Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Reaction Score
I liked it. It wasn't over the top dramatic with gratuitous scenes of blood, violence, sex, etc..., but a lot of subtle positioning and introduction of events to come going on, and the events at the wall - "You know nothing Jon Snow". I'm very curious to see how the show depcits Tyrion's journey compared to the book. Arya's too. Glad it is back, and episode 1 was pretty much what I figured it would be.

Reaction Score
Speaking of GoT.... Jon Snow as a dinner guest at Seth Meyers. Pretty good skit if you haven't seen it.

Reaction Score
So Mance not accepting a truce and beig burned at the stake, with Jon defying Stannis by killing Mance off, counts as "nothing." Tyrion getting set to travek to Meereen to meet Danny isn't anything either. Danny facing the hypocrisy of her upending slavery, to a fault, while keeping her children locked up and challenging her ideals as a queen and ruler? Meh. Yup, nothing significant there, folks

Not to mention this was a premiere. Remember when you fools were whining about how nothing was happening in true detective? Be adults and understand there are multiple large plot arcs going on here and we can't just jump right in to a bunch of in the first 45 minutes.

Geez. Pardon me for having an opinion. Would love to see a two first episode. What we saw was a neccesary stage setter. But nearly enough to sink your teeth into.

I actually enjoyed the Cersei flashback. She's literally running around thinking that she is a bit doomed. It's a good insight.

The dragons seemed like a metaphor for Dan's empire. Both are too big and unmanageable for her illusion of absolute control. To get some control back she is going to have to loosen the reigns.

I thought Mance's decision was strange. If he's all about freedom then he should have presented the proposal to his people. They can't expect to get freedom and land for free right? Him making that decision unilaterally seemed inconsistent with the values he claimed to be upholding. So I guess he is leaving some work for Jon Snow.

Reaction Score
The potential of the midget, Kojak, and blonde chick getting together ( with orwithout dragons) has very good potential. Tyrion is a great character...as is Farris. And they are good together.

Reaction Score
The potential of the midget, Kojak, and blonde chick getting together ( with orwithout dragons) has very good potential. Tyrion is a great character...as is Farris. And they are good together.

"The Dragon must have three heads,"---Danny, Tyrion and John Snow are my predictions for the three eventual dragon-riders.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"The Dragon must have three heads,"---Danny, Tyrion and John Snow are my predictions for the three eventual dragon-riders.

Danaerys was a wrong step from becoming a seared steak in the last episode. Viserys and Rhaegar do not look that rideable at the moment.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Gotta be a warg thing going on with the dragons, so Bran (total guess, non-book reader here).

Reaction Score
Danaerys was a wrong step from becoming a seared steak in the last episode. Viserys and Rhaegar do not look that rideable at the moment.

True, but Fatso's lost control of his own series ending, timing-wise at least. So maybe they'll be tamed relatively sooner rather than later (assuming I am right folks---this isn't spoiler stuff, just speculation). It's gotta happen eventually. I mean, the Game of Thrones is just a distraction from the more traditional fantasy battle with the Others in the North---the Song of Ice and Fire.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're take is going to prove predictive and HBO will clean up Martin's messes. HBO has made me more interested in the story than Martin himself now. I never thought that'd happen, but it has, likely because I can see a light at the end of the tunnel finally. When you start a story in the 90s, and the penultimate book doesn't even have a release date in 2015, that light is very welcome.

P.s. I agree with what you earlier wrote about Martin losing control too. It's not the writing, as you said, because he's a great writer. It's the editing, which has failed to rein in more and more tangential plotlines. That's actually not uncommon in fantasy writing because the genre is basically all serialized novels. Often, when an author blows up based on an incomplete work, he gets too big for an editor to control and the incomplete series tanks a bit. I'd say even J.K. Rowling slipped once due to that phenomena---her 5th book was a tome of teenage angst needing some good scissors to cut down to size, but who was going to tell her?

Reaction Score
Gotta be a warg thing going on with the dragons, so Bran (total guess, non-book reader here).

Your HBO knowledge makes your opinion just as good as mine. I wouldn't give anything away if I thought the later books helped my speculation in any manner. Promise!

Here's my theory---John Snow is not Ned Stark's daughter. He is the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryean and Ned 's sister (Rhaegar's "abduction" of Ned's sister is what led to Robert and Ned's rebellion). Also, Tyrion isn't a Lannister. He's the bastard son of King Arys Targaryean and Tywin Lannister's wife (this might come only from the books, albeit the early ones, but we know the Mad King "admired" Tywin's wife).

Only Targs can stand heat like Danny has exhibited an ability to do (remember she walked in the flames to birth the dragons and takes scalding hot baths in Episode 1 of Season 1? Rewatched some in prep for this season . . . .). And only Targs ever rode dragons. So . . . We need three Targs for three dragons. We have Danny, and my theory is aimed at finding numbers 2 and 3. John's her nephew through Rhaegar and Tyrion's her hakf-brother through the Mad King.....

Reaction Score

I thought she was impervious to fire?

Reaction Score
True, but Fatso's lost control of his own series ending, timing-wise at least. So maybe they'll be tamed relatively sooner rather than later (assuming I am right folks---this isn't spoiler stuff, just speculation). It's gotta happen eventually. I mean, the Game of Thrones is just a distraction from the more traditional fantasy battle with the Others in the North---the Song of Ice and Fire.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're take is going to prove predictive and HBO will clean up Martin's messes. HBO has made me more interested in the story than Martin himself now. I never thought that'd happen, but it has, likely because I can see a light at the end of the tunnel finally. When you start a story in the 90s, and the penultimate book doesn't even have a release date in 2015, that light is very welcome.

P.s. I agree with what you earlier wrote about Martin losing control too. It's not the writing, as you said, because he's a great writer. It's the editing, which has failed to rein in more and more tangential plotlines. That's actually not uncommon in fantasy writing because the genre is basically all serialized novels. Often, when an author blows up based on an incomplete work, he gets too big for an editor to control and the incomplete series tanks a bit. I'd say even J.K. Rowling slipped once due to that phenomena---her 5th book was a tome of teenage angst needing some good scissors to cut down to size, but who was going to tell her?

I have read the entire series, but I struggled to get through the last two books. I thought FFC was an absolute slog, and I was somewhat relieved just to finish DWD so I could be done with the series for awhile.

Reaction Score
I thought she was impervious to fire?

Kind of a misconception. Maybe it's only really spelled out in the books but the reason she isn't burned when her dragon eggs hatched was b/c that witch who killed Drogo used some kind of magic to make Dany literally a mother of dragons

Reaction Score
Kind of a misconception. Maybe it's only really spelled out in the books but the reason she isn't burned when her dragon eggs hatched was b/c that witch who killed Drogo used some kind of magic to make Dany literally a mother of dragons

I don't remember that - but that being said, one huge issue I have is keeping all the characters and stories straight due to all the plots/sub-plots/sub-sub-plots/plots that go nowhere/etc/etc/etc

Reaction Score

Hmmm. I don't know if Danny is fire proof, but I think she's certainly fire resistant. She walks through the flames to birth her dragons, and I don't think that's the witch's doing. I can also think of a DWD example I won't reveal, when Danny does better near flames than most humans would . . .

All the witch did was give Danny the clue to figuring out how to hatch the eggs---by using death. The witch saved Dying Drogo as Vegetable Drogo by stealing Danny's unborn baby's life. That was the clue. Someone had to die. Less than happy with her bargain for Vegetable Drogo, Danny decides the witch herself will serve in the next ceremony, and she burns the witch to perform the magic dragon-birthing thingy.

All in all, the witch was not a willing participant . . . .

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
already binged the first 4 leaked episodes. have to wait until May to join this conversation.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Your HBO knowledge makes your opinion just as good as mine. I wouldn't give anything away if I thought the later books helped my speculation in any manner. Promise! Here's my theory---John Snow is not Ned Stark's daughter. He is the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryean and Ned 's sister (Rhaegar's "abduction" of Ned's sister is what led to Robert and Ned's rebellion). Also, Tyrion isn't a Lannister. He's the bastard son of King Arys Targaryean and Tywin Lannister's wife (this might come only from the books, albeit the early ones, but we know the Mad King "admired" Tywin's wife). Only Targs can stand heat like Danny has exhibited an ability to do (remember she walked in the flames to birth the dragons and takes scalding hot baths in Episode 1 of Season 1? Rewatched some in prep for this season . . . .). And only Targs ever rode dragons. So . . . We need three Targs for three dragons. We have Danny, and my theory is aimed at finding numbers 2 and 3. John's her nephew through Rhaegar and Tyrion's her hakf-brother through the Mad King.....
Almost spoiler-y I believe you are on the money. It's Tyron, john, and Dany who ride the 3 because they are all Targaryens. r+L= J is a pretty much universally acknowledged now, but nobody talks about Tyrion. The give away is his 2 different colored eyes, one being purple, which is tell tale Targaryens.

Reaction Score
Almost spoiler-y I believe you are on the money. It's Tyron, john, and Dany who ride the 3 because they are all Targaryens. r+L= J is a pretty much universally acknowledged now, but nobody talks about Tyrion. The give away is his 2 different colored eyes, one being purple, which is tell tale Targaryens.

I never thought about the eyes. I figure (1) Lord Tywin wouldn't have given up his Hand-ship under King Arys merely because Cersei wasn't married to Rhaegar, (2) a kingly infatuation with his beloved wife might just justify an ambitious man giving up power to hide in a big rock with a name, and (3) Tyrion's been built up for big things. As much as we liked him killing papa, I think Martin will give him a nice little dragon to rescue him from the crime of fratricide.

The John prediction is still only a prediction, but I will never offer up another guess if that one proves wrong. It's been clear since the first book. Honorable Ned gave his dying sister a promise, a promise as yet unrevealed, returned home with a "bastard" baby birthed around that time, and then forbade his wife from ever inquiring into John's mother's identity. And that's the only thing he ever withheld from her.

Yeah, nothing hidden there......Biggest remaining question on that is who is going to make the reveal and when. I'm getting impatient.

August_West

Reaction Score
I never thought about the eyes. I figure (1) Lord Tywin wouldn't have given up his Hand-ship under King Arys merely because Cersei wasn't married to Rhaegar, (2) a kingly infatuation with his beloved wife might just justify an ambitious man giving up power to hide in a big rock with a name, and (3) Tyrion's been built up for big things. As much as we liked him killing papa, I think Martin will give him a nice little dragon to rescue him from the crime of fratricide.

Well is it still fratricide if Tywin really wasn't his father? There is your out right there. I think Tywin knew that Tyrion was not his son, and that is why he was so horrible to him (we are made to assume that it is Tywin's distaste for Tyrion being a dwarf, but I think it was deeper stuff than that). Also I think Varys knows Tyrion's true bloodline and it explains his unwavering aid to and protection of Tyrion every step of the series.

Reaction Score
Well is it still fratricide if Tywin really wasn't his father? There is your out right there. I think Tywin knew that Tyrion was not his son, and that is why he was so horrible to him (we are made to assume that it is Tywin's distaste for Tyrion being a dwarf, but I think it was deeper stuff than that). Also I think Varys knows Tyrion's true bloodline and it explains his unwavering aid to and protection of Tyrion every step of the series.

100% agree on Tywin. It's the real reason why he refused Tyrion Casterly Rock when Tyrion asked to be acknowledged as the rightful heir following his successful defense of King's Landing. Can't have a non-Lannister on the proverbial throne of the Lannisters. I figure the only reason Baby Tyrion wasn't left on a mountainside for the vultures is because of (1) Tywin's love for his wife, who reportedly is the only person Tywin ever actually loved as an individual human being, instead of as an extension of himself, (2) fear of the Mad King's wroth, or (3) concern that killing Tyrion would have somehow helped the secret out and embarrass either him as a cuckold or his wife unfairly as an adulteress (it's possible she was raped by the Arys, which would explain Tywin's continued loyalty).

Also, love your thinking on Varys. Never occurred to me, but it makes sense and could explain a lot about Varys's actions. Keep them coming . . . .

August_West

Reaction Score
100% agree on Tywin. It's the real reason why he refused Tyrion Casterly Rock when Tyrion asked to be acknowledged as the rightful heir following his successful defense of King's Landing. Can't have a non-Lannister on the proverbial throne of the Lannisters. I figure the only reason Baby Tyrion wasn't left on a mountainside for the vultures is because of (1) Tywin's love for his wife, who reportedly is the only person Tywin ever actually loved as an individual human being, instead of as an extension of himself, (2) fear of the Mad King's wroth, or (3) concern that killing Tyrion would have somehow helped the secret out and embarrass either him as a cuckold or his wife unfairly as an adulteress (it's possible she was raped by the Arys, which would explain Tywin's continued loyalty). Also, love your thinking on Varys. Never occurred to me, but it makes sense and could explain a lot about Varys's actions. Keep them coming . . . .

Well one more at least. It can deepen the motive for Jamie Lannister being a Kingslsyer

Reaction Score
"Also, love your thinking on Varys. Never occurred to me, but it makes sense and could explain a lot about Varys's actions. Keep them coming . . . ."

Or perhaps Varys is his real father (before he became an eunuch). Varys looks to be out 50 and Tyrion about 30-35 so it is possible.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Tyrion, Dany and Snow all end up riding Dragons to some kind of Targarean victory, I will be really, really pissed off. That is Lord of the Rings-type stuff where everyone was born into whatever happens and they can't escape their fate. I hope Martin doesn't cop out with such a silly ending.

August_West

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
If Tyrion, Dany and Snow all end up riding Dragons to some kind of Targarean victory, I will be really, really pissed off. That is Lord of the Rings-type stuff where everyone was born into whatever happens and they can't escape their fate. I hope Martin doesn't cop out with such a silly ending.

I think it happens at some point but it may not be the " end" or to "victory"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom