KeiVarae Russell's live in girlfriend and is a law student.

Ishaq Willams is Russell's roommate. That is supposedly how he is suspected. DaVaris Daniels sent his paper to this girl using school email asking her to edit it.

He opened her response email while in the presence of his academic counselor/adviser.

The academic adviser went nuts and reported it to his superiors and this is how this allegedly got started.

The rumors are that decisions on each should be made no later than this week and that Russell and Willams could be back soon but those are just rumors for now.

Phillip Daniels is kind of a loose cannon and has an obvious interest in his son's reputation and NFL aspirations, but that is the latest.

I can see ND jumping to a quick reaction to this. Recall how quickly George O'Leary was shown the door for an academic integrity type issue?
We shall see.

Reaction Score
The academic adviser went nuts and reported it to his superiors and this is how this allegedly got started.

Obviously any Notre Dame or North Carolina academic type that reports a violation has to be "nuts". Their life will never be the same.

Reaction Score
I am not saying the newest rumors by Phil Daniels and others are true. I have no idea.

But (even though you guys have a Conspiracy Kitty) not everything, everywhere is a big conspiracy to cover things up.

Didn't the allegations against the Syracuse basketball assistant coach and the Duke lacrosse players end up being BS?

ND suspended its starting quarterback , leading receiver and best basketball player in the past 15 months, so ND is not shy about suspending athletes for academic reasons.

This thing happened very quickly (7/29-8/15) and it could be that ND, Pat Forde, ESPN, etc.. jumped the gun on this and blew it all out of proportion.

I have no idea, but those are the latest rumors on this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have to admit that the media coverage was over the top then this came out of Friday.

" 4 ND players expelled", "ND may forfeit its 2012 season", "22 players may be involved."

In truth, nobody really knew very much then. Hell, Brian Kelly was not told until the day before.

Kyle Lamb even questioned some of the headlines on Friday on this board.

For what it is worth, Ivan Maisal of ESPN is backtracking a bit this morning on his original story:

"Some people, including me on ESPN Radio on Sunday afternoon, have been under the mistaken impression that the academic misconduct investigation of four Notre Dame football players involved work performed by academic advisors. In fact, the academic advisors uncovered the alleged misconduct. I trust Notre Dame will protect its academic reputation, no matter the consequences. With four important players in limbo, the consequences to the football team are going to be huge."

I tend to think that Phil Daniels is just pissed about his kid. I tend to think that some of these guys may have cheated academically. But, who knows when, how many and what the penalty for them may be.

As I said, ND has suspended its starting quarterback, its leading receiver and its best basketball player for academic reasons in the past 15 months, so it is not shy about booting players for that reason (instead of covering it up).

Reaction Score
You have to admit that the media coverage was over the top then this came out of Friday.

" 4 ND players expelled", "ND may forfeit its 2012 season", "22 players may be involved."

In truth, nobody really knew very much then. Hell, Brian Kelly was not told until the day before.

Kyle Lamb even questioned some of the headlines on Friday on this board.

For what it is worth, Ivan Maisal of ESPN is backtracking a bit this morning on his original story:

"Some people, including me on ESPN Radio on Sunday afternoon, have been under the mistaken impression that the academic misconduct investigation of four Notre Dame football players involved work performed by academic advisors. In fact, the academic advisors uncovered the alleged misconduct. I trust Notre Dame will protect its academic reputation, no matter the consequences. With four important players in limbo, the consequences to the football team are going to be huge."

I tend to think that Phil Daniels is just pissed about his kid. I tend to think that some of these guys may have cheated academically. But, who knows when, how many and what the penalty for them may be.

As I said, ND has suspended its starting quarterback, its leading receiver and its best basketball player for academic reasons in the past 15 months, so it is not shy about booting players for that reason (instead of covering it up).
Terry I wouldn't be surprised if ND was the recipient of overzealous media coverage because of what happened at UNC. I am definitely not a ND fan...count me on the wagon of ND hater/fed up with their elitist entitled attitude but I have been pretty impressed with the stand they made with Golson, and what is happening now in terms of academic's. The typical company line from ND that "ND is truly interested in the academic portion of a student athlete's career first, and that athletics is secondary" is a line of . The NBC contract, the new UA contract, along with facilities that are there say otherwise...same with their move to the ACC.

Reaction Score
From Jack Swarbrick on Mike & Mike this morning:

* Athletics has nothing to do with the investigation. It's a university matter
* Nature of the investigation forced us to make a public statement - because of potential of eligibility issues, they needed to be held back from practice
* Not a matter of a second offense
* It's not like somebody detected an anomaly on a paper and got pushed aside. That's not how ND works. It started with compliance, got notified to athletic department and moved on to General Counsel
* Investigation went on for a while before Kelly was informed
* Nothing in this investigation pointing to a tutor, academic advisor. It's a student to student matter. No evidence of institutional involvement
* Nothing seen here so far has to do with Brian Kelly or the athletic department involvement
* Can't characterize the issue going beyond these 4 players. Very confident this is not a larger institutional issue
* Thousands of emails have been reviewed or read
* When players were interviewed Friday morning that was the first time they were interviewed (by the assistant provost, and not direct involvement of athletic department)
* No timetable. Investigation will be done regardless of any athletic concern. Hard to predict timetable
* Players will not be playing if season starts and investigation is still ongoing

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
* Athletics has nothing to do with the investigation. It's a university matter
* Nature of the investigation forced us to make a public statement - because of potential of eligibility issues, they needed to be held back from practice
* Nothing in this investigation pointing to a tutor, academic advisor. It's a student to student matter. No evidence of institutional involvement
* Can't characterize the issue going beyond these 4 players. Very confident this is not a larger institutional issue .

What a Crock of !!! Swarbrick is trying to get out in front of the issue in hopes that the NCAA will characterize it akin to their definition for UNC (Which is quite likely, given ND is included with other 5CSMA schools). Also, no one will ever confuse Mike and Mike (who has a conflict of interest in the first place) with Woodward and Bernstein, but the above are very simply conflicting statements.

4 players were suspended. The issue may extend beyond the scope of athletics, but the issue includes athletics. Make no mistake about it. There is no question.

The issue takes into account eligibility of 4 athletes. They are being withheld from practices and games to prevent the forfeit of additional games (including all of 2012), i.e. NCAA punishment. If the issue did not include athletics, They would not be worried about an NCAA Investigation and the players would not be suspended.

If a tutor is another ND Student, that equates to institutional involvement. The institution "hired" the tutor, the institution accepted the student-tutor over otherwise willing and qualified applicants.

IF you can't characterize the issue as not going beyond these 4 players, how is it a university matter, but not an athletic matter. If it is a university matter? How is there no evidence of institutional involvement?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
what a relief, it was all a misunderstanding. i'm glad that's all cleared up....moving along, nothing to see here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kelly was "shocked". Like this guy:

Lol, I wish I had the skills to dub this video.

Players have been suspended? For what reason, Coach Kelly?

I'm shocked, shocked to find out that cheating has been happening at Notre Dame!

Here's the latest set of fake papers coach.

Oh, thank you!​

Reaction Score
I am not saying the newest rumors by Phil Daniels and others are true. I have no idea.

But (even though you guys have a Conspiracy Kitty) not everything, everywhere is a big conspiracy to cover things up.

Didn't the allegations against the Syracuse basketball assistant coach and the Duke lacrosse players end up being BS?

ND suspended its starting quarterback , leading receiver and best basketball player in the past 15 months, so ND is not shy about suspending athletes for academic reasons.

This thing happened very quickly (7/29-8/15) and it could be that ND, Pat Forde, ESPN, etc.. jumped the gun on this and blew it all out of proportion.

I have no idea, but those are the latest rumors on this.
Syracuse made the allegations go away. There was never a trial or hearing. The accused wife basically admitted that it was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom