Good AD Manuel article by Jacobs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good AD Manuel article by Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was curious about this. If this game falls through for some reason, could fans do something about the season tickets they bought? Please don't read this as me saying I would return my season tix over this. I was just curious because this was their big advertising technique and now they could be screwed. I'm sure there will be some fans who would be upset that they bought three year season tickets because of the UM game and now it is not there or even at The Rent. Just a curious question.

I find the athletic development office to be VERY reasonable, so if u made a big stink about it, I'm sure they would work something out with you. The real question is, do you REALLY want those fans who bought season tix just bcuz of the Mich game? I would argue no, we don't need them, so give them their money back. CT is already full of bandwagon fans, we don't need anymore.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I find the athletic development office to be VERY reasonable, so if u made a big stink about it, I'm sure they would work something out with you. The real question is, do you REALLY want those fans who bought season tix just bcuz of the Mich game? I would argue no, we don't need them, so give them their money back. CT is already full of bandwagon fans, we don't need anymore.....

Yeah don't take their money. Maybe we should mail out a test to prove people are fans before accepting their ticket applications. The Red Sox should do the same and drop their payroll down to the Jays level, then at least when they finish fourth it will only before true fans.

Reaction Score
I wish people would have the facts before they post. Wake Forest football stadium seats only 31,500 not 50,000. The Rent is larger.

uote="Doggie Style, post: 260541, member: 1866"]First, the buyout is just under 3mil! This was discussed last summer when Mich started testing the waters of moving this game to a neutral site. Hathaway flat out refused, good on him. For those of u who don't troll the ESPN boards, there was A LOT of B1G support for Uconn by making Mich play the game here (We shall see). I have no idea what the hell those of u are thinking when u say we r better off playing Mich at a neutral site than not at all? I hated Hathaway, but he stood up to Mich and stood up to ND when they tried to pull the same ****, which was why the series was cancelled. If we tossed that 6 game ND series then bend over and take it from Mich, it does NOTHING for us long term, NOTHING! It just makes us another fluff boy like Umass, who is scheduling big time opponent's like it's the dot com boom of the late 90's! As was stated earlier, if Wake Forrest can bring in ND and other major schools to play a home and home, we can do it too.... The difference is, they have 50k+ and we have much less... Conference change or not, we need to start the next phase of expansion for The Rent now![/quote]

Reaction Score
Yeah don't take their money. Maybe we should mail out a test to prove people are fans before accepting their ticket applications. The Red Sox should do the same and drop their payroll down to the Jays level, then at least when they finish fourth it will only before true fans.

Whaler, listen, we may NEED to do that if this game is played. When ND came into Wake, their fans bought all the available season tix just to get into the game then dumped them. The Wake fans were pissed when the big ACC rival games came around and the game was sold out only to have THOUSANDS of empty seats in the stadium thanks to the ND fans.

Reaction Score
Plus 11500 for temp bleacher seats for big games. I was off by a few thousand, keep ur pants on Jack!!

I wish people would have the facts before they post. Wake Forest football stadium seats only 31,500 not 50,000. The Rent is larger.

uote="Doggie Style, post: 260541, member: 1866"]First, the buyout is just under 3mil! This was discussed last summer when Mich started testing the waters of moving this game to a neutral site. Hathaway flat out refused, good on him. For those of u who don't troll the ESPN boards, there was A LOT of B1G support for Uconn by making Mich play the game here (We shall see). I have no idea what the hell those of u are thinking when u say we r better off playing Mich at a neutral site than not at all? I hated Hathaway, but he stood up to Mich and stood up to ND when they tried to pull the same ****, which was why the series was cancelled. If we tossed that 6 game ND series then bend over and take it from Mich, it does NOTHING for us long term, NOTHING! It just makes us another fluff boy like Umass, who is scheduling big time opponent's like it's the dot com boom of the late 90's! As was stated earlier, if Wake Forrest can bring in ND and other major schools to play a home and home, we can do it too.... The difference is, they have 50k+ and we have much less... Conference change or not, we need to start the next phase of expansion for The Rent now!
[/quote]

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, listen, we may NEED to do that if this game is played.

I doubt they would need to, schedules are always subject to change. They might choose to be flexible, but I doubt more than a handful of people really made a decision based on it.

Reaction Score
I doubt they would need to, schedules are always subject to change. They might choose to be flexible, but I doubt more than a handful of people really made a decision based on it.

I agree

Reaction Score
Plus 11500 for temp bleacher seats for big games. I was off by a few thousand, keep ur pants on Jack!!
[/quote]
Doggie my pants are on. WF/ND attendance was 36,300. Do your homework before you run your mouth!

Reaction Score
Doggie my pants are on. WF/ND attendance was 36,300. Do your homework before you run your mouth![/quote]

Great job princess!!!

Reaction Score
I am not trying to nail myself to the cross or anything, but I drive from Boston for every home game. I get up early, drive across the city, and then out west to pick up the other season ticket holders, then I get to the Rent early for a robust tailgate. Then I drive home. I do this every game. If they move the game 40 mins south to New Haven, oh well. Just means I get up a little earlier. Please don't bitch about tacking on 40 minutes to what is likely a very manageable drive (and it is ONE game), particularly when it means you get to watch Uconn play a nationally televised game, against the most traditional football school in the country.

Reaction Score
He has a signed contract.

UConn has already fulfilled its obligation to play at Michigan.

He has a large hammer.

The contract has a buyout clause. The penalty is defined. He has no hammer whatsoever. None. Zero. Incapable of argument.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am not trying to nail myself to the cross or anything, but I drive from Boston for every home game. I get up early, drive across the city, and then out west to pick up the other season ticket holders, then I get to the Rent early for a robust tailgate. Then I drive home. I do this every game. If they move the game 40 mins south to New Haven, oh well. Just means I get up a little earlier. Please don't bitch about tacking on 40 minutes to what is likely a very manageable drive (and it is ONE game), particularly when it means you get to watch Uconn play a nationally televised game, against the most traditional football school in the country.

Awesome post. Kudos for trekking in every game.

I thought my hour drive from New London for hoops/football was long haha!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The contract has a buyout clause. The penalty is defined. He has no hammer whatsoever. None. Zero. Incapable of argument.
...except by Palatine, citing his normal non-earthly rules of brain function...

Reaction Score
Props To UConn Sticking To Its Guns Regarding Michigan

By dconner On June 4, 2012 ·
Just got back from the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Breakfast in Cromwell featuring guest speaker Warde Manuel, the new UConn athletic director and Michigan grad.
I asked him about the Michigan game at Rentschler Field in 2013…
The reason I asked because as you know there was some chatter about this game being moved to a bigger venue other than The Rent.
That chatter was coming from Michigan not Connecticut.
The only thing Manuel told me regarding the game – and he said it definitively – was “we have a contract to play at Rentschler Field and that’s where we’re gonna play”
It’s my understanding this was more than chatter and Michigan definitely wanted to play somewhere else, possibly Giants Stadium – possibly. No specifics were discussed between the two sides.
I also learned this morning that before there was even change of venue talk Michigan wanted to buy the game out, period.
It still can and may do that but it’s gonna cost the Wolverines $2 million to buy it’s way out and the same goes for Tennessee if it tries to wiggles out of the 2015 game.
That is a LOT of money to pay NOT to play a game.
Now, there were several UConn officials at the breakfast today and regarding this is a prominent one told me “We can’t do that. The game is too important to people here to play it anywhere else but Rentschler.”

Reaction Score
you are kidding right? the reason you schedule games like Michigan is to raise the value of you're ticket sales. It's not to measure true-fans from imposters.

Reaction Score
I thought the Michigan buy out was 2 million bucks. That's a big check, even for Michigan and they would have to schedule and pay another team.

And who would schedule a home and homw with UM and then play there first if this becomes their reputation.

Of course UConn has leverage. And a big hammer.

Reaction Score
I thought the Michigan buy out was 2 million bucks. That's a big check, even for Michigan and they would have to schedule and pay another team.

And who would schedule a home and homw with UM and then play there first if this becomes their reputation.

Don't get me wrong, it's a sizable buyout. Not sure what they make per home game, but I think it's big enough that they have to think twice about it. But if they decide to pay the buyout and cancel, there isn't jack we can do about it. That's called having no leverage. There is nothing more we can do that will materially affect their decision.

Reaction Score

What new home and homes has Michigan scheduled, with anyone, at any time in the recent past? Their dance card is full, regardless of what they do to us. They have 7 or 8 home games a year, printing money off of a steady diet of B1G schedule, ND and some directional Michigan schools.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple, there are three scenarios and in all of them UConn has absolutely no leverage:

1) Michigan plays UConn at Rentschler Field
2) Michigan plays UConn at Yankee Stadium/Giants Stadium
3) Michigan buys out the game

Agree with Whaler here, if you'd rather see UConn play Eastern Michigan at the Rent than Michigan anywhere, you need to get your head out of your ass and make the 1-2 hour drive to NY/NJ.

It's not an issue of what's right or wrong, or an issue with pride.

If you want this program to grow you HAVE to play teams like Michigan or Notre Dame even if it's under their terms.

Also, I love the argument that this makes UConn look like a third rate program. As if playing a home schedule filled with home and homes with Buffalo, Western Michigan is somehow 'big time'.

Not sure how Michigan accomplishes #2 without Uconn's "OK"? Michigan can per contract pick either #1 or with a fee #3, not sure how they pick #2 if Uconn says no.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Michigan easily grosses 5 million with an extra home game. They can pay a directional Michigan half a million to take their beating and still end up well ahead of the game, not leave home and not risk losing. Manuel can say whatever he wants - it's up to Michigan if the game is played.

Reaction Score
Michigan easily grosses 5 million with an extra home game. They can pay a directional Michigan half a million to take their beating and still end up well ahead of the game, not leave home and not risk losing. Manuel can say whatever he wants - it's up to Michigan if the game is played.

It's the net that matters.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, what is more advantageous to us? A possibly forgettable neutral site game in a place like Gillette, that our lazy fans probably won't go to in large numbers, or $2 Million?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, what is more advantageous to us? A possibly forgettable neutral site game in a place like Gillette, that our lazy fans probably won't go to in large numbers, or $2 Million?
At the end of the day, it's largely beyond our control. If Michigan wants to pay $2 mil, they will.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, it's largely beyond our control. If Michigan wants to pay $2 mil, they will.

Stupid question: What's the contract say about a buyout deadline???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom