Game of Thrones - Season 5 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am getting jacked for Sunday.

Same rule as before: No book spoilers, although this season the show will cross the ending of the books or diverge from them completely with several plot lines.

Early reviews are very positive.

Reaction Score
The only thing that could possibly keep my crew from watching on Sunday night would be a power outage. (Maybe I should think on purchasing an emergency generator)

Reaction Score
The only thing that could possibly keep my crew from watching on Sunday night would be a power outage. (Maybe I should think on purchasing an emergency generator)

The HBO Now app has a 30 day trial. You don't need a cable subscription to download the app and watch this Sunday. You're all set as long as your iPad is charged.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with the review. Martin's plotline for the Eyrie has some serious issues, which HBO cleaned up. I also agree about the improvements in the Tyrion plotline. I actually liked the new Iron Islanders in book 4 and 5, who are very important in the books, but may not be making it into the show.

Reaction Score
Wait, one of the dragons is loose and roaming the countryside? For some reason I missed that last season or I'm just not remembering.

Reaction Score
44813312.jpg

Reaction Score
Spoiler Alert; Don't read today's Daily News TV section. It basically is a synopsis of Sunday Night's episode.

Reaction Score
There's a new chapter of the forthcoming book available online at Martin's website for those interested. He released it to celebrate the new season.

Reaction Score
So . . . Ho hum on Episode One? Tyrion is as awesome a character as ever, but in the grand scheme of things nothing happens. Just tying up loose ends from Season Four.

Reaction Score
So . . . Ho hum on Episode One? Tyrion is as awesome a character as ever, but in the grand scheme of things nothing happens. Just tying up loose ends from Season Four.

Yeah. Pretty typical for a season premiere. Didn't even get to see Arya and the Sand Snakes. Setting the scene for some big plots soon to be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought it was excellent, as the show continues to clean up Martin's messes. Shrinking Danaerys' Small Council is a HUGE improvement over the books. As noted above, the Eyrie plotline makes a lot more sense than the book version does, and I think Tyrion and Varys' excellent adventure will be a big improvement over the mess in the book.

Bringing Lancel and Kevin Lannister back is a good way to consolidate some of the Kings Landing threads too.

Reaction Score
I thought it was excellent, as the show continues to clean up Martin's messes. Shrinking Danaerys' Small Council is a HUGE improvement over the books. As noted above, the Eyrie plotline makes a lot more sense than the book version does, and I think Tyrion and Varys' excellent adventure will be a big improvement over the mess in the book.

Bringing Lancel and Kevin Lannister back is a good way to consolidate some of the Kings Landing threads too.

I don't see all that much different than the books except for maybe wherever Petyr is bringing Sansa (I don't think it was made explicit) and maybe something to do with the King Beyond the Wall (I am trying to allude to it without giving away anything and hope I have said enough). What am I missing?

Reaction Score
Stage setter. Really wish they would open with two episodes. Kind of unsatisfying.

Reaction Score
Stage setter. Really wish they would open with two episodes. Kind of unsatisfying.

Alright, now that a couple of people have agreed, here's my big fear---it's not an episodic accident. If you're a fan of the books, you probably think the series begins to tank later on. There's a whole lotta nuttin going on as the series begins to mire in one meaningless meander after another.

Not saying HBO can't do better. I hope Waylon's take is better than my own, that HBO is cleaning up Martin's messes. But I imagine there's a limit on how much it can/will diverge from the books.

Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
So Mance not accepting a truce and beig burned at the stake, with Jon defying Stannis by killing Mance off, counts as "nothing." Tyrion getting set to travek to Meereen to meet Danny isn't anything either. Danny facing the hypocrisy of her upending slavery, to a fault, while keeping her children locked up and challenging her ideals as a queen and ruler? Meh. Yup, nothing significant there, folks

Not to mention this was a premiere. Remember when you fools were whining about how nothing was happening in true detective? Be adults and understand there are multiple large plot arcs going on here and we can't just jump right in to a bunch of in the first 45 minutes.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The first four episodes have leaked and you can find them at your friendly neighborhood pirate torrenting site (including popcorn time). I am going to have to exercise serious willpower to not binge, but the idea add having to wait another month for new episodes will probably work.

Reaction Score
So Mance not accepting a truce and beig burned at the stake, with Jon defying Stannis by killing Mance off, counts as "nothing." Tyrion getting set to travek to Meereen to meet Danny isn't anything either. Danny facing the hypocrisy of her upending slavery, to a fault, while keeping her children locked up and challenging her ideals as a queen and ruler? Meh. Yup, nothing significant there, folks

Not to mention this was a premiere. Remember when you fools were whining about how nothing was happening in true detective? Be adults and understand there are multiple large plot arcs going on here and we can't just jump right in to a bunch of in the first 45 minutes.

Eeeeasy. Just one man's opinion. One man who's never seen True Detective and who's fully aware of the plot arcs involved here because he's read and listened to the underlying books more than once. Let's wait a bit before we start throwing names around because we disagree over a single television episode. I might say something truly horrendous, eventually, like I wish Danyares dies off or something (I do).

Reaction Score
The first four episodes have leaked and you can find them at your friendly neighborhood pirate torrenting site (including popcorn time). I am going to have to exercise serious willpower to not binge, but the idea add having to wait another month for new episodes will probably work.

I saw that.

But with Mad Men and Silicon Valley, I have enough to keep my hands full. Plus the season finale of the Americans.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Alright, now that a couple of people have agreed, here's my big fear---it's not an episodic accident. If you're a fan of the books, you probably think the series begins to tank later on. There's a whole lotta nuttin going on as the series begins to mire in one meaningless meander after another.

Not saying HBO can't do better. I hope Waylon's take is better than my own, that HBO is cleaning up Martin's messes. But I imagine there's a limit on how much it can/will diverge from the books.

Fingers crossed.

I liked ADWD a lot, and even tolerated AFFC. I enjoy the world Martin's created enough that I can tolerate it when Brienne walks around in circles for 200 pages in AFFC. I thought ADWD was the second best book of the series and has my favorite scene of the whole series. The "messes" I refer to are Martin making some plot direction choices that barely hold together in the book but won't work at all in a TV Show (such as the treatment of Sansa at the Eyrie). I knew that the Tyrion plot arc in Essos would have to be completely rewritten even as I was reading it in ADWD.

I think of this as poor editing by Martin rather than poor writing. Given that there are roughly 9-10 separate plotlines, I am not too upset that a couple of them don't work. I loved the scenes on Pyke, which were apparently cut from the show altogether.

The first episode was excellent. Jaime and Cersei set the foundation for their plotline, as do Petyr and Sansa, and Tyrion and Varys. In Season 1, Varys and the guy from Pentos are walking in the tunnels under the Red Keep and talking about bringing back the Targarean's. Here we are 4 seasons later, and Varys is finally coming clean. Brienne was a little nasty to Podrick, which didn't make sense.

I was a little surprised at them offing Mance. Stannis should be smart enough to realize that Mance was holding the Wildlings together, and writing Mance off so quickly will make it hard to bring them over to Stannis' cause.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom