Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it actually may be intended. Also, I don't have an issue with her casting, she seems up to the part. One thing to keep in mind with GoT is that unlike LoTR the lines between good and bad are not so distinctively drawn. Dany may not end up being the heroine she has up until this point been portraying. I think the shows this season so far are starting to point that out.

On another note, not really a casting issue but a show handling of a character: While I love the show and their decisions for the most part, they have majorly messed up with Loras Tyrell. He is absolutely useless on the show.

That is my point. Dany is supposed to be more conflicted and layered, and she ends up coming off like an idiot. Maybe that is the writers' fault, but most of the other actors don't have that problem. Even bit players are 3 dimensional. Before this season started, i was rewatching season 4. The scene where Arya and the Hound come across the dying farmer is a fantastic scene. The farmer is one step above an extra, and in 4 minutes of screen time he imparts a lot of emotion and depth. Dany is on the screen for about 20% of each show, and she still seems two dimensional.

I agree on Loras, although Martin loses track of him in the books too. Without Renly, Loras is a very tertiary character.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I do think that Emelia Clarke is the weakest actor/actress among the major characters, and she is having trouble pulling off Dany's inner conflicts as ruler. Instead of a young woman put in a position of authority beyond her experience, she comes across as an idiot. She seems like a more likable version of Joffrey at times, which I don't think is intended. Overall, the show has hit the cover off the ball with its original casting, but in a cast this large, there are bound to be some mistakes.

Comes across as someone hired to do a job that is beyond them because of their name or their looks.

She reminds me of the hot bartender that can't make a decent drink. Not that I've ever been to a bar...

So, maybe she is doing it correctly.

Reaction Score
That is my point. Dany is supposed to be more conflicted and layered, and she ends up coming off like an idiot. Maybe that is the writers' fault, but most of the other actors don't have that problem. Even bit players are 3 dimensional. Before this season started, i was rewatching season 4. The scene where Arya and the Hound come across the dying farmer is a fantastic scene. The farmer is one step above an extra, and in 4 minutes of screen time he imparts a lot of emotion and depth. Dany is on the screen for about 20% of each show, and she still seems two dimensional.

I can't tell if the issue is with the character or the actress. She's very wooden in her performance - like she belongs in one of the Star Wars prequels. But the conflicts and layers of Daenerys are demonstrated, even in the books, by the poor decisions that she makes. It's tough to convey that on screen without making her look like an idiot.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if the issue is with the character or the actress. She's very wooden in her performance - like she belongs in one of the Star Wars prequels. But the conflicts and layers of Daenerys are demonstrated, even in the books, by the poor decisions that she makes. It's tough to convey that on screen without making her look like an idiot.

She's by far the worst character in the book. If Martin wrote a chapter in the next book that read, in full, "Daenerys slipped, fell, and died," it'd be my favorite chapter in the whole series.

At least on screen we get to see . Or used to, I suppose.

Reaction Score
The problem with D. is that she hasn't evolved. In the beginning, it worked because she was a bit naive and was thrust into a position of power. Now she is even more powerful and she still appears naive. She's powerful because of dragons, a birthright and an Army. She is just not formidable enough on her own to be believable. Hopefully Tyrion can make her storyline more interesting.

Reaction Score
I thought last nights episode was very good. We got a lot of plot line evolving and a few scenes that will likely become bigger events, eg Jorah Mormont coming back and Qyburns Frankenstein paying us a short visit. I'm really intrigued to see what happens with Sansa back at Winterfell. I'm sure my fellow book readers would agree.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Huge departure from the books is actually being well received on the Intertubes. Ramsey's character had some issues in the prior seasons (and in the books) that were causing fan interest in him to flame out a bit. It is hard for such a freak show to be credible as a leader of the North, as even Roose points out. I don't know where they are going to take this plot line, although given Baelish's history, he will have no problem killing off Ramsey given what he did with Joffrey. With Brienne on her way, you almost feel a little worried for Ramsey. The Roose Bolton character is much, much more interesting in the show than he was in ADWD, and the engagement to Sansa is exactly the kind of thing the Book Roose would have done prior to Martin getting bored with him and making him 2 dimensional in ADWD.

I am a little disappointed that the show didn't go for a little more comedy at the brothel prior to the rendezvous with Mormont.

Natalie Dormer is killing it. She may be in line for an Emmy. Or maybe I can't stop staring at her when she is on screen.

If I was Martin, I might be a bit concerned that at least according to fan sites like towerofthehand, the hardcore book readers seem to be enjoying where the show is deviating from the books. In other words, the HBO writing crew is better than Martin.

If the next book is a big, bloated mess like I expect, sales will suck. Why read martin's version of Westeros when the HBO version is better with fewer plotholes?

Reaction Score
You're worried for Ramsey? I think Baelish wants the North and the realm he already has.

I really enjoyed the Jon Snow storyline this week. He's already more cutthroat and clever than what little we saw of Ned Stark. I think Stannis was getting excited watching him lop that head off. "Whoever said that didn't have many enemies." Too easy, I'll just humiliate and kill one.

Reaction Score
I think Stannis was getting excited watching him lop that head off. "Whoever said that didn't have many enemies." Too easy, I'll just humiliate and kill one.

People shouldn't forget that Lord Janis betrayed Ned Stark and is responsible for Ned losing his head as much as anybody else. John was just handed a convenient excuse for avenging Ned.

I'm very interested in where the storyline is going for Sansa. She just got delivered into the hands of the one person evil enough to rejuvenate Theon's character in fans' eyes after a pretty wicked betrayal. Good times in the offing . . . .

Reaction Score
People shouldn't forget that Lord Janis betrayed Ned Stark and is responsible for Ned losing his head as much as anybody else. John was just handed a convenient excuse for avenging Ned.

I'm very interested in where the storyline is going for Sansa. She just got delivered into the hands of the one person evil enough to rejuvenate Theon's character in fans' eyes after a pretty wicked betrayal. Good times in the offing . . . .

Totally forgot about the Lod Janis bit.

I am actually really glad that I didn't read the books now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the next book is a big, bloated mess like I expect, sales will suck. Why read martin's version of Westeros when the HBO version is better with fewer plotholes?

If the book is a big, bloated mess like you expect, it will sell like it's made of cocaine and unicorn spoof.

The man has a license to print money and if the next GOT book is nothing but medieval fart jokes, it will still sell in the bazillions.

Reaction Score
Natalie Dormer is killing it. She may be in line for an Emmy. Or maybe I can't stop staring at her when she is on screen.

Natalie Dormer is by far my favorite piece of eye candy in the whole series. Is there anyone else even in contention for the crown?

Reaction Score
Natalie Dormer is by far my favorite piece of eye candy in the whole series. Is there anyone else even in contention for the crown?
The New York rags were doing previews of this season & one of them had photos & bios of the actresses who will be playing the parts of the Sand Snakes. They don't look too shabby. But, Natalie is stunning. I hope that she reprises her part as Moriarty on Elementary also.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
If the book is a big, bloated mess like you expect, it will sell like it's made of cocaine and unicorn spoof. The man has a license to print money and if the next GOT book is nothing but medieval fart jokes, it will still sell in the bazillions.

That's assuming it ever actually gets finished and put up for sale.

Reaction Score
I haven't read a single word of a book, but I have to think Theon snaps out of his "Reek" state of mind to help Sansa not end up with Ramsey, no?

Reaction Score
I haven't read a single word of a book, but I have to think Theon snaps out of his "Reek" state of mind to help Sansa not end up with Ramsey, no?

I think Jon Snow intervenes in this one somehow as well.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Deepster said:

It was a shocker to the book readers. Though in the end it may not mean anything if the resolution (still unwritten) remains the same.

I'm really curious what they do with this wrinkle.

Much of the entire episode was off book, yet still within the general story framework. An impressive feat by the show producers. The Sansa thing is a bit weird, but the rest is a better version of the story.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
I think Jon Snow intervenes in this one somehow as well.

I think tormund does

Reaction Score
With Ygritte gone, no.
I've been watching unhealthy amounts of GoT these past two weeks to get caught up to the current episodes. Man, Ygritte getting killed off hit me right in the feels. Was my favorite character on the show and probably the hottest as well. Sucks that a kid named Ollie did it, can never look at KO the same.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Very well done. As an FYI for show watchers that have not read the books, I don't see how there are any book spoilers any more. Every key plotline has diverged dramatically from the books.

Baelish's scheme has a few minor holes in it, but overall is solid. I wonder what will happen to him back in Kings Landing. Obviously, something pretty awful is going to happen to Sansa in Winterfell.

Having Loras arrested by the Faith makes a lot more sense than what Martin did in the book. It would have helped to have some explanation of why Cersei allowed the High Sparrow to get an army. I expect the Queen of Thorns to go gangster on the Faith and the Lannisters. Cersei is an idiot, but there should be some explanation of why she is not worried about that risk.

The show is doing a great job of showing the unravelling of the Lannister power without Tywin at the helm.

The Stannis scenes were great. In the book, there are times where I just do not get the character or particularly care. In the show, you get a better picture of a very moral man so desperate for power that he will rationalize almost anything in his pursuit of it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Very well done. As an FYI for show watchers that have not read the books, I don't see how there are any book spoilers any more. Every key plotline has diverged dramatically from the books.

Baelish's scheme has a few minor holes in it, but overall is solid. I wonder what will happen to him back in Kings Landing. Obviously, something pretty awful is going to happen to Sansa in Winterfell.

Having Loras arrested by the Faith makes a lot more sense than what Martin did in the book. It would have helped to have some explanation of why Cersei allowed the High Sparrow to get an army. I expect the Queen of Thorns to go gangster on the Faith and the Lannisters. Cersei is an idiot, but there should be some explanation of why she is not worried about that risk.

The show is doing a great job of showing the unravelling of the Lannister power without Tywin at the helm.

The Stannis scenes were great. In the book, there are times where I just do not get the character or particularly care. In the show, you get a better picture of a very moral man so desperate for power that he will rationalize almost anything in his pursuit of it.

I think there are still plenty of spoilers as the major event time line is still very much in play. Most of the changes are replacements for other minor plot points using existing characters instead of new one's or fill in new material to set up the major plot points.

I also see a bit of new material for character journeys that the books stopped short or didn't move forward.

Sansa is the obvious departure that does all three of those things.

Littlefinger is standing in for another character in Kings Landing.

Jamie and Braun are doing the same, with Jamie's story in a new location.

Tryion and Mormont are going to end up in the same place via a different route.

Danny is still on the same path but may absorb the storyline of a missing character or not if that character appears.

Jon Snow and Stannis are still on the book arc, but my bet is they depart from it next season or late this season.

The Dorne scenes are still mostly in addressed but look to be a reasonable adaptation.

I say all this as merely a warning that the night is still dark and full of spoilers. But, I find the divergence entertaining and maddening at the same time.

Reaction Score

Book Stannis is the equivalent of Les Miserables' Javert. He was deprived as a child of a lot of basic human needs as the least of the 3 Baratheon brothers charisma wise and reacts by making himself into a perfectly rigid paragon of earthly virtue, even at the expense or spiritual morality. I love him.

Reaction Score

She probably assumes that by having the two primary men of the house as captives with knives at their throats, she has leverage. Seems to be the reason for the departure from the book storyline as it relates to Mace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom