Good news for Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good news for Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no scheduled press conference, from what I am hearing.

Obviously, not all of the facts are reported yet. But, recall that ND acted pretty swiftly with the George O'Leary resume thing in 2001, for instance.

Reaction Score
Why do you buy that? Organizations that have rules or bylaws have a procedure in place. That procedure takes a lot longer than a day to complete.

According to Notre Dame's honor code guidelines:

1. A faculty member that believes a violation occurred must have a meeting with the student

2. If the faculty member believes a violation occurred after the meeting, he must fill out a written report

3. If a student admits to violations, it must be stated in the report and a provost must review the admission, the report and also any agreed upon penalty between the student and faculty member and decide if the agreed upon punishment is just

4. A student, even if he admitted to violations, can revoke such admission within seven calendar days of the report being submitted and a hearing between a "honesty committee" will be scheduled

So you're telling me that you buy a written report was submitted with four players all confessing and agreeing on a punishment, then Notre Dame learning of and accepting these findings all in one day?

I have a bridge to sell you if you believe that.

http://honorcode.nd.edu/assets/63629/student_guide_to_the_academic_code_of_honor_web_aug_2011.pdf

These processes take time. They are not wrapped up in one day. It's convenient they learned of this and it leaks out on a Friday afternoon. That's PR work.

Well, Pat Forde may have jumped the gun on reporting all of the "facts" as facts. That has never happened before, huh?

The real news is that ND found out and did not cover it up. Lets wait for the facts and not rush to judgment. Isn't that what other schools always say?

The "word" from South Bend is that the four have been interviewed this morning and suspended from the football team pending further investigation.

Reaction Score
Bravo to Notre Dame for not handling this the UNC way.

Will wait to see if the NCAA punishes Notre Dame's honesty more harshly than UNC's coverup.
This just in...Mark Emmert NCAA President announced that Notre Dame will be banned from all NCAA sponsored post season competition for a 3 year period. Principal Sr. Mary Getrude, SND, expressed surprise when she received Emmert's letter. "We are a Catholic High School for girls, we don't play in the NCAA and we haven't had a cheating scandal," the nun commented. Emmert, however, insisted that the school be penalized. "Hey, you want us to penalize THE Notre Dame? What are you, nuts? But somebody has to take the hit for this and since there isn't a D2 or 3 school available, we settled for this girls high school," said the NCAA head. Texas AD Steve Patterson applauded Emmert's quick action saying, "Those girls aren't pulling there weight around here. Serves them right." SEC Commissioner Mike Slive announced the the SEC would be getting most of the proceeds from ticket sales to the panthers' upcoming field hockey season. "Cain't never have too much cash," said Slive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_High_School_for_Girls

Reaction Score
Well, Pat Forde may have jumped the gun on reporting all of the "facts" as facts. That has never happened before, huh?

The real news is that ND found out and did not cover it up. Lets wait for the facts and not rush to judgment. Isn't that what other schools always say?

The "word" from South Bend is that the four have been interviewed this morning and suspended from the football team pending further investigation.

So wait, you're saying that we should wait for the facts to rush judgment but you're not waiting for the facts to say Notre Dame acted immediately and did not make any attempts to cover it up? You're contradicting yourself. Shouldn't you also wait for the facts to come out before you crown Notre Dame as having acted in the utmost wholesome manner?

For the record, I wasn't judging Notre Dame. I was replying at face value to your post that they found out today and acted today. I'm certain that's not the case, without making any insinuations or judgments as to guilt or innocence of Notre Dame's role.

Reaction Score
The school conducted an internal investigation this summer according to FoxSports.

Reaction Score
From Bruce Feldman at Fox:

"One year after Notre Dame football lost its starting QB, Everett Golson, for the 2013 season after he was caught cheating on an exam, theFighting Irish are dealing with the repercussions from more academic fraud.

This time, four players, three starters, have been dismissed from ND after the school conducted an internal investigation this summer, sources close to the program told FOX Sports."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/notre-dame-fighting-irish-081514

That's far more believable than the narrative they found out today and dismissed them today.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If worse infractions didn't cause UNC any harm why should we think anything will happen to ND?

Reaction Score
From Bruce Feldman at Fox:

"One year after Notre Dame football lost its starting QB, Everett Golson, for the 2013 season after he was caught cheating on an exam, theFighting Irish are dealing with the repercussions from more academic fraud.

This time, four players, three starters, have been dismissed from ND after the school conducted an internal investigation this summer, sources close to the program told FOX Sports."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/notre-dame-fighting-irish-081514

That's far more believable than the narrative they found out today and dismissed them today.

Yes, it is. That was what was originally reported.

ND still acted internally and pretty quickly, no ?

Reaction Score
I am not crowning anyone. Was there an NCAA investigation or would you agree this is all an ND internal thing?

Ohio State's tat/merch 'scandal' was all internal when they self-reported the violations too. But apparently when people know things and when it comes out matters. Being an internal thing doesn't dismiss it as no one having prior knowledge or not being culpable.

I think simply being an internal thing is largely irrelevant until we know a lot more about who knew what and when.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is. That was what was originally reported.

ND still acted internally and pretty quickly, no ?

If that was what was originally reported, why did you assert that Notre Dame just found out this morning? I also don't know how you can assert they acted quickly since we still don't have facts on the timetable, nor how you can act like it's relevant that they acted internally if there is a possibility that this stems larger and deeper than just one person.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the only way they can win is with a bunch of academic shenanigans. Holtz left under a cloud of suspicion followed by long periods of mediocrity. Kelly wins with suspect students...rinse and repeat

Reaction Score
Show of hands: who's buying that they found out today and immediately took action?

That sounds awfully convenient. It doesn't pass the smell test. I'd expect any organization to put more time and effort to thoroughly investigating something before taking rash action.
that's not likely, but I don't think that's an issue. It would be pretty unusual for the school to find out all the details today and act today. I think the scenario was more likely that someone heard or saw something fishy and started asking questions. Then some administrator was assigned to begin looking into it to determine if it was a one off thing, an organized "program" as at UNC or something in between and who and how far it extended. Most likely had marching orders to wrap up his investigation before the kick off for Rice and did so. To Notre Dame's credit, it appears to be taking action unlike its ACC counterpart. The time schedule makes sense, though. You don't want to kick out Player X until you know for sure that he is the extent of the problem. But you also don't want to have to bounce Players A and B in October because you now find they too were involved. That just drags everything out. Best to find out the facts, and take action once and for all. Much as I hate to say it right now, it appears that Notre Dame is going about this in the correct manner.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, it makes sense to take action before the season starts so that they can't be penalized for playing academically ineligible players. At least they can restrict the violations to other seasons.

Kyle, good points about timing but ND does seem far more open and expeditious about this than UNC was, or many southern schools.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Curious. Where are all the ACC shills who so generously grace us with their presence to trumpet the "Notre Dame really is an ACC member you guys....really, they are" rally cry?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, this all just happened. ND just found out about it. ND interviewed the players this morning.
Obviously stalling for time. They way they are dragging this out just sickens me

Reaction Score
Lol, this all just happened. ND just found out about it. ND interviewed the players this morning.

Sure they did, just today shortly after 9am. What a surprise it must have been.

Reaction Score

Are you really patting yourself on the back about being right because of a Notre Dame press release giving a version of events that only kind of sort of aligns with what you concluded after initial reports?

There may be absolutely nothing else to this, except, you know, a Notre Dame professor may have helped football players cheat, but I wonder why you're so quick to remind people to reserve judgment and you're not doing the same.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Why is everyone busting them off on TerryD? He seems to be a decent person who happens to root for a school not named UCONN. He's been pretty upfront with his feelings that ND players broke the rules and agrees that they need to be punished. Lets cut him a break guys.

Reaction Score
Are you really patting yourself on the back about being right because of a Notre Dame press release giving a version of events that only kind of sort of aligns with what you concluded after initial reports?

There may be absolutely nothing else to this, except, you know, a Notre Dame professor may have helped football players cheat, but I wonder why you're so quick to remind people to reserve judgment and you're not doing the same.

I am not "patting myself on the back" Kyle. I posted this morning what I knew or heard from rumor, emails, tweets, Pat Forde, etc... (just like everyone else).

I posted the link because it is the first official news from ND on this issue, that is all. "Conspiracy kitty" not needed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom