Good AD Manuel article by Jacobs | The Boneyard

Good AD Manuel article by Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good AD Manuel article by Jacobs on Courant webpage. Unable to post. Maybe someone post it. HE sounds likes a done deal. Better relations with BC maybe.

Reaction Score
The response of "right now, yes" re the Michigan game is not exactly confidence-inspiring.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The response of "right now, yes" re the Michigan game is not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I agree. I read that myself and was not too happy. That response means that Michigan is working on a buyout of the game as we speak. That sucks!

Reaction Score
"Right now, yeah," Manuel said. "We're moving forward with that game at Rentschler. Right now, there is no other way we can do it."

Disagree with your interpretation. I read this as a hedge about the location. If there is anything in the works, it is an alternate location for the game.

Reaction Score
I agree. I read that myself and was not too happy. That response means that Michigan is working on a buyout of the game as we speak. That sucks!

+2! This could get ugly for the purchase/renewal of future season ticket packages if this deal goes south. That was a risky move by the Ath Dev office to promote guaranteed seating for the Mich game with this years seasons ticket push.

Reaction Score
"Right now, yeah," Manuel said. "We're moving forward with that game at Rentschler. Right now, there is no other way we can do it."

Disagree with your interpretation. I read this as a hedge about the location. If there is anything in the works, it is an alternate location for the game.
Which would complete suck and reinforce the perception we are third rate program.

And not BTW, this is why I buy my season tickets, to see great games at the Rent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Which would suck almost as worse. The answer should have been, "Of course, why wouldn't it?" This game belongs in The Rent as a reward to all of the loyal fans who buy season tickets and go to games. Is Manual a UConn man or still a Michigan man? Time will tell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with him being a Michigan man. If Michigan prefers to pay the buyout and host EMU they still make more money and guarantee a win.

Manuel is at their mercy, he has no hammer.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
+2! This could get ugly for the purchase/renewal of future season ticket packages if this deal goes south. That was a risky move by the Ath Dev office to promote guaranteed seating for the Mich game with this years seasons ticket push.

I was curious about this. If this game falls through for some reason, could fans do something about the season tickets they bought? Please don't read this as me saying I would return my season tix over this. I was just curious because this was their big advertising technique and now they could be screwed. I'm sure there will be some fans who would be upset that they bought three year season tickets because of the UM game and now it is not there or even at The Rent. Just a curious question.

Reaction Score
Not liking the idea of Michigan backing out. Understand the financial advantage for the Wolverines. Whaler's right: UConn has no leverage, especially if the B1G goes to 9 conference games per season along with 2 OOC against the PAC-12. Under no circumstance should UConn consider moving the venue to Yale, Foxboro, Meadowlands, or the big ball orchard in the Bronx. On the other hand, if I were Susan Herbst, I'd consider giving up the game in exchange for a hand in guaranteed admittance to the B1G (& ONLY under those conditions)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So it's clear Michigan doesn't have to honor the contract and UConn has no leverage to even get Michigan to come to Rentscher once - but she's going to strongarm them into helping with a conference invite by canceling the game.

It's pretty simple. If Michigan doesn't want to play than it doesn't get played. If you'd rather play another FCS or MAC team at the rent in 2013 than Michigan at Yankee Stadium, then I'd suggest you consider seeing a doctor - they have pills for this kind of stuff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If Michigan doesn't want to play than it doesn't get played. If you'd rather play another FCS or MAC team at the rent in 2013 than Michigan at Yankee Stadium, then I'd suggest you consider seeing a doctor - they have pills for this kind of stuff.

Respectfully disagree. I'd rather play a home game at home instead of in another state, opponent notwithstanding.

Reaction Score
MI is not hedging for hedging s sake. They will see how our year goes and what our potential is. If they see that we will be a very good team next year, then they tuck and run. If they can stomp us then they will be here to rub it in. So, if you want them here, then hope we have a bad year.

Reaction Score
We need more tradition established at the Rent. If schools can play at ****ing Wake Forest, they can play at the Rent.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with him being a Michigan man. If Michigan prefers to pay the buyout and host EMU they still make more money and guarantee a win.

Manuel is at their mercy, he has no hammer.
He has a signed contract.

UConn has already fulfilled its obligation to play at Michigan.

He has a large hammer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He has a signed contract.

UConn has already fulfilled its obligation to play at Michigan.

He has a large hammer.

Now you are just being obtuse. If Michigan writes a check what is his recourse? Let me know when you can answer that question.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. I'd rather play a home game at home instead of in another state, opponent notwithstanding.

For 2013 you'd prefer New Hampshire or Kent State at Rentschler over Michigan at Yankee Stadium?

Opinions are opinions, if that is your preference so be it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My guess is the cOntract has a backout fee for Michigan.

Of course it does. I think we've even seen the number and Michigan would destroy it with a home gate.

So having a signed contract is hardly an advantage.

It was plain flat stupid for the school to market tickets on Michigan's back. It only gives Michigan more leverage.

Reaction Score
The contract has nothing to do with it. There must be a buyout clause. Same as the clause the WE used to stiff teams. MI will not come here and be embarrassed. If they think that they will, then forget it. They will always be able to hold the win over us and the Big East. This is about perception.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple, there are three scenarios and in all of them UConn has absolutely no leverage:

1) Michigan plays UConn at Rentschler Field
2) Michigan plays UConn at Yankee Stadium/Giants Stadium
3) Michigan buys out the game

Agree with Whaler here, if you'd rather see UConn play Eastern Michigan at the Rent than Michigan anywhere, you need to get your head out of your ass and make the 1-2 hour drive to NY/NJ.

It's not an issue of what's right or wrong, or an issue with pride.

If you want this program to grow you HAVE to play teams like Michigan or Notre Dame even if it's under their terms.

Also, I love the argument that this makes UConn look like a third rate program. As if playing a home schedule filled with home and homes with Buffalo, Western Michigan is somehow 'big time'.

Reaction Score
When the contract was signed back in July 2009, Desmond had on this blog a buyout of .5M.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When the contract was signed back in July 2009, Desmond had on this blog a buyout of .5M.

It would need to be ten times that to matter.

Reaction Score
First, the buyout is just under 3mil! This was discussed last summer when Mich started testing the waters of moving this game to a neutral site. Hathaway flat out refused, good on him. For those of u who don't troll the ESPN boards, there was A LOT of B1G support for Uconn by making Mich play the game here (We shall see). I have no idea what the hell those of u are thinking when u say we r better off playing Mich at a neutral site than not at all? I hated Hathaway, but he stood up to Mich and stood up to ND when they tried to pull the same , which was why the series was cancelled. If we tossed that 6 game ND series then bend over and take it from Mich, it does NOTHING for us long term, NOTHING! It just makes us another fluff boy like Umass, who is scheduling big time opponent's like it's the dot com boom of the late 90's! As was stated earlier, if Wake Forrest can bring in ND and other major schools to play a home and home, we can do it too.... The difference is, they have 50k+ and we have much less... Conference change or not, we need to start the next phase of expansion for The Rent now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom